DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: May 1&2, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (May 1& 2, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Cyclone “Fani” hits Odisha and West Bengal
- Cyclone “Fani” is one of the biggest and fiercest cyclonic storm over the east coast in nearly two decades with a maximum wind speed of 240-250 kmph.
- Several villages nearby Puri in Odisha have submerged due to heavy rains. The word Fani (pronounced as Foni) means snake was suggested by Bangladesh.
Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) and IIT-Delhi inked MoU for Waste to Wealth Technologies
- Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) to the Government of India and Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi) have inked MoU for setting up a Centre of Excellence for Waste to Wealth Technologies in India as a commemoration of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on 2 October 2019.
- The project has been approved under the recently constituted Prime Minister’s Science Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC).
GRSE to construct eight ASWSWCs for Indian Navy
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE) Ltd. has signed a contract with defence ministry to build eight Anti-Submarine Warfare Shallow Water Crafts (ASWSWCs) for Indian Navy at the cost of 6311.30 crore.
- The first ship will be delivered to the Indian Navy in 42 months and subsequently, two ships will be required to deliver per year and the time of completion of the project will be 84 months.
Country’s biggest stucco figurine unearthed in Telangana’s Phanigiri
- Indian archaeologists recently unearthed a life-sized stucco sculpture from a Buddhist site at Phanigiri in Suryapet, Telangana. As per heritage department officials, it represents one of Bhodhisattva in Jathaka Chakra.
- This is the largest stucco sculpture found from India till date. The sculpture is about 73 metres in height and 35 cm in width.
The 14th edition of Sino-Indian border trade opens at Nathu La in Sikkim
- The 14th edition of the annual Sino-Indian border trade opens at Nathu La, which is the frontier post at Sino-Indian border in Sikkim.
- Every year, between 1st May to 30th November, the bilateral border trade between 2 nations is held for 4 days a week for 6 months.
Pak named its retaliatory action against India on February 27 as ‘Operation Swift Retort’
- The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) said its response to any “misadventure by the adversary” would be stronger than before as it decided to mark its retaliatory action on February 27 against the Indian air strikes on the Balakot militant camp as “Operation Swift Retort”.
- Tensions between India and Pakistan escalated after the February 14 attack by Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) suicide bomber in Pulwama that killed 40 CRPF men. The Indian Air Force (IAF) conducted air strikes in Balakot, deep inside Pakistan on February 26.
Indo-French navies will hold their joint exercise off the Goa-coast from 1st May to 10th May, 2019
- The first part of the Indo-French joint naval exercise, Varuna 19.1 will be conducted off the Goa coast from 1st to 10th May 19.
- The upcoming 17th edition includes participation of the French Navy’s aircraft carrier FNS Charles de Gaulle, two destroyers, FNS Forbin and FNS Provence, the frigate FNS Latouche-Treville, the tanker FNS Marne and a nuclear submarine. From the Indian side, the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, destroyer INS Mumbai, the Teg-class frigate, INS Tarkash, the Shishumar- class submarine, INS Shankul, and the Deepak- class fleet tanker, INS Deepak, will be participating in this exercise.
- The second part, Varuna 19.2, is scheduled to be held at the end of May in Djibouti.
Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a new “Sovereign Internet” law that will allow Russian authorities gain control over the Internet
- Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law a “sovereign internet” bill that will allow Russian authorities to isolate the country’s internet to expand the Government Control of the Internet. This move is being publicly denounced by all rights groups in Russia and will lead to censorship over large parts of the Internet.
- Among other things, the new measure requires Internet providers to install equipment to route Russian web traffic through servers in the country.
BANKING & BUSINESS
SBI’s new rules on saving accounts and short-term loans effective from May 1
- SBI will link interest rate on large savings account deposits to RBI’s repo rate from May 1. Interest rate on SBI’s short-term loans like cash credit and overdraft facilities will also be linked to the repo rate.
- In March, SBI had announced that it will link its interest rate on savings account with balance above ₹1 lakh and short-term loans like overdraft and cash credit facility to Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) repo rate, effective 1 May 2019.
NASSCOM, GE Healthcare became strategic partner for health-tech innovation
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has entered a strategic partnership with GE Healthcare. The objective is to bring digital healthcare solutions to the market. NASSCOM has announced this partnership through its Centre of Excellence-Internet of Things (CoE-IoT).
