DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jun 23, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jun 23 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
United Nations Public Service Day-June23:
- UN General Assembly designated 23 June as Public Service Day on 2002. Day celebrates the value and virtue of public service to the community, highlights the contribution of public service in the development process & recognizes the work of public servants.
International Olympic Day-June23:
- International Olympic Day is a celebration of sports and health. The day is celebrated every year on June 23 and is an invitation for everyone around the world to be active. The day was introduced in 1948 to commemorate the birth of the modern Olympic Games on 23 June 1894 at the Sorbonne in Paris.
International Widow’s Day-June23:
- United Nations observes 23 June as International Widows Day since 2011. International Widows Day is a United Nations ratified day of action to address the “poverty and injustice faced by millions of widows and their dependents in many countries”.
- This year the theme is: “I am Generation Equality: Realizing Women’s Rights”
Rajnath Singh 3-day visit to Russia for attending 75th victory day parade:
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh left for a three-day visit to Russia during which he will hold talks with top Russian military brass and attend a grand military parade in Moscow to mark the 75th anniversary of the Soviet victory over Germany in the Second World War.
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian Rouble
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister: Mikhail Mishustin
Union Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurates Virtual India Pavilion at Cannes Film Market 2020:
- Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Shri Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the Virtual India Pavilion at Cannes Film Market 2020. The Festival will be held from 22 – 26 June 2020.
- The pavilion showcases Indian cinema across linguistic, cultural and regional spheres and aims at forging an increasing number of international partnership in distribution, production, filming in India, script development and technology and promoting film salesand syndication.
PM Modi released Rs 50,000 crore for boostong employment and livelihood for migrant workers:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced 20 Lakh crore amount for Aatma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
- Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan (GKRA), that will cover 67 lakh migrant workers to get them employment, was begun in 6 states such as Bihar, Uttar Pradesh (UP), Madhya Pradesh (MP), Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Odisha.
Indian Government sanctions 190 crore amount for augmentation of healthcare facilities in North Eastern States:
- The Union Minister of State (MoS) of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Shri Jitendra Singh ji has approved 190 crore amount to augment of healthcare facilities in the eight North Eastern (NE) States they are : Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Sikkim, Mizoram, Nagaland, and Tripura.
Banking and Economy:
Karnataka Bank launches new loan product ‘KBL Micro Mitra’ for small firms:
- Private sector lender Karnataka Bank launched “KBL Micro Mitra” to offer financial assistance of up to Rs 10 lakh to micro manufacturing & service enterprises either to meet their working capital needs for investment purposes.
- Headquarters: Mangalore
- CEO: Mahabaleshwara M. S
- Tagline: “Your Family Bank Across India”.
UCO Bank teams up with 4 insurers to sell their products:
- State-run UCO Bank tied up with four insurers to offer various insurance products to its customers through its network of branches across the country.
- The lender teamed up with SBI Life Insurance Company, the Oriental Insurance Company and Religare Health Insurance Company, Star Health and Allied Insurance Company for selling their products.
- Headquarters: Kolkata
- MD & CEO: Atul Kumar
- Tagline: “Honours your Trust”
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Biocon ties up with DKSH to distribute 7 products in Singapore and Thailand:
- Bio-technology major Biocon has signed an agreement with market expansion services provider DKSH for distribution of seven generic products in Singapore and Thailand.
L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering signs MoU with KBR for Refinery and Petrochemical Projects:
- L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering (LTHE), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Larsen & Toubro (L&T), has signed a memorandum of understanding with KBR to build Modular Process Plants for refinery and petrochemical projects.
Science and Technology:
ISRO Receives Patent for Liquid Cooling and Heating Garment for Astronauts:
- ISRO has received a patent for its Liquid Cooling and Heating Garment made of biocompatible fabrics and components to provide a comfortable temperature and removal of sweat for astronauts, for use in space for protection from hot and cold environments.
RBI re-nominates Natarajan Chandrasekaran as Director of its Central board:
- “The Central Government has re-nominated Natarajan Chandrasekaran as a part-time non-official Director on the Central Board of Reserve Bank of India, for a further period of two years beyond March 3, 2020, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.”
Colin Shah takes over as Chairman and Vipul Shah elected as the Vice Chairman of GJEPC:
- The Gem and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC), apex body for gems and jewellery trade in India, under the aegis of Ministry of Commerce announced the appointment of Colin Shah as the Chairman of GJEPC.
- Colin Shah will take charge as Chairman from the outgoing Chairman Pramod Kumar Agrawal. Also, Vipul Shah has been elected and appointed as the Vice Chairman of GJEPC.
Indian-American Scientist Sethuraman Panchanathan To Head National Science Foundation:
- The US Senate has confirmed the appointment of Indian-American scientist Sethuraman Panchanathan as the Director of the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Dr Panchanathan, also known as “Panch” among family and friends, is set to head the top American science funding body supporting fundamental research in non-medical fields of Science and Engineering.
Rishi Sunak appoints Indian-origin CEO Nikhil Rathi as UK financial Regulatory:
- UK Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak appointed Indian-origin chief of the London Stock Exchange Nikhil Rathi as the new chief executive of the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). He will succeed FCA’s interim CEO Christopher Woolard.
T. Rabi Sankar appointed as Chairman & Dr N Rajendran as CEO of IFTAS:
- Indian Financial Technology & Allied Services (IFTAS) a wholly owned subsidiary of Reserve Bank of India announces the appointments of Shri. T Rabi Sankar as the Chairman and Dr N Rajendran as the CEO of the organization effective May 15 & May 27 respectively.
Standard Chartered appoints Gaurav Maheshwari as CFO-India:
- Standard Chartered Bank, India has appointed Gaurav Maheshwari as its new Chief Financial Officer (CFO) effective June 22, 2020. Maheshwari has taken over from Subhradeep Mohanty, who was promoted as the CFO for the Africa & Middle East (AME)
Awards and Recognitions:
Golden Globes 2021 Postponed Due To COVID Pandemic; Oscars, BAFTA Also Rescheduled:
- The Golden Globe Awards ceremony for film & television has been postponed to February 2021. The Golden Globes ceremony, which kicks off Hollywood’s awards season, will now take place on 28th February instead of its usual slot on the 1st Sunday in January. Oscars Awards also rescheduled on April 25, 2021.
Books and Author:
Author Amish Tripathi launches new book ‘Legend of Suheldev’:
- Amish Tripathi launched his new book – a story about the adventures of the warrior king Suheldev, titled, ‘Legend of Suheldev: The King who Saved India’. Book is set in 11th century India, when Mahmud of Ghazni destroyed the Somnath temple.
Veteran Kerala singer and actor Pappukutty Bhagavathar dies at 107:
- Veteran Kerala theatre artist, actor and singer Pappukutty Bhagavathar passed away in Kochi at the age of 107. The veteran artist had acted in over 25 Malayalam movies. He is popularly known among peers as the ‘Kerala Saigal’.
WWE announces The Undertaker’s retirement:
- Veteran wrestler The Undertaker allegedly has announced his retirement from the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and this time it seems legit. The Undertaker’s Real Name is Mark “William” Calaway.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.