Daily Current Affairs : January 4, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (January 4, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
World Braille Day being celebrated
- The world Braille Day is being celebrated on January 4.
- The day is marked remembering the birth anniversary of Louis Braille, the inventor of Braille – for people with visual disabilities.
- Louis Braille was born on 4th January 1809 in the town of Coupvray in northern France.
PM pays tributes to Savitribai Phule on her birth anniversary
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tributes to social reformer Savitribai Phule on her birth anniversary on January 3.
Gujarat CM unveils world’s 2nd tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani unveils the second tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in the world at Ahmedabad.
- 50 feet tall bronze statue with the weight of 70 thousand kilograms has been unveiled at the Sardardham campus near Vaishnodevi circle in Ahmedabad. It has become the second highest statue of India’s first home minister after the Statue of Unity of the legendary leader situated at Kevadiya in Narmada district of Central Gujarat.
Smriti Irani launches ‘Meri Dilli, Mera Sujhav’ Campaign
- Union Minister and Senior BJP leader Smriti Irani launched a Meri Dilli, Mera Sujhav Campaign with a view to gather suggestions from the people of the national capital for formulation of party’s manifesto for the forthcoming Assembly polls in Delhi.
- The campaign g will be run for next 14 days in all 70 Assembly Constituencies for this purpose. Mrs Smriti Irani also launched a website and mobile number 6357171717 on which people can record their suggestions.
Shri Nityanand Rai inaugurates 4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship 2019
- “Sports have a special significance for the police forces, as sports and games inculcate values like esprit de corps, discipline and dedication to duty”, said Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Nityanand Rai, while inaugurating the 4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship 2019, in New Delhi.
- 4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship Echoing the vision of the Prime Minister and the Union Home Minister on the ambitious ‘Khelo India’ programme.
- The 4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship organized this year by CRPF is being attended by 34 participating teams consisting of 1207 sports persons from across the country, with a total of 15 Trophies and 214 Medals, including one Medal for the Best Gymnast, in contention.
UPSRTC launched ‘Damini’ helpline service for women
- UPSRTC (Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation) has launched ‘Damini’ helpline service considering the safety of the women passengers.
- As the extension of ‘Nirbhaya Yojana’ the unique number “81142-77777” has been subscribed for this helpline.
- Using these helpline women passengers can lodge their complaints by calling the helpline number and by using WhatsApp service.
Railways renames RPF as Indian Railway Protection Force Service
- The Indian Railways has renamed its security force RPF (Railway Protection Force) as Indian Railway Protection Force Service.
- The ministry has accorded organised Group A status to RPF and renamed it.
- The Railway Protection Force (RPF) is a security force, enacted by the Indian Parliament for “the better protection and security of railway property”.
- The force is under the authority of the Indian Ministry of Railways.
KVIC opened first silk processing plant in Gujarat to boost production of signature Patola Saree
- In a historic initiative taken by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), a first Silk Processing Plant was inaugurated today at Surendra agar in Gujarat which would help cut down the cost of production of silk yarn drastically and increase the sale and availability of raw material for Gujarati Patola Sarees locally.
- The plant has been set up by a khadi institution at a cost of Rs 75 lack in which KVIC has contributeed Rs 60 lakh. The unit has employed 90 local women, 70 of which belong to the Muslim community.
- Chairman, KVIC Shri V. K. Saxena said that cocoons will be brought from Karnataka and West Bengal and Silk yarn will be processed in house, thus reducing the cost of production and giving a major boost to the sale of famous Gujarati Patola Sarees. Surendranagar district is a backward district in Gujarat where KVIC has invested Rs. 60 Lakhs to build the Silk Processing Plant.
Andhra Pradesh Government appoints two ‘Disha Special Officers’
- The Andhra Pradesh government-appointed Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Dr Kritika Shukla and Indian Police Service (IPS) official M Deepika, as Special Officers for implementing the Andhra Pradesh Disha Act 2019.
- The Act is intended for speedy trial and faster execution in cases of sexual offences against women in the state.
- To ensure a speedy trial, the state will set up exclusive special courts in all the 13 districts to deal with cases of offences against women and children including rape, acid attacks, stalking, voyeurism, social media harassment of women, sexual harassment and all cases under POCSO Act.
