DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jul 19 & 20, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jul 19 & 20 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Chess Day: July 20
- International Chess Day is celebrated on July 20 every year as the founding day of the FIDE (World Chess Federation). This year will mark FIDE’s 96th Chess is one of the oldest strategy games in the world.
India Business Council to host 2020 India Ideas Summit on July 22:
- The Summit hosted by Indian Business Council convenes business and government leaders for discussions on the future of the S-India Partnership and the trends shaping globalization, trade and investment, and the future of work in the COVID-era and beyond.
Chhattisgarh govt launches ‘Mukhyamantri Suposhan Yojana’ to combat malnutrition in state:
- Chhattisgarh was tagged among those states which have high levels of malnutrition and anaemia among children and women in the National Health Family Survey (NHFS) – 4 (2015-16).
- Bhupesh Baghel led Chhattisgarh government to launch a crusade — the ‘Mukhyamantri Suposhan Yojana’ on October 2, 2019, on the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: AnusuiyaUikey
Prakash Javadekar hails KURMA mobile app towards conservation of Indian turtles:
- Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar hailed the KURMA mobile application as a unique tool for tracking and reporting Indian turtles. It was launched on 23rd May this year on occasion of World Turtle Day It aims to conserve turtles and tortoises.
- It was developed by Indian Turtle Conservation Action Network.
International Centre for Automotive Technology launches an e-portal “ASPIRE”:
- An e-Portal named “Automobile Solutions Portal for Industry, Research & Education (ASPIRE)” has been launched by the International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT).
- The portal has been launched to improve the technological capability of Indian automotive sector with the help of exchange of knowledge & expertise, to make them self reliant and to enable the growth of automobile sector including overall socio-economic progress of the country.
Indian Navy Conducts Drills In The Andaman Nicobar Islands To Be Battle-Ready:
- In a subtle message to China, Indian Navy conducted drill near the Andaman & Nicobar Islands with several warships, destroyers, frigates and submarines taking part in the exercise. This exercise was led by eastern naval fleet Rear Admiral Sanjay Vatsayan.
North East state capitals to be connected via rail network by 2023: Railway Board:
- Railway Board Chairman VK Yadav said that all the capitals of North-Eastern states will be connected to the rail network by 2023. Capitals of Assam, Tripura & AP are already connected. In Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland & Meghalaya the work is in progress. Katra-Banihal rail link project is to be completed by Dec 2022.
Arunachal Pradesh plans 100% tap connections by 2023; Jal Jeevan Mission:
- Arunachal Pradesh Government has decided to provide 100% tap water connections to all the households in the state by 2023 & water treatment plants are being made an integral part of schemes to provide potable water under Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor: B.D. Mishra
Andhra Pradesh government announces renewable energy export policy:
- The state government announced the Andhra Pradesh Renewable Energy Export Policy, 2020. The policy will apply to solar, wind and wind-solar hybrid projects. Under this policy, the land will be effectively used for renewable energy projects.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
India establishes air travel bubbles with US, France, Germany:
- India has established individual bilateral bubbles with France, Germany and the US that will allow airlines of each country in the pact to operate flights. An Air Bubble with the UK to also soon to be permitted. India – UAE bubble was recently permitted.
India lifted record 273 million out of poverty in 10 years: UNDP report:
- About 273 mn Indians moved out of multidimensional poverty b/w 2005-6 and 2015-16, as per UNDP & OPHI Multidimensional poverty encompasses the various deprivations experienced such as poor health, lack of education, inadequate living standards etc.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP):
- Headquarters: New York.
- Administrator: Achim Steiner
Pakistan and China signed for the 700 MW Azad Pattan hydel power project:
- Pakistan and China signed an agreement for the 700 MW Azad Pattan hydel power project on the Jhelum river in Sudhoti district of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK). The $ 1.5-billion project is the second power project under the China Pakistan.
- Capital: Islamabad
- Currency: Pakistani rupee
- Prime minister: Imran Khan
- Capital: Beijing
- President: Xi Jinping
- Currency: Renminbi
Banking and Economy:
India Ratings expect Centre’s fiscal deficit to shoot up to 7.6% in FY21:
- Government’s fiscal deficit is estimated to touch 6 percent in FY21, more than double the Budget Estimate, as the nation spends extra to lessen the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic while facing a shortfall in incomes. It has also predicted a GDP contraction of 5.3%.
Bank of Maharashtra launches OD facility against fixed deposits:
- Bank of Maharashtra has launched an Overdraft Facility (OD) against fixed deposits (FDs) for its individual customers holding a savings bank account.
- Under this facility, up to 90 per cent of the FD value can be availed as OD. The interest rate on this facility will be 2 percentage points over and above the FD rate.
Science and Technology:
UAE has successfully launched the Arab world’s first Mars mission:
- United Arab Emirates successfully launched its Mars-bound Hope Probe marking the the Arab world’s first interplanetary mission and the first of three international missions to the Red Planet this summer.
- The spacecraft is expected to reach Mars orbit in about 200 days from now and then begin its mission to study Mars`s atmosphere.
IIM-Kozhikode Startup Develops Wearable Hand Band To Ensure Social Distancing:
- Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM-K) has developed a wearable hand band that helps in maintaining social distancing by sending out alarm in case of proximity with another person. It is Known as the Veli Band, the device has been developed by Qual5 India Pvt.Ltd
Roshni Nadar becomes HCL Tech Chairperson and First Woman to Chair Listed Indian IT firm:
- Country’s richest woman Roshni Nadar Malhotra became the first woman to head a listed Indian IT company as she took over as the Chairperson of USD 8.9 billion HCL Technologies from her father and billionaire Shiv Nadar. She featured in ‘World’s 100 Most Powerful Women’ list by Forbes
Praveen Siddharth appointed Private Secretary to President:
- P Praveen Siddharth has been appointed as Private Secretaryto the President of India Ramnath Kovind. He replaces Vikram Singh whose tenure was curtailed at President Secretariat.
Awards and Recognitions:
South Central Railway’s Ongole Sub-Division Office bags WATER HEROES AWARD from Jal Shakti Ministry:
- Ongone Sub-Divisional Office of Vijayawada Division, Andhra, South Central Railway has been declared as winner in the “Water Heroes Award” for the month of April, 2020 launched by Ministry of Jal Shakti.
Marianna Vardinoyannis & Morissana Kouyaté win 2020 United Nations Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize:
- Vardinoyannis is the founder and president of two foundations dedicated to children, in the fight against child cancer. Morissanda Kouyate, is a leading figure in efforts to end violence against women in Africa, including Female Genital Mutilation.
Tara June Winch wins 2020 Miles Franklin award for her book “The Yield”:
- ‘The Yield’, by Tara June Winch won the Miles Franklin award for 2020. The award was set up by and named after Miles Franklin, who wanted an award for the “Advancement, improvement and betterment of Australian literature”.
Narendra Singh Tomar declared the 2019 ICAR Awards in 92nd ICAR Foundation Day:
- Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated the Virtual celebration of the 92nd Foundation day of Indian Council of Agricultural Research(ICAR) and declared the 2019 ICAR Awards from Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi.
Books and Authors:
AP CM Pema Khandu releases book ” The Tangams: An Ethnolinguistic Study Of The Critically Endangered Group of Arunachal Pradesh”:
- The book titled ‘The Tangams: An Ethnolinguistic Study Of The Critically Endangered Group of Arunachal Pradesh’ was released by Arunachal Chief Minister Pema Khandu.
- The book is based on the Tangams, a critically endangered speech community of Arunachal Pradesh domiciled at Kugging village, Upper Siang district of Arunachal Pradesh.
Civil Rights Leader And Champion Of Nonviolent Action C.T. Vivian Dies At 95:
- The Rev CT Vivian, a civil rights veteran who worked alongside the Rev Martin Luther King Jr and later led the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), has died. He was 95. His civil rights work stretched back for more than six decades.
John Lewis, towering figure of America’s Civil Rights Movement, dies at 80:
- John Robert Lewis, the son of sharecroppers who survived a brutal beating by police during a landmark 1965 march in Selma, Alabama, to become a towering figure of the civil rights movement and a long-time US congressman, has died.
Bollywood Film director Rajat Mukherjee dies in Jaipur:
- Filmmaker Rajat Mukherjee, best known for directing Manoj Bajpayee-starrer “Road” and romantic thriller “Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya”, passed away due to kidney ailments in the wee hours of Sunday. He was in his late 50s.
Eminent mathematician C S Seshadri passes away:
- Eminent Indian mathematician of the post-Independence era, Professor C S Seshadri has passed away. He was the founder and Director-Emeritus of the Chennai Mathematical Institute, an institute for the study of mathematics in India.
Real Madrid Beat Villarreal to Clinch 34th LaLiga Title:
- Real Madrid clinched their 34th LaLiga title with a game still to go after beating Villarreal 2-1. Karim Benzema starred for Madrid with a brace to seal the win – which is also their tenth consecutive win.
Former Chelsea Forward And World Cup Winner Andre Schurrle Retires At 29:
- Former Chelsea attacker and Borussia Dortmund forward Andre Schurrle announced his retirement from professional football. The World Cup winner won 57 caps for his country and feature for Chelsea and Wolfsburg prior to joining the Bundesliga club in 2016. He represented the German national team from 2010 to 2017.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.