DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : June 10&11, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (June 10&11, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Union Minister Piyush Goyal leads Indian delegation to G20 Ministerial meeting in Japan
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal participated as Indian delegation for the two-day G20 Ministerial meeting on Trade and Digital Economy at Tsukuba city in Japan.
- The discussions will take place in the developments of the global trade situation, WTO matters, and digital trade. He will hold dialogue with other participating Trade Ministers on current international trade and investments.
- The G-20 Trade Ministers deliberations form part of the G-20 Summit Leaders agenda in the formal discussions and will a part of the Summit Declaration
About G 20 Summit
Chairperson: Shinzō Abe
Founder: Group of Seven
Founded: 26 September 1999
India partners with Portugal to set up a national maritime heritage museum at Lothal
- India has partnered with Portugal to set up a national maritime heritage museum at Lothal in Gujarat.
- The Indian Navy will be the stakeholder in the project and the Portuguese Navywill assist as they have experience in it by administering the maritime museum in Lisbon, Portugal.
- India is to follow a similar model of the maritime museum.
Implementation of the project:
- In March 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the project and the Government of India has allocated a grant for building the maritime museum.
- The project will be implemented by the Ministry of Shipping through its Sagarmala programme. The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) along with the State government and other stakeholders is also involved in setting up the museum.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to lead the event of #YogaDay2019 at Ranchi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi led the International Day of Yoga 2019 celebrations to be held in Ranchi on June 21. Around 30,000 people are expected to participate in the main event.
- This function will attend to by several State Dignitaries, besides the Yoga Organisations and Yoga Gurus.Ministry of AYUSH planned every year observation of the International Day of Yoga across the country.
- The ministry successfully organized several programs during the last four years in connection with the International Day of Yoga.
- Nearly two-minute long video shows a 3D-animated version of the prime minister performing the Ardha Chakrasana or the Half Moon Pose in a spacious room as a voiceover guides viewers through a step-by-step procedure of the yoga.
About International Yoga Day
- May 21 is referred to as Yoga Day and celebrated since its inception in 2015. International day for yoga was declared by United Nations General Assembly.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his UN address suggested a date of 21 June as it is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and shares a special significance in many parts of the world.
Union Cabinet has approved the Brucellosis control program to improve the health of animals
- Union Cabinet has approved the Brucellosis control program, a new scheme, to control Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) and Brucellosis to support the livestock rearing farmers and improve the health of animals.
- This initiative aims to fully control these diseases amongst livestock in the country in the next five years and subsequently eradicate these diseases.
- Cabinet has approved a total outlay of Rs.13,343 crores for the scheme and entire cost will be now borne by Central Government. Earlier the cost was shared by both Central and State Governments.
- It is very common amongst the livestock, cow-bulls, buffaloes, sheep, goats, pigs, etc.
Sri Lankan Airlines named world’s most punctual air service for second consecutive time
- SriLankan Airlines named as the ‘World’s Most Punctual Airline‘ for the second consecutive time with over 90 percent of its flights in May. This status was achieved for the second time in less than 12 months.
- They achieved a punctuality rating of 91.37 percent reports Xinhua news agency. In a may month they achieved a punctuality rating of 90.75 percent.
- Flightstats analyzed 41 carriers data from Europe, North America, Asia, the Middle East, and South America and includes most of the world’s most prestigious airlines.
- The punctuality rating of 90.75% by SriLankan Airlines in May 2019 facing challenges caused by heightened security at airline’s hub at Bandaranaike International Airport (in Sri Lankan capital Colombo).
About SriLankan Airlines
- CEO: Vipula Gunatilleka
- Alliance: Oneworld
- Hub: Bandaranaike International Airport
African Union suspended Sudan demanding civilian rule to be established in the country
- The African Union’s Peace and Security Council has suspended Sudan as there is no civilian rule established in the country. The decision was taken at AU’s peace and Security Council meeting in Ethiopia’s capital Addis Ababa.
- This move by AU intensifies global pressure on Sudan’s new military leaders to stand down after witnessing worst violence since Bashir’s fall.
- AU said Sudan will be suspended until power was transferred to a civilian-led authority in the country. It also demanded to resolve an entrenched and bloody crisis.
- AU founded on: 26 May 2001
- Launched on: 9 July 2002
- Chairman: Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
Romila Thapar elected as a member of American Philosophical Society
- Famous Writer Romila Thapar elected as an international member of American Philosophical Society (APS) at its Annual Spring Meeting.
- She is Emerita professor whose principal area of study is ancient India.
- She wrote several books including the popular volume, A History of India, and is currently Professor Emerita at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in New Delhi.
- She was offered Padma Bhushan award but declined both times.
Her famous Works: Aśoka, epigraphy of Mauryan period, and ground-breaking studies and multiple historiographies surrounding contested Hindu and Muslim history of Somnath.
About American Philosophical Society (APS)
- Founder: Benjamin Franklin
- Founded: 1743
- Headquarters: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
BANKING & FINANCE
Reserve Bank of India imposed 2 crore penalty on Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposed a penalty of ₹2 crore on Kotak Mahindra Bank for not furnishing information about the dilution of promoter shareholding.
- The penalty imposed in exercise of powers vested in it under the provisions of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949. It is mainly based on the deficiencies in regulatory compliance
About Reserve Bank of India
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Established: 1 April 1935
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
AGREEMENTS & MOU
India signs six key agreements with the Maldives
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the Maldives on 8 June. PM’s visit to the Maldives reflects the importance India attaches to its Neighbourhood First policy.
- During his visit, PM Narendra Modi and the President of Maldives Ibrahim Mohamed Solih signed six key agreements and substantive bilateral level talks.
- MoU includes maritime and defence ties which are a top priority and the radar system are expected to boost maritime security.
- The leaders jointly inaugurated a coastal surveillance radar system and a composite training centre for the Maldives defence forces.
- Launch of RuPay Card in the Maldives was welcomed by PM Modi as it will give a boost to tourism in the island nation.
SEBI signed MoU with MCA to facilitate the sharing of data and information for regulatory purposes
- SEBI signed MoU with MCA to facilitate the sharing of data and information for regulatory purposes
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA).
- The MoU will ensure that both the MCA and the SEBI have seamless linkage for regulatory purposes and in addition to regular exchange of data.
- It also aims to facilitate the continous sharing of data and information for carrying out scrutiny, inspection, investigation, and prosecution.
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
- Formed: April 12, 1988
- Acquired Statutory Status on: January 30, 1992
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
- Executive Director: Anand Rajeshwar Baiwar
- SEBI is the regulator for the securities market in India
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Jammu and Kashmir government appointed RK Chibber as interim chief of J&K Bank
- Jammu and Kashmir government removed Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Bank Chairman Parvez Ahmad.
- They decided to take long term measures to improve the functioning of the bank so that it becomes an example of a well-managed government-owned bank.
- They appointed R K Chibber as interim chairman of the lender. Ahmad was appointed in 2016 as the chairman of the bank.
About J and K Bank
Owner: Government of Jammu and Kashmir (59%)
Interim Chairman: RK Chibber
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Maldives to confer its highest award Nishan Izzuddin on Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Shri Narendra Modi is conferred with Maldives highest award ‘Nishan Izzuddin’
- The main aim of the visit is to further cement ties with the Indian Ocean archipelago. Earlier, Prime Minister Modi and President Solih held delegation-level talks as the two countries signed a slew of agreements to strengthen bilateral ties in a number of key areas including defence.
- His last was in November 2018 to attend President Solih’s swearing-in, this visit is the first by an Indian prime minister at a bilateral level in eight years.
- Capital: Malé
- Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
- Continent: Asia
- President: Ibrahim Mohamed Solih Trending
Ministry for Information and Broadcasting instituted Antarashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman (AYDMS)
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) has instituted its first Antarashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman (AYDMS). It was announced by the Minister Prakash Javadekar.
- The aim of the award is to acknowledge the positive role & responsibility of media in disseminating the outreach of Yoga in India and abroad.
- The award will be conferred to Media Houses engaged in Print Media, Electronic and (Television & Radio).
- The award comprises of a special medal/plaque/trophy and a citation.
- Six juries will assess the contribution of Media in the popularising of Yoga. The duration of the coverage for AYDMS would be from 10th June to 25th June 2019.
- Announcement of the honors will be announced and Antarashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman (AYDMS) ceremony in July 2019.
Japan defeat Mexico and won FIH Hockey Series
- International Hockey Federation (IHF) conducted Men’s Hockey Series. The Final match is played at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar. Japan defeated Mexico by a goal 3 – 1.
