DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : MAY 31& JUN 1, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 31 & JUN 1 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World No Tobacco Day: 31 May
- World Health Organisation and global partners celebrate World No Tobacco Day on 31 May. The annual campaign is an opportunity to raise awareness on the harmful and deadly effects of tobacco and to discourage the use of tobacco in any form.
Global Day for Parents: June 1
- Global Day of Parents is an annual event celebrated on June 1 to honour all the parents around the world for being the anchor of their families and selflessly nurturing their children.
- The theme for 2020: “Appreciate all parents throughout the world”.
World Milk Day: June 1
- World Milk Day was established by Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations to recognize the importance of milk as a global food, and to celebrate dairy sector. Benefits of milk and dairy products have been actively promoted around the world.
- The theme for the day: “20th Anniversary of World Milk Day”
Piyush Goyal attend Digital Summit on Exports organized by CII:
- Minister for Commerce & Industry & Railways Piyush Goyal participated in the Digital Summit on Exports organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) which has completed 125 years. EXIM Bank of India was the Institutional Partner for the Summit.
- NASSCOM is targeting for $500 billion export in next five years.
Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad launches National AI Portal of India:
- Minister for Electronics & IT, Law & Justice & Communications Ravi Shankar Prasad launched India’s national Artificial Intelligence Portal called ai.gov.in. It was jointly developed by MeiTY & IT Industry and he also launched ‘Responsible AI for Youth’.
Government approves Rs 445 cr for Chhattisgarh under Jal Jeevan Mission:
- Union Government has approved Rs 445 crore for the implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission in Chhattisgarh during 2020-21.
- Chhattisgarh has planned to have 100 per cent Functional Tap Water Connection (FHTC) by 2023-24. Out of 45 lakh households in the state, it has planned to provide tap connections to 20 lakh households.
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: AnusuiyaUikey
Kerala to launch free internet project K-FON in December:
- Kerala State government has announced the Kerala Fibre Optic Network (K-FON) project will be commissioned by December 2020. The project aims to provide free internet access to the poor in the State. Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan informed the decision after a meeting with the heads of companies of the consortium.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Jitendra Singh launched e-booklet on DARPG achievements:
- Union Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Jitendra Singh has launched the e-booklet on Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) achievements for the period 30 May 2019 to 30 May 2020.
‘One Sun One World One Grid’: India initiates talks on West to SE Asia solar grid:
- India has come up with a ‘One Sun One World One Grid’ (OSOWOG) initiative to set up a framework for facilitating global cooperation in this regard aiming at building a global ecosystem of interconnected renewable energy resources that can be seamlessly shared.
- The Union Ministry of New and Renewable energy (MNRE), through this initiative, plans to build global consensus about sharing solar resources among more than 140 countries of West Asia and South East Asia.
Meeting of the Heads of Tax Authorities of the BRICS countries was held on 29 May:
- Meeting of the Heads of Tax Authorities of the BRICS countries was held on 29 May 2020. The BRICS Countries that participated in the meeting are Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa.
- The meeting was hosted by the Federal Tax Service of Russia, which currently holds the BRICS Presidency. Ajay Bhushan Pandey, Finance Secretary, Government of India, represented India at the meeting.
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian Rouble
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister: Mikhail Mishustin
Banking and Economy:
IMF approved 732 million emergency assistance to Bangladesh for COVID-19:
- IMF Executive Board approved an emergency financial assistance worth dollar 732 million for Bangladesh to address the COVID-19 pandemic in the country and to meet its urgent Balance of payment and fiscal needs caused due to reduced exports and remittances.
- Earlier ADB provided 500 million assistance to Bangladesh.
International Monetary Fund (IMF):
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C. U.S.
- Managing Director : Kristalina Georgieva
- Chief Economist : Gita Gopinath
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Yes Bank Acquires 24% Stake In Dish TV After Invoking Pledged Shares:
- Yes Bank, after the invocation of pledged shares, has acquired 44,53,48,990 equity shares of Dish TV India constituting approximately 19% of the post-issue paid-up share capital as at March 31, 2020.
Science and Technology:
Irrawaddy Dolphin population at Odisha ‘s Chilika lake increased with the help of IIT Madras’ dredging methodology:
- A research project undertaken by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras, has helped triple the number of Irrawaddy dolphins in Odisha’s Chilika lake, asia’s largest natural water reservoir.
- The project involved the excavation (loosening or dislodging) of unwanted substances from the foothills without damaging the lake’s ecosystem, removing the loosened material to the dredge vessel & transportation of the material to the placement area.
