Daily Current Affairs: June 17, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (June 17, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day of Family Remittances – 16 June
- International Day of Family Remittances is observed annually on 16 June to recognise the contribution of as many as 200 million migrant workers who send money to their family members, the number of which is as high as 800
- This day was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- 2021 Theme: “Recovery and resilience through digital and financial inclusion”
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought – 17 June
- World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is observed globally on 17 June to raise awareness of the presence of desertification and drought, highlighting the methods of preventing desertification and recovering from drought.
- 2021 Theme: “Restoration. Land. Recovery”
Union Government launches ‘Project O2’ to meet the growing demand for medical oxygen
- The Union Government has come up with ‘Project O2 for India’ and modular hospitals to boost India’s ability to meet the sudden rise in demand for medical oxygen and hospital beds after the second wave of COVID-19.
- Under the project, a National Consortium of Oxygen enables the national level supply of critical raw materials, setting up of small oxygen plants, oxygen plants, concentrators and ventilators.
Delhi Government set to start a diploma course in mediation and yoga sciences
- The Delhi Government is going to launch a diploma course in ‘Meditation and Yoga Sciences’ at the Delhi Pharmaceutical Sciences Research University.
- This decision comes as part of the announcement made in the Delhi Budget 2021 that seeks to make yoga a crucial part of everyone’s daily life.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Lt. Governor: Anil Baijal
India likely to have 330 million 5G connections by 2026: Ericsson Mobility Report
- According to Ericsson Mobility Report, India is likely to have 330 million 5G subscribers by 2026 and the monthly data consumption per smartphone is expected to grow over 3-fold to 40 GB per smartphone.
- The average traffic per smartphone user in India has increased from 13 GB per month in 2019 to 6 GB per month in 2020.
- The average traffic per smartphone in the country stands second highest globally and is projected to grow to around 40 GB per month in 2026.
TRAI launches a TV channel selector portal for DTH and cable TV subscribers
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has launched the TV Channel Selector Portal (www.channelselector.trai.gov.in). This portal will facilitate those subscribers who do not own a mobile phone but want to use a web browser for the selection of TV channels.
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 20 February 1997
- Chairman: PD Vaghela
Union Cabinet approves ‘Deep Ocean Mission’ for the use of sustainable renewable resources
- The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal of the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences on the ‘Deep Ocean Mission’. The mission is aimed to explore the deep ocean for resources and develop deep-sea technologies for sustainable use of ocean resources.
- The estimated cost of the ‘Deep Ocean Mission’ will be 4,077 crores for 5 years which is to be implemented in a phase-wise manner. The estimated cost for the first phase for three years (2021–2024) is estimated at Rs. 2,823.4 crores.
Union Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways signs an MoU with the Union Ministry of Culture for cooperation in the development of national maritime heritage complex at Lothal, Gujarat
- Union Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways (MoPSW) and Union Ministry of Culture (MoC) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for cooperation in the development of the National Maritime Heritage Complex (NMHC) at Lothal, Gujarat.
- NMHC is set to be developed as the first of its kind in India which is dedicated to the legacy of Maritime Heritage of India and to showcase India’s rich and diverse maritime glory.
Delhi Government to start the ‘Lighthouse project’ for marginalised youth
- The Delhi Government announced that the Delhi Skill and Entrepreneurship University (DSEU) will identify youth in low-income or slum communities in the city to help them make more informed life choices and acquire necessary skills for improved employability under the ‘Lighthouse project’.
- Delhi Government has partnered with the Pune-based non-profit Lighthouse Communities Foundation to set up “Lighthouses” in Kalkaji, Malkaganj, Matia Mahal and Patparganj.
India signs a $484 million loan with ADB to improve highways in the Tamil Nadu Industrial Corridor
- The Government of India has signed a $484 million loan agreement with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to improve transport connectivity and facilitate industrial development in the Chennai–Kanyakumari Industrial Corridor (CKIC) in Tamil Nadu.
- The CKIC is part of India’s East Coast Economic Corridor (ECEC), which stretches from West Bengal to Tamil Nadu and connects India to the production networks of South, Southeast, and East Asia.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: MK Stalin
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
- National Parks: Mukurthi National Park, Guindy National Park, Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park, Mudumalai National Park
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Founded: 19 December 1966
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
- Chief Economist: Yasuyuki Sawada
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan addresses the Global Yoga Conference 2021
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Harsh Vardhan, has addressed the inaugural ceremony of the 2021 Global Yoga Conference in the presence of the Union Minister of State for Defence Shripad Yesso Nayak.
- The event was organised by ‘MokshayatanYogSansthan’ along with the Union Ministry of AYUSH and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) to mark the occasion of the 7th International Day of Yoga (21 June 2021).
Belgium hosts the 2021 NATO Summit
- The 31st summit of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) was held in Brussels, Belgium. The meeting was chaired by the NATO Secretary-General, Jens Stoltenberg.
- NATO had partnered with the German Marshall Fund of the United States to host ‘NATO 2030 at Brussels Forum’.
- The agenda also states that NATO will strengthen political consultation and the resilience of society, reinforce defence and deterrence, sharpen the technological edge and develop its next strategic concept in time for the NATO summit in 2022.
