Daily Current Affairs: June 13 & 14, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (June 13 & 14, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Albinism Awareness Day – 13 June
- International Albinism Awareness Day is observed globally on 13 June to raise awareness among people about albinism and the human rights of people with albinism. Albinism is a disease in which a person has partial or complete loss of pigmentation (coloring) of the skin, eyes and hair.
- 2021 Theme: “Strength Beyond All Odds”
World Blood Donor Day – 14 June
- World Blood Donor Day is celebrated on 14 June every year. This day is celebrated to raise global awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products for transfusion. Italy will host the World Blood Donor Day 2021.
- The World Blood Donor Day was first organised in 2005 by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- 2021 Slogan: “Give blood and keep the world beating”
India signs an MoU with Kuwait for cooperation on recruitment of domestic workers
- India and Kuwait have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that brings Indian domestic workers in the Gulf nation within the ambit of a legal framework that streamlines their recruitment and provides them with the protection of the law.
- The MoU was signed by Indian Ambassador Sibi George and Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of Kuwait Majdi Ahmad Al-Dhafiri in the presence of visiting Union External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and his Kuwaiti counterpart Sheikh Ahmad Nasser Al-Mohammad Al-Sabah.
- Capital: Kuwait City
- Currency: Dinar
- Prime Minister: Sabah Al-Khalid Al-Sabah
Naftali Bennett was sworn in as the 13th Prime Minister of Israel
- Israel’s Parliament approved Naftali Bennett as the 13th Prime Minister of Israel. He replaced Israel’s longest-serving (12 years) Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu.
- He served as the Minister of Diaspora Affairs from 2013 to 2019 and Minister of Education from 2015 to 2019 and Minister of Defense from 2019 to 2020.
- Capital: Jerusalem
- Currency: Israeli Shekel
- Prime Minister: Naftali Bennett
- President: Isaac Herzog
Banking and Economy
Federal Bank partners with Oracle and Infosys for a cloud-based customer relationship management system
- Federal Bank has partnered with Oracle and Infosys to offer an enhanced customer experience through Oracle CX (Customer Experience) platform.
- The partnership will be creating a comprehensive integrated Customer Relationship Management (CRM) solution across marketing, sales, customer service and social listening to strengthen Federal Bank’s operations and to deliver connected, data-driven and intelligent customer experiences across all touchpoints.
- Headquarters: Aluva, Kerala
- MD & CEO: Shyam Srinivasan
- Tagline: “Your Perfect Banking Partner”
SBI launches ‘Kavach Personal Loan’ scheme’ for COVID-19 patients
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has launched the ‘Kavach Personal Loan’ scheme for COVID-19 patients. As per the scheme, SBI will offer collateral-free personal loans up to Rs. 5 lakhs at an annual interest rate of 8.5 per cent.
- The collateral-free personal loans are aimed at enabling customers to meet medical expenses of themselves and family members for COVID-19 treatment.
State Bank of India (SBI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Dinesh Kumar Khara
- Tagline: “The Banker to Every Indian”
Science and Technology
IIT Roorkee professor Shailesh Ganpule gets NSG Counter-Terrorism Innovator Award 2021 for blast-resistant helmet design
- A professor from IIT Roorkee, Shailesh Ganpule (Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department) has received the ‘NSG Counter-IED & Counter-Terrorism Innovator Award 2021′ for his design of a blast-resistant helmet. He was awarded in the “academic” category.
- This was the second edition of the annual award by the National Security Guard (NSG).
Rebeca Grynspan of Costa Rica becomes the first female Secretary-General of UNCTAD
- Rebeca Grynspan of Costa Rica became the first female Secretary-General of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). She replaced Mukhisa Kituyi.
- She served as the UNDP Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean. She is a member of the High-level Panel on Financing for Development and served as the Vice President of Costa Rica from 1994 to 1998.
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD):
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Secretary-General: Rebeca Grynspan
- Founded: 1964
Union Government appoints Union Finance Ministry official Anand Mohan Bajaj to the SEBI Board
- The Union Government has appointed Anand Mohan Bajaj as a Member of the Board of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI). He replaced Tarun Bajaj, who is now the Union Revenue Secretary.
- Anand Mohan Bajaj is a 1990 batch Indian Audit & Accounts Service officer who has been holding the post of Additional Secretary in the Union Finance Ministry since May 2020.
- SEBI is the capital market as well as commodity derivatives market regulator.
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
- Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
- Founded: 12 April 1992
Biotechnology company MyLab Discovery Solutions appoints Akshay Kumar as its brand ambassador
- Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar was appointed as the new brand ambassador of biotechnology company MyLab Discovery Solutions.
- Pune-based MyLab Discovery Solutions had launched India’s first COVID-19 self-test kit “CoviSelf”. The price for the CoviSelf kit has been set at Rs. 250.
Awards and Recognitions
Indian-origin journalist wins Pulitzer Prize for exposing China’s detention camps for muslims
- Indian-origin journalist Megha Rajagopalan along with Alison Killing and Christo Buschek, have won the Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting category.
- Tampa Bay Times’ Neil Bedi won the Pulitzer Prize for local reporting category. Neil Bedi along with Kathleen McGrory, has been awarded the Pulitzer Prize for the series exposing a Sheriff’s Office initiative that used computer modelling to identify people believed to be future crime suspects.
2021 Pulitzer Prize Winners
|Public Service||The New York Times|
|Breaking News Reporting||The Staff of the Star Tribune, Minneapolis, Minn.|
|Investigative Reporting||Matt Rocheleau, Vernal Coleman, Laura Crimaldi, Evan Allen and Brendan McCarthy of The Boston Globe|
|Explanatory Reporting||Andrew Chung, Lawrence Hurley, Andrea Januta, Jaimi Dowdell and Jackie Botts of Reuters|
|Local Reporting||Kathleen McGrory and Neil Bedi of the Tampa Bay Times|
|International Reporting||Megha Rajagopalan, Alison Killing and Christo Buschek of BuzzFeed News|
|Criticism||Wesley Morris of The New York Times|
|Fiction||The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich (Harper)|
|Drama||The Hot Wing King by Katori Hall|
|Biography||The Dead Are Arising: The Life of Malcolm X by the late Les Payne and Tamara Payne (Liveright/Norton)|
|Special Awards and Citations||Darnella Frazier|
Vinoo Mankad among 10 ICC Hall of Fame special inductees ahead of the WTC final
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has inducted 10 icons of the game, including India’s Vinoo Mankad, into its illustrious Hall of Fame with two players each from five eras.
- The announcement has been coincided with the inaugural World Test Championship 2021 final, to be played between India and New Zealand from 18 June 2021 in Southampton, England.
The 10 ICC Hall of Fame special inductees are:
- Aubrey Faulkner of South Africa for the early era (pre–1918)
- Monty Noble of Australia for the early era (pre–1918)
- Sir Learie Constantine of West Indies for the inter-war era (1918–1945)
- Stan McCabe of Australia for the inter-war era (1918–1945)
- Ted Dexter of England for the post-war era (1946–1970)
- Vinoo Mankad of India for the post-war era (1946–1970)
- Desmond Haynes of the West Indies was inducted from the ODI era (1971–1995)
- Bob Willis of England was inducted from the ODI era (1971–1995)
- Andy Flower of Zimbabwe was inducted from the modern era (1996–2016)
- Kumar Sangakkara of Sri Lanka was inducted from the modern era (1996–2016)
Padma Shri awardee Ashok Panagariya passed away at 71
- Prominent neurologist and Padma Shri recipient Ashok Panagariya passed away at the age of 71. He was a Vice-Chancellor of the Rajasthan University of Health Sciences, Jaipur and a member of the Government of Rajasthan’s Planning Board. He was honoured with the Padma Shri in 2014.
Former India volleyball captain Nirmal Kaur passed away at 85
- Former Indian women volleyball team captain Nirmal Kaur passed away at the age of 85. She is the wife of legendary Olympian Milkha Singh. She was the former Director of Sports for Women in the Punjab Government.
Novak Djokovic beats Stefanos Tsitsipas to clinch his 19th Grand Slam title
- Novak Djokovic of Serbia claimed his 19th Grand Slam title after he defeated Stefanos Tsitsipas in the 2021 French Open men’s singles final at Roland Garros, Paris. He became the first man to win major 4 Grand Slams at least twice in the Open Era.
- Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut clinched the 2021 French Open men’s doubles title and became the first French pair to win the home Grand Slam twice.
Barbora Krejcikova wins the women’s singles title by defeating Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in French Open 2021
- Barbora Krejcikova of the Czech Republic defeated Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia in the French Open 2021 women’s singles final at Roland Garros, Paris. It is her maiden Grand Slam title. She became the first Czech woman to win the French Open title.
Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat wins gold in the women’s 53 kg freestyle at Poland Ranking Series
- Tokyo Olympic Games bound wrestler Vinesh Phogat won the women’s 53 kg freestyle gold by defeating Khrystyna Bereza of Ukraine at the Poland Ranking Series held in Warsaw, Poland.
Indian weightlifter Mirabai Chanu qualifies for the Tokyo Olympics 2020 in the women’s 49 kg category
- The 26-year-old Indian weightlifter Mirabai Chanu (the 2017 World Champion in Weightlifting) from Manipur has qualified for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in the women’s 49 kg category.
- The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) announced that Mirabai has qualified based on her world ranking points.
International Weightlifting Federation (IWF):
- President: Michael Irani (Interim)
- Headquarters: Budapest, Hungary
- Founded: 1905
Daily CA June 13 and 14 One-liner:
|1. International Albinism Awareness Day – 13 June|
|2. World Blood Donor Day – 14 June|
|3. India signs an MoU with Kuwait for cooperation on recruitment of domestic workers|
|4. Federal Bank partners with Oracle and Infosys for cloud-based customer relationship management system|
|5. Naftali Bennett was sworn in as the 13th Prime Minister of Israel|
|6. SBI launches ‘Kavach Personal Loan’ scheme’ for COVID-19 patients|
|7. IIT Roorkee professor Shailesh Ganpule gets NSG Counter-Terrorism Innovator Award 2021 for blast-resistant helmet design|
|8. Union Government appoints Union Finance Ministry official Anand Mohan Bajaj to the SEBI Board|
|9. Biotechnology company MyLab Discovery Solutions appoints Akshay Kumar as its brand ambassador|
|10. Indian-origin journalist wins Pulitzer Prize for exposing China’s detention camps for muslims|
|11. Vinoo Mankad among 10 ICC Hall of Fame special inductees ahead of the WTC final|
|12. Padma Shri awardee Ashok Panagariya passed away at 71|
|13. Former India volleyball captain Nirmal Kaur passed away at 85|
|14. Novak Djokovic beats Stefanos Tsitsipas to clinch his 19th Grand Slam title|
|15. Barbora Krejcikova wins the women’s singles title by defeating Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in French Open 2021|
|16. Indian wrestler Vinesh Phogat wins gold in the women’s 53 kg freestyle at Poland Ranking Series|
|17. Indian weightlifter Mirabai Chanu qualifies for the Tokyo Olympics 2020 in the women’s 49 kg category|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of June 13 & 14, 2021, now from the link given below.