Daily Current Affairs: February 14 & 15, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (Febraury 14 & 15, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – Febraury 14 & 15, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
National Donor Day February 14, 2020
- National Donor Day is a time to focus on all types of organ donation, eye, tissue, blood, platelets and marrow by participating in blood/marrow drives or donor registration events.
World Pangolin Day
- World Pangolin Day is celebrated on the third Saturday in February. Pangolin Day is an opportunity for pangolin enthusiasts to join in raising awareness about these unique mammals.
15th Finance Commission Forms Panel for Separate Defence And Internal Security Fund
- 15th Finance Commission constituted a 5member group on Defence & Internal Security. The panel will examine whether a separate mechanism for funding of defence & internal security ought to be set up, & if so, how such a mechanism could be operationalized.
- The chairman of the commission N.K. Singh will head the group.
First Inter-City Electric Bus to operate between Mumbai and Pune
- First inter-city electric bus was launched between Mumbai and Pune twice every day. It was launched by the Union Transport Minister Nithin Gadkari.
Government renames two Famous Institute after Sushma Swaraj
- Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra, a cultural centre reflecting India’s connect with its diaspora, was renamed Sushma Swaraj Bhavan in honour of the late foreign minister. Foreign Service Institute has also been renamed the Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service.
Gandhinagar railway station in Gujarat to be the 1st in India to add 5-star hotel above the tracks
- Chairman of the Indian Railway Board, Sri Vinod Kumar Yadav, Indian Railways has planned to prepare 5- Star Hotel on the tracks in Gandhinagar railway station of Gujarat to give passengers the experience of world class facilities.
- This will be the first experiment in India.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
India’s President Shri Ram Nath Kovind awarded President’s Colour to Indian Naval Station Shivaji
- Shri Ramnath Kovind, President of India & Supreme Commander of IAF (Indian Armed Forces), awarded President’s colour (highest military honour) to INS (Indian Naval Station) Shivaji, Lonavala, Maharashtra.
“Apiary on Wheels” launched: A Unique Concept to help bee keeping, achieve National Honey Mission
- Ministry of MSME (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) launched “Apiary on Wheels”. It is a unique concept framed by KVIC (Khadi and Village Industries Commission). The main aim of “Apiary on Wheels” is to make migration easy.
Manipur CM launches ‘Anganphou Hunba’ programme at Arapti Mayai Leikai in Imphal East
- Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh government has prepared a 260-crore rupee project to provide irrigation facilities by pumping ground water and is awaiting the Centre’s approval.
- Launching ‘Anganphou Hunba’ (Early Paddy Crop) programme at Arapti Mayai Leikai in Imphal East the Chief Minister said, the government has planned to provide irrigation water by the Minor Irrigation Department to places having adequate arable land and large number of farmers.
- Capital: Imphal
- Chief Minister: N. Biren Singh
- Governor: Najma Heptulla
School Health Ambassador initiative launched under Ayushman Bharat scheme
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare introduced School Health Ambassador initiative.
- Under the initiative, two teachers in every school are to be made as Health and Wellness ambassador.
New Delhi to hosts National Organic Food Festival
- Government of India is to host National Organic Food Festival at the National Capital.
- The festival is first of its kind around 150 women entrepreneurs are to participate in the festival.
- Theme: “Unleashing India’s Organic Market Potential”
- CM: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
United Kingdom Minister Alok Sharma to lead UN climate summit
- Indian-origin Alok Sharma was named the new UK Minister in charge of the crunch UN climate talks to be hosted by Britain.
- He will take charge of the crucial summit ‘COP26′ as its former president was removed amid controversy.
India and Portugal sign 14 agreements in areas including defence, culture and yoga
- India and Portugal signed 14 agreements to boost cooperation in a range of areas including defence, investment, transport, ports, culture and industrial and intellectual property rights and yoga.
- The agreements were signed after extensive talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa in New Delhi.
Royal Bank of Scotland to rebrand bank as NatWest Group
- Royal Bank of Scotland Group ’s new boss, Alison Rose, is abandoning the bank’s three-century-old name and slashing its markets business as the state-controlled lender steps away from its tumultuous past.
INS Jamuna deployed on Hydrographic Survey off coast Sri Lanka
- The Indian Naval Ship (INS) Jamuna has been deployed in the shores of Sri Lanka to carry out a joint Hydrographic survey. The survey is to be conducted for 2-month time period.
