Daily Current Affairs : February 12, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (Febraury 12, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Productivity Day
- National Productivity Day is observed on 12 February annually to increase the productivity culture in India
- Theme: “Circular Economy for Productivity & Sustainability”
International Darwin Day
- Darwin Day is a celebration to commemorate the birthday of Charles Darwin on 12 February 1809
- Theme: “Sequencing Life For The Future Of Life”
Top 20 Smart Cities to help bottom 20 as Sister Cities
- Housing & Urban Affairs Ministry has paired up 20 best performing cities with the 20 bottom cities & they will work as sister cities.
- Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Tiruppur ranked 1st,2nd & 3rd respectively as the best performing cities, as per the internal rankings. Varanasi is paired up with another holy city Amritsar.
Haryana launches ‘Reading Mission’ initiative for students
- The state government of Haryana has launched an initiative called ‘Reading Mission- Haryana’. The initiative was launched to encourage reading habit among the young students of the state.
- The scheme is on the lines of the ‘Reading Mission 2022’, launched by the central government.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
- National Parks (NP)- Sultanpur NP, Kalesar NP
- Dance- Phag, Dhamal, Loor, Khoria.
Rajasthan to create separate identity card for the transgender community
- A major initiative by the Rajasthan Government to connect the transgender community with the mainstream society has been undertaken. Separate identity cards will be issued for transgenders in the state to get the benefit of government jobs & schemes.
- The number of transgenders in the state is more than one lakh.
- Capital: Jaipur
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
Kerala to host global meet on climate change, ocean health
- ClimFishCon 2020, a 3-day international conference on the impact of climate change on ‘hydrological cycle, ecosystem, fisheries and food security’ will begin on 12 February in Kochi.
- Organizers-CUSAT & the Department of Fisheries, Kerala.
Mumbai, Kolkata see highest women, child trafficking cases: NCRB study
- The highest incidence of children & women being trafficked were observed from the cities of Mumbai & Kolkata, according to the National Crime Records Bureau study.
- West Bengal was 2nd both in number of missing children & women.
DGT Proposes to Issue Digital E-Credentials or E-Certificates
- Directorate General of Training, Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship proposes to issue digital e-Credentials/e-Certificates which are freely portable for candidates but continue to allow print and other visual forms for human consumption.
Andhra Pradesh signs MoUs with 11 institutions to help agriculture sector
- Andra Pradesh signed MoUs with 11 reputed institutes in the country as knowledge partners in the presence of CM YS Jagan Mohan Reddy.
- Objective of the MoUs is to impart technology & knowledge transfer to farmers.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances– Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park– Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Disaster Management Exercise of BIMSTEC NDRF begins in Bhubaneswar
- The National Disaster Response Force of Government of India is to host the second BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise-2020 (BIMSTEC DMEx-2020). The exercise is to be held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- The exercise is held under the Theme: A Cultural Heritage Site that suffers severe damage in the Earthquake and Flooding or Storm
Lightweight New bullet proof jacket named “Bhabha Kavach” developed by BARC
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre developed a new bullet proof jacket called Bhabha Kavach. The jackets are to be used by the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
- The nominal weight of the jacket is 6.8kg. Technologies used: Carbon nanotube & hot-pressed boron carbide.
Mumbai to get India’s largest air quality monitoring network
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation will develop an air quality monitoring network across 90 locations in Mumbai, making it the largest network in India. Delhi has 38 air quality monitors in present.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
MeitY (Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology) grants Rs 44 lakh to 8 Warangal start-ups under TIDE scheme
- Warangal-based tech incubator SRiX has disbursed grant-in-aid worth Rs 44 lakh to 8 start-ups under the Technology Incubation and Development of Entrepreneurs (TIDE) 2.0 scheme under the aegis of the Union Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology
Web Portal launched to provide star rating of coal mines
- Ministry of coal launched web portal in New Delhi to provide star rating of coal mines. Based on the star rating the highest scoring mines are to be awarded
- In order to reduce coal imports, Ministry of Coal has set target of 1 billion tonnes by 2023-24.
Sangeet Natak Akademi to compile National List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- Sangeet Natak Akademi (SNA) is collaborating with Zonal Cultural Centers of Ministry of Culture, for preparing a list of ICH elements for National List of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
- At least 100 elements will be documented by March 2020.
