DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: March 5, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (March 5, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Security Day
- March 4 is celebrated to honour the work of Indian Security Forces. This includes every security personnel, policemen, paramilitary forces, guards, commandos, army officers, etc.
National Safety Day
- National Safety Day is celebrated on 4 March, the foundation day of the National Safety Council of India.
- A one-week campaign is organised from 4 March known as the National Safety Week campaign that will highlight the safety measures required to reduce the accidents and any kind of mishaps.
- Theme of National Safety day 2020 is “Enhance Health & Safety Performance by Use of Advanced Technology “.
Janaushadhi Week being celebrated from March 1 to 7
- Janaushadhi week is being celebrated across the country from 1st of this month through more than 6200 Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras.
- Jan Aushadhi Kendra owners are organising different types of activities for making awareness about health and hygiene.
- Theme: ‘Suvidha Se Sammaan’.
Thinlas Chorol sets up first women’s travel company in Ladakh
- International Women’s Day will be celebrated on 8th of this month. Government has taken series of initiatives to empower women. People are using the #IWD 2020 and #BetiPadhaoDeshBadhao to share uplifting stories in the run up to International Women’s Day.
- In Ladakh, a young woman Thinlas Chorol has introduced woman trekking guide in the male dominated trekking industry. To train the other women as trekking guide, she setup the first women’s travel company fully operated by Women Only.
India Pharma 2020 & India Medical Device 2020 Conference to be held in Gujarat
- India Pharma 2020 and India Medical Device 2020 Conference and Exhibition has been scheduled to be held at Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat from 5-7 of March 2020.
- The conference will be inaugurated by the Chemicals & Fertilizers Minister Shri Sadananda Gowda.
Phase II of Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) launched
The 2nd phase of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen), which has an outlay of Rs 1,40,881 Cr, was launched by Union Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat. SBM (G) Phase-II will focus on sustaining the gains made in the 1st phase of the programme.
Swachh Bharat Mission was launched on October 2, 2014.
Cabinet approved MoU between India & Cote dlvoire for cooperation in the field of health:
- Cabinet nod the MoU between India and Cote d’lvoire in field of health.
- MoU was signed between the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare of India & the Ministry of Health & Public Hygiene of Cote d’Ivoire.
- The MoU will regulate drugs & pharmaceutical products.
APEDA signs MoUs with various organisations for implementation of Agri Export Policy:
- APEDA (Agricultural and Processed Food Export Development Authority) signed MoUs with various organisations for implementation of Agri Export Policy.
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD), Quality Council of India (QCI) and Pearl Academy are among this.
NEDFI through its Microfinance Scheme has facilitated generation of indirect employment to about 7.97 lakh women
- NEDFI (North Eastern Development Finance Corporation Ltd) through its Microfinance Scheme has facilitated generation of indirect employment to about 7.97 lakh women.
- Number of women beneficiaries in livelihood project of North Eastern Region Community Resources Management Project (NERCORMP) is 3,45,489.
Microsoft & Accenture team up to help entrepreneurs amplify reach
- Microsoft & Accenture said that they were teaming up to help deepen the reach of entrepreneurs and start-ups that are focused on social impact and sustainability.
- The joint initiative will provide hands-on support and technologies to social enterprises.
Luxembourg is the First Country in the World to provide Free Public Transport:
- Luxembourg in Europe has become the first country to make all forms of public transport free. It is the second smallest country in the European Union.
- Around 0.2 million passengers travel to Luxembourg from its neighbouring countries such as Belgium, France and Germany for work. Also, it has the highest car density in European Union.
- Capital- Luxembourg City
- Currency- Euro.
Banking and Finance
Financial Awards 2020: SBI and HDFC Bank win ‘Bank of the Year’ award:
- State Bank of India (SBI) and private major HDFC Bank have jointly bagged the ‘Bank of the Year’ award at Business Today-Money Today Financial Awards 2020. While this is the second time SBI has won the award, for HDFC Bank, it was sixth year running.
- HDFC has also bagged the ‘Best Large Bank’ and ‘Best Fintech Engagement’ award. On the other hand, SBI won the award for ‘Best in Rural Outreach’.
- Kotak Mahindra Mutual Fund emerged the ‘Best Fund House Overall’ and ‘Best Fund House Debt’. Axis Mutual Fund won the award for ‘Best Fund House Equity’.
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance bagged the award for the ‘Best General Insurance Provider’.
Arjun Ranga elected president of All India Agarbathi Manufacturers Association:
- Arjun Ranga, the CEO of N Ranga Rao & Sons, has been elected president of the All India Agarbathi Manufacturers Association.
