DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 24 & 25, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 24& 25 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Commonwealth Day in India- May 24:
- The Commonwealth Day is celebrated in India on May 24. This day is celebrated by all the countries that were once under the reign of the British Empire, Commonwealth Day is celebrated on the birth date of Queen Victoria, who was born on May 24, 1819.
International Missing Children’s Day: 25 May
- International Missing Children’s Day is observed on May 25. In 2001, 25 May was first formally recognized as International Missing Children’s Day (IMCD), a joint effort on the part of ICMEC, Missing Children Europe and European Commission.
Chhattisgarh to observe May 25 as Jhiram tribute day:
- Chhattisgarh government will observe May 25 as ‘Jhiram Shraddhanjali Diwas’ to pay tribute to Congress leaders who were killed in a Maoist attack in Bastar district on this day in 2013 as well as other victims of Naxal violence.
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: AnusuiyaUikey
Government releases Rs 170 crore as MGNREGA wages:
- Department of Rural Development & Panchayati Raj has disbursed Rs 170 Cr into the accounts of beneficiaries under MGNREGA. It has disbursed around Rs 183 crore to benefit the poor which have been otherwise rendered jobless due to the prevailing lockdown.
- MGNREGA scheme was introduced in the year 2006.
Madhya Pradesh CM to inaugurate ‘Everybody will get employment’ scheme:
- In Madhya Pradesh, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan will inaugurate the ‘Everybody will get employment’ scheme through video conferencing. Under this scheme, MNREGA job cards will be distributed to the labourers.
- Under ‘Shram Siddhi Abhiyan’, labourers will be registered under skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled categories and work will be provided.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Lal Ji Tandon
Andhra Pradesh CM launches Rs 1,110 crores ‘ReStart’ to revive MSME sector:
- Andhra Pradesh government launches ReStart to revive MSME sector Andhra Pradesh(AP)’s Chief Minister(CM) S. Jagan Mohan Reddy has launched Rs 1,110 crores ‘ReStart’ a new programme to support & boost the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise(MSME) sector in the State.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Sports Authority Gujarat sign an MoU TCLL to train 2000 athletes:
- Sports Authority Gujarat signed an MoU with the Times Centre for Learning Limited (TCLL) to impart training for personality and skill development for aspiring athletes in the state. This will be the first-of-its-kind training in the State.
- The MoU aims to train over 2000 young and aspiring athletes across Gujarat in areas such as Anand, Nadiad, Tapi, Porbandar, Surat, and Himmat Nagar.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Government launches five initiatives on International Day of Biodiversity:
International Day for Biological Diversity, Union Environment, Forest, and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar launched five key initiatives towards conservation of biodiversity.
- This year’s International Day for Biological Diversity theme is “Our solutions are in nature”.
- The “Biodiversity Samrakshan Internship Programme” was launched. It aims at engaging 20 students in post graduate programme for a period of 1 year.
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) campaign called Illegal Trafficking of Endangered Species was launched. The campaign is called “Not All Animals Migrate by Choice”.
- The Wildlife Crime Control Bureau campaign called Not All Animals Migrate by Choice was launched.
- A Webinar series was launched. The series was on “Biodiversity Conservation and Biological Diversity Act, 2002”.
- The World Wildlife Fund Model Conference of Parties was launched. It includes younger generation. This will engage them towards imprint of humanity towards biodiversity.
India’s steel output declined by 65%: World Steel report:
- World Steel Association released the World Steel Report. According to the report, the crude steel report of India declined by 65%. During April 2020, the steel output of India was 3.13 million tonnes.
- The report also says that the global steel output declined by 13%. In April 2019, the global steel output was 67 million tonnes. In April 2020, the output declined to 137.09 million tonnes.
World Steel Association:
- Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Indian Tobacco Company signs Share Purchase Agreement to acquire Sunrise Foods:
- The ITC (Indian Tobacco Company) Limited has entered into a Share Purchase Agreement to acquire 100% of equity share capital of Sunrise Foods Private Ltd, dealing with spices, under the trademark ‘Sunrise’. The ITC’s Aashirvaad is one of leading producers and exporters of spices.