About International Hockey Federation (FIH)
- Founded: 7 January 1924
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
- Membership: 137 national associations
- Motto: FairPlay Friendship Forever
- President: Narinder Batra
- CEO: Thierry Weil
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese yen
- Prime minister: Shinzō Abe Trending
India’s First Dinosaur Museum Park inaugurated in Gujarat
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani inaugurated India’s first Dinosaur-Museum-cum-Park in the Mahisagar district. It is set to give visitors a Jurassic Park kind of feel.
- The museum is located in Raiyoli area in Balasinor exhibit remains of various dinosaurs and fossil records. Dinosaur Museum cum Park is the first park in the country and the world’s third park.
- Raiyoli area is the third largest dinosaur fossil site in the world and it is also the second largest dinosaur hatchery in the world, where thousands of eggs had been found.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Governor: Om Prakash Kohli
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
CPWD to install ‘solar trees’ in residential complexes of central govt employees
- The Central Public Works Department (CPWD) has directed its officials to explore the possibility of installing “solar trees” in residential complexes of government employees.
- The move intends to promote renewable energy and reduce carbon footprint by the CPWD, the prime construction agency of the central government. The concept of “solar trees” was first implemented at the National Salt Satyagraha Memorial built by the CPWD at Dandi in Gujarat
ASI declares Chaukhandi Stupa as of national important monument
- Chaukhandi Stupa, an ancient Buddhist site located in Sarnath, Uttar Pradesh, has been declared as a Monument and protected area of national importance by Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
- Chaukhandi Stupa is a lofty mound of brick whose square edifice is surrounded by an octagonal tower. It was built to mark the place where Lord Buddha met his first disciples as he traveled from Bodhgaya to Sarnath.
The G20 Summit ended with the report of joint statement on trade and the digital economy
- In the G20 Summit, the Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors from the Group of 20 economies issued a joint statement on trade and the digital economy. The meeting was held inTsukuba, Japan on 8 and 9 June 2019.
- The G20 Summit was focused on the ways to promote trade and cooperation among the G20 countries in order to harness the potential of the digital economy.
Mount Sinabung volcano erupted in Sumatra Island
- Mount Sinabung volcano erupted in Sumatra Island of western Indonesia. A huge column of ash was blasted and spread 7 km high to southeast and south of crater.
- Mount Sinabung blew for nine minutes. It caused panic among the island’s residents. The volcanic activity was accompanied by multiple earthquakes felt in nearby villages.
- No casualties have been reported due to the eruption. Indonesia has nearly 130 active volcanoes, more than any other country.
UAE Cabinet adopts “National Strategy for Wellbeing 2031”
- The UAE Cabinet adopted the National Strategy for Wellbeing 2031 during its meeting at the Presidential Palace in Abu Dhabi. One of the most important initiatives is the development of the first ‘National Wellbeing Observatory’ to support the policymaking process.
- It also aims to promote an integrated concept of wellbeing, thus supporting the vision of the UAE Vision 2021 and the UAE Centennial 2071. The Strategy is based on a national framework of three main levels – individuals, society and the country.
RANKING & INDEX
Singapore topped the IMD World Competitiveness Ranking 2019
- Swiss-based International Institute for Management Development (IMD) World Competitiveness Ranking 2019 said Singapore has dethroned the US to become the most competitive economy in the world.
- Hong Kong stands second spot in the list. USA stands third followed by Switzerland and UAE and fourth and fifth respectively. Qatar entered the top 10. India ranked 43, one position higher compared to 2018.
BANKING & FINANCE
State Bank of India introduces Repo Rate-Linked Home Loan
- State Bank of India introduced repo rate-linked home loans.
- SBI, the country’s largest bank by assets home loans linked to the repo rate from July 1, 2019.
There are 10 key new facts, repo rate-linked SBI home loan, Some of them are mentioned here:
- Key interest rate reduced to 5.75. Repo rate-linked home loan will make changes in the key interest rate by the central bank would be passed on directly to the customers.
- State Bank of India benefit from the latest reduction in the repo rate has been passed fully to cash credit account and overdraft customers with limits of over Rs. 1 lakh.
- After the move, the effective repo-linked lending rate (RLLR) for a cash credit and overdraft customers will be 8 percent. These changes will also take effect on July 1.
- The Reserve Bank of India’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC)lowered the repo rate by 25 basis points and switched to an “accommodative” stance from “neutral”.
Union Cabinet has approved the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Siddhi Scheme
- Union Cabinet has approved the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Siddhi Scheme. It will cost over Rs.87,000 crore a year to the exchequer.
