DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: March 10, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (March 10, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
CISF Raising Day-10 March:
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) Raising Day is observed every year on 10 March.
- CISF was set up in 1969 under an act of the Parliament of India. It works under the Union Ministry of Home Affairs and it’s headquartered is in New Delhi.
Andhra Pradesh ranked 1st in the country for overall implementation of Poshan Abhiyan:
- State of Andhra Pradesh ranked 1st in the country for overall implementation of Poshan Abhiyan as per the recent report shared by NITI Aayog.
- As part of the program the State has trained all Angan Wadi Workers on modules created based on lifecycle approach, i.e first 1000 days of life, with the support of Incremental Learning Approach (ILA)
- The government is implementing Poshan Abhiyan earlier known as National Nutrition Mission, since 18th December 2017 to address the problem of malnutrition in the country.
- The goals of Poshan Abhiyan are to achieve improvement in the nutritional status of children from 0-6 years, adolescent girls, pregnant women, and lactating mothers in a time-bound manner.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
HAL to set up logistics bases in Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and Sri Lanka:
- State-run aerospace Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) is looking at setting up logistics bases in Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia & Sri Lanka as part of initiatives to woo the countries to buy India’s light combat aircraft Tejas & military helicopters.
- Chairman and Managing Director of HAL– R Madhavan.
Gujarat tops in domestic solar rooftop installations:
- To achieve renewable power generation goals, Gujarat has topped the list in the installations of solar rooftop plants across the country with about 50,915 systems being fixed on domestic rooftops in the State as on March 2, 2020.
- Maharashtra follows with 5,513 installations as on the same date.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
UNGCNI organizes 3rd Gender equality summit 2020 in New Delhi:
- UNGCNI (United Nations Global Compact Network India), a country level platform for public & private sector, businesses to align stakeholders’ responsible practices towards Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), has organized the 3rd edition of its Gender Equality Summit 2020 at The Park in New Delhi.
- Poshan Abhiyaan is a multi-ministerial convergence mission with the vision to address malnutrition with a targeted approach by 2022.
- Under this scheme various activities are being organised in Kerala and are remodelled under the banner ‘Sambushta Kerlam’.
- Anganawadis, SHGs, kudumbasree are flag bearers of the mission.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Odisha becomes the 1st state to introduce department for SHGs: “Mission Shakti”
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced that Odisha is the 1st state to own a separate department for Self Help Groups named as” Mission Shakti”.
- It is created for the development of women & is dedicated to all the women of Odisha.
- Mission Shakti and Mamata Scheme combinedly benefits 70 lakh women
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
GMR-led Hyderabad International Airport-Best Airport by size and region:
- GMR-led Hyderabad International Airport has emerged as the winner of the coveted Airports Council International (ACI) Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Departures Awards for the Asia-Pacific region for 2019.
- It was adjudged the Best Airport by Size & Region.
- Award will be given in ACI Customer Experience Global Summit.
Ashraf Ghani sworn in as Afghanistan President for second term
- Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani was sworn in for a second term as his rival Abdullah Abdullah held a parallel inauguration that could plunge the country deeper into crisis ahead of peace talks with the Taliban.
- Capital: Kabul
- Currency: Afghan afghani
- President: Ashraf Ghani
Fagu Purnima festival being celebrated in Nepal:
- In Nepal, Holi, the festival of colours is being celebrated in mountainous and hilly regions including Nepal capital Kathmandu.
- Holi is also known as Fagu Purnima in Nepal. Every year, the festival of Holi is celebrated with gaiety and enthusiasm.
- Nepal President- Bidya Devi Bhandari.
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Napalese Rupee
- Prime Minister: KP Sharma Oli
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
Aon to buy Willis in $30-billion insurance mega-deal, antitrust hurdles loom:
- UK-based Aon Plc will buy Willis Towers Watson for nearly $30 billion in an all-stock deal that creates the world’s largest insurance broker but is almost certain to face regulatory hurdles.
- Willis shareholders would receive 1.08 Aon shares under the deal.
