DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : MARCH 11, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : MARCH 11, 2018
Karnataka State flag unveiled:
- The Siddaramaiah government unveiled the State flag (nada dhwaja) for Karnataka.
- If approved by the Centre, Karnataka will be the second State to have a flag after Jammu and Kashmir.
- The yellow-white-red flag has the State emblem at the centre. The proposal will be now sent to the Union Home Ministry for approval, since a State has no powers to announce its own flag.
Karnataka CM- Siddaramaiah,
Governor- Vajubhai Vala.
Mumbai, Delhi emerge as world’s best airports in global passenger survey:
- ACI announced its annual airport service quality (ASQ) awards on Tuesday and Mumbai tied with Delhi for the top position among airports handling over 40 million passengers annually.
- Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) and Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport have beaten 1,952 other airports from 176 countries to tie at number one for world’s best airports.
- Beijing and Shanghai Pudong have been ranked second. India has the highest number of awards. China is second (six airports), followed by Indonesia (4).
ACI-Airports Council International
Capital of Maharashtra – Mumbai
ACI World is located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Telangana govt launches start-up incubator for women:
- Government of Telangana launched Women Entrepreneurship Hub (WE- Hub) in Hyderabad.
- WE-Hub is India’s first state-led incubator exclusively for women entrepreneurs.
- Unlike T-Hub, which is meant for technology startups, WE Hub will be open for all kinds of startups led by women.
- Former Joint Director for Electronics Promotions (Electronics, Semiconductor and Business) for the State of Telangana, Deepthi Ravula has been appointed as the CEO of WE Hub.
CM- K Chandrashekhar Rao
Governor- ESL Narasimhan.
Multilateral naval exercise begins in Andaman:
- The first ever multi-nation naval exercise at sea called MILES-18 will begin today. The exercise will be conducted for three days in the Andaman Sea.
- The biennial exercise Milan is taking place in the backdrop of imposition of state of emergency in Maldives and Sri Lanka, two of India’s maritime neighbours, and China’s growing assertiveness in the region.
- The aim of the 10th edition of the exercise is to expand regional cooperation and combat unlawful activities in critical sea lanes.
Russia test-fires ‘ideal’ hypersonic missile:
- Russia successfully launched a hypersonic missile which President Vladimir Putin called “an ideal weapon” as he unveiled a new array of next-generation arms earlier this month.
- The high-precision Kinzhal (Dagger) missile was launched from a MiG-31 supersonic interceptor jet that took off from an airfield in the south military district in Russia’s southwest.
Currencies: Russian ruble, Ruble sign
President: Vladimir Putin
Banking and Business
Paytm Received SEBI nod as registered Investment Adviser:
- Financial services platform Paytm said its wholly-owned subsidiary, Paytm Money, has received approval of market regulator SEBI to become a registered Investment Advisor.
- The nod from the Securities and Exchange Board of India will allow the company to roll out investment and wealth management products to consumers across the country.
Paytm Senior Vice President: Pravin Jadhav
SEBI headquarters: Mumbai
SEBI Chairperson: Ajay Tyagi
Appointments and Resigns:
Suresh Prabhu Gets Additional Charge of Civil Aviation Ministry:
- Commerce and Industries Minister Suresh Prabhu given additional charge of the Civil Aviation Ministry, a day after the resignation of Ashok Gajapathi Raju of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) was accepted by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- As advised by the Prime Minister, President Kovind has directed that Shri Suresh Prabhu, Cabinet Minister, shall be assigned charge of the Union Ministry of Civil Aviation, in addition to his existing portfolio at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Minister of Commerce and Industry, Civil Aviation- Suresh Prabhu
Delhi high jumper Tejaswin Shankar smashes national record to book CWG ticket:
- Delhi youngster Tejaswin Shankar smashed his own national record to claim the high jump gold as three athletes booked their Commonwealth Games berths on the third and penultimate day of the 22nd Federation Cup Senior National Athletics Championships.
- The 19-year-old Shankar sailed over the bar at 2.28m to marginally improve his own national mark of 2.26m which he achieved in Coimbatore in 2016 during the Junior National Championships.
CWG (Comman Wealth Games)
Sultan Azlan Shah Cup: Superb Australia beat England to lift 10th title:
- Australia regained the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup title after overcoming England 2-1 in the final, In the final at Ipoh, Malaysia.
- Australia has now won the prestigious tournament for the 10th time, while Argentina claimed the bronze medal with a 3-2 win over hosts Malaysia
- Australia took the lead in the 38th minute when Blake Govers fired home from a penalty corner.
- Youngster Sharp doubled Australia’s lead in the 53rd minute, scrambling the ball home from close range after skipper Mark Knowles’ initial drag-flick effort was saved.
Capital of Australia: Canberra
Currency: Australian dollar
Prime Minister of Australia: Malcolm Turnbull