Banking and Technology
SEBI rolls out system to detect misuse of client securities by brokers
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) introduced a system to monitor and detect misuse of client securities by stockbrokers. Under the new system, an online register will record brokers’ holdings of client securities.
ICAI to set up Sustainability Accounting Standards Board
ICAI will set up a Sustainability Accounting Standards Board to help companies in achieving sustainable development goals. With the proposed standards, there would be disclosure requirements for companies in terms sustainable development goals of the UN.
LIC Housing Finance adopts Google Cloud for newly launched App with HomY Mascot
LIC Housing Finance Ltd. has partnered with Google Cloud to host its next-generation digital mobile platform which is expected to better serve the needs of home loan applicants. It will reduce the lengthy paper-based loan application process.
Siddhartha Mohanty is MD & CEO of LIC Housing Finance.
Rajiv Bansal appointed Air India chairman and managing director
Bureaucrat Rajiv Bansal has been appointed as the chairman & managing director (CMD) of Air India. The post became vacant after incumbent Ashwani Lohani completed his tenure.
He is at present additional secretary in the ministry of petroleum and natural gas.
Rishi Sunak, Narayana Murthy’s son-in-law, is the new UK Finance Minister
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has appointed Indian-origin Rishi Sunak as his new finance minister. He replaced Sajid Javid who resigned from the post of Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Go Air appoints Vinay Dube, former Jet Airways chief, as new CEO
- Go Air has appointed Vinay Dube as its new chief executive officer. Dube who served as CEO of Jet Airways at the time of its closure joined Go Air in an advisory role.
Govt appoints Debasish Panda as financial services secretary
- In a major bureaucratic reshuffle, the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi appointed Debasish Panda as the secretary of finance ministry’s department of financial services.
ISRO space scientist G Narayanan becomes chairman of NSIL
Veteran ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) space scientist G Narayanan has been named as the Chairman of NSIL (New Space India Limited), a Public Sector Unit (PSU) of Government of India.
Awards & Recognitions
Bio Asia 2020 announces Genome Valley Excellence Award
- American immunologist and oncologist Dr. Carl H June and Novartis CEO Dr. Vasant Narsimhan will be presented the Genome Valley Excellence Award of BioAsia 2020. The function will be organized by the Telangana government annual global biotechnology & life sciences forum.
- Capital- Hyderabad.
- Chief Minister (CM)- Kalvakuntla Chandrashekar Rao.
- Governor- Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan.
India’s renowned Feminist scholar & activist Gita Sen wins Dan David Prize 2020
Gita Sen an Indian feminist scholar, activist has won the prestigious Dan David Prize 2020 under “present” category for her path-breaking work in the fields of population policies, reproductive and sexual health, women’s rights, poverty, labour markets and global governance.
Rajendra Indraman Singh and Dr Sohini Sastri won Indian Achievers Award 2020
Rajendra Indraman Singh Founder & Chairperson of Priyadarshini Group of Schools & Colleges has been awarded the Indian Achievers Award (IAA) in recognition of his “Outstanding Contribution to Indian Education”.
Kolkata-born renowned astrologer Dr Sohini Sastri awarded IAA as Best Astrologer of the year.
Former TERI Chief and environmentalist RK Pachauri dies at 79
Rajendra Kumar Pachauri, the former chief of The Energy and Resources Institute, passed away at the age of 79.
Nitin Desai, chairman of TERI(The Energy and Resources Institute)
Japanese Baseball Player Katsuya Nomura Passed away
Katsuya Nomura, a mainstay of the baseball world in post-war Japan who was one of the country’s greatest catchers before going on to a long second career as a manager.
Indian hockey captain Manpreet Singh named Player of the Year 2019 by IHF
The Indian men’s hockey team captain Manpreet Singh was named Player of the Year for 2019 by the International Hockey Federation. He became the first Indian to win the accolade since the awards were introduced in 1999.
Belgium’s Arthur van Dorren came second in the list
Amit Panghal ranked No 1 by IOC’s Boxing Task Force rankings for Olympic Qualifiers
World silver-medallist Amit Panghal has been ranked number one in the 52-kilogram category for Olympic Qualifiers, making him the first Indian pugilist in over a decade to achieve the global top position in the category.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 14 & 15, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.