- The government has announced its decision to extend the benefit of Rs.6,000 per year under the PM-KISAN scheme to all 14.5 crore farmers in the country, irrespective of the size of their landholding.
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Siddhi:
- The scheme was launched on 24th February 2019 in the run-up to the 2019 Parliamentary elections in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh where the first rounds of installments were paid to several farmers.
- The government so far distributed the first installment to 3.11 crore beneficiaries and second installment to 2.66 crore beneficiaries into their bank accounts through Direct Benefit Transfer mode.
AGREEMENTS & MOU
NCGG and Maldives Civil Services Commission sign MOU
- National Center for Good Governance (NCGG) signed an MOU with Maldives Civil Services Commission building of 1000 Maldives civil servants for the next 5 years.
About the Agreement
- The agreement signed during the visit of the Prime Minister of India.It is the nodal institution for designing customized training modules and its implementation taking into account the requirements of the Civil Service Commission, Maldives.
- The program includes public administration, e-governance, service, public policy governance, information technology, best practices in fisheries across coastal areas, agro-based practices, self-help group initiatives, urban development and planning, ethics in administration and challenges in the implementation of SDGs.
- Maldives nominates suitable civil servants in the senior/ executive/ middle management levels as per agreed timelines. Maldives planning to develop training programs and materials, assist in organizing the exchange of experts as needed by the Civil Services Commission.
South Korea, UK agree to sign free trade deal ahead of Brexit
- South Korea and Britain have agreed in principle to sign a separate free trade deal ahead of Britain’s exit from the European Union in late October. The deal includes keeping zero-tariffs on South Korean exports such as auto parts and automobiles.
- As of 2018, South Korean exports to Britain amounted to about $6.4 billion in 2018, making up 1.05% of the country’s total exports.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Mahindra Group Won Gold Award in South Africa
- Mahindra Company has 60 dealers in South Africa secured top position out of which 29 vehicle brands surveyed for the awards.
- They received the award from the country’s National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) and resided at Africa for 16 years and they tested dealers satisfaction with the way a brand supports and communicated with them.
- This Award is a welcome recognition of the team’s hard work in every aspect of dealer support knowing that happy dealer ultimately leads to a happy customer.
About Mahindra Group
- It is established in 1945 as Mohammad & Mahindra and later renamed as Mahindra and Mahindra.
- Parent organization: Mahindra Group
- CEO: Anand Mahindra
- Subsidiaries: SsangYong Motor, Club Mahindra Holidays
Lewis Hamilton Won Canadian Grand Prix 2019
- Lewis Hamilton won Canadian Grand Prix , the world of Formula One championship title 2019.
- Lewis Hamilton, Robert Kubica and Daniel Ricciardo players who played various matches in championship and considered as star players. Hamilton won 78th career win in Formula One .
- He also fifth out of the seven races contested this season. He secured seventh win at the 2019 Canadian Grand Prix and defeated Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
Rafael Nadal clinched the 12th French Open title by defeating Dominic Thiem
- World number two Rafael Nadal clinched the 12th French Open title in 15 years in men’s single category held in Roland Garros Stadium, France.
- He defeated world number four Dominic Thiem in the men’s singles. The Spaniard won the match with a scoreline of 6-3, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1.
- The 33-year-old has now won 18 Grand Slam titles, two fewer than world number three Roger Federer.
The champions of the 2019 French Open
- Men’s Singles: Spain Rafael Nadal
- Women’s Singles: Australia Ashleigh Barty
- Men’s Doubles: Germany Kevin Krawietz / Germany Andreas Mies
- Women’s Doubles: Hungary Tímea Babos / France Kristina Mladenovic
- Mixed Doubles: Chinese Taipei Latisha Chan / Croatia Ivan Dodig
Veteran Playwright, Actor and Filmmaker, Girish Karnad Passes Away
- Famous actor, filmmaker and playwright Girish Karnad passed away. He was 81. He was a recipient of the 1998 Jnanpith Award, the highest literary honour conferred in India.
- He was also conferred the Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan, and had won several accolades for direction in Kannada cinema.
Stage Actor, Comedy legend Crazy Mohan passed away
- Tamil writer, comedian and actor, Crazy Mohan, who was also a Kalaimamani awardee, was known for his witty one-liners passed away in Chennai.
- Crazy Mohan’s first film was K Balachander’s Poikkal Kudhirai for which he wrote the dialogues.
Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL