Daily Current Affairs : January 29, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 29, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Odisha launches virtual police station
- Odisha Government has launched a virtual police station where people can lodge complaints from their respective districts regarding theft of their vehicles without visiting Police Station. The e-police station will function from State Crime Records Bureau in Bhubaneswar.
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the facility along with road accident case documents module and medico legal opinion system projects of Odisha Police.
Mumbai International Film Festival got off to a colourful start
- The oldest international event for non-feature films in South Asia, the Mumbai International Film Festival for Documentary, Short Fiction and Animation Films, got off to a colourful start in Mumbai.
- Dr. V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award was conferred on Dr. S. Krishnaswamy, one of India’s most senior and active filmmakers, for his lifelong, invaluable contribution to non-fiction film-making.
Dr Jitendra Singh launches Bhuvan Panchayat V 3.0 Web portal
- The Union Minister of State (I/C) Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh launched the Bhuvan Panchayat V 3.0 web portal in Bengaluru.
India’s first underwater Metro: To begin in March 2022 in Kolkata
- Kolkata Metro Rail Corp. expects to complete East-West project, which runs partly under the Hooghly river, by March 2022 after several years delay.
- A soft loan of 41.6 billion Rs from Japan International Cooperation Agency helps fund 48.5% of the project.
Indian Railways to run 100% on electricity by 2024: Piyush Goyal
- Railways minister Piyush Goyal stated that the Railways is expected to switch completely to electricity by 2024 as diesel locomotives are steadily being shunted out of service.
- It will be the 1st railway network in the world to be run on 100% electricity.
Andhra Pradesh Cabinet nods to abolish Legislative Council
- YS Jagan Mohan Reddy-led govt passed a resolution in the Legislative Assembly to abolish the Legislative Council.
- It comes after the upper house stalled critical resolutions on shifting the capital city from Amaravati through their ‘3 capital cities’ plans.
NCML released first estimates for 2019-20 rabi crop production
- NCML (National Collateral Management Services Limited) has released its first estimates for 2019-20 rabi crop production. The monsoon season of 2019 witnessed 10% above normal rainfall.
- Wheat production during 2019-20 is estimated at 1090 lakh tonnes. Paddy has increased by 5% compared to previous year.
Britain unveils 50 pence coin minted to mark Brexit
- Britain unveiled a new 50 pence coin minted to mark the country’s departure from the European Union, which bears the inscription “Peace, prosperity & friendship with all nations” and the Brexit date of 31 January 2020. Britain Finance Minister-Sajid Javid.
- Britain Capital-London
- Currency- Pound Sterling.
UK launches 4-mn pound Innovation Challenge Fund in India
UK government has launched about Rs 37 Crore fund in India to support collaborative research into emerging technologies. Fund will encourage industry & academia to collaborate & develop tech solutions for social, economic & environmental challenges in India.
Focus is on AI in Karnataka & future mobility in Maharashtra.
Qatar names Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdelaziz Al Thani new PM
- Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdelaziz Al Thani appointed as a new Prime Minister of Qatar. He replacing Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani.
Jerusalem will remain Israel’s undivided capital
- United States President Donald Trump said Jerusalem will remain Israel’s undivided capital as he unveiled his Middle East peace plan aimed at solving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, describing it as historic and a giant step towards peace.
Oxford University Press named ‘Samvidhaan’ as Hindi word of 2019
- Oxford University Press (OUP) named Samvidhaan (Constitution) the Oxford Hindi Word of 2019, saying it received widespread attention in the year which was witness to the spirit of the Indian Constitution being embraced across segments of the society.
- The Oxford University Press, which chose “Aadhaar” as its first “Hindi word of the year 2018.
China to launch its first Mars probe mission in July 2020
- While NASA is preparing to send its Mars 2020 rover to explore the red planet, China also announced its plan to launch first Mars mission probe in July 2020.
- A total of 24 high thrust hydrogen-oxygen rocket engine tests will be conducted for this in 2020.
- It will be launched by the Long March-5 Y4 carrier rocket.
