Daily Current Affairs: January 26, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (January 26, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Republic Day (India) – 26 January
- The Republic Day of India is observed on 26 January every year to mark the day on which the Constitution of India came into effect in 26 January 1950, superseding the previously existing Government of India Act of 1935 and turning India into an independent republic.
- This year (2022) marks the 73rd Republic Day of India.
- On this day, the people of India celebrate and honour the achievements of the nation, pay tribute to the people who have sacrificed their lives for the safety of India and remember the rich history of India’s freedom struggle.
International Customs Day – 26 January
- International Customs Day (ICD) is observed on 26 January every year to raise awareness about the importance of customs authorities and their role in the smooth movement of goods across borders.
- This day commemorates the inaugural session of the World Customs Organization (WCO), which was held on 26 January, 1953.
- The World Customs Organization was formed in 1952 as the Customs Co-operation Council (CCC) and its function is to boost the efficiency and effectiveness of customs administrations.
- The theme for International Customs Day 2022 is ‘Scaling up Customs’ Digital Transformation by Embracing a Data Culture and Building a Data Ecosystem’.
CSIR-CDRI scientists develop a RT-PCR kit for Omicron named ‘Om’
- The CSIR–Central Drug Research Institute’s (CIDR) scientists have developed an indigenous RT-PCR kit called ‘Om’ for testing the Omicron.
- This Om indigenous kit is set to be launched in the second week of February, after it receives a nod from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- It is the first kit made by any government institution and the third to be made indigenously for specific testing of Omicron variant of coronavirus.
- This kit will cost around ₹150 and will provide test results in around two hours.
Banking & Economy
SEBI introduces the framework for special situation funds
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has introduced the framework for Special Situation Funds (SSFs) that will invest only in stressed assets.
- SSFs will only invest in stressed assets, such as stressed loans, that are available for purchase in accordance with the Reserve Bank of India’s guidelines or as part of a resolution plan approved under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.
- These funds will also invest in Asset Reconstruction Companies (ARC), security receipts, distressed company securities and any other assets or securities that the board may prescribe from time to time.
- SSFs will be exempted from the investment concentration norm in a single investee company and there will also be no restriction on investing their investible funds in unlisted or listed securities of the investee company.
- The minimum investment by an investor can be ₹10 crores, whereas it can be ₹5 crores in the case of an accredited investor and the minimum corpus will be ₹100 crores.
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
- Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
- Founded: 12 April 1992
AIIB invests $150 million in data centre development for emerging services across Asia
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has committed to invest $150 million in the development of data centres that mostly serve across Asia through the Keppel Data Centre Fund II (KDFC-II), a closed-end private equity vehicle managed by Alpha Investment Partners Limited (Alpha).
- AIIB’s investment of $100 million through a parallel fund structure and $50 million through co-investments mark the final close of KDCF-II, a development fund making strategic investments in the fast-growing data centre sector with a focus on Asia–
IMF forecasts India’s GDP growth rate at 9 per cent for FY22
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) has cut India’s economic growth forecast to 9 per cent for 2022–23 (FY22) from 5 per cent estimated earlier.
- It also projected 1 per cent as India’s GDP growth for the fiscal year 2023–24 (FY23).
International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Headquarters: Washington D.C., The United States
- Managing Director: Kristalina Georgieva
- Chief Economist: Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas
Awards and Recognitions
Padma Awards 2022 were announced
- The Union Government has announced the Padma Awards for 2022. This year (2022) the President of India has approved the conferment of 128 Padma Awards — 4 Padma Vibhushan, 17 Padma Bhushan and 107 Padma Shri awards.
The complete set of Padma Awardees for 2022:
|2||Radheyshyam Khemka (Posthumous)||Literature and Education||Uttar Pradesh|
|3||General Bipin Rawat (Posthumous)||Civil Service||Uttarakhand|
|4||Kalyan Singh (Posthumous)||Public Affairs||Uttar Pradesh|
|5||Ghulam Nabi Azad||Public Affairs||Jammu and Kashmir|
|6||Victor Banerjee||Art||West Bengal|
|7||Gurmeet Bawa (Posthumous)||Art||Punjab|
|8||Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee||Public Affairs||West Bengal|
|9||Natarajan Chandrasekaran||Trade and Industry||Maharashtra|
|10||Krishna Ella and Suchitra Ella* (Duo)||Trade and Industry||Telangana|
|11||Madhur Jaffery||Others (Culinary)||The United States of America|
|13||Rashid Khan||Art||Uttar Pradesh|
|14||Rajiv Mehrishi||Civil Service||Rajasthan|
|15||Satya Narayana Nadella||Trade and Industry||The United States of America|
|16||Sundararajan Pichai||Trade and Industry||The United States of America|
|17||Cyrus Poonawalla||Trade and Industry||Maharashtra|
|18||Sanjaya Rajaram (Posthumous)||Science and Engineering||Mexico|
|19||Pratibha Ray||Literature and Education||Odisha|
|20||Swami Sachidanand||Literature and Education||Gujarat|
|21||Vashishth Tripathi||Literature and Education||Uttar Pradesh|
Padma Shri- 107 persons were awarded the Padma Shri for 2022.
- Padma Vibhushan is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service, Padma Bhushan for distinguished service of high order and Padma Shri for distinguished service in any field.
Six Indian Army soldiers were conferred with Shaurya Chakra awards
- Six personnel were conferred the Shaurya Chakra posthumously — Naib Subedar M. Sreejit, Sepoy Maruprolu Jaswanth Kumar Reddy, Havildar Anil Kumar Tomar, Havildar Kashiray Bammanalli, Havildar Pinku Kumar and Rifleman Rakesh Sharma.
- Along with the six Indian Army personnel who have been awarded the Shaurya Chakra, 19 personnel have been awarded Param Vishisht Seva Medal (PVSM), 33 have been awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) and 77 have been awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal (VSM) for their distinguished service.
- Four personnel have been awarded the Uttam Yudh Seva Medal (UYSM), 10 have been awarded the Yudh Seva Medal (YSM), 84 have been awarded the Sena Medal (Gallantry) and 40 personnel have been awarded the Sena Medal (Distinguished Service).
- Olympic gold medallist Subedar Neeraj Chopra was named for the Param Vishisht Seva Medal (PVSM).
Agreements and MoUs signed
Tata Consultancy Services and Microsoft Cloud join hands for retail partnership
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has joined hands with Microsoft for the newly-launched Microsoft Cloud for Retail.
- After this partnership, TCS will collaborate with leading retailers using its multi-horizon cloud transformation framework to enable retail clients to use Microsoft Cloud for Retail to accelerate their growth and transformation journeys.
- Microsoft Cloud for Retail is a secure industry-specific cloud that brings together various Microsoft technologies linked by a common data model to connect across the end-to-end shopper journey with integrated and intelligent capabilities.
Daily CA- 26 January One-Liners
|Republic Day (India) – 26 January|
|International Customs Day – 26 January|
|CSIR-CDRI scientists develop a RT-PCR kit for Omicron named ‘Om’|
|SEBI introduces the framework for special situation funds|
|AIIB invests $150 million in data centre development for emerging services across Asia|
|IMF forecasts India’s GDP growth rate at 9 per cent for FY22|
|Padma Awards 2022 were announced|
|Six Indian Army soldiers were conferred with Shaurya Chakra awards|
|Tata Consultancy Services and Microsoft Cloud join hands for retail partnership|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 26, 2022, now from the link given below.