Daily Current Affairs: March 26, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (March 26, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Andhra Pradesh CM inaugurated Kurnool airport and named it after freedom fighter Uyyalavada Narasimha Reddy
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy inaugurated Kurnool Airport located at Orvakal and named it after the first-ever freedom fighter from the region, Uyyalavada Narasimha Reddy, as a tribute to him.
- Kurnool airport is the sixth civilian airport in the state after Visakhapatnam, Tirupati, Vijayawada (all three international) and Rajamahendravaram, and Kadapa (domestic). Flight operations will commence under the Regional Connectivity Scheme, Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (RCS-UDAN).
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park, Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park
Bengaluru’s Kempegowda airport became the first in south India to have operational parallel runways
- The refurbished and upgraded North Runway at Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru after receiving the necessary approval from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) commenced its operations.
- The North Runway was closed for operations since June 2020 and the refurbishment included strengthening of the surface with fresh layers of asphalt and the addition of two new taxiways to enable efficient runway operations.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
- National Park: Anshi National Park, Kudremukh National Park, Bandipur National Park, Bannerghatta National Park, Rajiv Gandhi (Nagarahole) National Park
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched Central Scrutiny Centre and IEPFA
- Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman virtually launched Central Scrutiny Centre (CSC) and Investor Education and Protection Fund Authority’s (IEPFA) Mobile App, the two tech-enabled initiatives by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- Digital India is a campaign launched by the Government of India to ensure that the Government’s services are made available to citizens electronically by making the country digitally empowered in the field of technology. These two initiatives would create a new corporate and investor-friendly ecosystem.
Nagaland Health Minister launched ‘i-Learn’ for Community Health Officers
- Nagaland Health and Family Welfare Minister S Pangnyu Phom launched “i-Learn”, a capacity building and performance tracking application for Community Health Officers (CHOs) in the state at his office chamber in Kohima.
- The state government launched the i-Learn application in partnership with USAID-NISHTHA/Jgpiego which will cater across the 189 Health & wellness centers in the state.
- Capital: Kohima
- Chief Minister: Neiphiu Rio
- Governor: R N Ravi
Advertising Standards Council of India partnered with Future brands to study on depiction of women in Indian advertising
- The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI) collaborated with Future brands for an exhaustive and immersive study to look into various gender narratives proliferating in Indian advertising and come up with insights for brands and agencies to move towards more responsible advertising.
- ASCI is launching the study, GenderNext, in partnership with consulting and management firm Futurebrands. GenderNext is expected to be released in September 2021.
Rajnath Singh and the South Korean Defence Minister inaugurated Indo-Korean Bilateral Friendship Park
- Indian Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and South Korean Defence Minister Suh Wook inaugurated the Indo-Korean Bilateral Friendship Park in Delhi Cantt.
- Friendship Park has been built to commemorate the contribution of Indian peacekeepers during the Korean War from 1950 to 1953.
- Capital: Seoul
- Currency: South Korean Won
- Prime Minister: Chung Sye-Kyun
- President: Moon Jae-In
India conducted the first-ever joint patrol in Madagascar EEZ and PASSEX
- The navies of India and Madagascar undertook joint patrolling of Madagascar’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and also conducted a Passage Exercise (PASSEX).
- INS Shardul and Malagasy Navy ship MNS Trozona carried out a Passage Exercise (PASSEX).
- Capital: Antananarivo
- Currency: Ariary
Banking and Economy
ICICI Bank launched an instant EMI facility to break high-value transactions into EMIs
- ICICI Bank customers can break their high-value transactions of over 50,000 into suitable EMIs (Equated Monthly Installment) directly on its internet banking platform to make their purchases more affordable. The bank has tied up with online payment gateways BillDesk and Razorpay to enable this facility.
- ‘EMI @Internet Banking’ facility is the first in the industry. It will enable customers to convert their high-value transactions up to 5 lakh into easy monthly installments.
ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD and CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
- Tagline: Hum Hai Na, Khyal Apka
Niyo Launched NiyoX in partnership with Equitas Small Finance Bank and VISA
- India’s leading fintech company, Niyo launched pioneering mobile-first digital banking solution NiyoX in partnership with Equitas Small Finance Bank and VISA.
- NiyoX is a 2-in-1 account that provides its users access to a full wealth management suite in addition to the savings account. The comprehensive wealth management suite powered by Niyo Money provides zero commission mutual funds.
Equitas Small Finance Bank
- Headquarters: Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Managing Director & CEO: PN Vasudevan
- Tagline: “It’s Fun Banking”
Denis Sassou Nguesso re-elected as the president of the Republic of the Congo
- Denis Sassou Nguesso has been re-elected president of the Republic of Congo after the constitution was amended to allow him to seek a third term.
- Sassou Nguesso has been in power since 1979, except for five years after losing elections in 1992. He is one of the world’s longest-serving presidents, earning him the nickname “emperor”.
Republic of Congo
- Capital: Brazzaville
- Currency: Central African CFA franc
- President: Denis Sassou Nguesso
Saurabh Garg appointed as the CEO of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- Senior bureaucrat Saurabh Garg has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). Garg is at present serving in his cadre state Odisha. He is a 1991 batch IAS officer.
