Daily Current Affairs : February 19, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (Febraury 19, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Soil Health Card Day being observed on 19 February
- The Soil Health Card Day is observed on 19 February. The scheme aims at issuing soil health cards to farmers every 2 years to provide a basis to address nutritional deficiencies in soil and it ensures additional income to farmers by increase in yields.
- PM Modi launched the SHC Scheme on 19th February 2015 in Rajasthan.
Kala Kumbh: Exhibition to promote GI crafts and Heritage of India held in New Delhi
- Ministry of Textiles organized “Kala Kumbh”. It is an exhibition to promote GI (Geographical Indication) crafts and heritage of India.
- These exhibitions are sponsored by the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts.
Govt to facilitate doubling of milk processing capacity by 2025
- Govt will facilitate doubling of milk processing capacity from over 53 mn tonnes to 108 mn tonnes by 2025. In India, milk production is growing by 6.4% during the last 5 years & increased from over 146 mn tonnes in 2014-15 to over 187 mn tonne in 2018-19.
Delhi Police integrated with Uber launched “Himmat Plus app”
- Delhi Police along with Uber launched “Himmat Plus app”, at the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport, New Delhi, to ensure safety and security of the people travelling in cabs.
- CM: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
Indian pharma & biotech industry expected to grow to 100 billion dollars by 2025
- Union Minister for Commerce and Industries Piyush Goyal has said that the Indian pharma and biotech industry is expected to grow to 100 billion dollars by 2025 from the current size of about 40 billion dollars
Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses to be renamed as Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses
- Union Government has decided to rename the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) as Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses.
- The decision has been taken to honour the commitment and legacy of former Defence Minister and Padma Bhushan awardee Manohar Parrikar.
EAM to inaugurate Indian Pavilion at 70th Berlin International Film Festival in Germany
- External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar will inaugurate Indian Pavilion at 70th Berlin International Film Festival in Germany.
- India Pavilion will provide a platform to popularize Indian cinema in the overseas market and facilitate new business opportunities.
India’s sugar export may cross 5 million tonnes this year
- India’s sugar export may cross 5 million tonnes in the marketing year ending September 2019, on higher demand from overseas amid a global deficit of 8-9 mn tonne, ISMA said.
- For the current year, the govt has allowed export of 6 mn tonne of sugar under MAEQ (Maximum Admissible Export Quota).
UAE becomes 1st Arab Nation to issue license to operate a reactor at its Nuclear power plant
- United Arab Emirates representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency Mr. Hamad al-kaabi announced that the National Nuclear Regulator has issued an Operating license for a reactor at its Barakah nuclear power plant and becomes the 1st arab country in the world to operate a nuclear power plant.
United Arab Emirates (UAE):
- Capital- Abu Dhabi
- Currency- United Arab Emirates Dirham
- President- Khalifa bin Zayed Sulatn Al Nahyan
- Prime Minister & Vice President- Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Hindi is 3rd most spoken language in the world with 615 million speakers after English, Mandarin
- Hindi is the 3rd most spoken language of the world in 2019 with 615 million speakers. The 22nd edition of the world language database Ethnologue stated English at the top of the list with 1,132 million speakers. Chines Mandarin is at the second position with 1,117 million speakers.
- Bangla has been ranked as the 7th most spoken language of the world.
India becomes 2019’s 5th largest economy in World Population Review Report
- US-based think tank World Population Review, India has become the fifth largest in the world with a GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of $2.94 trillion overtaking the UK (United Kingdom) and France in 2019.
- The size of the UK economy is $2.83 trillion and that of France is $2.71 trillion. The list has been topped by the United states (US) with $21.44 trillion GDP.
India and Norway strengthen partnership on blue economy
- Union minister Harsh Vardhan & Norway’s Minister for Climate & Environment-Sveinung Rotevatn, opened the India-Norway Task Force on Blue Economy for Sustainable Development.
- They also commenced a new collaboration on Integrated Ocean Management & Research.
- Capital- Oslo.
- Currency- Norwegian krone.
Ashraf Ghani secures 2nd term as President of Afghanistan
Ashraf Ghani has won a second term as President of Afghanistan. Ashraf Ghani and Abdullah Abdullah head a fragile national unity government that was put together under the US pressure after both leaders claimed victory in Afghanistan’s 2014 elections.
- Capital- Kabul.
- Currency- Afghan Afghani.
Bangladesh to sign Free Trade Agreement with Nepal
- Bangladesh and Nepal have agreed to sign a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) to enhance the trade between the two countries.
- Bangladesh has also agreed to allow Nepal to use the Saidpur airport located in its northernmost district of Nilphamari close to Nepal.
- Bangladesh exports commodities worth $38 million to Nepal.
Barry O’Farrell appointed as new high commissioner to India
- Australia has appointed former NSW (New South Wales) premier Barry O’Farrell as the next high commissioner to India. Barry O’ Farrell will be the successor of Harinder Sidhu.
- He has served as New South Wales’ Special Envoy for India.
- Capital– Canberra
- Currency– Australian dollar
- Prime Minister– Scott Morrison
Awards and Recognition
Laureus world sports awards 2020 in Berlin, Germany: Sachin tendulkar collects sporting moment of the year 2000-2020
- Laureus World Sports Awards 2020 was held in Berlin, Germany.
- Indian former international cricketer Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar’s 2011 World Cup-winning moment was voted the Laureus Sporting Moment of 2000-2020.
- This moment of Sachin has been titled ‘Carried on the Shoulders of a Nation’. Tendulkar became the first Indian sportsperson to win Laureus.
Golfer Mickey Wright passed away at 85
- Hall of famer Mary Kathryn Mickey Wright, was an American LPGA (Ladies Professional Golf Association) Tour professional golfer, passed away at the age of 85.
FIFA U-17 Women’s Football World Cup to be hosted in 5 cities in November
- Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju launched an event in New Delhi to unveil the five host cities for the FIFA Under-17 Women’s Football World Cup which kicks off on 2nd of November.
- The matches of the world cup will be held in five cities including Ahmedabad, Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Kolkata and Navi Mumbai.
Sunil Kumar wins gold in 87-kg Greco Roman category in Asian Wrestling Championships
- Greco Roman wrestler Sunil Kumar opened India’s medal account in the Asian Wrestling Championships at New Delhi by winning a Gold. The seasoned grappler beat Azat Salidinov from Kyrgyzstan in the final of the 87 kg category
AIFF receives ‘Grassroots Charter Bronze Level’ membership of AFC
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) has received the “Grassroots Charter Bronze Level” membership of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).
- The Asian sport’s governing body has confirmed this in a letter to the AIFF General Secretary Kushal Das.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 19, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.