Missile Park “Agneeprastha” To Be Set Up At INS Kalinga:
- The foundation stone for a Missile Park named “Agneeprastha”, a one-stop arena for the motivation of inquisitive minds regarding missiles, was laid at INS Kalinga, Andhra Pradesh.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
Free Online Career Skills Training launched on NCS portal in partner with TCS iON:
- Ministry of Labour & Employment under its National Career Service project is offering free online “Career Skills Training” in partner with TCS iON for its registered jobseekers. This soft skills course assists learners in enhancing personality development.
Arun Singhal appointed as CEO Food Safety and Standards Authority of India:
- Cabinet approved the appointment of Arun Singhal as chief executive officer of the apex food regulator Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. He will succeed GSG Ayyangar who was briefly appointed as the CEO.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI):
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Rita Teotia
BBB recommends Ashwini Bhatia for post of SBI MD:
- Banks Board Bureau headed by B P Sharma. Recommended names of Ashwini Bhatia, M V Rao and P P Sengupta for the post of managing director of three state-owned lenders – State Bank of India, Central Bank of India and Indian Overseas Bank, respectively.
Pradip Kumar Tripathi Assumes Charge as Secretary in Ministry of Steel:
- Shri Pradip Kumar Tripathi has assumed charge as Secretary, Ministry of Steel and Government of India on 1 June 2020. He took over as Secretary upon the superannuation of present incumbent Binoy Kumar. The appointment was approved by the Appointment Committee of Cabinet
Mohandas Pai to chair IBBI advisory committee on service providers:
- Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India reconstituted its advisory committee on service providers and is to be chaired by T V Mohandas Pai. The 12-member panel would advise and provide professional support on regulation and development of the service providers dealt with by the IBBI.
Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI):
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Chairperson: M.S Sahoo
Lt Gen Manoj Pande to take over as Commander-in-Chief of Andaman and Nicobar Command:
- Lieutenant General Manoj Pande, AVSM, VSM, will take over as the 15th Commander-in-Chief of the Andaman & Nicobar Command (CINCAN). He will replace LtGen Podali Shankar Rajeshwar .
- During his 37 years of distinguished service, Pande has taken an active part in Operation Vijay and Operation Parakram.
Awards and Recognition:
Stefan Manegold Wins 2020 Sigmod Contributions Award:
- CWI researcher Stefan Manegold was awarded the 2020 SIGMOD Contributions Award. It recognizes his innovative work in data management community to encourage scientific reproducibility. Manegold was a pioneer in encouraging reproducibility in data management
SEEDS :Delhi-based NGO wins WHO award:
- World Health Organization (WHO) has conferred the World No Tobacco Day Award 2020 to the Socio-Economic and Educational Development Society (SEEDS), an NGO, for its efforts to ban pan masala, gutkha, e-cigarettes and hookah in Bihar and Jharkhand.
- SEEDS are among the 3 awardees from the South East Asia region.
Virat Kohli only cricketer in Forbes’ 2020 list of world’s highest paid athletes:
- India Skipper Virat Kohli is the only cricketer to feature in Forbes’ list of the top 100 highest paid athletes in the world for the year 2020. Kohli is ranked at number 66 with estimated earnings of $26 million.
- Tennis legend Roger Federer has topped the list for the first time with earnings of USD 106.3 million, rising from fifth place last year.
- Football icons Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are second and third respectively with earnings of USD 105 and USD 104 million.
- The others in the top-10 are Neymar (football), LeBron James (basketball), Stephen Curry (basketball), Kevin Durrant (basketball), Tigers Woods (golf), Kirk Cousins (American football) and Carson Wentz (American football).
Former Olympic sprint champion Bobby Morrow dies aged 84:
- American sprinter Bobby Morrow, who won three gold medals at the 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne, died on Saturday at the age of 84.
- He was named Sports Illustrated’s “Sportsman of the Year” in 1956 and set 11 ratified world records during his career.
Wajid Khan, of composer duo Sajid-Wajid, dies at 42:
- Music director Wajid Khan, who made his Bollywood debut in Salman’s 1998 was known for his compositions for Salman Khan’s popular movies such as ‘Wanted’, the ‘Dabangg’ franchise and ‘Ek Tha Tiger’, passed away at 42 due to kidney infection complications.
Long-distance runner Kiranjeet Kaur banned for 4 years by World Athletics’ anti-doping body:
- Long – Distance runner Kiranjeet Kaur, who won the tata Steel Kolkata 25K among the Indians last year, has been handed a four-year ban by World Athletics’ anti-doping body (WADA) for returning positive for a banned substance in a test conducted in Doha.
World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA):
- Headquarters: Montreal, Canada.
- President– WitoldBańka.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.