DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 20, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 20 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Bee Day- 20 May:
- To raise awareness of the importance of pollinators, the threats they face and their contribution to sustainable development, the UN designated 20 May as World Bee Day. The goal is to strengthen measures aimed at protecting bees and other pollinators.
- World Bee Day 2020 theme is “Save the Bees”.
World Metrology Day- 20 May:
- World Metrology Day is observed on 20 May. World Metrology Day project is realized jointly by the BIPM and the OIML.
- The theme for World Metrology Day 2020 is “Measurements for Global Trade”.
Government launches National Test Abhyas mobile app for candidates to take mock tests for JEE Main and NEET:
- Union HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank launched a new mobile app named – the “National Test Abhyas”. The App has been developed by National Testing Agency-NTA to enable candidates to take mock tests for upcoming exams such as JEE Main and NEET.
Jammu and Kashmir government promotes e-learning under Samagra Shiksha to facilitate students during lockdown:
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has initiated a slew of measures under its “Samagra Shiksha programme” to facilitate students with complete access to education through technological interventions and other viable means in the wake of the COVID-19 lockdown.
Army’s “Game-Changing” Proposal To Allow 3-Year Tenure For Civilians:
- The Army is considering a proposal to allow civilians, including young working professionals, to join the force for three years as officers and in other ranks in areas like logistics and front-line formations.
- Initially, 100 officers and 1,000 men are being considered for recruitment. The proposal suggests several measures to incentivize this scheme like a tax-free income for 3 years.
Ministry Of Housing and Urban Affairs announces results of Star rating of garbage free cities:
- Ministry Of Housing and Urban Affairs (MOHUA) announced the results of the Star Rating of Garbage Free Cities, for the assessment year 2019-2020, where 6 Cities were rated 5 Star, 65 Cities rated 3 Star and 70 Cities rated 1 Star out of 141 cities & also launched the revised protocol for the Star Rating of Garbage Free Cities.
- The government released a rating of cities for their garbage management, giving the top “5-star garbage-free” tag to six cities including Ambikapur, Indore, Navi Mumbai, Rajkot, Surat and A total of 141 cities have been rated and 70 cities got 1-star.
Jaipur based company ‘Club First’ develops India’s first service robots “Sona 1.5 and Sona .5”:
- Jaipur-based company ‘Club First’ has developed India’s first service robots named as “Sona 1.5 and Sona .5” to help health workers in conducting a thermal screening of the people amid COVID-19 crisis.
- The robot which is 95 per cent made in India is the first in the world to be based on spine technology.
- Chief Minister:Ashok Gehlot
- Governor:Kalraj Mishra
Uttar Pradesh govt presents Rs 5.12 lakh cr budget in state assembly:
- The Uttar Pradesh government presented a Rs 5,12,860.72 crore budget for FY 2020-21 in the state assembly. The size of the budget is Rs 33,159 crore more than the last year’s budget, has provisions worth Rs 10,967.87 crore for new schemes.
- Finance Minister of Uttar Pradesh: Suresh Kumar Khanna.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
Punjab govt promulgates ‘Punjab Good Conduct Prisoners Amendment Ordinance, 2020’:
- Punjab Government promulgated ‘The Punjab Good Conduct Prisoners (Temporary Release) Amendment Ordinance, 2020. As per new provisions, the temporary release of the prisoners has been allowed beyond the maximum period of 16 weeks in a calendar year.
- Cooperation & Jails Minister, Punjab: Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa.
- Chief Minister:Captain Amarinder Singh
- Governor: V P Singh Badnore
J&K starts an initiative SUKOON’ – COVID-19 Beat the Stress:
- In order to spread awareness about the psychological impact of lockdown and measures to be adopted to overcome them, Department of Information and Public Relations, Jammu and Kashmir has started an initiative ‘SUKOON’ – COVID-19 Beat the Stress”.
- It is to ensure that people stay mentally fit & cope with fears.
Jammu and Kashmir
- Capital: Srinagar (summer), Jammu (winter)
- Governor: Girish Chandra Murmu
India provides USD 2 million aid to UN agency working for Palestinian refugees:
- India, by the ROI, has given $2 million in aid to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency working for the welfare of Palestinian refugees in support of its core programmes and services, including education and health, amidst the coronavirus crisis.
Nepal approves new map including Lipulekh, Kalapani, Limpiyadhura amidst border row with India:
- Nepal’s Cabinet has endorsed a new political map showing Lipulekh, Kalapani and Limpiyadhura under its territory, amidst a border dispute with India.
- The move announced by Foreign Minister Pradeep Kumar Gyawali came weeks after he said that efforts were on to resolve the border issue with India through diplomatic initiatives.
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Napalese Rupee
- Prime Minister: KP Sharma Oli
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
Science and Technology:
South Central Railway develops robotic device to assist in patients care in hospitals:
- South Central Railway zone has developed a robotic device, “RAIL-BOT” (R-BOT) to assist in hospital management functions towards patient care during the pandemic. It is used to provide medicines, medical accessories without any need for physical contact.
- It holds sensor-based features to read the body temperature.
Disney’s Head of Streaming Is appointed as C.E.O of TikTok:
- The Walt Disney Company’s top streaming executive, Kevin Mayer, resigned to become the chief executive of Tik Tok, a Chinese-owned company.
- The app is used for making and sharing videos that have exploded in popularity during the coronavirus pandemic.
Dilip Oommen is new President of Indian Steel Association:
- Dilip Oommen, CEO, Arcelor Mittal Nippon Steel India has taken over as President of the Indian Steel Association (ISA). He is appointed to the position for the next 2 years. His appointment comes after the resignation of T V Narendran, MD of Tata Steel.
- Indian Steel Association is headquartered in New Delhi.
Awards and Recognitions:
India’s Chief Hydrographer Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar wins UK award:
- Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar, the National Hydrographer to the government of India, has been honoured with the 2019 Alexander Dalrymple Award in recognition of his outstanding contribution to Indian hydrography and across the wider Indian Ocean region.
Marathi writer, playwright, Ratnakar Matkari passes away:
- Veteran Marathi writer and playwright Ratnakar Matkari, 81, who tested positive for Covid-19, passed away. He is considered a pioneer of the children’s drama movement in Marathi.
Actor Sai Gundewar passed away at 42:
- Actor Sai Gundekar passed away at the age of 42 years due to brain cancer in the United States(U.S), who was known for his appearances in shows like Survivor and Splitsvilla, as well as acting in films PK and Rock On!.
Veteran Musician Purushothaman passes away
- Veteran Drums player, music conductor and percussionist Purushothaman passed away. He was 65 years old and has been working with Isai Gnani Ilayaraja for over 40 years.
Spritual leader Dev Prabhakar Shastri, popularly called ‘Daddaji’ passes away:
Noted spiritual leader Dev Prabhakar Shastri, popularly called ‘Daddaji’, passed away after lung and kidney ailments.He was from Madhya Pradesh.
Anil Kumble-led ICC Committee calls for ban on saliva to shine ball:
- Anil Kumble-led panel ICC Cricket Committee recommended banning the use of saliva to shine the ball among several other changes to ICC regulations to mitigate the risks posed by the COVID-19 virus.
- The committee also recommended that two non-neutral umpires (both from the host nation) should be appointed for a short period of time.
International Cricket Council (ICC):
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- Chairman: Shashank Manohar.
- CEO: Manu Sawhney.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.