Daily Current Affairs: March 1, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (March 1, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Zero Discrimination Day- March 1
- Zero Discrimination Day is celebrated annually on March 1 by the United Nations and other international organisations. The day aims to promote equality before the law and in practice throughout all of the member countries of the UN.
World Civil Defence Day- March 1
- World Civil Defence Day is observed on March 1 annually, across the world. This day was integrated by the International Civil Defence Organisation (ICDO) in 1990. The day symbolises honour and prestige and signifies the importance of civil protection.
- 2021 Theme: “Protection of children, our responsibility”
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates ‘Maritime India Summit 2021’
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated ‘Maritime India Summit 2021’ through video conferencing. The three-day Maritime India Summit is being organized by the Ministry of Ports, Shipping, and Waterways on a virtual platform maritimeindiasummit.in
- Denmark is the partner country for the three-day summit. The Summit will visualize a roadmap for India’s Maritime sector for the next decade and will work to propel India to the forefront of the Global Maritime Sector.
Union Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot virtually launches “Sugamya Bharat App” and Handbook “Access – The Photo Digest”
- Union Minister for Social justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot virtually launched the “Sugamya Bharat App” and a handbook entitled “Access – The Photo Digest” through video conference.
- The App and the handbook have been developed by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Sugamya Bharat Application is a Crowdsourcing Mobile Application is a means for sensitising and enhancing accessibility in the 3 pillars of the Accessible India Campaign i.e., built environment, transportation sector, and ICT ecosystem in India.
Ministry of Information and Broadcasting join hands with IIT Bombay for a Gaming Centre at the campus
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting in collaboration with IIT Bombay has decided to form a Centre of Excellence for a Gaming Centre at the Campus to focus on VFX and Animation
- Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar addressing at the virtual exhibition and prize announcement of “Khel Khel Mein”, a Pan Maharashtra toy/game project design competition.
Banking and Economy
Fino Payments Bank upgraded to scheduled commercial bank status
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced Fino Payments Bank has been designated as a bank in the Second Schedule to the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934. Fino in the second schedule of the RBI Act, the payments bank now has a scheduled commercial bank status giving it the powers to expand its treasury operations and access to liquidity windows.
- Fino bank is the 1st payments bank to go live with 410 branches and more than 25,000 banking points on day one.
Fino Payments Bank
- Headquarters: Mumbai.
- CEO: Rishi Gupta.
- Tagline: “Qadar Aapki Mehnat Ki”
Science and Technology
ISRO successfully launches Brazil’s Amazonia 1 satellite, along with 18 other passenger satellites
- India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle-C51 (PSLV-C51) rocket loaded with 19 satellites from Brazil, the USA, and India lifted off from the rocket port at Sriharikota
- 637-kilogram Amazonia-1 is the optical earth observation satellite of the National Institute for Space Research (INPE).
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO):
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
- Director: Kailasavadivoo Sivan.
Kaveri Seeds becomes World’s first seed producer to have over a lakh acre in production
- Kaveri Seeds Company has become the first seed producer in the world with more than one lakh acres under seed production in a country.
- The bulk of the newly acquired seed production area is dedicated to the non-cotton sector and mostly towards high-margin hybrid rice, maize, and vegetable seeds, and nearly half of the land is located in Andhra Pradesh and
Russian supermodel ‘Supernova’ Natalia Vodianova is the new UNFPA goodwill ambassador
- Russian supermodel, entrepreneur, public speaker, and philanthropist Natalia Mikhailovna Vodianova, popularly known as ‘Supernova’, has become a United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) goodwill ambassador, pledging to promote the sexual and reproductive rights of women and girls and tackle stigmas surrounding their bodies.
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA):
- Headquarters: New York, United States. U.N.
CBDT Chairman Pramod Chandra Mody gets further extension for three months
- The Union government has decided to further extend the term of the Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), Pramod Chandra Mody, by three more months (March 1, 2021, to May 31, 2021). It is the third extension for Mody.
- Mody is a 1982-batch Indian Revenue Service officer, was appointed as the CBDT chief in February 2019. The CBDT is the apex policy-making body for Income Tax and works under the Finance Ministry.
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT):
- Chairman: Pramod Chandra Mody
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
Awards and Recognitions
Chadwick Boseman wins Best Actor Drama for Ma Rainey and Nomadland is Best Picture Drama in Golden Globes 2021
- The Golden Globes 2021 ceremony was held in Los Angeles and New York. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosted the event from Rainbow Room in New York and Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, respectively.
The complete list of winners:
- Nomadland wins Best Motion Picture (Drama)
- Andra Day wins Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture (The United States vs. Billie Holiday).
- Sacha Baron Cohen won in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy) category.
- Borat Subsequent Moviefilm is the Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)
- Chloe Zhao has bagged the award in the Best Director (Motion Picture) category.
- Chadwick Boseman has won the award posthumously. He passed away last year on August 28 after fighting a battle with cancer.
- Netflix’s The Queen’s Gambit is the Best Television Limited Series, Anthology Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television.
- Anya Taylor-Joy bags a Globe for The Queen’s Gambit
- Anya has won the award in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series, Anthology Series, or a Motion Picture Made for Television category.
- Gillain Anderson wins Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Supporting Role (The Crown Season 4).
- Jodie Foster wins Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture (The Mauritanian).
- Jane Fonda has won the award for her contribution to arts and cinema.
- John Boyega wins the award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Television Series
- The Crown wins Best Television Series (Drama)
- Minari has been awarded the Globe for Best Motion Picture (Foreign Language).
- Josh O’Connor was awarded the Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series (Drama).
- Rosamund Pike wins Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy)
- Schitt’s Creek has been created by the father-son duo of Eugene and Dan Levy.
- Jason Sudeikis has won the Globe in the Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series (Musical or Comedy) category.
Books and Authors
A new book titled “Advantage India: The Story of Indian Tennis” authored by Anindya Dutta
- A new book titled “Advantage India: The Story of Indian Tennis” authored by Anindya Dutta. The book is published by Westland publications.
- Anindya Dutta, an international banker by day, is a widely read cricket columnist and author. His first book on cricket, A Gentleman’s Game published in early 2017, rose to the top of the Amazon Bestseller list in India, Australia, and the UK.
Former Indian cricketer Vinay Kumar announces retirement from all forms of cricket
- The 37-year-old Former Indian pace bowler Vinay Kumar has announced his retirement from international and first-class cricket. Vinay Kumar has played 31 ODIs, 9 T20Is, and one test for India (2010-2013). He has led Karnataka to consecutive Ranji Trophy titles.
Indian men’s skeet team wins bronze in International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) world cup
- The Indian trio of Mairaj Ahmed Khan, Angad Vir Singh Bajwa, and Gurjoat Khangura won the bronze medal in the men’s skeet team event at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Shotgun World Cup held in Cairo, Egypt.
- The Indians beat the Kazakhstan team of David Pochivalov, Eduard Yechshenko, and Alexandr Mukhamediyev 6-2 in the bronze medal match of the International Shooting Sport Federation tournament.
International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF):
- Headquarters location: Munich, Germany
- President: Vladimir Lisin
- Founded: 1907.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 1, 2021, now from the link given below.