DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jul 2, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jul 2 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World UFO Day-2 July:
- World Unidentified Flying Object Day observed on July 2 spread awareness about the existence of life outside Earth. It was 1st celebrated in 2001 by World UFO Day Organisation (WUFODO) founder Haktan Akdogan. On 2 July 1947, a UFO had supposedly crashed in Roswell, New Mexico.
World Sports Journalists Day-2 July:
- World Sports Journalists Day is celebrated on July 2, to mark the services of sports journalists for the promotion of sports. Day is celebrated to mark the formation of International Sports Press Association at the 1924 Paris Olympics.
Union Minister Dr.Jitendra Singh inaugurates 46th APPPA course of IIPA:
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh inaugurated 46th Advanced Professional Programme in Public Administration (APPPA) organized by Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA) located in New Delhi through video conferencing.
Kerala Government announces, ‘Dream Kerala’ Project to help expats who lost jobs due to coronavirus:
- Kerala government decided to roll out a ‘Dream Kerala Project’ to tap the potential and experience of those returning from abroad and other states after losing their jobs due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Government declares entire Nagaland ‘disturbed area’ for 6 more months:
- The Centre declared the entire Nagaland as ‘disturbed area’ for a further period of six months till December-end with effect from 30th of June, 2020 in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958.
- Chief Minister:Neiphiu Rio
- Governor:R N Ravi
World Bank approves $750 million fund to support COVID hit MSMEs in India:
- World Bank announced a $750 million MSME Emergency Response program to support increased flow of finance to MSMEs, severely impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. This will address the immediate liquidity and credit needs of some 1.5 million viable MSMEs.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- President: David Malpass.
Vladimir Putin wins Russia vote that could let him rule until 2036:
- President Vladimir Putin has won a resounding victory in his bid to stay in power until the middle of the next decade- 2036, as Russians voted overwhelmingly to endorse the country’s political status quo, according to preliminary results.
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian Rouble
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister: Mikhail Mishustin
New Zealand cancels 2021 APEC summit, will lead it virtually:
- New Zealand cancelled its plans to host Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum in Auckland on 2021 because of the coronavirus, opting instead to lead a virtual summit. 21 APEC members include US, China, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Indonesia, & Hong Kong.
- Capital: Wellington
- Currency: New Zealand dollar
- Prime Minister: Jacinda Ardern
India and Japan Hold PASSEX Naval Exercise to Promote Understanding in Indian Ocean:
- Indian Navy and Japanese Navy (Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Force) have conducted a day long Naval Exercise PASSEX for tactical and communications training, towards the Malacca Strait in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
Uganda becomes first African country to submit REDD+ results, paves way for payments:
- Uganda has become the first African country to submit results for Reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD+) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- REDD+ is a mechanism developed by the parties to the UNFCCC to reduce emissions from deforestation and forest degradation.
- Capital: Kampala
- Currency: Shilling
- President: Mr Yoweri Museveni
Banking and Economy:
Government launches Special Liquidity Scheme of Rs 30,000 Cr to improve liquidity for NBFCs and HFCs:
- Government launched the Special Liquidity Scheme of Rs 30, 000 Cr to improve the liquidity position for Non-Banking Finance Companies– NBFCs and Housing Finance Companies- HFCs. The scheme was launched through a Special Purpose Vehicle set up by SBICAP (SBI Capital Markets Limited).
Fitch slashes India’s FY22 growth forecast to 8%:
- Fitch Ratings lowered India’s growth forecast for 2021-22 fiscal to 8 percent from 5 percent projected last month. The rating agency, however, retained its projection of Indian economy contracting by 5 percent in the current fiscal.
Science and Technology:
SERB launches ‘Accelerate Vigyan’ Scheme To Strengthen Scientific Research Mechanism:
- Science and Engineering Research Board has launched a new scheme called ‘Accelerate Vigyan’ to provide a single platform for research internships, capacity building programs and workshops across the country.
- AV has already called for applications under its ‘ABHYAAS’ component for the Winter Season. SERB is also planning to launch an app for this in the coming 2 months.
RMRC Dibrugarh becomes the 4th Laboratory in India to isolate COVID-19 Virus Strain:
- Indian Council of Medical Research’s (ICMR) Regional Medical Research Centre (RMRC) in Dibrugarh district of Assam has successfully isolated the SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) virus becoming the fourth such facility in the country to achieve the feat.
IndianOil, NTPC, SDMC sign tripartite MoU to develop waste-to-energy facilities:
- In order to set up a waste to energy plant, South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) has signed a Mou with Indian Oil and NTPC Ltd. The energy plant will be established at Okhla in New Delhi.
- SDMC has joined Indian Oil and NTPC that will work to develop a Waste-to-energy Plant demonstration using Gasification technology at Okhla landfill in Delhi.
Indra Mani Pandey Appointed India’s Permanent Representative To UN In Geneva:
- Diplomat Indra Mani Pandey has been appointed as India’s next Permanent Representative to the United Nations and other international organisations in Geneva.
- Mr Pandey, a 1990-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as an additional secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
Government extends Union Bank of India CEO Rajkiran Rai’s term by another 2 years:
- Government extends the term of Rajkiran Rai G as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Union Bank of India(UBI) by 2 years till May 31, 2022.
- The 3 year term of Rajkiran Rai G as MD & CEO of UBI was to end on June 30, 2020. He took charge of UBI on July 1, 2017.
Ravinder Bhakar appointed as CEO of Central Board of Films Certification:
- Mr Ravinder Bhakar assumes charge as new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Central Board of Films Certification(CBFC). He is a Indian Railway Stores Service(IRSS) officer from 1999 batch. He has taken place of Anurag Srivastava.
Parminder Chopra takes charge as Director of Finance at Power Finance Corporation:
- Government-owned Power Finance Corporation (PFC), India’s leading NBFC, today announced the appointment of Smt Parminder Chopra as Director (Finance) of the company. She succeeds Shri N.B. Gupta, who superannuated on June 30, 2020.
Axis Bank appoints LIC MD Suseel Kumar on board as non-executive member:
- Board of Axis Bank has approved the appointment of C. Suseel Kumar, Managing Director- Life Insurance Corporation of India, Promoter of the Bank, as the Additional Non-Executive (Nominee) Director of the Bank, with effect from 1 July 2020.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- MD & CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry.
- Tagline: “Badhti Ka Naam Zindagi”.
Lakshmi Vilas Bank appoints K Hariharan as Chief Financial Officer:
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank said in the stock exchanges that the Audit Committee of the Board has appointed Hariharan K as Chief Financial Officer (CFO). He has 29 years of experience in Banking and Finance Industry and before joining Lakshmi Vilas Bank has served in various capacities with State Bank of India, IDBI Bank and Karur Vysya Bank.
Oxford topper Baisali Mohanty appointed United Nations Policy Officer:
- Odia girl Baisali Mohanty who brought laurel to the state winning the prestigious High-Profile Achievement Award as best graduate student at Oxford University, England, has been appointed as the Policy Officer at International Civil Service of UN.
Shrikant Madhav Vaidya takes over as Chairman of Indian Oil Corporation:
- Shrikant Madhav Vaidya took over as the chairman of Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOC), nation’s biggest oil firm. He succeeds Sanjiv Singh, who retired on June 30.
Awards and Recognitions:
Pulitzer Winner Siddhartha Mukherjee and Prof. Raj Chetty named among ‘2020 Great Immigrants’ Honorees:
- Siddhartha Mukherjee and Raj Shetty have been named among the ‘2020 Great Immigrants’ honourees by the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
- Siddhartha Mukherjee is a Pulitzer winning author and oncologist and Raj Chetty is a Professor of Economics at Harvard University. They both are known for their valuable contribution to their respective fields.
Ravindra Jadeja rated India’s most valuable Test player in 21st century by Wisden:
- All-rounder Ravindra Jadeja has been named as India’s most valuable Test player in the 21st century by the Wisden magazine.
- With an MVP rating of 3, the 31-year-old Jadeja was also rated as the second-most valuable Test player worldwide, behind Sri Lanka legend Muttiah Muralitharan.
India’s AI enabled MyGov Corona Helpdesk wins two global awards:
- India’s Artificial Intelligence (AI) enabled MyGov Corona Helpdesk has bagged two awards at the Global Leadership Summit and Festival of AI and Emerging Technology, CogX 2020.
- AI enabled MyGov Corona Helpdesk bagged two awards under categories of Best Innovation for Covid-19 – Society and People’s Choice Covid-19 Overall Winner.
Legendary West Indies batsman Sir Everton Weekes dies aged 95:
- Legendary West Indies batsman Sir Everton Weekes has died at the age of 95. He played 48 Tests across a 10-year career, scoring 4455 runs and 15 centuries.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.