Daily Current Affairs: May 2 & 3, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (May 2 & 3, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Tuna Day – 2 May
- World Tuna Day is observed annually on 2 May to raise awareness about the importance of tuna and to promote more sustainable fishing practices. The day was established by United Nations (UN). It is observed for the first time in 2017.
World Laughter Day – 2 May
- World Laughter Day is celebrated every year on the first Sunday of May to raise awareness about laughter and its many healing benefits. This year the day falls on 2 May. The day was first celebrated on 10 May 1998 in Mumbai, India.
World Press Freedom Day – 3 May
- World Press Freedom Day is observed on 3 May every year to raise awareness of the importance of freedom of the press and remind governments of their duty to respect and uphold the right to freedom of expression.
- The day was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in December 1993.
- 2021 Theme: “Information as a Public Good”
Indian Army inaugurates first green solar energy harnessing plant of 56 KVA in North Sikkim
- Indian Army inaugurated the First Green Solar Energy harnessing plant of 56 KVA using Vanadium based battery technology in North Sikkim (at an altitude of 16000 ft) for harnessing renewable energy for its troops.
- The project was completed in collaboration with IIT Mumbai. It was led by Professor Prakash Ghosh and troops of the Indian Army.
- Capital: Gangtok
- Chief Minister: Prem Singh Tamang
- Governor: Ganga Prasad
India-UK launches ‘Roadmap 2030’ at a virtual summit
- India and the UK launched a comprehensive ‘Roadmap 2030’ to deepen cooperation over the next decade across five key areas at a virtual summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his UK counterpart Boris Johnson.
- The areas for further expanding and deepening bilateral cooperation include people-to-people relationship, trade and prosperity, defence and security, climate action and healthcare.
- Capital: London
- Currency: Pound Sterling
- Prime Minister: Boris Johnson
World’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge opens in Portugal
- The World’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge opened in Portugal. The record-breaking bridge measures 516 meters (or roughly 1,692 feet) long and is suspended 175 meters (574 feet) above a river.
- Capital: Lisbon
- Currency: Euro
- Prime Minister: Antonio Costa
- President: Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa
Banking and Economy
SIDBI launches quick credit delivery schemes ‘SHWAS’ and ‘AROG’ to support COVID-19 preparedness
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) had launched two new quick credit delivery schemes SHWAS (SIDBI assistance to Healthcare sector in War Against the Second wave of COVID19) and AROG (SIDBI Assistance to MSMEs for Recovery & Organic Growth during COVID-19 pandemic) to provide funding for production and services related to supply of oxygen cylinders, oxygen concentrators, oximeters and essential drugs.
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)
- Headquarters: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Chairman & Managing Director (MD): S Ramann
Acquisitions and Mergers
Gemini Partners with Mastercard to Launch new crypto rewards credit card
- Gemini, a cryptocurrency platform announced its first-of-a-kind cryptocurrency rewards credit card partnership with Mastercard and WebBank. The partnership will allow clients to earn up to 3% back for dining and 2% back for groceries.
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Executive Chairman: Ajay Banga
- Chief Executive Officer: Michael Miebach
CtrlS Datacenters partners with Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance for strategic technology solutions
- CtrlS Datacenters, Asia’s largest rated-4 hyperscale data center and managed services player collaborated with Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance as a strategic technology partner to enhance their overall technology infrastructure
- CtrlS data center facilities thereby supporting and enabling the life insurer’s overall digital transformation
Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance
- Headquarters: Gurugram, Haryana
- MD and CEO: Anuj Mathur
Science and Technology
Anand Mahindra launches ‘Oxygen on Wheels’ to tackle COVID-19 crisis
- Mahindra group chairman Anand Mahindra launched the ‘Oxygen on Wheels’ project to ease the transportation of oxygen from producing plants to hospitals and homes. ‘Oxygen on Wheels’ uses trucks in local shuttle routes to connect oxygen producers with hospitals and homes.
