DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : December 29 , 30 & 31, 2019
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (December 29, 30 & 31, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – December 29, 30 & 31, 2019 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
PAN-Aadhaar linking deadline extended till March 2020
- The last date for the mandatory linking of the Permanent Account Number (PAN) with Aadhaar has been extended till March 2020.
- The earlier deadline was December 31.
- This is the eighth time that the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has extended the deadline for individuals to link their PAN with Aadhaar. Supreme Court, in September last year, had declared the Centre’s flagship Aadhaar scheme as constitutionally valid and held that the biometric ID would remain mandatory for the filing of I-T returns and allotment of the PAN.
Amitabh Bachchan honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- Veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan was presented the Dadasaheb Phalke award by President Ram Nath Kovind at Rashtrapati Bhawan .
- Mr Bachhan expressed gratitude towards government, Information and Broadcasting Ministry and all the jury members after being conferred with the Award.
Bengaluru’s University of Agricultural Sciences to host Indian Science Congress
- The University of Agricultural Sciences in Bengaluru is gearing up to host the 107th Indian Science Congress from 3rd to 7th of January.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the conference to be attended by over 15,000 delegates including Nobel laureates, scientists, academicians, students, farmers among others.
- General President of the Indian Science Congress Association Prof. K S Rangappa informed in Bengaluru today that 1,500 scientific papers and 5700 posters will be laid in 14 scientific disciplines.
Ahmedabad-Mumbai Tejas train to be flagged off on Jan 17
- After the successful run of Lucknow-Delhi Tejas Express, the second premium Tejas train is ready to run between Ahmedabad and Mumbai.
- Railway Ministry has said that the train will be flagged off from Ahmedabad on 17th January next year.
Rs 1,12,000 crore paid as IGST refunds to exporters
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs, CBIC has said that over 1,12,000 crore rupees have been paid as Integrated Goods and Services Tax-IGST refunds to exporters.
- In a statement, CBIC said, over 83,000 exporters have been benefited by these refunds. It said, this shows the government’s efforts to fast track refunds under GST especially to exporters. As of now, refunds of only 3,604 crores are pending with Customs.
- CBIC said that it is using data analytics to identify risky exporter entities that take input tax credit fraudulently and monetize it by paying IGST and taking refund. Such exporters are being subject to KYC and verification process before the grant of refund.
General Bipin Rawat appointed first Chief of Defence Staff
- Army Chief General Bipin Rawat has been named the country’s first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS). CDS will function as a single-point advisor to the government on matters related to the military and will focus on better synergy between the Army, Air Force and the Navy.
- General Rawat will retire as Army Chief. The defence ministry had recently amended the army, air force and navy rules by bringing in a new clause that allows the Chief of Defence Staff to serve upto a maximum age of 65 years.
Lt Gen Manoj Mukund Naravane to take over as new Army Chief
- Vice Chief of the Army Staff, Lt Gen Manoj Mukund Naravane will take over as new Army Chief. He will succeed Gen Bipin Rawat, who retires after a three-year stint as Army chief.
- Before taking charge as vice-chief of the Army staff in September, Lt Gen Naravane was heading the Eastern Command of the Army which takes care of India’s nearly 4,000-km border with China.
- In his 37 years of service, Lt Gen Naravane has served in numerous command and staff appointments in peace, field and highly active counter-insurgency environments in Jammu and Kashmir and the Northeast.
- He has also commanded a Rashtriya Rifles Battalion in Jammu and Kashmir and an infantry brigade on the eastern front.
- Lt Gen Naravane was also part of the Indian Peace Keeping Force in Sri Lanka and had served as India’s defence attache at the Indian Embassy in Myanmar for three years.
11th CEBR’s report: India to surpass Germany as the 4th-largest economy in 2026
- On December 26, 2019 United Kingdom (UK)-based Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) released its 11th annual report titled ‘World Economic League Table 2020′ (WELT 2020). According to the report, India is expected to overtake Germany as the fourth-largest economy in the world by 2026. It also estimated that India will overtake Japan as the third-largest economy by 2034.
- 5 trillion-dollar economy: The Indian govt. has set a target to become a 5 trillion-dollar economy by 2024-25. However, the report has estimated that, this target will be achieved in 2026, two years later than the fixed target year.
- India in 2019: India overtook both France and the United Kingdom to become the 5th largest economy in 2019.
- Next 15 years: The report estimated that India, japan and Germany will battle for the 3rd position in the next 15 years.
- USA and China: United States of America (USA) will remain as the world’s largest economy throughout 2020s and may be overtaken by China in 2033.
Year 2019 was hottest ever registered in Russia
- 2019 was the hottest ever registered in Russia, as climate change pushes global temperatures to record highs. Moscow’s average temperature for 2019 had hit 7.6 to 7.7 degrees Celsius, beating the previous record by 0.3 degrees.
