DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jun 21 & 22, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jun 21 & 22 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Reading Day- June 19:
- National Reading Day is observed on June 19. The celebration is marked in the honour of the father of the Library Movement, the late P N Panicker. Puthuvayil Narayana Panicker is famously known as the Father of the Library Movement in the state of Kerala.
World Hydrography Day- June 21:
- International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) and its international members celebrate World Hydrography Day every year on June 21.
- Day theme for 2020 is “Hydrography – enabling autonomous technologies”
International Yoga Day- June 21:
- The International Yoga day is observed on June 21 every year since 2015. June 21 also marks the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. The proposal was first introduced by PM Modi during the opening of the 69th session of the General Assembly.
- The theme for 2020 is “Yoga for Health – Yoga at Home”
International Day of the Celebration of the Solstice: 21 June
- International Day of the Celebration of the Solstice observed on June 21. The sun will be at its highest position in the sky & the shadows cast will disappear at noon in Ujjain and other places located along the Tropic of Cancer in India.
International Father’s Day- June 21:
- Worlds Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June Every year to acknowledge the many roles a father plays in his child’s life. This year, it will be celebrated on June 21.
World Music Day- 21:
- World Music Day is celebrated every year on June 21 in over 120 countries including its country of origin France where it is known as ‘Fête de la Musique’ meaning “festival of music” to honour both amateur and professional musicians.
World Rainforest Day-22 June:
- World Rainforest Day is observed 0n June 22 Every year. The first-ever World Rainforest Day was observed on June 22, 2017. It was established by a collaboration of groups, called the Rainforest Partnership. The organisation is based in Austin, Texas.
Niti Aayog Forms Panel Led by Amitabh Kant to Develop Job Platform For Migrant Labours:
- NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog, a policy think tank of the Government of India has formed a high-powered committee of top executives of technology companies like Google, Microsoft and Tech Mahindra under the leadership of its CEO (Chief Executive Officer) Amitabh Kant to develop a job platform that will help migrant labours & blue-collar workers.
NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog:
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi.
- Vice Chairperson: Rajiv Kumar.
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Amitabh Kant.
Jharkhand to launch urban version of NREGS to curb unemployment:
- Jharkhand is set to launch a 100-day employment scheme for urban unskilled workers similar to the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) amid the coronavirus pandemic and increasing unemployment.
- The scheme will be known as Mukhyamantri SHRAMIK (Shahri Rozgar Manjuri For Kamgar) Yojna, which is aimed at enhancing livelihood security for urban poor.
- Capital: Ranchi
- Chief Minister: Hemant Soren
- Governor: Draupadi Murmu
Tripura Ektu Khelo Ektu Padho Scheme – Activity Based Learning Project:
- Tripura government has decided to start a scheme called ‘Ektu Khelo, Ektu Padho’ which means ‘Play little, Study little’, from June 25.
- Capital: Agartala
- Chief Minister: Biplab Kumar Deb
- Governor: Ramesh Bais.
- National Green Tribunal has imposed an interim penalty of Rs 10 lakh on the Karnataka government over pollution in the Kithiganahalli Lake, near Bommasandra in Bengaluru, saying criminal offence is being committed by the authorities in not stopping the discharge of pollutants into the water bodies.
- A bench headed by National Green Tribunal (NGT) Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel also slapped a fine of Rs 5 lakh on the municipal council of Bommasandra for failure to discharge its duties.
World Bank approves dollar 1.05 billion to Bangladesh for jobs and economic recovery:
- World Bank has approved dollar 05 billion for three projects in Bangladesh to create quality jobs and accelerate economic recovery in the wake of the Corona pandemic. The first project worth a dollar 500 million called Private Investment and Digital Entrepreneurship (PRIDE).
France commits 200 Million Euros to Support India’s COVID Response:
- France and India signed an agreement with Paris committing 200 million euros to support Delhi’s Covid It was signed by Dr C.S. Mohapatra, Additional Secretary – DEA, and Bruno Bosle, Director – AFD (French Development Agency) in India.
- Capital: Paris
- Currency: Euro
- President: Emmanuel Macron
- Prime Minister –Edouard Philippe
One billion children experience violence every year as countries fail to protect them: UN report
- Half of the world’s children one billion every year are affected by physical, sexual or psychological violence, suffering injuries and death because countries have failed to follow established strategies to protect them, the first report of its kind from the United Nations has said, with experts noting that the corona virus-related lockdowns have left far too many youngsters stuck with their abusers.
- The report was launched by the World Health Organization, the UNICEF, the UNESCO, the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General on Violence against Children and the End Violence Partnership charted progress in 155 countries against the “INSPIRE” framework, a set of seven strategies for preventing and responding to violence against children.
Banking and Economy:
Exim Bank provides USD 20 mn credit line to Nicaragua for rebuilding hospital:
- Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) will provide a line of credit of USD 20.10 million (about Rs 153.27 crore) for reconstruction of hospital building in Nicaragua. Exim Bank has extended 4 (four) Lines of Credit to Nicaragua, on behalf of the Indian government.
Yes Bank partners Affordplan to launch co-branded cashless healthcare card:
- Yes Bank has partnered with fintech startup Afford plan to launch a co-branded health card to address healthcare needs. The co-branded healthcare card will enable families plan and manage their finances for their healthcare needs.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Atal Innovation Mission partners with Coal India Ltd to boost its Innovation & Entrepreneurship initiatives:
- Coal India Limited (CIL) has agreed to partner with Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog to support proactively the flagship mission’s innovation and entrepreneurship initiatives across the country.
