Daily Current Affairs : February 2, 3 & 4, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (Febraury 2, 3 & 4, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – Febraury 2, 3 & 4, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
World Cancer Day
- World Cancer Day is observed on the 4th of February every year to create awareness about cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.
- Theme of the year: “I can we can”.
APEDA signs MoU to set up a Liason Office in Guwahati, Assam
- APEDA (Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority) signed MoU with CSIR-CFTRI (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-Central Food Technological Research Institute).
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: Sarbananda Sonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
Minister of North East Development chairs Ujh (National) Multipurpose Project
Minister of North Eastern Development Dr Jitendra Singh chaired the Ujh Multipurpose (National) Project in Jammu and Kashmir.
The meeting was attended by the Ministry of Jal Shakti, Ministry of Power and other officers from state government of Punjab.
Jammu and Kashmir
- Capital: Srinagar (summer), Jammu (winter)
- Governor: Girish Chandra Murmu
Over 73 lakh youth trained under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana
- Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Minister of State RK Singh said that over 73 lakh candidates were trained under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana.
- Skill training was based on the National Skill Qualification Framework and industry led standards.
Ministry of Labour & Employment launched Portal Santusht
‘Santusht’-Implementation Monitoring Cell (IMC) has been constituted in the Office of Minister of State (I/C) for Labour & Employment in January 2020.
Its aim is to promote effective delivery of public services & implementation of policies of the ministry.
Maldives readmitted and becomes 54th member of Commonwealth
- Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, President of the Maldives announced that Maldives has once again become a member of the Commonwealth family after the meeting between Abdullah Shahid, Foreign Minister of Maldives & Patricia Scotland, Secretary General of the Commonwealth.
- Capital: Male
- Currency: Maldivian Rufiyaa
- President: Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
NTPC raises Samurai loan worth $750 million for new projects
- NTPC, India’s largest power generator has raised syndicated Japanese Yen loan (JPY) worth $750 million (around Rs5,367 crore). The raised fund will be used to reduce air pollution in power projects across the country.
- It is Asia’s largest Japanese yen loan.
Pramod Agrawal became the Chairman of Coal India Limited
- Pramod Agrawal became the new Chairman & Managing Director (MD) of Coal India Limited (CIL).
- He was the successor of Anil Kumar Jha who retired on 31st January 2020.
RBI governor Shaktikanta Das is Asia Pacific central banker of the year
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Shaktikanta Das has been named the Central Banker of the Year, Asia-Pacific 2020, by the Banker magazine, a unit of Financial Times (FT).
- RBI Headquarters: Mumbai
Amitabh Bhatt is new CEO of HAL
Amitabh Bhatt has taken over as Chief Executive Officer of Bengaluru-headquartered defence PSU, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited’s Bangalore Complex.
Gopal Baglay appointed as Next High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka
Ministry of External Affairs has announced Experienced Diplomat Shri Gopal Baglay, a 1992 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, has been appointed as the Next High Commissioner of India to The Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka.
Baglay will replace Taranjit Sandhu, who has been appointed as Indian Ambassador to U.S.
Padma Shri awardee Deepa Malik elected as President of Paralympic Committee of India
- Deepa Malik elected Paralympic Committee India’s lone woman Paralympic medalist Deepa Malik, 49 years old, Sonipat from Haryana, was elected as President of the Paralympic Committee of India.
Science and Technology
Researchers from IIT Madras develops AI technology to convert brain signals of speech-impaired humans into English language
- A team of researchers lead by Vishal Nandigana, Assistant Professor, Fluid Systems Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras, is working on this area of research, the Institute said in a press statement.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Amulya Mica chosen as Most Promising Brand 2019 at 7th MSME Excellence Award in New Delhi
- Amulya Mica (Purbanchal Laminates Pvt Ltd), spear-headed by its Managing Director Rakesh Agarwal, was chosen as the Most Promising Brand of the Year Award 2019, Gold Category during the 7th edition of the MSME Excellence Award.
- The award & summit was organised by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) at Le Maiden in New Delhi.
Sam Mendes’ war drama ‘1917’ dominates Baftas 2020
- Sam Mendes’ ‘1917’ ruled the 73rd edition of BAFTAS (British Academy of Film & Television Arts) with 7 wins, including best film, best British film & best director. Joaquin Phoenix & Renee Zellweger won the best actor & actress awards respectively.
- Micheal Ward was named the Bafta rising star.
Famous Punjabi writer Jaswant Singh passed away at 101
- Jaswant-Singh-KanwalOn February 01,2020, The Eminent Punjabi Writer, Novelist and Sahitya Academy Awardee Jaswant Singh Kanwal (101), passed away in his native village Dhudike, Moga district in Punjab, due to age related illness issues.’
