Daily Current Affairs: June 26, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (June 26, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking – 26 June
- The International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking is observed globally on 26 June every year since 1989. This day aims to spread awareness about the global drug problem and eliminate drug misuse.
- 2021 Theme: “Share Drug Facts to Save Lives”
International Day in Support of Victims of Torture – 26 June
- The International Day in Support of Victims of Torture is observed annually on 26 June to speak out against the crime of torture and to honour and support victims and survivors throughout the world.
- This day was declared by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on 12 December 1997.
Goa becomes the first rabies-free state in India
- Chief Minister of Goa Pramod Sawant announced that Goa had not reported a single rabies case in the last three years. Goa became the first rabies-free state in India.
- The task of rabies control has been carried out by the ‘Mission Rabies project’, which is being run through a Union Government grant.
- Capital: Panaji
- Chief Minister: Pramod Sawant
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari (Additional Charge)
- National Park: Mollem National Park
Delhi Government launches ‘Mukhyamantri COVID-19 Pariwar Aarthik Sahayata Yojana’
- The Delhi Government has developed a new portal named ‘Mukhyamantri COVID-19 Pariwar Aarthik Sahayata Yojana’. The portal is to avail financial assistance for the families affected by COVID-19.
- Under the scheme, ex gratia of 50,000 will be provided to those who have lost a family member to COVID-19 and an additional Rs. 2,500 pension per month if the deceased was the sole breadwinner of the family.
- Children who lost both their parents or single parent to COVID-19 will also be provided 2,500 per month till they achieve 25 years of age and free education as well.
- Chief Minister: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
World Bank approves a $125 million program to support a green and resilient Kerala
- The World Bank Board of Executive Directors has approved a $125 million program to support Kerala’s preparedness against natural disasters, climate change impacts, disease outbreaks and pandemics.
- The heavy monsoons of 2018 were the worst Kerala had seen in nearly a century, triggering devastating floods and landslides. It impacted more than 5 million people, mainly in the Pamba River Basin.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
- National Parks: Anamudi Shola National Park, Eravikulam National Park, Mathikettan Shola National Park, Pambadum Shola National Park, Periyar National Park, Silent Valley National Park
IFSCA forms a panel headed by Vandana Aggarwal to examine best practices in ship financing and leasing
- International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) formed a committee for the development of avenues for ship financing and leasing. This committee will be chaired by Vandana Aggarwal, former Senior Economic Advisor to the Government of India.
- This panel will examine global best practices in ship financing and leasing, identify opportunities and devise a roadmap to enable such activities from GIFT IFSC.
Maharashtra signs an MoU with the UK Government to strengthen the start-up ecosystem
- Maharashtra has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the British Government under their ‘ACT4Green’. This programme aims to enable the Indian and UK start-ups to expand internationally through market entry support in their respective cross-border markets of interest.
- The MoU aims to strengthen the existing tech start-up ecosystem in
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- National Parks: Chandoli National Park, Gugamal National Park, Nawegaon National Park, Pench (Jawaharlal Nehru) National Park, Sanjay Gandhi (Borivilli) National Park
Indian Air Force and Indian Navy conduct passage exercise with the US Navy in the Indian Ocean
- The Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force (IAF) began a two-day passage exercise with US Navy Carrier Strike Group (CSG) Ronald Reagan during its transit through the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
- India was represented by INS Kochi and Teg along with P-8I long-range maritime patrol aircraft and MiG 29K fighters. The US was represented by the Carrier Strike Group (CSG) comprising Nimitz class aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan.
NSA Ajit Doval attends SCO meeting in Dushanbe
- National Security Advisor Ajit Doval has attended the 16th meeting of the Security Council Secretaries of the Shanghai Cooporation Organisation (SCO) in Tajikistan, Dushanbe.
- Tajikistan is the current President of the SCO. It conducted the meeting of the top national security officials of the eight-nation grouping of SCO.
- Capital: Dushanbe
- Currency: Tajikistani Somoni
- President: Emomali Rahmon
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Secretary-General: Vladimir Norov
- Founded: 15 June 2001
- SCO Countries: China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Pakistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan
Banking and Economy
NCAER expects the Indian economy to grow 8.4–10.1% in FY22
- Economic think-tank NCAER expected the Indian economy to grow 8.4–10.1 per cent for the current financial year FY22 (2021–2022) from an earlier contraction of 7.3 per cent.
Science and Technology
India’s first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier is set to be commissioned in 2022
- Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh announced that India’s first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) is set to be commissioned in 2022. The aircraft carrier is set to be commissioned into the Eastern Naval Command as INS Vikrant.