- Deal is expected to close in the first half of 2021.
India was world’s second-largest arms importer in 2015-19:
- India remained the world’s 2nd largest arms importer during 2015-19, with Russia being the largest supplier though Moscow’s share.
- Indian weapons market declined from 72% to 56% as per the Trends in international arms transfers 2019 report of SIPRI.
- SIPRI- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.
Banking and Finance
Moody’s again slashes India’s growth projection for 2020 to 5.3%:
- Moody’s Investors revised its baseline growth projections for India from 5.4% to 5.3% in 2020, saying an extensive and prolonged slump as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak will reduce growth in Asia’s third-largest economy to 5% during the calendar year.
Nupur Kulshrestha becomes Indian Coast Guard’s first woman DIG:
- Nupur Kulshrestha becomes the 1st woman to be promoted as Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Indian Coast Guard. She joined Indian Coast Guard in 1999.
Awards and Recognition
Hockey India 3rd annual awards 2019 in New Delhi:
- Hockey India the governing body with mandate to conduct all activities for both men and women’s hockey, has organized its 3rd Annual Awards 2019 at Hotel the Lalit in New Delhi.
- Manpreet Singh Pawar (27) & Captain of Indian Women Hockey Team, Rani Rampal (25) have won the Hockey India Dhruv Batra Player of the Year Award 2019 for Men and Women respectively.
Books and Authors
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik releases comic book on Biju’s heroics
- Chief minister Naveen Patnaik released “The Adventures of the Daredevil Democrat” – a comic book on adventure and works of legendary leader and his father Biju Patnaik.
- The comic book, prepared by Kalinga Foundation Trust and published by New Delhi-based the Creative Workshop, chronicles Biju’s childhood, his bicycle journey from Cuttack to Peshawar.
Adviser to Iran’s foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif dies from coronavirus
- Hossein Sheikholeslam an adviser to Iran’s foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, died from coronavirus yesterday.
- He was a veteran and revolutionary diplomat who took part in the 1979 US embassy hostage crisis as a student.
- Hansraj Bhardwaj, former Union Law Minister and former governor of Karnataka & Kerala, Senior Congress leader passed away at the age of 83 in New Delhi, India.
- He was born in Garhi Sampla village in Rohtak district, Haryana. He also holds the record of India’s second longest serving Law Minister.
Shafali Verma loses the top spot in the ICC women’s T20 International rankings:
- Indian batting sensation Shafali Verma lost the top spot in the ICC women’s T20 International rankings as she slipped to third after managing only two runs in the World Cup final against Australia in Melbourne.
- Australia opener Beth Mooney number one with 762 points to her kitty.
- New Zealand’s Suzie Bates with 750 points remained in second position while India vice-captain Mandhana moved down a spot to be ranked seventh, Rodrigues remained static on ninth.
West Indies skipper Kieron Pollard becomes 1st player to play 500 T20s:
- West Indies skipper Kieron Pollard has become the 1st player in the history of T20 (Twenty20) cricket to feature in 500 matches during the field against Sri Lanka for the first T20I in Pallekele, Srilanka.
- The jersey had the all-rounder’s name at the back along with the number 500. Dwayne Bravo is second in the list with 453 matches under his belt so far.
- Chris Gayle is at the third spot in the list as he has featured in 404 T20 matches.
ATP, WTA tennis tournament canceled over coronavirus concerns:
- ATP and WTA tennis tournament in Indian Wells, California, has been canceled amid a new coronavirus outbreak, making it the first major sports event to be scrubbed due to health concerns.
- The tournament, one of the biggest outside the four Tennis Grand Slams, was canceled just days before it was due to begin.
6 Indian Boxers qualify for Tokyo Olympics
- Indian boxer Amit Panghal in 52kg category qualified for his maiden Olympic Games, while Manish Kaushik in 63kg category remained in race for a Tokyo ticket despite losing his quarterfinal bout in the Asia/Oceania Qualifiers at Amman in Jordan.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 10, 2020, now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.