DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 28, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (February 28, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Science Day being celebrated on February 28:
- National Science Day is being celebrated today. It is celebrated every year to commemorate the discovery of the Raman Effect.
- On this day, Sir CV Raman had announced the discovery of the Raman Effect for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1930.
- The theme of the year 2020 is “Women in Science.”
India’s First Protein Day was observed on February 27, 2020:
- Right to Protein, a national-level public health initiative, has launched India’s 1st Protein Day on February 27, 2020 to raise awareness about the health benefits of protein.
- Theme of the Protein Day 2020: “Protein Mein Kya Hai”
India & Myanmar signed 10 agreements in various fields:
- India & Myanmar agreed to strengthen the bilateral relations by signing 10 agreements in various fields including infrastructure, energy, communication & health.
- The agreements were exchanged following talks between PM Modi & Myanmar President U Win Myint.
- Capital- Naypyidaw
- Currency- Burmese Kyat.
VAJRA: The Offshore Patrol Vessel-6 launched at Chennai:
- The 6th Coast Guard Offshore Patrol Vessel-6 “VAJRA” was launched in Chennai.
- The ship would be utilized for day & night surveillance along with anti-terrorist anti-smuggling operations in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) as well as Coastal Security.
- The OPV have two Navigation Radars with ultra-modern technology.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
Delhi hosts 91st Annual General Meeting of the ICAR Society:
- 91st Annual General Meeting of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) Society was held in Delhi.
- The Annual General Meeting was chaired by the Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar.
- Narendra Singh Tomar said budgetary provision has been made to provide each FPO a sum of Rs. 15 lakhs for all farming related activities ranging from sowing, harvesting to distribution & marketing.
8-day Vasantotsav begins in Gandhinagar:
- Eight-day cultural fair called Vasantotsav was inaugurated at Sanskruti Kunj in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- The annual festival is organised by the department of Youth & cultural Affairs of Government to celebrate the richly diverse heritage of the country.
- This year’s theme of the festival is Ek Bhaart Shreshth Bharat.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Union telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad inaugurates BSNL FTTH in Dehradun
- Union Minister of Law and Justice, Communications, Electronics and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad in Dehradun. inaugurated BSNL FTTH (Fiber To the Home) and wifi service.
- Capital: Dehradun
- Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
- National Park (NP): Jim Corbett NP, Gangotri NP, Nanda Devi NP, Rajaji NP.
Govt approves 32 projects in food processing sector under PMKSY
- Government has sanctioned 32 projects in the food processing sector under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana.
- The projects are spread across around 17 states leveraging an investment worth 406 Crore.
- SAMPADA scheme approved on 2017 was later named as PMKSY.
- Union Food Processing Minister-Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
Arjun Munda launches ‘Capacity Building Programme for ST Representatives’ & ‘1000 Springs Initiatives’
- Minister Arjun Munda launched ‘Programme for capacity building of ST representatives in local self-governments’, ‘1000 Spring Initiatives’ & an online portal on GIS-based Spring Atlas with hydrological & chemical properties of the Springs in Bhubaneswar.
- Arjun Munda is the Union Tribal Affairs Minister.
Ordnance factory boards becomes the 1st govt entity to adopt centralised invoicing platform:
- Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) an industrial organisation, functioning under the Department of Defence Production of Ministry of Defence, Government of India (GoI), has become the 1st government entity to adopt centralised invoicing platform.
- TreDS (Trade Receivables electronic Discount System),under which a total of 41 OFBs adopted this platform, which would help smaller MSME (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) vendors access working capital easily.
ONGC, HPCL buy out bankers in Petronet MHB for Rs 371 crore
- State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) and its subsidiary Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) have bought out lenders in Petronet MHB Ltd, the firm that owns a petroleum product pipeline in Mangalore, for about Rs 371 crore.
- A consortium of eight public sector banks held 34.56 per cent stake in Petronet MHB Ltd, where ONGC and HPCL held 32.72 per cent apiece.
“Microsoft Future Decoded – CEO Summit” held in Mumbai
- Technology- Major Microsoft hosted its “Microsoft Future Decoded – CEO Summit” in Mumbai.