- INS Vikrant is 262 metres (860 ft) long and 62 metres (203 ft) wide and displaces about 40,000 metric tons (39,000 long tons).
DRDO successfully test-fires enhanced Pinaka rocket off Odisha coast
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test-fired an extended-range version of indigenously developed Pinaka rocket from a Multi-Barrel Rocket Launcher at Integrated Test Range, Chandipur, off the coast of Odisha.
- The enhanced range version of the Pinaka Rocket System can destroy targets at distances up to 45 kilometers. The DRDO also successfully test-fired enhanced range versions of indigenously developed 122 mm Caliber Rocket.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: G Satheesh Reddy
- Founded: 1958
Olympic medallist Karnam Malleswari was appointed as the first Vice-Chancellor of the Delhi Sports University
- India’s first woman Olympic medal winner Karnam Malleswari was appointed as the Vice-Chancellor of Delhi Sports University. She won a bronze medal at the Sydney Olympic Games held in 2000.
- She has also conferred with the Arjuna Award in 1994 and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in 1999.
Pardeep Singh Tiwana becomes the first Indian origin judge of the County Court in Australia
- Pardeep Singh Tiwana became the first Indian to be appointed as a judge of the County Court of Victoria, Australia.
- He had started as a criminal lawyer at Melbourne university in 2006.
- Capital: Canberra
- Currency: Australian Dollar
- Prime Minister: Scott Morrison
- Deputy Prime Minister: Barnaby Joyce
Praveen Sinha was appointed as the Special Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)
- The Union Government has appointed CBI Additional Director Praveen Sinha as the Special Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). He replaced Rakesh Asthana.
- He is a Gujarat-cadre IPS officer of 1988 He had earlier served as the superintendent of police, deputy inspector general, joint director and additional director in two stints between 2000 and 2021.
IIM Bangalore ranked Best in India: QS Executive MBA Rankings 2021 report
- The Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management (PGPEM) of the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) was ranked the best in India in the latest edition of QS Executive MBA Rankings 2021.
- IIMB has bagged the 39th spot globally, making it the only Indian institute to feature in the list of the top 100.
- HEC Paris retains its top rank, followed by Wharton Business school and Instituto de Estudios Superiores de la Empresa (IESE) at the second and third spots, respectively.
Saurabh Chaudhary wins bronze medal in the men’s 10 metres air pistol in the ISSF Shooting World Cup 2021 in Croatia
- Indian shooter Saurabh Chaudhary won a bronze medal in the men’s 10 metres air pistol event at the ISSF Shooting World Cup 2021 held in Osijek, Croatia.
- Iran’s Javad Foroughi won the gold medal with a total of 243.0 points and Serbia’s Damir Mikec bagged the silver medal with 241.7 points.
International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF)
- Headquarters: Munich, Germany
- President: Vladimir Lisin
- Founded: 1907
Daily CA June 26 one-liner:
|1. International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking – 26 June|
|2. International Day in Support of Victims of Torture – 26 June|
|3. Goa becomes the first rabies-free state in India|
|4. Delhi Government launches ‘Mukhyamantri COVID-19 Pariwar Aarthik Sahayata Yojana’|
|5. World Bank approves a $125 million program to support a green and resilient Kerala|
|6. IFSCA forms a panel headed by Vandana Aggarwal to examine best practices in ship financing and leasing|
|7. Maharashtra signs an MoU with the UK Government to strengthen the start-up ecosystem|
|8. Indian Air Force and Indian Navy conduct passage exercise with the US Navy in the Indian Ocean|
|9. NSA Ajit Doval attends SCO meeting in Dushanbe|
|10. NCAER expects the Indian economy to grow 8.4–10.1% in FY22|
|11. India’s first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier is set to be commissioned in 2022|
|12. DRDO successfully test-fires enhanced Pinaka rocket off Odisha coast|
|13. Olympic medallist Karnam Malleswari was appointed as the first Vice-Chancellor of the Delhi Sports University|
|14. Pardeep Singh Tiwana becomes the first Indian orgin judge of the County Court in Australia|
|15. Praveen Sinha was appointed as the Special Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)|
|16. IIM Bangalore ranked Best in India: QS Executive MBA Rankings 2021 report|
|17. Saurabh Chaudhary wins bronze medal in the men’s 10 metres air pistol in the ISSF Shooting World Cup 2021 in Croatia|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of June 26, 2021, now from the link given below.