- Moscow has seen its warmest December in a century this year
Sri Lankan govt says Batticaloa airport to be developed as an international airport
- Sri Lankan government has said that it will develop Batticaloa airport in eastern province as an international airport with Indian assistance.
- Minister of Tourism and aviation Prasanna Ranatunga said, the Indian government has extended its fullest cooperation to develop the domestic airport and it has been discussed with the Indian High Commissioner in Sri Lanka Taranjit Singh Sandhu.
UAE extends 300 million US dollars of development aid to Jordan
- Abu Dhabi Fund for Development (ADFD) announced that it is providing 300 million US dollars as development aid to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
- In a statement the UAE government said that “the UAE leadership’s decision reaffirms the commitment to standing alongside the brotherly leadership and people of Jordan, reflecting the nation’s foreign policy that carries the legacy of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan and continues under the leadership of President Sheikh Khalifa.”
Cyclone Sarai: 2,000 people took refuge in emergency shelters in Fiji
- Fiji, nearly 2,000 people took refuge in emergency shelters after being swept away in floodwaters as Tropical Cyclone Sarai pounded the country.
- With wind gusts strengthening to 150 kilometres per hour during the day, Sarai destroyed houses and crops, brought down trees, cut power and caused considerable flooding in low-lying areas.
- Thousands of holidaymakers were stranded with flights to and from Fiji either cancelled or rescheduled
UNGA approves resolution on initiating drafting of new treaty to combat cyber-crime
- The UN General Assembly approved a resolution yesterday, that will start the process of drafting a new treaty to combat cyber-crime.
- The Russian-drafted resolution establishes an expert committee representing all world regions.
- It will elaborate a comprehensive international convention on countering the use of information and communications technologies for criminal purposes.
- The Assembly also approved a resolution strongly condemning human rights abuses against Myanmar’s Rohingya Muslims and other minorities.
- It calls on Myanmar government to take urgent measures to combat incitement of hatred against minorities in Rakhine, Kachin and Shan states.
Science and Technology
NASA astronaut Christina koch sets new record for longest single space mission by a woman
- Christina Hammock Koch (40), an American engineer and the United States (US) Space agency-NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) astronaut has created history by becoming the longest-lived woman in space.
- She overtook the record of NASA’s astronaut Peggy Whitson for 288 days in the International Space Station (ISS).
China successfully launches largest carrier rocket
- China has successfully launched the largest carrier rocket of the country, Long March-5, from Wenchang Space Launch Center in south China’s Hainan Province.
- The Chinese space authorities declared the mission a “complete success” just over half an hour after the lift-off when the Shijian-20 satellite it carried entered its designated orbit. It is the country’s third attempt to launch the rocket.
Losar Festival (Ladakhi New Year) celebrated in UT of Ladakh
- The people of Union Territory (UT) of the Ladakh region celebrated Losar festival, the Ladakhi new year.
- The Ladakh Buddhist Association (LBA) and Leh Hill Council, Leh organised the celebrations in which Ladakh Lieutenant Governor Radha Krishna Mathur participated.
- The year 2020 will mark the 1st Losar festival celebrated in the Ladakh Region as a UT.
11-day long ‘Dhanu Jatra’ begins at Bargarh in western Odisha
- The famous 11-day long ‘Dhanu Jatra’, considered as the largest open-air theatre of the world begins at Bargarh in western Odisha today. The Jatra is based on the mythological story of Lord Krishna and his demon uncle King Kansa. It is about the episode of Krishna and Balaram’s visit to Mathura to witness the Dhanu ceremony organized by their (maternal) uncle King Kansa.
- Dhanu Jatra is the annual drama-based open-air theatrical performance celebrated in and around Bargarh city is considered to be the world’s largest open-air theatrical festival that finds a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records.
Ajit Pawar sworn in as deputy CM
- The first cabinet expansion of Uddhav Thackeray-led Mahavikas Aghadi Government in Maharashtra took place.
- Nationalist Congress Party’s Ajit Pawar took oath as Deputy Chief Minister on this occasion.
- Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari administered the oath of office and secrecy to the newly inducted 36 Ministers in presence of Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray and NCP Chief Sharad Pawar at the ceremony held in the State Legislature premises.
Function to be organized to commemorate 76th Anniversary of First Flag Hoisting at Port Blair
- A function will be organized to commemorate the 76th Anniversary of First Flag Hoisting by Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose at Port Blair tomorrow. Lt. Governor Admiral (Retd.) D.K. Joshi, Minister of State for Health & Family Welfare Ashwini Kumar Choubey will hoist the National Flag at Flag Point, Port Blair.