Kerala became 1st State to pass resolution against CAA
- Kerala became the 1st state in the country to pass a resolution against the Citizenship Amendment Act.
- The resolution was moved by Kerala’s Chief Minister Pinarayee Vijayan and was seconded by the Leader of Opposition Ramesh Chennithala.
- Several other chief ministers of West Bengal, Punjab, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Delhi have also announced for not implementing CAA in their states.
BANKING & FINANCE
BoB joins hands with JM Financial for co-lending to home buyers
- Bank of Baroda (BoB), an Indian Multinational, public sector Bank has signed a co-lending partnership agreement with JM Financial Home Loans Limited (JMFHL), the housing finance arm of JM Financial Group, to provide retail loans to home buyers.
- This tie up will boost the credit delivery to customers & also promote home buying field in India.
- Bank of Baroda (BoB) Founded- 20 July 1908
- Headquarters- Vadodara, Gujarat
- Non-Executive Chairman- Hasmukh Adhia
- Tagline- India’s International Bank.
Iran’s Gen Qassem Soleimani died in US airstrike on Baghdad airport
- Iran’s top commander General Qassim Soleimani has been killed in a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad.
- Soleimani, who led a special forces unit of Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards, has been a key figure of Iranian and the Middle East politics.
- His death exacerbated already-high tensions between Iran and the United States and triggered concerns of retaliation from Iranian forces.
- After the news of Soleimani’s death, oil prices jumped more than 4% and fuelling fears of a conflict in the crude-rich region.
Natyasurya Awardee dramatist Ratna Ojha passed away
- Eminent Assamese dramatist, litterateur and social activist Ratna Ojha passed away.
- He had introduced street plays in Assam in 1971 with his skit ‘Kokaideo’ to revive the theatre movement in the state that was fading with the death of his mentor Phani Sarma.
- For his contribution to the field of theatre, he received the prestigious Natyasurya Award in 2005.
Manav Thakkar becomes world no.1 in latest International Table Tennis Federation rankings
- Young Indian paddler Manav Thakkar today became world no.1 in the latest International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) rankings in the Under-21 men’s singles category.
- With this, Thakkar became the fourth Indian to achieve the feat after Harmeet Desai, G Sathiyan and Soumyajit Ghosh.
- Among other Indians, G. Sathiyan has managed to retain his 30th spot in the senior category.
- Achanta Sharath Kamal has climbed a spot to 33rd position.
- Top woman paddler, Manika Batra was static at the 61st position.
Achievements of Indian Railways sports persons at International and National levels in 2019
- Indian Railways sportspersons have performed excellently in the year 2019 by winning medals and bringing laurels to themselves as well as Indian Railways at National and International levels.
|Sr.No||Name of the Sportsperson||Sport||Award|
|1||Shri Bajrang Punia||Wrestling||Rajeev Gandhi Khel Ratna|
|2||Shri S. Bhaskaran||Body Building||Arjuna Award|
|3||Ms Sonia Lather||Boxing||Arjuna Award|
|4||Shri Chinglensena Singh Kangujam||Hockey||Arjuna Award|
|5||Ms Poonam Yadav||Cricket||Arjuna Award|
|6||Shri Niteen Kirrtane||Tennis||Dhyanchand Award|
Cristiano Ronaldo bags best men’s player title at Dubai Globe Soccer Awards
- Famous Portuguese professional football player Cristiano Ronaldo was awarded by Globe Soccer Award as the best men’s player of the year in the international football function held in Dubai. Ronaldo has won the award six times out of its nine years of its existence and also marked 4th consecutive time.
- England international Lucy Bronze was awarded the best women’s player of the year.
- The 11th edition of the Globe Soccer Award, marks a new era for football recognition took place in Madinet Jumeirah Resort, Middle East, Dubai.
For the first time Lawn bowls & Cycling to be included in 3rd Khelo India Games 2020
- Chief Executive Officer of “Khelo India Games” has announced the inclusion of “Lawn bowls” and “Cycling” in the 3rd edition of Khelo India Games. These two games will be included in the event for the first time.
- Around 6500 athletes from 37 teams will take part in the 3rd edition of Khelo India youth games in Guwahati, Assam which is scheduled to be held from 10th of January to 22nd of February at Indira Gandhi Stadium.