Banking and Financial News
Janak Raj to succeed Michael Patra at RBI’s monetary policy department
- The Reserve Bank of India has appointed Janak Raj, principal advisor to the monetary policy department, as executive director.
- He succeeds Michael Patra effective January 24.
- With this, the RBI will have 12 EDs, its full strength.
- Patra will be part of the six-member monetary policy committee (MPC) as a deputy governor, and so will be Raj as an ED of the department. Raj would be part of MPC as an internal RBI member.
Yes Bank sells shares worth Rs 5.7 crore in Reliance Power
- Yes Bank offloaded shares worth over Rs 5.7 crore in Reliance Power through an open market transaction.
- According to bulk deal data on the National Stock Exchange (NSE), a total of 3,02,59,855 shares, representing 1.07 per cent of the total shares of Reliance Power, were sold by the private lender.
Royal Australian Navy Ship HMAS Toowoomba at Mumbai
- Royal Australian Navy (RAN) Ship HMAS Toowoomba is currently on a visit to Mumbai.
- Cmde Ray Leggatt, Commander Combined Task Force (CTF) – 150 and Commander Mitchell Livingstone, Commanding Officer.
Indian Navy Launches ‘Operation Vanilla’ to Provide Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief at Madagascar
- Indian Navy Ship Airavat, whilst mission deployed in the Southern Indian Ocean has been diverted to Antsiranana based on request recieved from Madagascar.
- The ship will undertake Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief mission as part of ‘Operation Vanilla’ which has been launched to provide assistance to the affected population of Madagascar post devastation caused by Cyclone Diane.
Taranjit Singh Sandhu appointed India’s ambassador to US, says MEA
- Taranjit Singh Sandhu has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to the US, replacing Harsh Vardhan Shringla, the Ministry of External Affairs. Sandhu, a 1988-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently posted as High Commissioner of India in Sri Lanka
- Harsh Vardhan Shringla is set to take over as the next foreign secretary.
Awards and Recognition
Navy’s Commodore Jyotin Raina awarded Nao Sena Medal
- Commodore Jyotin Raina of the Indian Navy has been awarded the Nao Sena Medal (gallantry) for ensuring that the Western Fleet was ready to meet operational tasks within a very rapid time frame post the Pulwama attack in February last year, the Navy.
- Raina is currently the Fleet Operations Officer of the Navy’s Western Fleet.
Former Indian women’s hockey team captain & Arjuna awardee Sunita Chandra passed away at 76
Sunita Chandra 76 years old, passed away in her hometown Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. Sunita Chandra was an Arjuna awardee.
Netherland’s football player Robbie Rensenbrink passes away at 72
Pieter Robert Rensenbrink, a dutch football player passed away at the age of 72 in Brussels, Belgium, as he was suffering from muscular atrophy for a number of years. He was born on 3rd July 1947 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
‘Relentless’ Autobiography by Former finance minister Yashwant Sinha released by Pranab Mukherjee
- Former president of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee released the autobiography of former Finance Minister Shri Yashwant Sinha titled “Relentless” at the India International Centre in New Delhi.
- The book describes Sinha’s journey from a normal life to a high political powered life. The book is published by Bloomsbury Publishing India Pvt ltd.
India’s Esow Alben bags gold in men’s Keirin individual event of Six Day Berlin Tournament
- India’s Esow Alben has bagged a gold in the men’s Keirin individual event of the Six Day Berlin Tournament. The 18-year-old finished on top of the podium, earning 20 classification points.
- Czech Republic’s Tomas Babek, who won a silver in the 2017 World Championship, came in second while Maximilian Lev of Germany took home the bronze.
Mizoram defeats Sikkim in North East Dr T Ao Trophy
- Two times champion Mizoram defeated Sikkim by a solitary goal to emerge as the champion of the Northeast Dr. T Ao Football Trophy 2020 at Indira Gandhi Stadium in Kohima.
- Rhitsho Mero received the golden boot for his 10 goals.
- Nagaland defeated Arunachal Pradesh by 4-2 to claim the third position.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of January 29, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.