Sanjeev Kumar appointed as the chairman of the Airports Authority of India (AAI)
- Sanjeev Kumar, a 1991 batch IAS officer of Maharashtra cadre, has been appointed as the Chairman of the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- Atish Chandra to be the Chairman and Managing Director of Food Corporation of India (FCI) in the rank and pay of Additional Secretary. Chandra, a 1994 batch IAS officer of Bihar cadre, is currently Joint Secretary, Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare.
Awards and Recognitions
Harsh C Mariwala named as EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2020
- Business leader Harsh Mariwala is the EY Entrepreneur for 2020. Mariwala, chairman of the fast-moving consumer goods firm Marico, will represent India at the EY (Ernst & Young) World Entrepreneur of the Year Award in June.
- Prathap Chandra Reddy is the founder and executive chairman of Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Limited was felicitated with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Books and Authors
Actor Samir Soni’s debut book titled ‘My Experiments with Silence’ was released
- Actor Samir Soni marked his debut as an author of the book titled ‘My Experiments with Silence’. The book was published by OM Books International.
- In the book, Soni will present a personal account of his dialogues with himself during his growing-up years in Delhi, his stint at Wall Street, and his time in Bollywood.
A new book titled “Escaped: True Stories of Indian Fugitives in London” was authored by Danish Khan and Ruhi Khan
- A new book titled “Escaped: True Stories of Indian Fugitives in London” was authored by Danish Khan and Ruhi Khan. The book was published by Penguin eBury Press.
- The book was presented by Hussain Zaidi, an Indian author and former investigative journalist who publishes under the aegis of Blue Salt.
Noted Odissi dancer Laxmipriya Mohapatra passed away at 86
- Noted Odissi dancer Laxmipriya Mohapatra, the wife of legendary classical dancer Kelucharan Mohapatra, has died due to old age-related ailments. Starting her dancing career at an early age at the Annapurna Theatre in Puri in 1947.
Former RBI Deputy Governor KC Chakrabarty passed away at 68
- Former Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank KC Chakrabarty passed away at 68 in Mumbai. Chakrabarty was elevated as RBI DG in 2009 after being at the helm of Punjab National Bank from 2007 to 2009.
Indian trio of Rahi Sarnobat, Chinky Yadav, and Manu Bhaker clinched Gold in Women’s 25m pistol team event at ISSF Shooting World Cup
- India won gold in the women’s 25m Pistol Team event at the ISSF World Cup in Delhi. India beat Poland in the final to win the country’s 10th The Indian women’s team of Rahi Sarnobat, Chinki Yadav and Manu Bhaker beat Poland’s Joanna Iwona Wawrzonowska, Julita Borek and Agnieszka Korejwo in the gold medal match.
Tejaswini Sawant and Sanjeev Rajput won gold in 50m rifle 3 positions mixed team event
- Tejaswini Sawant and Sanjeev Rajput won a gold medal in the 50m rifle mixed team event at the ISSF World Cup held in Delhi. They won the final round against Ukraine.
- Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar and Sunidhi Chauhan won the bronze medal after getting the better of USA’s Timothy Sherry and Virginia Thrasher (31-15) at the Karni Singh Shooting Range.
Para Shooter Sidhartha Babu claimed bronze medal: India finished with 7 medals
- Para shooter Sidhartha Babu claimed a bronze medal as India ended their campaign with seven medals including two gold medals at the Al Ain 2021 World Shooting Para Sport World Cup held in the United Arab Emirates.
- Ukraine finished top of the medal table with 11 medals (five gold, five silver, and one bronze) followed by host nation UAE which won five medals (three gold and two silver) while India finished third place with 7 medals (two gold medals, one silver, and four bronze medals).
- Para shooter Manish Narwal had set a new world record on way to clinching gold in the P4 mixed 50m pistol SH1 event.
Navi Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Bhubaneswar was chosen as venues for the 2022 Women’s Asian Cup
- Navi Mumbai, Ahmedabad, and Bhubaneswar were finalised as the three venues for the 2022 AFC Women’s Asian Cup football tournament to be hosted by India
- India is hosting the Women’s Asian Cup from 20 January to 6 February 2022. India is also scheduled to host the next edition of the FIFA Women’s U-17 World Cup in 2022.
- The DY Patil Stadium (Navi Mumbai), TransStadia (Ahmedabad) and the Kalinga Stadium (Bhubaneswar) will host the matches.
Asian Football Confederation (AFC)
- Headquarters: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- President: Salman bin Ibrahim Al Khalifa
- General Secretary: Windsor John
- Founded: 1954
Jharkhand won the 11th Sub-Junior Men’s National Hockey title
- Jharkhand beat Hockey Haryana in a shootout to clinch the 11th Hockey India Sub Junior Men National Championship 2021 held in Jind, Haryana. Uttar Pradesh clinched the third spot with a magnificent win against Manipur.
International Hockey Federation:
- Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
- President: Narinder Batra
- Founded: 7 Jan 1924
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 26, 2021, now from the link given below.