RBI appoints T Rabi Sankar as its one of the Deputy Governor
- T Rabi Sankar was appointed as the fourth Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for three years. He currently serves as the executive director in charge of payments and settlement.
- Rabi Sankar succeeds BP Kanungo as the deputy governor, who retired on 2 April after getting a one-year extension in his position.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Formation: 1 April 1935
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: MK Jain, MD Patra, M Rajeshwar Rao and T Rabi Sankar
- Subsidiaries: Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran (BRBNM)
Kotak Mahindra Life appoints Mahesh Balasubramanian as its Managing Director
- Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance Company Limited (KLI) appointed Mahesh Balasubramanian as managing director of the company for a period of three years. He succeeded G Murlidhar.
- Suresh Agarwal has been elevated to Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Kotak General Insurance.
Former Kerala Minister R Balakrishna Pillai passed away at 86
- Former Kerala Minister R Balakrishna Pillai passed away due to age-related ailments. He was the founder general secretary of the Kerala Congress. He was elected to the Lok Sabha in 1971 from the Mavelikara constituency.
Actor Bikramjeet Kanwarpal passed away at 52
- Actor Bikramjeet Kanwarpal, a popular character actor in films and television, passed away due to Covid-19 complications. He was a retired army officer. He had played supporting roles in many films and television serials.
Assam’s first female IAS officer Parul Debi Das passed away
- Parul Debi Das, the first female IAS officer from Assam, passed away. She had retired from service as the Additional Chief Secretary of Assam. She was an Assam-Meghalaya cadre IAS officer. She was the daughter of the former cabinet minister of Assam, Ramnath Das.
Sitar maestro Pandit Devabrata Chaudhuri passed away at 85
- Sitar maestro Pandit Devabrata Chaudhuri passed away due to COVID-19 related complications. He had been awarded the Padma Bhushan, the Padma Shri and the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for his contribution in the field of music.
ASBC Asian Men’s & Women’s Boxing Championships 2021 relocated to Dubai from New Delhi
- The Asian Boxing Championship was scheduled to be held in New Delhi, India moved to Dubai, UAE because of the deepening COVID-19 crisis in India.
- Boxing Federation of India (BFI) has decided the ASBC (Asian Boxing Confederation) Asian Elite Men’s and Women’s Boxing Championships 2021 in Dubai. The tournament will now be organized by the BFI in association with the UAE Boxing Federation.
Asian Boxing Confederation (ASBC):
- President: Anas Alotaiba
- Chairman: Kishen Narsi
Boxing Federation of India (BFI)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- President: Ajay Singh
- Founded: 25 February 1949
May 2 and 3 CA One-liner:
|1. World Tuna Day – 2 May|
|2. World Laughter Day – 2 May|
|3. World Press Freedom Day – 3 April
2021 Theme: “Information as a Public Good”
|4. Indian Army inaugurates first green solar energy harnessing plant of 56 KVA in North Sikkim|
|5. India-UK launches ‘Roadmap 2030’ at a virtual summit|
|6. World’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge opens in Portugal|
|7. SIDBI launches quick credit delivery schemes ‘SHWAS’ and ‘AROG’ to support COVID-19 preparedness|
|8. Gemini Partners with Mastercard to Launch new crypto rewards credit card|
|9. CtrlS Datacenters partners with Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance for strategic technology solutions|
|10. Anand Mahindra launches ‘Oxygen on Wheels’ to tackle COVID-19 crisis|
|11. RBI appoints T Rabi Sankar as its one of the Deputy Governor|
|12. Kotak Mahindra Life appoints Mahesh Balasubramanian as its Managing Director|
|13. Former Kerala Minister R Balakrishna Pillai passed away at 86|
|14. Actor Bikramjeet Kanwarpal passed away at 52|
|15. Assam’s first female IAS officer Parul Debi Das passed away at|
|16. Sitar maestro Pandit Devabrata Chaudhuri passed away at 85|
|17. ASBC Asian Men’s & Women’s Boxing Championships 2021 relocated to Dubai from New Delhi|