- A Statement of Intent (SoI) of a strategic partnership between AIM and Coal India Limited was signed and exchanged in a virtual e-summit.
Hyundai Motor India ties up with HDFC Bank for vehicle finance:
- Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL) has partnered with HDFC Bank to offer customized financing solutions for those buying cars through its online automotive retail platform ‘Click to Buy’.
IIT Delhi and UN World Food Programme to Increase Efficiency of Government’s Food Security Net:
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi) has collaborated with the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), India, to develop solutions for increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of food security programmes of Government of India.
- The aim of this tie-up is to create “Sustainable Models” that can be used across the country and beyond.
Science and Technology:
Glenmark launches COVID-19 drug FabiFlu at Rs. 103 per tablet:
- Drug firm Glenmark Pharmaceuticals launched antiviral drug Favipiravir, under the brand name “FabiFlu” for treatment of patients with mild to moderate Covid-19 at a price of about Rs 103/tablet. It is the first oral favipiravir-approved medication in India.
Amazon to host Small Business Day on June 27 to help SME sellers:
- Major E-commerce Amazon will host the third edition of its sale event Small Business Day (SBD) 2020 on June 27 to help small businesses, artisans, weavers, micro-entrepreneurs and start-ups rebound from economic disruption created by the Covid-19 pandemic.
National champion Niki Poonacha elected to International Tennis Federation panel:
- National champion Niki Poonacha has been elected to the International Tennis Federation (ITF) men’s player panel and will represent the Asia-Oceania zone along with Ti Chen of Chinese Taipei.
- The ITF also has a women’s player panel with Akgul Amanmuradova of Uzbekistan.
- The men’s and women’s panels will be headed by Mark Woodforde and Mary Pierce, respectively.
International Tennis Federation (ITF):
- Headquarters: London, UK.
Jaideep Nandi appointed as new MD of Bajaj Consumer Care:
- Bajaj Consumer Care Limited has appointed Jaideep Nandi as its new Managing Director. Nandi is currently the company’s Chief Executive Officer and will take over as the managing director effective 1 July. He will succeed Sumit Malhotra.
BMW India appoints Vikram Pawah as new president Succeed Rudratej Singh:
- German luxury car maker BMW appoints Vikram Pawah as the president of BMW Group India effective August 1, 2020, in addition to his current role as chief executive officer of BMW Group Australia and New Zealand. Vikram Pawah succeeds Rudratej Singh after his sudden death.
Vijay Khanduja appointed India’s next envoy to Zimbabwe:
- Vijay Khanduja, presently Director in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), has been appointed as India’s next Ambassador to Zimbabwe.
Awards and Recognitions:
Mukesh Ambani enters World Top-10 richest list, as net worth jumps to $64.6 bn:
- Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani vaulted into the list of the world’s top 10 richest, according to the Forbes Real-Time Billionaire list, with his net worth rising $5.3 billion to $64.6 billion (or Rs 4.9 lakh crore). RIL has become 1st Indian company to be valued at $150 billion.
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos tops the list with a net worth of $158.9 billion, Bill Gates is next with $109.4 billion and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is fourth at $86.9 billion.
India becomes 12th largest holder of US govt securities:
- India has become the 12th largest holder of US government securities at the end of April, with holding worth 4 billion dollars. The data from the US Treasury Department showed that after significantly reducing the exposure in March to 156.5 billion dollars, India marginally hiked the holding by 0.9 billion dollars to 157.4 billion dollars the next month.
Veteran South Singer-Actor AL Raghavan Passes Away at 80 in Chennai:
- Noted playback singer L. Raghavan passed away. Born in Thanjavur to Lakshmana Bhagavathar, Raghavan entered the film world as a child artiste in the film Krishna Vijayam. His song ‘Engirunthalum Vaazhga’ has found a lasting place in many hearts.
Padma Shri awardee Vidyaben Shah passes away at 97:
- Padma Shri awardee and a social worker Vidyaben Shah passed away recently. She was a pioneer in the field of child welfare as she created the the first Bal Bhavan in Rajkot in the 1940s.
- She also set up the Mahatma Gandhi Sanskritik Kendra in the 1970s to facilitate the cultural exchange among city residents.
Iraqi football legend Ahmad Radhi passes away after battling COVID-19:
- Iraqi football legend Ahmed Radhi has passed away after diagnosed with COVID-19. Radhi, a striker, led Iraq to victory in the Gulf Cups of 1984 and 1988, when he was voted Asian footballer of the year.
Legendary Indian left-arm spinner Rajinder Goel passes away at 77:
- India’s finest left-arm spinners, Rajinder Goel passed away aged 77 after battling long-term illness. In 2017, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) honoured Rajinder Goel with the CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award.
Former international kabaddi player Ilaiah passes away at 65:
- M Ilaiah Yadav, a former international kabaddi player and captain of the state team, breathed his last after battling it hard. Ilaiah, who was undergoing treatment at the Yashoda Hospital in Malakpet for lung infection, was 65 years old.
India Attend 32nd Virtual EAG Plenary Meeting 2020 Chaired by EAG Chairman Mr. Yury Chikhanchin:
- Indian officials, including representatives from enforcement agencies, have participated in the 32nd special Eurasian Group on Combating Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism (EAG) plenary meeting 2020, under the aegis of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF).
- Headquarters: Paris, France.
- President: Xiangmin Liu.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.