Author Mary Higgins Clark, known as ‘Queen of Suspense’, passed away at 92
- Author Mary Higgins Clark American author Mary Theresa Eleanor Higgins Clark also known as “Queen of Suspense” passed away at the age of 92 in Naples, Florida, US (United States).
Nominees for inaugural BBC Sportswoman of the year award
- Wrestler Vinesh Phogat, Shuttler P.V. Sindhu and Boxer M.C. Mary Kom will compete for the inaugural BBC Indian sportswoman of the year award after being nominated for the honour.
- Sprinter Dutee Chand and para-badminton player Manasi Joshi are the other nominees for the award, the winner of which will be announced on the 8th of next month.
Indian boxer’s bag six gold at Golden Girl Championship in Sweden
- India’s junior youth dominated the ring at the Golden Girl Championship in Boras, Sweden, claiming 14 medals, including six golds.
- While the junior women’s team clinched five golds, three silvers and one bronze medal, the youth team secured a single gold and four bronze medals.
- Prachi Dhankar won ‘Best Boxer’ award in the junior category.
ICC T20 Rankings: KL Rahul moves to the number 2 position
- K.L Rahul moved up to No.2 in the rankings released by International Cricket Council today for T20 International batsmen after hitting 224 runs from five matches against New Zealand.
- Pakistan’s Babar Azam retained his top spot with 879 points and India’s Vice-Captain Rohit Sharma entered the top-10. Virat Kohli remained in ninth position.
World Wetlands Day
- World Wetlands Day occurs annually on February 2, marking the date of the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands on February 2, 1971.
- The theme for 2020 WWD is “Wetlands and Biodiversity”.
Important keys in Union Budget 2020-21
- Government allocated Rs 4,400 Cr to encourage states to implement plans for cleaner air.
- India has raised import tax on crude palm oil to 44% from existing 37.5%.
Government allocated Rs 99,300-crore blueprint to take education to next level
- Presenting the Budget for 2020-21, FM said Rs 99,300 Cr has been allocated for the education sector and Rs 3,000 Cr for skill development for the next fiscal.
Indian Railways’ operating ratio for FY20 at 98.41%
- In FY 2019-20, Railways spent about Rs 98.41 to earn every Rs 100, according to the Union Budget 2020.
Budget 2020 announces the largest ever science mission
- The government in its budget 2020 has announced a National Mission on Quantum Technologies & Applications (NM-QTA) with a total budget outlay of Rs 8000 Crore for a period of five years to be implemented by the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
Sixteen Action Points for Agriculture, Irrigation & Rural Development
- A total of Rs. 2.83 lakh crore has been allocated in the union Budget 2020 for the Sixteen Action Points for Agriculture, Irrigation and Rural Development. Rs. 1.23 lakh crore has been allocated for the Rural development and Panchayati Raj projects.
New scheme NIRVIK to be launched to achieve higher export credit disbursement
- Budget proposed a new scheme NIRVIK to achieve higher export credit disbursement for higher insurance coverage, reduction in premium for small exporters & simplified procedure for claim settlements.
- Textiles Mission has an estimated outlay of Rs 1480 Cr.
Budget 2020 proposed Rs.6000 Crore for Bharatnet programme in 2020-21
- Policy to enable private sector to build Data Centre parks in the country to be brought out soon. Fibre to the Home connections through Bharatnet to link 100,000-gram panchayats this year is in plan. 6000 Cr has been proposed for the programme in 2020-21.
- Allocation of Rs. 2500 crore for 2020-21 for tourism promotion.
Union Govt aims to achieve objective of Housing for All by 2022 under PMAY-G
- A total of over 1 Crore 50 lakh rural houses have been completed in the last 5 years. Beneficiaries will get 1 Crore 95 lakh houses in the 2nd phase of the scheme.
- Govt has set a target of 60 lakh houses for the current FY.
Andhra Pradesh has launched a doorstep pension delivery
- Govt of Andhra Pradesh (AP) has launched a doorstep pension delivery scheme named YSR Pension Kanuka. Under the scheme various welfare pensions will be delivered to the pensioners.
- The old age pensioners age has also been reduced from 65 to 60 years.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
Coastal Security Exercise “Matla Abhiyan” conducted by Indian Navy
- The Indian Navy recently launched a unique coastal security exercise Malta Abhiyan in the Sunderbans region Kolkata.
- The exercise was conducted to create awareness about the coastal security to the local community.
- Indian Headquarters: New Delhi
Bhubaneswar-Varanasi Direct Daily Flight operations commencement marks the 250th route under RCS-UDAN
- Alliance Air, a wholly owned subsidiary of Air India begun the direct daily flight operations from Bhubaneswar to Varanasi under the RCS-UDAN marking it as the 250th route under UDAN.
- Varanasi is the religious & tourist hub of India & BHU is present there.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Madhya Pradesh bags first position for implementation of PMMVY
- Madhya Pradesh has bagged the 1st position for the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana. Women & Child Development Minister Smriti Irani will present the award. Indore district has bagged the 1st place for better performance of the scheme.