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
President named P.R. Ramachandra Menon as CJ of Chhattisgarh HC; Abhay Oka as CJ, Karnataka HC, and Shripathi Ravindra as CJ, Rajasthan HC
- President of India, Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Kerala High Court judge, Justice Parappillil Ramakrishnan Nair Ramachandra Menon (P.R. Ramachandra Menon) as Chief Justice Of Chhattisgarh High Court while exercising his powers conferred by clause (1) of Article 217 of the Constitution of India.
- President of India, Ram Nath Kovind has elevated Bombay High Court judge, Justice Abhay Shreeniwas Oka as the Chief Justice of the Karnataka High Court.
- President of India, Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Justice Shripathi Ravindra, a judge of the Delhi High Court was named as the Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court.
Archery Association of India chief BVP Rao steps down following Supreme Court ruling
- Archery Association of India (AAI) President B.V.P. Rao resigned after the Supreme Court’s ruling to set aside the constitution of the national body of the sport as amended by Delhi High Court-appointed administrator Y. Quraishi.
Emperor Akihito becomes the first Japanese monarch to abdicate in 200 years
- The 125th Emporer of Japan, 85-year-old, Emporer Emeritus Akihito abdicated after 30 years of ruling because of his declining health and age-related problems. His rule was known as
- While his son Emporer Naruhito, 59 -year-old succeeded the Chrysanthemum Throne on 1 May 2019, ushering in the Reiwa era. This is the first time Japan’s modern History that the country has both an Emporer and Emeritus.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Liverpool’s Virgil Van Dijk won PFA Players’ Player of the Year Award
- The 27-year old Liverpool defender and captain of the Netherland National team, Virgil Van Dijk won the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) Players’ Player of the Year Award for 2018-19 after a sterling Premier League campaign.
- Van Dijk had joined Liverpool from Southampton in January 2018 for a fee of £75million (Euro 75 million).
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Coffee Table book on Architecture & Landscape of Rashtrapati Bhawan presented to UAE Minister of Tolerance
- Ambassador Navdeep Suri presented UAE Minister of ToleranceSheikh Nahayan Mubarak Al Nahayan with the Coffee Table book on “Work of Beauty: Architecture and Landscape of Rashtrapati Bhawan”, which has been published by Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
Apurvi Chandela achieves World No. 1 ISSF Rankings in 10m Air Rifle
- According to the latest rankings released by International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), world cup gold medallist, Apurvi Chandela became the world number one in women’s 10m Air Rifle category with 1,926 rating points.
- The 26-year old Apurvi Chandela is among the five Indian shooters who have earned the Olympic quota for the Tokyo 2020.
IMPORTANTS EVENT OF THE DAY
International Labour Day is observed on May 1
- International Labour Day or Workers day is observed annually on 1 May, It is also known as May Day. The day was promoted by the international labour movement, socialists and communists.
- Theme of 2019: “Sustainable Pension for all: The Role of Social Partners”.
World Password Day celebrated on the 1st Thursday of May every year:
- The Registrar of National Day Calendar has designated the first Thursday of the month of May of each year as World Password Day.
- This day is celebrated to promote better password habits for digital protection for online shopping, dating, banking, social media, private work, and life communications.
Maharashtra Day celebrated every year on 1st May to mark the Maratha speaking region
- Maharashtra Day is celebrated every year on 1st May to mark the Maratha speaking region that was founded on 1st May 1960.
Gujarat celebrates its foundation day on 1st May
- This year is the 60th Foundation Day of Gujarat. Every year, 1st May is celebrated in different districts of Gujarat by launching various welfare schemes.
May 2 observed as a World Tuna Day 2019
- World Tuna Day was observed on May 2nd worldwide to highlight the importance of tuna fish and to promote more sustainable fishing practices which will help in achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- In December 2016, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) officially recognized May 2 as a World Tuna Day in its resolution 71/124. After the resolution has passed, the day was first observed on May 2, 2017.
Peter Mayhew, who played Chewbacca in Star Wars passed away at 74
- Actor Peter Mayhew, well known for portraying Chewbacca the Wookiee in the Star Wars films, has died at the age of 74 at his home in North Texas, U.S.
- He was born on 19 May 1944 in Barnes, London. He also wrote two books titled “Growing Up Giant” and “My Favorite Giant”.
US Judge and Civil Rights Icon Damon J. Keith died aged 96
- United States Sixth Circuit Judge, Damon Jerome Keith, a grandson of slaves passed away at the age of 96 in Detroit, the city where the prominent lawyer was appointed in 1967 to the US District Court. He served on the Sixth Circuit for over 40 years.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL