Daily Current Affairs: July 20, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (July 20, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Chess Day – 20 July
- International Chess Day is globally celebrated on 20 July every year. This day is celebrated as the founding day of FIDE (World Chess Federation). This year (2021) will mark FIDE’s 97th
- This day was found on 20 July 1924 at the eighth summer Olympic Games in Paris, France.
Assam Government has announced to provide government jobs for all Olympic, Asian, Commonwealth & National Games medalists
- Chief Minister of Assam Himanta Biswa Sarma announced that the medal winners in the Olympics, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games and National Games will get government jobs in Assam.
- He also stated that all those who won medals in National Games so far for Assam would be given sports pension by Assam Government.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: Himanta Biswa Sarma
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- National Parks: Orang National Park, Manas National Park, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Nameri National Park, Raimona National Park and Dihing-Patkai National Park
Jammu & Kashmir High Court was renamed as the High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh
- The Common High Court for the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and Union Territory of Ladakh was officially renamed as the High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh.
- The order was notified by the Department of Justice of the Union Ministry of Law and Justice.
Jammu & Kashmir Government organises a 3-day festival in Gurez Valley to promote tourism
- Jammu and Kashmir Government has organised a 3-day festival in Gurez Valley in the Bandipora district to promote tourism in unknown or lesser-known destinations.
- Gurez Festival aims to highlight the heritage and culture of the area. During the festival, several cultural and traditional programmes will be performed by different clubs of Gurez.
Jammu and Kashmir
- Capital: Srinagar (Summer), Jammu (Winter)
- Lt. Governor: Manoj Sinha
- National Parks: Hemis National Park, City Forest (Salim Ali) National Park, Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar National Park
- Wildlife Sanctuaries: Changthang Cold Desert Wildlife Sanctuary, Gulmarg Wildlife Sanctuary, Jasrota Wildlife Sanctuary, Baltal-Thajwas Wildlife Sanctuary, Karakoram (Nubra Shyok) Wildlife Sanctuary
- Lakes: Mansar Lake, Nagin Lake, Wular Lake, Surinsar Lake, Dal Lake
Maharashtra becomes the first state in India to issue educational documents using blockchain technology
- Maharashtra became the first state in India to issue educational documents using ‘LegitDoc’ blockchain technology.
- LegitDoc is a blockchain startup that helping the Government of Maharashtra to implement the world’s largest blockchain-powered educational credential system by issuing nearly 1 million tamper-proof diploma certificates.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- National Parks: Chandoli National Park, Gugamal National Park, Nawegaon National Park, Pench (Jawaharlal Nehru) National Park, Sanjay Gandhi (Borivilli) National Park
Kambhampati Hari Babu takes oath as the 22nd Governor of Mizoram
- Former Lok Sabha MP from Andhra Pradesh Kambhampati Hari Babu was sworn in as the new Governor of Mizoram. He is the 22nd Governor of Mizoram after it attained statehood in 1987. He replaced PS Sreedharan Pillai, who has been transferred as the Governor of Goa.
- Capital: Aizawl
- Chief Minister: Zoramthanga
- Governor: Hari Babu Kambhampati
Rajasthan develops ‘Raj Kisan Organic’ mobile app for the purchase and sale of organic products
- Rajasthan Agriculture Minister Lalchand Kataria launched ‘Raj Kisan Organic’, a mobile app for the purchase and sale of organic products.
- Individual farmers or farmer groups can register themselves by downloading this app from the Google Play Store and directly sell their products to registered buyers.
- Capital: Jaipur
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra
- National Parks: Desert National Park, Keoladeo Ghana National Park, Mukundra Hills National Park, Ranthambhore National Park, Sariska National Park
Qatar Airways becomes the first airline in the Middle East to join the IATA’s Turbulence Aware platform
- Qatar Airways was the first Middle Eastern airline to participate in the Turbulence Aware initiative when it was launched as a pilot project in December 2018.
- This platform will help the aviation industry meet its carbon targets, alongside other initiatives such as carbon offsetting, sustainable aviation fuels, electric aircraft and general awareness about the impact of flying.
Cleopas Dlamini was appointed as the Prime Minister of Eswatini
- Eswatini’s King Mswati III has appointed Cleopas Dlamini as the new Prime Minister of Eswatini. He succeeded Themba Masuku, who died recently.
Kingdom of Eswatini:
- Capital: Mbabane (executive), Lobamba (legislative)
- Currency: South African Rand & Swazi Lilangeni
- Prime Minister: Cleopas Dlamini
Banking and Economy
SEBI introduces an expected loss-based rating scale for credit rating agencies
- Markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) introduced a new framework that requires credit rating agencies to provide expected loss-based ratings for projects and instruments associated with the infrastructure sector.
- SEBI has introduced the expected loss-based rating that is divided into a scale of seven levels, spanning from the lowest to the highest expected loss.
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
- Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
- Founded: 12 April 1992
ADB revises India’s GDP growth forecast to 10% for FY22
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has revised India’s GDP growth estimate for the current 2021–22 fiscal to 10 per cent from the earlier 11 per cent due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- ADB also projected the GDP growth rate for FY23 (2022–23) to 7.5 per cent from the earlier projection of 7 per cent.
