DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 5, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 5, 2018
Maharashtra Government Approves New Wildlife Sanctuary at Ghodazari
- The Maharashtra government has approved Ghodazari in Chandrapur district as a new wildlife sanctuary in the state.
- The decision was taken at the 13th meeting of the Maharashtra State Board for Wildlife, chaired by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
- The sanctuary is in the North East of Tadoba, will include 159 sq km of Brahmapuri forest.
- The sanctuary includes satbahini hills, Ghodazari Lake, Muktai Waterfall.
India Contributes $1 million to UN Development Partnership Fund
- India has contributed an additional $1 million to the India-UN Development Partnership Fund earmarked for South-South cooperation.
- The India-UN Development Partnership Fund was set up last month as a partnership between India and the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC).
- It aims to intensify its partnerships with other developing countries, the UN Office of South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC) announeced.
Green deed Campaign
- Environment Ministry launches the Green deed Campiagn.It aims the students to give awareness about global warming and climate change.
- Union minister of Environment, Forest and climate change Dr Harsh Vardhan launched the campaign
- A Mobile App named “Dr Harsh Vardhan” was also launched to give awareness to all people from grassroot level.
Cyprus: Nicos Anastasiades wins Presidential election
- Nicos Anastasiades has won a second five-year term as president of the Republic of Cyprus.
- He got 55% votes by defeating familiar left-wing rival Stavros Malas.
Sri Lanka Celebrates 70th Independence Day
- Sri Lanka celebrated the 70th Independence Day in a grand ceremony at the Galle Face Green in Colombo.
- The theme of today’s ceremony is “One Nation”.
- Representing Britain’s Queen, Prince Edward participated in the celebrations as Chief Guests in presence of President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Govt: Sale of Entire Public Stake in DCIL
- The Government has decided to sell off its entire public stake in Dredging Corporation of India Ltd. (DCIL).
- It was released by Department of shipping.
- This decision aims to upgrade technology, improve capability, infuse capital to buy necessary dredgers/equipments and instill experienced professional management to optimize operations of the DCIL.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Shabnam Asthana Wins Times Power Woman 2017 Award
- The Times Group recently celebrated the invaluable contribution of women by introducing The Times Power Woman 2017 (Pune) awards.
- Shabnam Asthana was awarded the ‘Times Power Women of the Year 2017’- Pune for Global PR.The award was conferred on her by Dilip Kamble, Minister of State for Social Justice. These awards were initiated to celebrate the victories of women who have been a great source of inspiration.
Hossain appointed as Bangladesh CJ
- Syed Mahmud Hossain has been appointed as Chief Justice of Bangladesh.
- He has been appointed three months after Surendra Kumar Sinha resigned from the post.
- President Md Abdul Hamid administered the oath for Hossain as the 22nd chief justice of the Supreme Court in Dhaka.
Badminton: India Open 2018
- India Open held annually at the Siri Fort Sports Complex, New Delhi.
- In women’s singles P V Sindhu was defeated by American Beiwen Zhang.
Here are the complete list of winners:
- Men’s Singles: Shi Yuqi (China)
- Women’s Singles: Beiwen Zhang (America), P V Sindhu (runner up)
- Men’s Doubles: Marcus Fernaldi Gideon(Indonesia) and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo (Indonesia)
- Women’s Doubles: Greysia Polii (Indonesia) and Apriyani Rahayu (Indonesia)
- Mixed Doubles: Mathias Christiansen (Denmark) a nd Christinna Pedersen (Denmark)
Kairana Hukum Singh passed away
- Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Member of Parliament from Western Uttar Pradesh’s Kairana, Hukum Singh passed away.