- The summit was attended by leaders of different fields. The gathering was addressed by Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, during his three-day visit to India. Nadella also attended the ‘Microsoft Future Decoded – Tech Summit’ held at Bengaluru.
NTPC signs MoU with CPCB to set up air quality monitoring stations
- NTPC Ltd has signed an agreement with the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). According to an agreement, NTPC Ltd will provide financial support of Rs 80 Crore for installation and commissioning of Continuous Ambient Air Quality Monitoring Stations (CAAQMS).
- A total of 25 Air Quality Monitoring Stations will be installed across six states and three Union Territories.
- The states include Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Tamil Nadu.
Apple to open 1st India flagship store in 2021: Tim Cook
- Apple is set to open its first branded retail store in the country in 2021, CEO Tim Cook has told shareholders.
- Speaking to investors at the annual shareholder meeting at Apple Park in Cupertino, California, Cook confirmed the company will open its first offline retail outlet in the world’s second biggest smartphone market next year.
Sri Lanka withdraws from UNHRC Resolution on war crimes
- Sri Lankan Government formally notified the United Nations that it will withdraw from the UNHRC (United Nations Human Rights Council) resolution.
- This announcement was made by Dinesh Gunawardena, Sri Lanka”s foreign minister during 43rd session of the UNHRC in Geneva, Switzerland.
United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC):
- Formation– 15 March 2006
- Headquarters– Geneva, Switzerland
- President– Coly Seck
Finane Minister Nirmala Sitaraman launches EASE 3.0 to enhance Ease of Banking
- FM Nirmala Sitaraman launched Enhanced Access and Service Excellence (EASE 3.0) along with the annual report of EASE 2.0 at a function organized by Indian Banks’ Association.
- Aim of EASE 3.0 is to make public sector banking technology enabled & smart.
- EASE-Set of banking reforms to ensure better banking experience.
Finance secretary Rajiv kumar launches” Baroda Startup Banking” initiative for start-ups in 15 cities
- Finance Secretary Shri Rajiv Kumar has inaugurated the ‘Baroda Startup Banking’ service with the objective of making Bank of Baroda (BoB) a preferred ally of startup companies and connecting more than 2,000 startups over the next 2- years.
- The initiative was launched simultaneously in 15 cities across India.
Axis Bank appoints Puneet Sharma as CFO
- Axis Bank said its board has approved appointment of Puneet Sharma as Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- His appointment will be effective from March 6, the private sector lender said in a regulatory filing.
- Sharma replaces Jairam Sridharan, who has resigned as the group executive and CFO of the bank, with effect from the close of business hours on March 5.
Abhay Kumar Singh appointed as Chairman & Managing Director of NHPC Limited
- Abhay Kumar Singh has been recently appointed as the Chairman & Managing Director of the Indian PSU, National Hydroelectric Power Corporation Limited.
- Abhay Kumar has replaced Ratish Kumar who held additional charge of the post of Chairman & Managing Director.
Sumant Kathpalia succeeds Romesh Sobti as IndusInd Bank MD & CEO
- Private sector lender IndusInd Bank said that it had appointed Sumant Kathpalia the next managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) from March 24, for a three-year term.
- Kathpalia will succeed current MD & CEO Romesh Sobti, who has been at the helm of affairs for over a decade now.
Rajesh Kumar becomes new MD & CEO of CIBIL
- Credit Information Bureau (India) Limited the largest credit information bureau appointed Rajesh Kumar of HDFC Bank as its new managing director and chief executive. He will succeed Satish
- Headquarters of CIBIL: Mumbai.
Renowned Vedic Scholar Sudhakar Chaturvedi passes away:
- Renowned Vedic Scholar and Gandhian Sudhakar Chaturvedi passed away in Bengaluru today. The centenarian was given the title Chaturvedi for his mastery over the four vedas. He was 122-year-old.
India to host Commonwealth shooting, archery events in January 2022:
India will host the Commonwealth shooting and archery championships in January 2022 and the medals from the two events will be counted in the final tally of the Birmingham Games, an unprecedented move approved by the CGF (Commonwealth Games Federation).
The World Cup in rifle, pistol and shotgun, a test event for the Olympics, will be staged in Tokyo from April 15 to 27.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 28, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.