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
- Chief Economist: Yasuyuki Sawada
Acquisitions and Mergers
Microsoft acquires cybersecurity firm RiskIQ for $500 million
- Microsoft has acquired RiskIQ, a San Francisco-based provider of cybersecurity services, including malware and spyware monitoring and mobile app security. Microsoft has acquired for $500 million.
- RiskIQ was founded in 2009 by Elias Manousos, Chris Kiernan and David Pon.
Science and Technology
Russia successfully test-fires ship-based Zircon hypersonic cruise missile
- Russia had successfully test-fired the Zircon hypersonic cruise missile. It was launched from the Russian Navy’s Admiral Gorshkov warship, which locked into a target on the Barents Sea coast in northern Russia.
- The Zircon hypersonic cruise missile successfully hit a target directly at a range of over 350 kilometres (217 miles).
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian Rouble
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister: Mikhail Mishustin
Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi was appointed as the Deputy Leader of the House in the Rajya Sabha
- Union Minister of Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi was appointed as the Deputy Leader of the House in the Rajya Sabha.
- He succeeded Union Minister of Commerce Piyush Goyal, who has now taken over as the Leader of the House in the Rajya Sabha.
A 20-year-old Bharti Garva was elected as the first-ever sarpanch of Balika Panchayat in Gujarat
- The 20-year-old Bharti Garva won by 117 votes to become the first sarpanch of the Balika Panchayat in Kunariya village in Gujarat.
- The Kunariya village held the election to elect Balika Panchayat, a unique body to be governed by girls below the age of 21 to address the issues faced by women and adolescent girls.
- A total of 410 voters, all of them girls aged between 10–21 years, cast their votes to elect a sarpanch.
Awards and Recognitions
Vaidehi Dongre from Michigan was crowned as the 2021 Miss India USA
- The 25-year-old Vaidehi Dongre from Michigan (US) was crowned the 2021 Miss India USA, while Arshi Lalani from Georgia was declared the first runner-up at the beauty pageant. Mira Kasari from North Carolina was declared the second runner-up.
- Vaidehi Dongre also won the ‘Miss Talented’ award for her flawless performance of Indian classical dance Kathak.
Filmmaker and Cartoonist Gautam Benegal passed away at 56
- National Award-winning writer, cartoonist, animation filmmaker Gautam Benegal has passed away at the age of 56. He had received the National Award (Rajatkamal) for Best Animation Film for his 2010 film “The Prince and the Crown of Stone”.
Former Kerala Transport Minister K Sankaranarayana Pillai passed away at 78
- Former Transport Minister Kerala K Sankaranarayana Pillai passed away at the age of 78. He had served as Kerala’s Transport Minister in the EK Nayanar Government from 1987 to 1991.
- He was elected to the Kerala Legislative Assembly from the erstwhile Thiruvananthapuram East constituency in 1982 and 1987.
ICC welcomes Mongolia, Tajikistan and Switzerland as its new members
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has inducted Mongolia, Tajikistan and Switzerland as the new members at its 78th Annual General Meeting.
- Mongolia and Tajikistan are the 22nd and 23rd members of the Asia region. Switzerland joined as Europe’s 35th member, with the ICC now comprising of 106 members (12 full members and 94 associate members).
International Cricket Council (ICC)
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Chairman: Greg Barclay
- Motto: “Cricket for Good”
Daily CA July 20 One-liner:
|1. International Chess Day – 20 July|
|2. Assam Government has announced to provide government jobs for all Olympic, Asian, Commonwealth & National Games medalists|
|3. Jammu & Kashmir High Court was renamed as the High Court of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh|
|4. Jammu & Kashmir Government organises a 3-day festival in Gurez Valley to promote tourism|
|5. Maharashtra becomes the first state in India to issue educational documents using blockchain technology|
|6. Kambhampati Hari Babu takes oath as the 22nd Governor of Mizoram|
|7. Rajasthan develops ‘Raj Kisan Organic’ mobile app for the purchase and sale of organic products|
|8. Qatar Airways becomes the first airline in the Middle East to join the IATA’s Turbulence Aware platform|
|9. Cleopas Dlamini was appointed as the Prime Minister of Eswatini|
|10. SEBI introduces an expected loss-based rating scale for credit rating agencies|
|11. ADB revises India’s GDP growth forecast to 10% for FY22|
|12. Microsoft acquires cybersecurity firm RiskIQ for $500 million|
|13. Russia successfully test-fires ship-based Zircon hypersonic cruise missile|
|14. Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi was appointed as the Deputy Leader of the House in the Rajya Sabha|
|15. A 20-year-old Bharti Garva was elected as the first-ever sarpanch of Balika Panchayat in Gujarat|
|16. Vaidehi Dongre from Michigan was crowned as the 2021 Miss India USA|
|17. Filmmaker and Cartoonist Gautam Benegal passed away at 56|
|18. Former Kerala Transport Minister K Sankaranarayana Pillai passed away at 78|
|19. ICC welcomes Mongolia, Tajikistan and Switzerland as its new members|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of July 20, 2021, now from the link given below.