Daily Current Affairs: February 6, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (Febraury 6, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation
- UN chosen February 6th as the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation to amplify the efforts on the removal of this practice.
- Theme: “Unleashing Youth Power: One decade of accelerating actions for zero female genital mutilation”.
President Kovind inaugurates annual Udyanotsav at Rashtrapati Bhavan
- President Ram Nath Kovind opened the annual Udyanotsav of Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- The Mughal Gardens at Rashtrapati Bhavan will be opened for the general public.
- Sir Edwin Lutyens had finalized the designs of the Mughal Gardens as early as 1917.
East Asia Summit on Maritime Cooperation to be held in Chennai
- The Ministry of External Affairs is to organize East Asia Summit in Chennai. This is the fifth time the conference is being held in India.
- The conference is to be held in cooperation with the governments of Australia and Indonesia.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
38 Cr bank accounts opened under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana till January 2020
- Around 38 Crore bank accounts have been opened under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY), till January 2020, Minister of State for Finance- Anurag Thakur announced. No penalty was imposed on Jan Dhan accounts for non-maintenance of minimum balance.
- PMJDY was launched on 28th August 2014.
Karnataka CM launches Janasevaka scheme for home delivery of govt services
- Karnataka launched Janasevaka programme under the Sakala scheme in a few municipal corporation wards to ensure home delivery of various services like ration cards & senior citizen identity cards.
- The scheme pertains to 53 services involving 11 departments.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
Atal Innovation Mission collaborates with Ministries to stimulate Innovation in various sectors
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) joined hands with several ministries such as MSME, agriculture, food processing and also with NITI Aayog to stimulate innovation in India.
- The mission aimed to showcase government funded innovations.
Pink City-Jaipur receives World Heritage Certificate from UNESCO
- Pink City of Rajasthan, Jaipur, received World Heritage Certificate from the UNESCO. The UNESCO Director General Audrey Azoulay visited India to present the certificate.
- Jaipur’s Parkota has been listed in the World Heritage sites of UNESCO.
- Capital: Jaipur
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
WHO calls for USD 675m in donations to fight novel corona virus
- World Health Organization has called for 675 million US dollar in donations for a plan to fight the novel coronavirus, mainly through investment in countries considered particularly “at risk”.
- Director-General of WHO: Tedros Adhanom
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
Indian Oil Corporation signs Mou for Russian owned Rosneft
- Russian state-owned firm Rosneft signed an agreement with Indian Oil Corporation for exporting 2 million tonne of Urals-grade crude oil to India.
- Rosneft is also expected to bid for Indian government-owned Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) though it already holds 49 per cent in Nayara Energy, the erstwhile Essar Oil.
India, Norway ink 4 MoUs in field of research, higher education
- India & Norway signed 4 MoUs in the field of research & higher education to strengthen the bilateral alliance.
- One was signed between the IIT Delhi & UiT-the Arctic University of Norway, for cooperation in fields such as biophotonics & diagnostic tools.
- Currency- Krone.
India-South Korea hold meeting to enhance Bilateral Security Cooperation
- India and South Korea discussed ways to enhance bilateral security cooperation in the field of defence industries and research and development.
- It also promotes investment in Defence Industrial Corridors in Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
Banking and Technology
RBI Monetary Policy keeps repo rate unchanged at 5.15%
RBI Monetary Policy Committee decided to keep repo rate unchanged at 5.15%. It also decided to continue with the accommodative stance as long as it is necessary to revive growth.
RBI expects the GDP to grow by 6% next year
- Policy Repo Rate: 5.15%
- Reverse Repo Rate: 4.90%
- Marginal Standing Facility Rate: 5.40%
- Bank Rate: 5.40%
- CRR: 4%
- SLR: 18.25%
RBI Introduces ‘Low KYC’ To Help Fintech Companies Retain Customers
- RBI has agreed to allow non-compliant KYC (know-your- customer) accounts to continue making payments through mobile wallets.
- This will be done by a mechanism giving customers an option to convert their ‘minimum KYC’ accounts to the RBI’s newly introduced ‘low KYC’ PPI (Prepaid Payment Instrument) accounts.
Insurance cover on bank deposits increases from Rs one lakh to five lakhs
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said in a statement that the cover is provided by the Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), a wholly owned subsidiary of the RBI.
Cabinet approves amendment to bring Cooperative Banks under RBI Regulation
- Union Cabinet approved to bring regulation of cooperative banks under Reserve Bank of India.
- In order to achieve this, the Cabinet approved amendments to banking regulation act 1949.
India Ranks 40th Among 53 Countries in International Intellectual Property Index
- This year’s annual IP Index, brought out by the US Chamber of Commerce Global Innovation Policy Center (GIPC), included 53 countries India scored 38.46% in 2020.
- US ranked first followed by UK, Sweden, France, Germany and Ireland.
Awards and Honours
Saima Yunus Khan becomes first Indian to receive IADR Fellowship
- Dr Saima Yunus Khan, Chairperson, Dept of Paediatrics & Preventive Dentistry of Dr Z A Dental College, Aligarh Muslim University became the 1st Indian to be granted with the famous International Association of Dental Research John Clarkson Fellowship.
- Headquarters of International Association of Dental Research (IADR): Alexandria, USA.
Big Bang Boom Solutions wins prestigious SKOCH Award
- Big Bang Boom Solutions Pvt Ltd (BBBS), start-up company in the defence sector was awarded the prestigious SKOCH Award for “Boron Nitrate Based Personal Hybrid Combat Armour” at New Delhi, India.
Books & Authors
Pop singer Lord J launches his Autobiography Book “Lord J: Lord of Anonymity”
- Lord J is the 1st and only Anonymous singer in the world.
- Lord J was born in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, Lord J is a Self-Taught singer and Lyric writer in an Anonymous way, and he is a world-famous celebrity without revealing his identity to the world.
Rakhi Halder bags gold at Senior Women’s National Weightlifting Championships
- Senior Women’s National Weightlifting Championships, Rakhi Halder of Bengal has bagged gold in the 64kg category of the 35th edition of the event in Kolkata.
Avishek becomes youngest Cricket Association Bengal president
- Former BCCI president late Jagmohan Dalmiya’s son Avishek became the 18th and the youngest president of Cricket Association Bengal (CAB). Avishek, 38, was holding the post of joint secretary before his elevation.
- BCCI president Sourav Ganguly’s elder brother Snehasish Ganguly, a former Bengal left-hander, is the new joint secretary.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 6, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.