- Incentive of 5000 Rs is given to pregnant women under the PMMVY.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Kamal Nath
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
India International leather fair – ITPO (India Trade Promotion Organisation)
- The 35th edition of India International Leather Fair (IILF) Chennai, will be held at Chennai Trade Centre, Nandambakkam, Chennai.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
India, Maldives sign five MoUs for establishing Addu Tourism zone
- India & Maldives signed 5 MoUs for establishing the Addu Tourism zone in 5 islands of Addu atoll at a cost of USD 2.49 mn.
- MOUs were signed between the High Commissioner of India Sunjay Sudhir, Foreign Affairs Minister Abdulla Shahid & Addu City Council.
- Capital: Male
- Currency: Maldivian Rufiyaa
- President: Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
2019 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report
- Global Go To Think Tank Index Report (GGTTI), by the Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) of the Lauder Institute at the University of Pennsylvania, United States (US) was released.
- As per the report India’s Observer Research Foundation (ORF) was ranked at 27th place among 176 global think tanks. The report was topped by Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (CEIP) of US.
Mohammed Allawi appointed the Prime Minister of Iraq
- Mohammed Allawi is appointed the PM of Iraq by the President Barham Salih.
- Despite ex-PM Adel Abdul Mahdi formally resigned, he had agreed to continue in a caretaker capacity until a successor was chosen.
- Capital: Baghdad
- Currency: Iraqi dinar
- Prime Minister: Adil Abdul-Mahdi
- President: Barham Salih
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina inaugurates month long Ekushey Book Fair
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina of Bangladesh inaugurated the month long Ekushey Book fair in Dhaka. Ekushey fair is the biggest and longest book fair of Bangladesh.
- It is organised every year in February commemorating the martyrs of the language movement.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
- President: Abdul Hamid
Science and Technology
World’s First Transcatheter Mitral Valve Approved in Europe
- Abbott Tendyne Transcatheter Mitral Valve Implantation (TMVI) system received European CE mark.
- It is the 1st Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement (TMVR) technology to gain commercial clearance in the world.
- This treats significant mitral regurgitation.
World’s largest solar telescope reveals Sun’s turbulent surface
- Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope (DKIST), the world’s largest solar telescope has captured first highest-resolution image of the Sun’s turbulent surface at Hawaiian island of Maui and the telescope has a 13-foot mirror.
Banking & Finance
Bank of Baroda signed pact with CARE Ratings to assess the credit quality of SMEs
- Existing credit quality and prospective SME customers of the bank will be assessed by the rating agency by processing and analyzing structured, unstructured and new data streams.
NABARD approved loan worth Rs 140 crore at low interest to Punjab Agri Development Bank
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has given its approval for loan worth Rs 140 crore at low interest rate to Punjab State Agricultural Development Bank (PSADB).
Canara Bank MD & CEO R.A. Sankara Narayanan retires
Canara Bank announced that its Managing Director (M.D) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Sankara Narayanan (60) has retired, because Narayanan attains the age of “superannuation” (which means completing the age for retirement).
Eminent Punjabi novelist Dalip Kaur Tiwana passed away at 84
- Padma Shri awardee and renowned Punjabi novelist, Dalip Kaur Tiwana passed away at the age of 84 due to old age ailments.
- She was well known for novels ‘Teeli da Nishaan’ and ‘Sooraj te Samandar’. She was also a former president of the Punjabi Sahit Akademi.
Australian Open: American Sofia Kenin wins her first Grand Slam title
- American Sofia Kenin won her 1st Grand Slam title with victory over Spain’s Garbine Muguruza at the Australian Open.
- Kenin is the youngest Australian Open champion since Russian Maria Sharapova in 2008.
BCCI names 3member Cricket Advisory Committee
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced the appointment of its three-member Cricket Advisory Committee.
- The committee comprises Madan Lal, Rudra Pratap Singh and Sulakshana Naik. The term of appointment will be for one year.
- Sourav Ganguly is BCCI’s 39th President.
Adarsh, Shreya win double titles at National Shooting trials
- Haryana’s Adarsh Singh and Madhya Pradesh’s Shreya Agrawal won double titles at the ongoing national trials for rifle and pistol disciplines in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Tokyo Olympics quota winner Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar also won the men’s 50 metres rifle 3 positions T2 trial to continue his good form in the competition.
Novak Djokovic wins his record 8th Men’s singles title
- Serbia’s Novak Djokovic won his record 8th Men’s singles title in Australian Open at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne. He beat first-time Australian Open finalist Dominic Thiem of Austria.
- The men’s doubles title was clinched by Joe Salisbury of UK and American Rajeev Ram who beat Australia’s Luke Saville and Max Purcell.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 2, 3 & 4, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.