DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: May 11, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (May 11, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
First Apache Helicopter formally handed over to the IAF:
- Apache Guardian helicopter was formally handed over to the Indian Air Force at Boeing production facility in Mesa, Arizona, USA. Air Marshal AS Butola, represented the Indian Air Force and accepted the first Apache in a ceremony at Boeing production facility, representatives from US Government were also present.
UN to hold 2020 ocean conference in Lisbon:
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) decided to hold its 2020 high-level conference in Portugal’s Lisbon from June 2 to 6, 2020 to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources.
- With a Theme of “Scaling up ocean action based on science and innovation for the implementation of Goal 14: stocktaking, partnerships and solutions.”
Japan Tests World’s Fastest-ever Alfa-X Bullet Train Capable of Reaching 400 kmph:
- Japan has started testing its fastest-ever bullet train ALFA-X version of the Shinkansen train began three years, capable of reaching 400 kilometres per hour (249 mph) as it continues to develop the revolutionary mode of travel.
2019 Meetings of the COPs to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions:
- In Geneva International Conference Centre (CICG) Geneva, Switzerland, the 14th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Basel Convention (BC COP-14), the 9th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Rotterdam Convention (RC COP-9) and the 9th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Stockholm Convention (SC COP-9) held from April 29 to May 10, 2019.
- The theme of the meeting was “Clean Planet, Healthy People: Sound Management of Chemicals and Waste”.
RANKING/ REPORTS BY VARIOUS ORGANISATIONS
US government released Global Health Security Strategy:
- The US government has released first of its kind “Global Health Security Strategy”.
- The objective is to prevent, detect and respond to threats from infectious diseases occurring naturally or accidently and make efforts to help improve the world’s ability to stop and contain deadly outbreaks before they spread to other countries.
Tijjani Bande hopeful of becoming UN General Assembly president:
- Professor Tijjani Mohammad Bande has been appointed as the new President of the United Nations General Assembly. His appointment was announced by María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés, outgoing president of UNGA at a press conference in Abuja.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Oscar-winning Actress Anne Hathaway Receives a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame:
- Actress Anne Hathaway was honoured with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, while promoting her new movie “The Hustle” in Los Angeles, US.
Croatian World Cupper Igor Stimac set to be appointed Indian football team coach:
- Former Croatia international and manager Igor Stimac will be appointed as the Indian men’s team coach after the All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) technical committee recommended him for the post.
Yaya Toure announces retirement from football:
- Yaya Toure has retired from professional football after a successful career in which he represented sides such as Barcelona and Manchester City.
- The Ivorian won many trophies in his career, most notably the Champions League with Barcelona in 2008/09 and the African Cup of Nations in 2015, as well as two LaLiga Santander titles and three titles in England.
IMPORTANT EVENTS OF THE DAY
World Migratory Bird Day: 11th May
- The World Migratory Bird Day for 2019 is observed on May 11. It is celebrated twice in the year, which falls on the second Saturday in May and October. In 2019, it will be celebrated on May 11 and October 10.
- Theme of 2019: ‘Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution’.
National Technology Day 2019: 11th May
- Every year on May 11, National Technology Day is observed in India to mark India’s technological advancements. It also emphasizes the importance of science in our day-to-day life. This day marks the remembrance of the successful launch of Shakti-I nuclear missile at Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan on May 11, 1998.
ITC’s YC Deveshwar passes away:
- YC Deveshwar, as he was popularly called, helped ITC to diversify from a cigarette major to other sectors. He passed away after a brief illness in a private hospital at Gurugram. He was 72.
Yakshagana ‘bhagawatha’ Nebburu passes away:
- Noted Yakshagana ‘bhagawatha’ (singer) Nebburu Narayana Hegde passed away in his residence at Nebburu in Sirsi Taluk of Uttara Kannada on Saturday. He was 83.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL