Daily Current Affairs : February 13, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (Febraury 12, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Radio Day
- World Radio day is observed every year on February 13, to raise greater awareness among the public and the media of the importance of radio.
- It is also meant to encourage decision makers to establish and provide access to information through radio.
- The theme of this year’s World Radio Day is “Radio and Diversity”.
National Security Guard organises 20th International Seminar against terrorsim at Manesar, Haryana
- National Security Guard (NSG) has organised the 20th International Seminar on “Comprehends the Evolving Contours of Terrorism & IED Threat-Wayahead for the Security Community” at Manesar, Haryana.
- The seminar was inaugurated by the Minister of State for Home Affairs, G. Kishan Reddy.
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
- National Parks (NP)- Sultanpur NP, Kalesar NP
Odisha Govt Signs MoU With HDFC Bank To Boost Startups
- Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Department under Odisha government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the HDFC Bank to provide smart banking solutions to Startups in the state.
- HDFC Bank CEO: Aditya Puri.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Ayushman Bharat beneficiaries to get assistance of up to Rs 15 lakh under Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi
- Ayushman Bharat beneficiaries not covered under various packages of the insurance programme and requiring high-cost treatment will be able to get financial assistance of up to 15 lakhs under the Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi (RAN) scheme.
- Ayushman Bharat Yojana,Launched: 25 September 2018
‘Engiexpo 2020’ to be held in Vadodara, Gujarat
- The 6th edition of the mega industrial exhibition ‘Engiexpo 2020’ is being organised in Vadodara, Gujarat.
- The three-day mega exhibition will be organised by the Federation of Small-Scale Industries (FSSI), to promote ‘Made in India’ products.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
President of Portugal Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa arrives in New Delhi
- Portugal President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa arrived in India on a 4-day visit.
- The 2 countries have active & growing cooperation in the field of economy & business, science & culture, & they share convergences on international Issues.
- Portugal Capital: Lisbon.
- Currency: Euro.
- Prime Minister: Antonio Costa.
- President: Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa
Railway Minister Piyush Goyal to inaugurate 1st phase of East – West Metro in Kolkata
- Railway Minister Piyush Goyal will inaugurate the first phase of East – West Metro in Kolkata.
- In this phase, trains will play from Salt Lake’s sector five to Salt Lake Stadium. Passenger services will start in this 5.8 Kilometres stretches.
Union Cabinet approves Pesticide Management Bill 2020
- The legislation will promote organic pesticides in the country.
- It has also given in-principle approval for capital infusion of 2,500 crore rupees in 3 Public Sector (Oriental, National & United India Insurance) General Insurance Companies.
India to host 13th COP of the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals in Gujarat
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting Shri Prakash Keshav Javadekar announced that the 13th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species (CMS) of Wild Animals, an Environment Treaty Supported by United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is going to hosted by India at Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
- Great Indian Bustard (Gibi) is chosen as official Mascot.
- The theme for the CMS COP 13 in India is, “Migratory species connect the planet and we welcome them Home”.
Amit Shah to inaugurate ‘Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking’ for BIMSTEC Partner Nations
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah will inaugurate a two-day ‘Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking’ for BIMSTEC Partner Nations in New Delhi.
- The conference is being organized by Narcotics Control Bureau.
- BIMSTEC Countries are Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand and India.
WHO officially names Coronavirus disease as “Covid-19”
- World Health Organization (WHO) has officially named the disease caused by the new coronavirus as “Covid-2019”.
- The new name “Covid-2019” has been taken from the word’s “corona”, “virus” and “disease”, with 2019 representing the year in which it emerged.
- WHO Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Director general: Tedros Adhanom
India and Iceland Signs MoU on Sustainable Fisheries Development
- Union Cabinet gave its approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) b/w India and Iceland in the field of sustainable fisheries development.
- There is a provision for training fisheries professionals from key institutions in various management aspects.
- Iceland capital- Reykjavik
- Currency Icelandic krona.
43rd Session of International fund for Agricultural Development
- The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) of the United Nations works to address hunger and poverty in developing countries. The 43rd session of the governing council of IFAD was held at Rome.
- It was announced at the council meet that with the current progress rate, it is not possible to achieve United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 2030.
Banking and Technology
RBI publishes draft framework for New Umbrella Entity (NUE) for retail payment systems
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) published a draft framework to set up a new pan-India New Umbrella Entity (NUE) for retail payment systems.
- It will be incorporated under the Companies Act, 2013 and will be given authorization by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) under Section 4 of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007 (PSS Act).
Ananth Technologies first Indian private firm to build foreign-owned satellites
- Aerospace firm Anand technologies (ATL), Hyderabad, has signed a deal to build 6 foreign-owned satellites in India.
- This is the 1st time a private firm is making satellites for global customers.
- The firm will soon open a satellite making facility in Bengaluru.
Facebook launches ‘We Think Digital’ programme
- Facebook launched its ‘We Think Digital’ programme, under which the social media giant will provide digital literacy training to 1 lakh women across seven states, including Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Bihar.
- “In partnership with National Commission for Women (NCW) and Cyber Peace Foundation.
Google launches internet safety campaign to celebrate Safer Internet Day
- Google India has launched a public outreach campaign termed Pehle Safety in order to build awareness around best practices for staying safe online in the country.
Awards & Recognitions
South Indian Bank bags 2 Awards at IBA Banking Technology Awards
- Indian Bank Association’s 15th Annual Banking Technology Conference, Expo and Awards 2020 held in Mumbai, Maharashtra in that South Indian Bank Has Bagged Two Awards at the Banking Technology category.
- South Indian Bank emerged winner in the ‘Most Customer Centric Bank Using Technology’ category and runner up in the ‘Best Payments Initiative’ category for Small Banks.
Union Ministry of Finance has notified ‘Printing of One Rupee Currency Notes Rules, 2020’
- Union Ministry of Finance has notified ‘Printing of One Rupee Currency Notes Rules, 2020’ which will feature bilingual signature of Shri Atanu Chakraborty, Secretary, Ministry of Finance.
- One Rupee Currency Note size 9.7 x 6.3 cms.
- The pink green colour note will have a design of grains, which depicts the “agricultural dominance of the country”.
- The design surrounding will be of the Sagar Samrat.
Atul Gupta elected as New President of Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) elected Atul Gupta as the President for the term 2020-21. Nihar Jambusaria is elected as the Vice President of the Institute.
- Tenure of the current President CA Prafulla P. Chhajed expired this Feb.
- ICAI was established on 1 July 1949.
Sarthak Behuria appointed as senior Advisor of Reliance Industries Limited
- Former Indian Oil and BPCL Chairman Sarthak Behuria has joined Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) as senior advisor.
- He will provide strategic direction and leadership to the new Reliance and BP joint venture focused on fuel retail business.
- Reliance Industries Limited CEO: Mukesh Ambani
Tata Trusts appoints old timer Srinath Narasimhan as CEO
- Tata Trusts named Tata group veteran Srinath Narasimhan as their first chief executive.
- Narasimhan, currently managing director of Tata Teleservices Ltd and Tata Teleservices (Maharashtra) Ltd, will take over his new assignment from 1 April.
- Sir Ratan Tata Trust (SRTT) came into being in 1919.
Books & Authors
Dharmendra Rai, Mind Map & Brain Literacy trainer launched his book “The Thin Mind Map”
- Dharmendra Rai, Mind Map & Brain Literacy trainer launched his book “The Thin Mind Map”.
- The book is designed to be an expert in mind mapping.
- Dharmendra Rai was the first person in the world to talk on TEDx on creativity & mind mapping.
Journalist Nandu R Kulkarni passed away at 70
- Famous journalist Nandu R Kulkarani, 70 years old, passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- He was the bureau chief of the Kolkata- based newspaper “The Statesman” in 1992 & also reported on a wide range of subjects including politics & business.
Fashion designer Wendell Rodricks passes away
- Popular fashion designer Wendell Rodricks has passed away at the age of 59.
- He was a Padma Shri awardee and a published writer with books such as “Moda Goa – History and Style”, his memoir “The Green Room” and “Poskem: Goans in the Shadows”.
Premier Badminton League 2020 in Hyderabad, Telangana
- Bengaluru Raptors become champions for 2nd time in a row. It is led by World Championships bronze medallist B. Sai Praneeth and World No. 2 Tai Tzu Ying has defeated the mixed doubles pair -Chan Peng Soon and Eom Hye Won of North Eastern Warriors to clinch the Premier Badminton League (PBL) title 2020 for the 2nd time in a row.
- The tournament was held at at the GMC Balayogi SATS Indoor Stadium in Hyderabad, Telangana.
Sophie Devine becomes 1st cricketer to hit 5 successive 50-plus scores in T20 International
- New Zealand captain Sophie Devine has become the first international cricketer to score five consecutive 50-plus scores in T20I cricket, surpassed Mithali Raj, Brendon McCullum and Chris Gayle who all had four straight fifty-plus scores to their name in the shortest format of International Cricket.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 13, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.