Indian Tobacco Company:
- CEO: Sanjiv Puri.
- Headquarters: Kolkata.
Fintech startup Zaggle ties up with Visa for innovative payments solutions for SMEs:
- Fintech startup Zaggle partnered with payments technology major Visa to launch innovative payment solutions. Under this, both companies will jointly create solutions for small and medium enterprises and start-ups to improve productivity and efficiency.
Maruti Suzuki ties up with Cholamandalam Investment & Finance; launches ‘Buy-Now-Pay-Later Offer’:
- Maruti Suzuki India partnered with Cholamandalam Investment & Finance Company Ltd to provide customised auto retail financing solutions to retail buyers. The new solution ‘Buy-Now-Pay-Later Offer’ is aimed to provide customers with easy financing options.
Indian economist Abhas Jha appointed as World Bank’s Practice Manager for Climate Change in South Asia:
- Abhas Jha has been appointed by the World Bank to a key position on climate change and disaster management in South Asia, the global lender said. Jha’s appointment comes at a time when Cyclone Amphan has badly hit West Bengal, Odisha in India & Bangladesh..
Awards and Recognitions:
United Nations: India’s KHUDOL declared one of Top 10 Global Initiatives to fight COVID-19:
- United Nations listed the KHUDOL initiative of Manipur as one of the top 10 global initiatives to fight against COVID-19.
- KHUDOL is an initiative of a NGO called Ya All. Under the initiative, the NGO provides food, hygiene and health of LGBTQ community, daily wage workers, people with AIDS.
HSL India Wins ET Iconic Brand for Year 2019-20:
- Hahnemann Scientific Laboratory (India) Pvt Ltd, popularly known as HSL (India) wins Economic Times Iconic Brand for the year 2019-20.
- As a yearly ritual, Economic Times brings together the most iconic brands that have gained traction not just in India but also globally for their track record of excellence, in the process carving out a distinct identity that resonated with audiences.
Science and Technology:
Australian researchers achieve world’s fastest Internet speeds:
- Researchers from Monash, Swinburne, and RMIT universities of Australia have successfully tested and recorded the world’s fastest internet data speed.
- The researchers achieved this from a single optical chip – capable of downloading 1000 high definition movies in a split second, as per the Swinburne Insitute’s official release.
Naomi Osaka becomes world’s highest-paid female athlete:
- Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka has become the highest-paid female athlete in the world, topping American great Serena Williams. Osaka earned $37.4 million in the last twelve months from prize money and endorsements, $1.4 million more than Williams.
Jharkhand Congress MLA Rajendra Prasad Singh dies at 75:
- Rajendra Prasad Singh, the Congress MLA of Bermo constituency of Bokaro district and former Health and Finance Minister of Jharkhand died due to illness in a hospital in Gurugram. Mr Singh represented the Bermo Assembly for the sixth time.
Former Tamil Nadu football player and coach R Shanmugam passes away:
- Former Tamil Nadu football player and coach R Shanmugam passed away due to age-related illness. Shanmugam had also played for Mohun Bagan in 1968.
Three-time Olympic gold medal winner Balbir Singh Sr passes away:
- One of India’s greatest hockey players, Balbir Singh Sr, died at a hospital here on Monday after battling multiple health issues for over two weeks. The legend was 96 and is survived by his daughter Sushbir and three sons Kanwalbir, Karanbir, and Gurbir.
Spanish Striker Aritz Aduriz Announces Retirement from Football:
- Athletic Bilbao striker Aritz Aduriz announced retirement from football. He played for Spanish clubs Valladolid, Mallorca and Valencia, and is club’s sixth-highest scorer with 172 goals.
- He was a member of Spain’s squad at the 2016 European Championship.
US tennis star Jamie Hampton announces retirement:
- Former World Top 25 and US tennis star Jamie Hampton has announced her retirement from professional tennis.
- The 30-year-old last played an official match six years ago, as she suffered numerous injuries after reaching a career-high ranking of World No.24 in July of 2013.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.