- Subhash Mela Committee Swarajdweep will organise bike rally in the morning. Cultural programme will also be organised. The Forum for Awareness of National Security led by its margdarshak Indresh Kumar is already in Port Blair to commemorate the 76th Anniversary of First Flag Hoisting.
North Eastern Council with J&K admin to organise Bamboo workshop-cum-exhibition in Jammu
- Minister for North Eastern Region Dr Jitender Singh has said that the North Eastern Council in collaboration with J&K UT administration will organise a workshop-cum-exhibition on ‘Bamboo – A wonder grass: Opportunity for Sustainable Development in Jobs’ in Jammu in January.
- The exhibition will aim to replicate the successful model being adopted in the North East to market its products.
- The workshop-cum-exhibition is being organised through Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre, Assam and Department of Social Forestry of J&K UT administration.
Vishwesha Theertha Swami of Pejawar mutt passes away
- Vishwesha Theertha Swami of Pejawar mutt passed away in the coastal town of Udupi in Karnataka. The 88 years old seer was shifted from KMC hospital to the mutt after doctors found his condition to be critical and deteriorating.
- Swamiji is the 32nd in the lineage of Pejawar Mutt following Vishvamanya Tirtha.
6500 athletes from 37 teams to take part in 3rd Khelo India youth games
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has launched the torch relay of the Third Khelo India Youth Games.
- The games will be held in Guwahati from 10th to 22nd of January.
- Khelo India 6500 athletes from 37 teams will take part in the 3rd Khelo India youth games in Guwahati beginning from 10th of January.Chief Executive Officer of the event Avinash Joshi said that lawn ball and cycling will be included in the Khelo India for the first time.
Boxer Vikas Krishan makes it to India squad for Olympic Qualifiers
- In Boxing, Vikas Krishan claimed a slot in the Indian men’s boxing squad in the 69kilogram category for next year’s Olympic qualifiers after winning his final trial bout along with two others in Bengaluru.
- The former world championships and Asian Games medal-winner, who competed in the middleweight 75kilogram category
IOA withdraws boycott call for 2022 Commonwealth Games
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has withdrawn its threat to boycott the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham over Shooting’s exclusion.
- It also announced that the country will bid to host either the 2026 or the 2030 edition.
- During its Annual General Meeting in New Delhi, the IOA, on the advice of Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), also decided to submit a formal proposal to host a Commonwealth Shooting Championships before the main Games, an idea mooted by both the national and international shooting bodies to make up for the sport’s exclusion from 2022 CWG. CGF President Dame Louise Martin welcomed India confirming participation at the Birmingham Games.
Koneru Humpy becomes Women’s World Rapid Chess Champion
- Indian grandmaster Koneru Humpy has become the 2019 Women’s World Rapid Champion.
- She defeated China’s Lei Tingjie in a dramatic final in Moscow, Russia.
- After losing the opening game, Humpy made an impressive comeback and collected nine points each in 12 rounds to be tied with Tingjie.
- The duo then played a fierce game to break the deadlock.
- Tingjie finished with a silver, while Turkey’s Ekaterina Atalik won bronze.
- This is a significant triumph for Humpy who is India’s best-ever women’s chess player.
- She is more at ease in the classical format and was clearly trying to take her skills in the rapid format to a new level. Norway’s Magnus Carlsen claimed the men’s title.
Udayan Mane sets new PGTI record; bags TATA Steel Tour Championship title
- Udayan Mane produced a flawless seven-under 65 on the final day to claim a thrilling one-shot win at the season-ending TATA Steel Tour Championship in Jamshedpur.
- Mane’s 67-66-64-65 determined final round effort saw him establish a new PGTI record for the lowest tournament total as he closed the week with a jaw-dropping 26-under-262 at the Golmuri Golf Course. It was Mane’s eighth professional title and his second win on the PGTI this season.
- SSP Chawrasia had settled for second place with another outstanding total score of 25-under-263. Aman Raj (71) the third-round leader, ended the week in tied third place at 23-under-265 along with Delhi’s Chiragh Kumar (67).
Five Indian women boxers book their place for Olympic Qualifiers
- Five Indian women boxers booked their place for the Olympic Qualifiers at the Indira Gandhi Stadium in New Delhi.
- Mary Kom defeated Nikhat Zareen 9-1 in the final bout of the 51kg category while in 57kg Sakshi Chaudhary outclassed her opponent Sonia Lather 9-1.
- In the 60kg event, Simranjit Kaur won her bout against Sarita Devi in split decision 8-2. In the 69kg and 75kg category, Lovlina Borgohain and Pooja Rani won their respective matches by unanimous decision and registered their spot in the Indian squad.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of December 29, 30 & 31, 2019 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.