DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : JANUARY 20, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : JANUARY 20, 2018
Govt announces name of nine more smart cities
- Urban Development Minister Hardeep Singh Puri announced the name of nine more smart cities. Silvassa in Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli has topped the list of winning cities.
- Under the scheme, each city will get Rs 500 crore from the Centre for implementing various projects.
- The total proposed investment in 99 Smart Cities will be two lakh three thousand 979 crore rupees.
The list of 9 new smart cities:
Former Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel to be next MP Governor
- Former Gujarat chief minister Anandiben Patel will be the new Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
- The appointment was made by the President of India.
- She was the chief minister of Gujarat from 2014 to 2016.
- She replaces O P Kohli, who was given the additional charge as the Governor of Madhya Pradesh in September, 2016, when the tenure of incumbent Ram Naresh Yadav ended.
Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
Governor: Anandiben Patel
Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan crosses 1 crore mark
- Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) has crossed one crore mark in antenatal check-ups. More than one crore antenatal check-ups have been conducted under the ambitious Pradhan.
- It was announced by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Shri J P Nadda.
- The PMSMA programme was launched in 2016 to fulfil his vision and ensure comprehensive and quality antenatal checkups to pregnant women across India.
- Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) has provided quality antenatal checkups to pregnant women on the 9th of every month.
- Shri J P Nadda is the member of the Rajya Sabha from Himachal Pradesh.
Maharashtra gives nod to Rs 4,000-cr climate resilient agri project
- The Maharashtra government has approved a Rs 4,000-crore project aimed at promoting climate-resilient agriculture.
- The project has been named as the Nanaji Deshmukh Krishi Sanjivani Yojana.
- It will be implemented in 5,142 villages across 15 districts.
- In the the total cost of the project is Rs 4,000 crore, 70 percent of which will be borne by the World Bank while the state will contribute 30 percent over six years.
- It will roll out in 2018-19 and continue till 2023-24.
Chief Minister: Devendra Fadnavis
Governor: C. Vidyasagar Rao
India becomes member of Australia Group
- India has joined the Australia Group export control regime and has become the 43rd Member of that Group.
- It is an informal forum which seeks to ensure that exports do not contribute to the development of chemical or biological weapons.
- India also recently entered into the Wassenaar Arrangement and the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR).
Ambassador of Australia to India: Jane Hardy
Australian High Commissioner to India: Harinder Kaur Sidhu
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
AU Small Finance Bank inks MoU with LIC
- Banking finance company AU Small Finance Bank has signed an MoU with LIC to offer Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY).
- Under the MoU, LIC will give a life cover of ₹2 lakh in case of death to the customer at a nominal premium of ₹330 per annum.
- The company will also offer loans under government’s affordable housing and subsidy schemes such as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana and the customers can avail loans up to ₹1 crore.
- The product will be targeted for both salaried and self- employed customers in urban, semi-urban and rural areas.
AU Small Finance Bank
Headquarters: Jaipur, Rajasthan
MD and CEO: Sanjay Agarwal
Mauritius, the Largest source of FDI in India
- Mauritius was the largest source of FDI in India, followed by the US and the UK in 2016-17.
- The census was taken by the Reserve Bank of India.
- In India, Mauritius has 21.8 percent share at market value.
- Total sales, including exports of foreign subsidiaries in India increased by 18.7 percent during 2016-17 whereas their purchases, including imports, increased by 20.1 percent.
Capital: Port Louis
Currency: Mauritian rupee
Prime Minister: Pravind Jugnauth
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
President Kovind unveiled ‘The Heartfulness Way’ book
- President Ram Nath Kovind unveiled a book on heartfulness techniques and principles titled ‘The Heartfulness Way’.
- It is authored by Kamlesh Patel, widely known as Daaji and Joshua Pollock.
- The Heartfulness Way encapsulates a seeker’s journey while examining the nature of spiritual search within and around us.
- It was launched by Commerce and Industries Minister Suresh Prabhu.
WhatsApp Unveils New Business App
- The messaging platform WhatsApp has unveiled a new ‘WhatsApp Business’ app, aimed at small and medium enterprises.
- The Android app will make it easier for companies to connect with customers, as well as its 1.3 billion users to chat with businesses.
- Using the business app, SMEs can help customers with useful information such as a business description, email or store addresses and website.
- It is currently available in Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, the UK and the US.
India Rise Three Places in Latest FIFA Rankings
- India jumped three places to get 102nd rank in the first FIFA rankings of the year.
- India is ranked 14th among Asian countries.
- The top 14 spots remained unchanged with reigning World Champions Germany at the top followed by Brazil, Portugal, Argentina and Belgium.
- Iran are the top-ranked Asian team at the 34th position.
- The captain of Indian Team is Sunil Chhetri.
FIFA: The Federation Internationale de Football Association
President: Gianni Infantino
Headquarters: Zurich, Switzerland
Manav Thakkar World No.2, Diya Chitale No.5 in TT rankings
- Indian players, Manav Thakkar climbed to World Number 2 in the boys’ under-18 category while Diya Chitale rose to Number 5 in the girls’ under-15 category in the International Table Tennis Federation rankings.
- National Champion Payas Jain has climbed to the 11th spot, and behind him is Jeho H at No. 12. Selena Selvakumar is now at No. 37.
International Table Tennis Federation
Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
President: Thomas Weikert
Eminent Cartoonist Chandi Lahiri Passed Away
- The Famous Cartoonist Chandi Lahiri has passed away.He belongs to West Bengal.
- He began his career in 1952 at the ‘Dainik Loksevak’ newspaper as a reporter and took to drawing cartoons in 1961.
CHECK YOUR KNOWLEDGE HERE: DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ : JANUARY 20, 2018