DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 21, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 21 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Tea Day : 21 May
- International Tea Day observed on 21 May of on every year. It promote and foster collective actions to implement activities in favour of the sustainable production and consumption of tea and raise awareness of its importance in fighting hunger and poverty.
- There is evidence that tea was consumed in China 5,000 yrs ago.
National Anti-Terrorism Day- May 21:
- May 21 is observed as Anti-terrorism day across India .The objective behind the observance of Anti-Terrorism Day is to spread the message of peace, humanity, unity and harmony among the people and make them aware about anti-social act of terrorism.
Uttar Pradesh launches start-up fund, signs MoU with SIDBI to promote aspiring entrepreneurs:
- In order to mobilize the youth of the state towards entrepreneurship, UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched the ‘Uttar Pradesh Startup Fund’ handing over the first installment of Rs 15 crore to Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI).
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI):
- Headquarters: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Chairman & Managing Director (MD): Mohammad Mustafa.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
Health Minister Harsh Vardhan to Step Up as Head of WHO Executive Board:
- Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan is set to take over as the chairman of the Executive Board of the World Health Organization. The board consists of 34 members and India’s health minister will be succeeding Japan’s Dr Hiroki Nakatani.
- The proposal to appoint a nominee from India as the new chairman of the WHO Executive Board was reportedly signed by the World Health Assembly consisting of 194 nations.
”Tatpar” scheme in Ranchi to transport migrant workers:
- ‘Tatpar’ programme was launched by the Ranchi district, Jharkhand administration to ease their tiresome journey on foot.
- Under the programme, officials collect information about those walking on national highways or on any other road to provide them transport facilities.
- Capital: Ranchi
- Chief Minister: Hemant Soren
- Governor: Draupadi Murmu
‘Mee Annapurna’ initiative launched for farmers welfare across Maharashtra:
- Government of Maharashtra announced a 3 year empanelment of insurance companies and intermediaries for implementation of crop insurance scheme, the Integrated Risk Insurance Brokers Limited (IRIBL), announced ‘Mee Annapurna’ for farmers welfare across Maharashtra
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Government approves use of Coir Geotextiles for rural road building:
- Government approved the use of Coir Geotextile in rural road construction and it will give a big boost to the coir industry, Union Minister for Road Transport and Medium Small Micro Enterprises ( MSME) Nitin Gadkari.
- Coir Geotextiles will be used for the construction of rural roads under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY-III).
- About 1674 km road will be constructed using Coir Geo textiles in 7 states namely- Andhra Pradesh ,Gujarat, Kerala , Maharashtra, Odisha, Tamil Nadu and Telengana with a cost of around 70 Crore.
Ministry of Defence inks MoU with eGov Foundation for online management of Cantonment Boards:
- Ministry of Defence has signed an MoU with eGov Foundation for online management of Cantonment Boards. The joint initiative sees Directorate General Defence Estates (DGDE), Ministry of Defence and eGov Foundation working together to drive e-governance.
Rajiv Gandhi University to host Central Centre of Excellence on Sports Science Education and Research:
- Union Youth Affairs and Sports Ministry has selected Rajiv Gandhi University (RGU) at Rono Hills, Arunachal Pradesh to establish a centre of excellence on Sports Science Education and Research under the ministry’s scheme of National Centre of Sports Sciences and Research (NCSSR).
- However, this reduction in contribution will not be applicable to Central and State PSUs (public sector undertakings) or to establishments controlled by Government or State Governments.
Banking and Economy:
Kotak Mahindra Bank becomes first Indian lender to allow video KYC:
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has introduced video-KYC facility for customers opening savings account on Kotak 811 – the banks digital banking platform. The private lender is the first Indian bank to offer video based “zero-contact” onboarding service.
Kotak Mahindra Bank
- CEO: Uday Kotak.
- Headquarters: Mumbai.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Microsoft acquires Softomotive to expand low-code robotic process automation capabilities:
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella confirmed that the company has acquired Softomotive, a software robotic automation platform. It would become part of Microsoft’s Power Automate platform.
WHO and International Olympic Committee sign MoU to promote health through sport:
International Olympic Committee (IOC) and WHO Director signed a new Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) at the WHO headquarters in Geneva. The two organizations have been working together since 1984, leading numerous joint initiatives.
International Olympic Committee:
- Headquarters- Lausanne, Switzerland
- President- Thomas Bach
World Health Organisation:
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Head: Tedros Adhanom
- Founded: 7 April 1948
Flipkart partners with Bajaj Allianz to offer digital motor insurance to its customers:
- Flipkart partnered with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company (BAGIC) to offer digital motor insurance policy to customers of e-commerce major. This enables consumers to purchase the motor-insurance policy using the Flipkart mobile application.
Science and Technology:
Tata Motors’ JLR rolls out first Range Rover made under social distancing measures:
- The first Range Rover made under new social distancing measures in place to combat coronavirus drove off the production line at the Tata Motors’ owned Jaguar Land Rover’s manufacturing plant in Solihull in the West Midlands region of England following a recent temporary pause in production due to the pandemic.
Moeketsi Majoro sworn in as Lesotho’s new prime minister:
- Moeketsi Majoro has been sworn in as Lesotho’s prime minister following the resignation of his embattled predecessor, Thomas Thabane.