- Capital: Brussels
- Currency: Euro
- Prime minister: Sophie Wilmès
Exim Bank extends Line of Credit of $108.28 million to the Kingdom of Eswatini
- Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) has extended Line of Credit (LoC) of $108.28 million to the Government of the Kingdom of Eswatini (Swaziland) for the construction of a new Parliament building in Eswatini.
- The LoCs extended to the Government of the Kingdom of Eswatini (Swaziland) cover projects in sectors including information technology, disaster management, agriculture and construction.
- Capitals: Mbabane, Lobamba
- Currency: Swazi Lilangeni
Exim Bank (Export and Import Bank of India)
- Headquarter: Mumbai
- Managing Director: David Rasquinha
India-Kyrgyzstan reviews bilateral cooperation in defence and capacity building
- The 11th round of Foreign Office Consultations between India and Kyrgyzstan was held through virtual mode. Both countries reviewed the entire gamut of their bilateral cooperation in economic, commercial, defence, development partnership, capacity building, consular matters and culture.
- The Indian side was led by Vikas Swarup, Secretary of the West. The Kyrgyzstan side was led by Nuran Niyazaliev, First Deputy Foreign Minister of the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Capital: Bishkek
- Currency: Kyrgyzstani Som
- President: Sadyr Japarov
India extends a $100 million loan to Sri Lanka for solar energy projects
- India has extended a $100 million loan to Sri Lanka to help the island nation finance various projects in the solar energy sector and ensure that the country’s 70 per cent power requirements are fulfilled by renewable energy sources by 2030.
- Capital: Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Currency: Rupee
- Prime Minister: Mahinda Rajapaksa
- President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa
Banking and Economy
LIC CSL launches prepaid gift card ‘Shagun’ in collaboration with IDBI Bank on RuPay platform
- LIC Cards Services (LIC CSL) has launched a contactless prepaid gift card named ‘Shagun’ in collaboration with IDBI Bank on the RuPay platform.
- The Shagun gift card’s aim is to expand the gift card market with an intent to promote cashless ways of gifting. It offers customisation in the form of flexible loading of any amount ranging from 500 to Rs. 10,000.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- CEO: Rakesh Sharma
- On 21 January 2019, Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) completed the acquisition of 51% in IDBI bank
Godrej Housing Finance launches ‘design your EMI’ home loan product
- Godrej Housing Finance (GHF) has launched a ‘design your EMI’ home loan product to enable customers to customise their equated monthly installments (EMIs). It is aimed at optimising their cashflows and bring down the cost of homeownership.
- For example, EMI for an 50 lakh loan is about Rs. 40,000. So, the customer can start with small EMIs of Rs. 10,000 a month in the first year and Rs. 20,000 a month in the second year so on.
Science and Technology
Wipro joins the WEF’s partnership for the ‘New Work Standards’ initiative
- IT services major Wipro Limited has joined the World Economic Forums partnership for the ‘New Work Standards’ initiative to establish a healthy, resilient and equitable future of work.
- This initiative aims to co-create new frameworks, shape forward-thinking people policies and utilise tools and technologies to collectively build human-first work standards with business people.
China successfully launches its first crewed mission for space station construction
- China has successfully launched its crewed spacecraft, sending three astronauts to its space station’s core module Tianhe for a three-month mission.
- The Shenzhou-12 spacecraft, atop a Long March-2F carrier rocket, was launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwest China’s Gobi Desert.
Satya Nadella was appointed as the Chairman of Microsoft
- Microsoft has named Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Satya Nadella as its new Chairman. He succeeded Steve Ballmer.
- Microsoft also appointed former Chairman John Thompson as a lead independent director.
Daily CA June 17 One-liner:
|1. International Day of Family Remittances – 16 June|
|2. World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought – 17 June|
|3. Union Government launches ‘Project O2’ to meet the growing demand for medical oxygen|
|4. Delhi Government set to start a diploma course in mediation and yoga sciences|
|5. India likely to have 330 million 5G connections by 2026: Ericsson Mobility Report|
|6. TRAI launches a TV channel selector portal for DTH and cable TV subscribers|
|7. Union Cabinet approves ‘Deep Ocean Mission’ for the use of sustainable renewable resources|
|8. Union Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways signs an MoU with the Union Ministry of Culture for cooperation in the development of national maritime heritage complex at Lothal, Gujarat|
|9. Delhi Government to start the ‘Lighthouse project’ for marginalised youth|
|10. India signs a $484 million loan with ADB to improve highways in the Tamil Nadu Industrial Corridor|
|11. Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan addresses the Global Yoga Conference 2021|
|12. Belgium hosts the 2021 NATO Summit|
|13. Exim Bank extends Line of Credit of $108.28 million to the Kingdom of Eswatini|
|14. India-Kyrgyzstan reviews bilateral cooperation in defence and capacity building|
|15. India extends a $100 million loan to Sri Lanka for solar energy projects|
|16. LIC CSL launches prepaid gift card ‘Shagun’ in collaboration with IDBI Bank on RuPay platform|
|17. Godrej Housing Finance launches ‘design your EMI’ home loan product|
|18. Wipro joins the WEF’s partnership for the ‘New Work Standards’ initiative|
|19. China successfully launches its first crewed mission for space station construction|
|20. Satya Nadella was appointed as the Chairman of Microsoft|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of June 17, 2021, now from the link given below.