Daily Current Affairs : January 28, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 28, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Kazoo Day
- National Kazoo Day on January 28th recognizes nearly 200 years of kazoo music in the United States.
- Founded in 1983 by Chaplin Willard Rahn of the Joyful Noise Kazoo Band, National Kazoo Day celebrates the humble kazoo and all the infectious joy it brings to people of all ages.
Data Privacy Day
- Cybersecurity is a growing concern. Data Privacy Day is observed every January 28th as a reminder to protect and safeguard private data.
- Data Privacy Day was first initiated by the Council in Europe in 2007. In 2009 the United States House of Representatives recognized National Data Privacy Day and the United States Senate recognized Data Privacy Day in 2010 and 2011
Lala Lajpat Rai Birth Anniversary: The legacy of the famed nationalist
Lala Lajpat Rai (28 January 1865 – 17 November 1928) was one of India’s most celebrated freedom fighters. His ideology of nationalism and zealous patriotism earned him the title, ‘Punjab Kesari’ and ‘Lion of Punjab’. He was part of the famous radical trio Lal Bal Pal,who advocated the Swadeshi movement in India, involving the boycott of all imported goods and the use of Indian made goods
Prime Minister to inaugurate 3rd Global Potato Conclave-2020 at Gandhinagar in Gujarat
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 3rd Global Potato Conclave-2020 at Gandhinagar in Gujarat through video conferencing. The four day Conclave will provide an opportunity to bring all stakeholders at one common platform. Gujarat is one of the leading producers of Potato in the country.
- Netherland is the partner country of this conclave. The four day mega event will have three major components, which include the Potato Conference, the Agri Expo and Potato Field Day.
- This conclave is being organized by the Indian Potato Association (IPA) in collaboration with (Indian Council of Agricultural Research ICAR), Central Potato Research Institute, Shimla and International Potato Center, Lima, Peru.
Home Minister Amit Shah chairs 22nd meeting of Central Zonal Council in Chhattisgarh
- 22nd meeting of the Central Zonal Council is progressing at Raipur, the state capital of Chhattisgarh. Union Home Minister Amit Shah is presiding over the meeting.
- Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adtiyanath, CM of Madhya Pradesh Kamal Nath, CM of Uttarakhand Trivendra Singh Rawat and CM of host state Chhattisgarh Bhupesh Baghel are attending the 22nd meeting of Central Zonal Council.
Centre & Assam govt to provide 1,500 crore rupees assistance for economic development of community under agreement
- Centre signed an accord with the Assam-based different insurgent groups and civil societies including the National Democratic Front of Bodoland.
- The tripartite agreement was signed in the presence of Union Home Minister Amit Shah and Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
- Joint Secretary in the Union Home Ministry Satyendra Garg, Assam Chief Secretary Kumar Sanjay Krishna and top leadership of the four factions of the NDFB signed the agreement. The accord will provide political, economic, executive and land rights to Bodo tribals and will safeguard their cultural and linguistic identities.
Minister of Foreign, European Affairs of Luxembourg arrives in New Delhi on 3-day visit to India
- Minister of Foreign and European Affairs of Luxembourg Jean Asselborn arrived in New Delhi on a three-day visit to India. During his stay, Mr Asselborn will meet External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar.
- He will visit Rajghat to pay tributes to Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi. Mr Asselborn is also scheduled to address an event in New Delhi.
Maharashtra govt launches its much-awaited ‘Shiv Bhojan’ scheme
- Maharashtra government launched its ‘Shiv Bhojan’ scheme, which is aimed at providing meal to the poor for 10 Rs, on the 71st Republic Day.
- Lunch plates would be available to people at designated centres during a stipulated time in all the districts.
- “Shiv Bhojan Thali” canteen was launched in Mumbai.
Coast Guard Ship ‘Annie Besant’ reaches base harbour at Chennai
- Indian Coast Guard Ship Annie Besant has reached its base harbour at Chennai yesterday.
- It was received with pomp and splendour by the staff and their family members of the Coast Guard Chennai office.
- The ship Annie Besant is the third Fast Patrol Vessel of the ‘Priyadarshini’ class.
- The ship has been indigenously designed and built and was commissioned at Khidderpore Dock, Kolkata recently.
- The ship ICGS Annie Besant is 48.9 m long and has a beam of 7.5 m with a displacement of 308 tonnes.
Arunachal’s ‘eForest Fire app’ bags e-Governance ‘Jury Award’
- A digital app to detect forest fire, developed under district level initiative in e-Governance has bagged the ‘Jury Award’ under Category-Ill, to be given during the 23rd National Conference on e-Governance, to be held on 7 and 8 February in Mumbai.
Uttar Pradesh government signs MoU for efficient e-procurement on GeM
- Uttar Pradesh government has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the government eMarketplace (GeM), under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry to set up a GeM Organizational Transformation Team (GOTT) Project Management Unit (PMU).
Nepal: Agni Sapkota elected speaker of House of Representatives,lower house of parliament
- Nepal Communist Party’s Agni Sapkota has been elected as the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the lower house of Parliament in Nepal.
- A meeting of the House of Representatives was held in Kathmandu yesterday to elect the Speaker.
- Mr. Sapkota will take oath of office and secrecy. The post of Speaker was lying vacant since October last year after Mr Krishna Bahadur Mahara resigned following allegations of attempted rape.
Slovenian Prime Minister Marjan Sarec resigns
- Slovenian Prime Minister Marjan Sarec announced for step down and called for fresh elections, following weeks of rising tensions within his minority five-party coalition government.
- Mr Sarec’s resignation came almost at the same time as Finance Minister Andrej Bertoncelj announced that he too would quit in a row over health care funding.
- Mr Sarec, is Slovenia’s youngest-ever Prime Minister. He was previously best known as a comedian and political satirist before he launched himself as an anti-establishment politician.
Science and Technology
India’s first Super Fab Lab inaugurated in Kerala
- Country’s 1st Super Fab Lab, that will give a major push to the hardware industry in the country & the only such facility outside U.S, was launched at the Integrated Start-up Complex of the Kerala Start-up Mission.
- CM Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the lab.
- It will collaborate with Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Asian Tennis Federation unanimously nominates Anil Khanna as life President
- Senior Sports Administrator Anil Khanna, who recently decided not to contest the President’s post of the Asian Tennis Federation (ATF), was today nominated Life President of the continental body.
- Mr Khanna had served as ATF President from 2005 to 2019 and also ITF Vice President from 2015-19.
- The ATF held the meeting of its Board of Directors in Melbourne and unanimously nominated Mr Khanna as Life President.
- He was also appointed Chairman of the ATF Finance Committee.
Vakrangee appoints Ramesh Joshi as Non-Executive Chairman
- Vakrangee Limited has appointed Mr. Ramesh Joshi (EX-RBI & EX-SEBI ED) as the Non-Executive Chairman of the company as well as has Re-designated Mr. Dinesh Nandwana, Executive Chairman as the Managing Director and Group CEO in place of Mr. Anil Khanna.
- Vakrangee Limited is a technology company based in Mumbai.
Sunil Mehta got appointed as Chief Executive of Indian Banks’ Association
- Former managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of Punjab National Bank (PNB), Sunil Mehta, took over as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
- Mehta will replace VG Kannan, who resigned from office as chief executive of IBA.
Awards and Recognition
Election Commission of India (ECI) award for The Hindu Tamil
- Election Commission of India(ECI) awarded National Media Award for print to “The Hindu Tamil” as part of the poll panel’s national awards for voter awareness and education campaign in 2019 on the occasion of the 10th National Voters Day held at New Delhi.
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented National Media Award for print to K.Ashokan, Editor, The Hindu Tamil for encouraging people for ‘Right to vote based on the merit of candidates’ during Lok Sabha election 2019.
62nd Annual Grammy Awards to take place in Los Angeles
- The 62nd annual Grammy Awards will take place in Los Angeles, USA.
- Billed as “music’s biggest night“, the ceremony is more like “music’s longest day” – with festivities kicking off at lunchtime in LA and stretching out into the night.
Singer Lizzo takes 3 awards
- R&B newcomer Lizzo won three of her leading eight nominations. Billie Eilish won the first of six potential awards. She was the youngest person ever nominated for all four awards at the same time. Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus were named as best pop duo.
- Finneas was named as the producer of the year.
‘Andaz Apna Apna’ producer Vinay Sinha passes away
- Filmmaker Vinay Sinha, best known for producing cult comedy “Andaz Apna Apna”, has died at the age of 74.
- Sinha was also the man behind popular Hindi films such as “Ameer Aadmi Gharib Aadmi”, “Naseeb” and “Chor Police”.
- He was also vice president of IMPPA (Indian Motion Picture Producers’ Association).
JDS leader and former Karnataka Minister Kodman Amarnath Shetty passes away at 80
- Janata Dal (Secular) (JDS) leader and former Minister of Karnataka Kodman Amarnath Shetty passed away in Mangaluru, Karnataka. He was 80.
Assamese linguist Golok Chandra Goswami passed away at 96
- Eminent linguist Golok Chandra Goswami passed away at the age of 96, in Guwahati, Assam due to old age ailments.
- Golok Chandra Goswami was born in Morigaon, Assam in 1923.
Gibraltar Chess Festival: R. Praggnanandhaa beats former world champion Veselin Topalov
- Indian Grand Master R. Praggnanandhaa pulled off a huge upset, beating former world champion Veselin Topalov in the sixth round of the 18th Gibraltar Chess Festival to record his fifth straight win.
- The 14-year old Chennai lad needed just 33 moves to put it across the Bulgarian. He had started with a loss against compatriot P V Nandhidhaa but since then he has been on a winning spree.
- Praggnanandhaa is in second spot on five points with six other players and will take on Chinese GM Wang Hao in the seventh round.
Saurav Ghosal loses final against top-seed Fares Dessouky in Pittsburgh Open
- In Squash, Saurav Ghosal finished runners-up at the Pittsburgh Open after suffering a 0-3 loss to Egypt’s Fares Dessouky.
- Saurav then locked horns with fifth-seeded Omar Mossad in the semi-finals. The 33-year-old took one hour and 13 minutes to defeat the Egyptian 11-6, 16-18, 11-7, 12-10 in an intense match.
- Saurav is a highly regarded Indian squash player and is also the top-ranked in the country.
Shooting: Kiran Ankush Jadhav wins 10m air rifle T1 trial
- In Shooting, Kiran Ankush Jadhav of the Indian Navy won the men’s 10 metres air rifle T1 trial even as Maharashtra’s Rudrankksh Balasaheb Patil clinched both the junior and youth trials in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Rudrankksh came in second in the men’s final.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 28, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.