- Ranga, who was previously the Vice-president of the association, will represent over 700 agarbathi manufacturers.
Ajay Bhushan Pandey appointed as the new Finance Secretary
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the appointment of Ajay Bhushan Pandey as the new Finance Secretary in Ministry of Finance.
- He will succeed current Rajiv Kumar, who has retired in February 2020.
- Pandey, a 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service officer of Maharashtra cadre, had earlier worked as chief executive officer of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), the organization behind the Aadhaar.
Former India spinner Sunil Joshi named BCCI’s selection committee chairman
- Former India spinner Sunil Joshi was named chairman of the national selection panel by the BCCI’s Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) in Mumbai.
- A statement from BCCI Secretary Jay Shah said, the CAC also picked ex-pacer Harvinder Singh for a place in the five-member group.
Kishore Biyani redesignated as non-executive VC at Future Lifestyle:
- Future Lifestyle Fashions said that its board had approved the redesignation of Kishore Biyani, the company’s managing director, as non-executive vice chairperson.
- The re-designation is based on the recommendations of the nomination and remuneration committee, the company said.
Sanjay Kumar Panda appointed as India’s Ambassador to Turkey
- Ministry of External Affairs announced Senior diplomat Sanjay Kumar Panda has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to Turkey. He succeeds Sanjay Bhattacharya.
- Sanjay Kumar Panda is a 1991 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer.
Awards and Recognition
LuLu’s chairman Yusuff Ali becomes first Indian to get Saudi’s premium residency:
- Abu Dhabi-based Indian retail tycoon M A Yusuff Ali has become the first Indian to receive Saudi Arabia’s premium residency, his office said in a statement.
- Yusuff Ali, 64, is the chairman of the LuLu Group, who was ranked the richest expat in the UAE by the Forbes magazine last year.
Ireland Architects Yvonne Farrell & Shelley McNamara wins The Pritzker Architecture prize 2020
- Chairman of The Hyatt Foundation Tom Pritzker announced Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara as the winners of Pritzker Architecture prize 2020.
- It is the 1st time an Irish citizen & a female combination won the prize. It is an annual award sponsored by Hyatt foundation is regarded as the profession’s highest award.
Journalist Ramniklal Solanki passes away
- Veteran journalist in Gujarati-language and pioneer of the Asian media in the United Kingdom, Ramniklal Solanki recently passed away.
- He served as the London correspondent of the Mumbai-based Janmabhoomi Group of newspapers. He was also the founder-editor of the Garavi Gujarat newsweekly and the Asian Media Group.
Bouddha Kristi Prachar Sangha Sanghanayaka Suddhananda Mahathero passes away
- Head of the Bangladesh Bouddha Kristi Prachar Sangha Sanghanayaka Suddhananda Mahathero passed away in Dhaka today. He was 88.
Former United Nations Chief Javier Perez de Cuellar dies in Peru:
- Former UN chief Javier Perez de Cuellar, who led the world body during the Iran-Iraq war and the civil war in El Salvador, died in his native Peru. The Peruvian diplomat served as UN Secretary-General from 1981 to 1991. He also served as prime minister.
- Javier Perez de Cuellar died at the age of 100.
Shafali Verma at top spot in ICC women’s T20I rankings:
- Shafali Verma, the teenage Indian batting sensation, has gained the top spot in the ICC women’s T20 International rankings, riding on her stellar run at the ongoing World Cup.
- She has become only the second India batter after Mithali Raj to top the women’s T20 International rankings, according to an ICC statement. The 16-year-old Shafali has replaced New Zealand’s Suzie Bate.
- Among the Indian bowlers, Poonam Yadav moved up four places, to eighth rank. In the all-rounder’s rankings, India’s Deepti Sharma has advanced nine places to seventh rank, the first time that she is among the top 10 in the all-rounders’ list.
Badminton Asia Championships moved from Wuhan to Manila over coronavirus outbreak
- Badminton Asia Championships have been moved out of novel coronavirus outbreak epicentre, Wuhan, to the Philippines capital Manila.
- The Badminton Asia officials said this in a statement in Shanghai. The Asia Championships will be staged in Manila from 21st of next month.
Bilateral Sports Exchange: Cricket Match between UKAFCA & IAF
- Sports Exchange is a good opportunity at fostering camaraderie, friendship & the diplomatic relationship between the 2 countries. Bilateral Sports Exchange between Indian Air Force Cricket team & UK Armed Forces Cricket Association was held at New Delhi.
- IAF won the match and scored 126 for 3 wickets in 19.1 overs.
an you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 5, 2020, now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.