Jitendra Singh to launch CPGRAMS Reforms at the National Workshop on e-Office in Delhi
- Jitendra Singh will launch the CPGRAMS (Central Public Grievance Redress and Monitoring System) Reforms at the National Workshop on e-office in New Delhi.
- Extension of implementation of e-office in Subordinate offices of ministries will be discussed.
Uttar Pradesh cabinet approved Ground Water Act, 2020
- Uttar Pradesh approved the Ground Water Act-2020. The act aims to improve ground water level.
- It makes the registration of submersible pumps & rainwater harvesting in all private schools & colleges mandatory.
- The farmers need not pay fees to use the pumps.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
United States-India Strategic and Partnership Forum held in Washington
- US-India Strategic and Partnership Forum in Washington has said that bilateral trade between India and the US has got momentum in recent times and it is moving in favour of Washington.
CCI approves formation of Joint venture between M&M and FMC
- Competition Commission of India approves formation of a joint venture between Mahindra & Mahindra and Ford Motor and the transfer of the automotive business of Ford India to the Joint venture.
- Ford Motor Comapany is an American automobile company.
Karen Pierce appointed first female British ambassador to US
- Dame Karen Pierce, the UK’s permanent representative to the UN, has been appointed Britain’s ambassador to US, becoming the first woman to hold the position – the most prominent in the diplomatic service.
- She replaced Kim Darroch who resigned recently.
- She earlier served as the UK’s ambassador to Afghanistan.
Amazon invests 1.5 billion USD for two Data Centres under Data Centre Policy of Telangana
- The E-Commerce Giant Amazon Web Services has planned to invest 1.5 billion USD to set up two data centres in Hyderabad.
- The private firm will be helped by the Telangana Government under its Data Centre Policy.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Chief Minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- National Parks(NP)- Kasu Brahmananda Reddy NP, Mahaveer Harina NP, Mrugavani NP.
Banking and Technology
Lending from CRR buffer to get 5-year exemption
- The RBI has said that the special lending window with Cash Reserve Ratio exemption will be open from 14th of February for six months ending 31st of July, and incremental loans disbursed under this facility will have CRR exemption for the next five years.
- Net Demand & Time Liabilities is calculated as of 31 January.
NIFM, Faridabad renamed ‘Arun Jaitley National Institute of Financial Management’
- The Centre has decided to rename the National Institute of Financial Management, Faridabad, as ‘Arun Jaitley National Institute of Financial Management’ (AJNIFM).
- NIFM, Faridabad was set up in 1993 as a registered society under the Ministry of Finance. Union Finance Minister is the President of the NIFM society.
Medical devices now under Drugs and Cosmetics Act
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has brought medical devices within the regulatory ambit, treating them as a category of ‘drugs’ for the purpose of regulating them under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act (DCA). A list of 37 devices has been included.
- Drugs and Cosmetics Act (DCA) was passed in 1940.
Rajesh Magow to take over CEO of MakeMyTrip after Kalra steps down
- Online travel agency MakeMyTrip’s founder Deep Kalra has stepped down as group chief executive officer (CEO) of the Gurugram-based company and will be succeeded by co-founder and India CEO Rajesh Magow.
Armand Duplantis sets pole vault world record in Poland
- European champion Armand Duplantis set a pole vault world record at a World Athletics Indoor Tour meeting in Poland. The USA-born Swede, 20, cleared 6.17m at the second attempt in Torun, Poland, to beat Olympian Frenchman Renaud Lavillenie’s previous mark.
- Holly Bradshaw won the women’s competition with 4.63m height.
India’s Lalremsiami named as 2019 FIH Women’s Rising Star of Year
- India forward Lalremsiami has been named as the 2019 FIH Women’s Rising Star of the Year by the International Hockey Federation.
- 19-year-old Lalremsiami took the prize ahead of Argentina’s Julieta Jankunas and Frederique Matla of the Netherlands.
Gulmarg all set to host five-day National Winter Games from March 7
- World-famous Ski destination Gulmarg is all set to host a five-day national winter games event from 7th March under the banner of Khelo India.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 12, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.