- Majoro, who was previously served as the finance minister of the country, took the oath at the king’s palace in front of dignitaries.
- Capital: Maseru
- Currency: Lesotho loti
Ayush Secretary Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha gets two years extension:
- Ayurveda expert Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha has got two years extension as the secretary, Ministry of Ayush. He was in 2017 appointed special secretary in the Ministry of Ayush (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) for three years.
Franklin Templeton appoints Kotak Mahindra Bank to assist in monetization of assets of six shut schemes:
- Franklin Templeton Trustee Services has appointed Kotak Mahindra Bank as an independent adviser to assist Franklin Templeton Asset Management (India) Private Ltd with all portfolio actions in six funds being wound up, including monetising their assets.
Govinda Rajulu Chintala appointed as chairman of NABARD:
- The Appointments Committee of the Union Cabinet has appointed Govinda Rajulu Chintala as the Chairman of National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- He is presently serving as the Chief General Manager at NABARD and will remain on the post till his superannuation in July 2022. Presently, Harsh Kumar Bhanwala is serving as the Chairman of NABARD.
- Shaji K V andV.S Suryakumar have been appointed as Deputy Managing Directors (DMD) of NABARD.
Rajesh Goel appointed as director general of NAREDCO:
- Realtors body National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO) has appointed Rajesh Goel as director general (DG) of the association.
- Earlier, Goel was serving as the chairman and managing director, Hindustan Prefab Ltd.
NAREDCO (National Real Estate Development Council):
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Chairman: Rajeev Talwar
- President: Niranjan Hiranandani
Awards and Recognitions:
Tom Hanks, ‘Game of Thrones,’ Cardi B, LeBron James Among Winners: Webby Awards:
- Jimmy Fallon, Greta Thunberg, Malala Yousafzai, Tom Hanks, Cardi B, LeBron James, Lil Nas X, Dolly Parton, Ronan Farrow, Game of Thrones and Celine Dion are among the winners of the 24th annual Webby Awards, which honor the best of the web.
Webby Award for Celebrity/Fan (Social)
- The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Webby Award for Email Newsletters (Websites)
- The Malala Fund
Webby People’s Voice Award for Arts & Entertainment (Social)
- #NiceTweets with Tom Hanks
Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Fashion & Lifestyle (Video)
- Reebok x Cardi B | Nails
Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Events & Livestreams (Video)
- The Intercept’s Greta Thunberg on the Climate Fight: “If We Can Save the Banks, Then We Can Save the World”
Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Public Service & Activism (Video)
- #NatureNow with Greta Thunberg
Webby People’s Voice Award for Science & Education (Podcasts)
- Science Rules! With Bill Nye
Webby Award for Best User Interface (Websites)
- ESPN’s Welcome to Bron Bron Land
Webbys People’s Voice Award for Best Art Direction (Video)
- Lil Nas X, “Panini”
Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Best Mini Series (Podcasts)
- Dolly Parton’s America
Webby Award for Comedy (Video)
- Squarespace’s Make It With Idris Elba
Webby People’s Voice Award for Fashion & Beauty (Social)
- Fenty Beauty by Rihanna
Webby Award for Entertainment (Video)
- The Late Late Show With James Corden
Webby Award for Volumetric/6-Degrees of Freedom (Video)
- Game of Thrones: The Dead Must Die Magic Leap Experience
Webby People’s Voice Award for Best Host (Podcasts)
- The Catch and Kill Podcast With Ronan Farrow
Webby People’s Voice Award for Experimental & Innovation (Social)
- Celine Dion
Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Best Individual Episode (Podcasts)
- HBO’s The Chernobyl Podcast
Books and Authors:
Ruskin Bond’s new book ‘Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes’ released on his 86th birthday:
- The book is titled Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes authored by Ruskin Bond. He turned 86 and he celebrated it by releasing a new book which takes the audience through his adventures on boats, trains and planes.
- In this book, Ruskin Bond narrates the most memorable travel adventures from his childhood. The illustrations are made by Samrat Halder and published by Speaking Tiger’s children’s imprint Talking Cub.
Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias passes away at 74:
- Renowned Christian apologist and author Ravi Zacharias passed away at the age of 74. Zacharias was born in the south Indian city of Madras (now Chennai) in 1946, into an Anglican family. In 1984, he founded Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (RZIM).
Eminent homeopathic doctor S. Vidyaprakash passes away:
- Eminent homeopathic doctor S. Vidyaprakash (60) passed away. He is the son of Alappuzha native and Akkarakkattil family member Dr. KS Prakash and and Dr Vidyavathy Amma. KS Prakash was the former principal of Kozhikode Homeo College.
Spiritual leader Dev Prabhakar Shastri dies in Katni:
- Noted spiritual leader Dev Prabhakar Shastri, popularly called ”Daddaji”, died night at ”Daddadham” in Katni in Madhya Pradesh.He was undergoing treatment in Delhi and was 82 years old.
NADA provisionally suspends Savita Kumari, Ankit Shishodia for violating anti-doping rules:
- National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) provisionally suspended powerlifters Savita Kumari and Ankit Shisodia for violating anti-doping rules.
- Athletes were given an opportunity to present themselves before the Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel (ADDP) and explain their cases on the date and time fixed by the panel for a hearing.
National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA):
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
- Director-General: Navin Agarwal.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.