Daily Current Affairs: May 30 & 31, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (May 30 & 31, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World No Tobacco Day –31 May
- World No Tobacco Day is observed globally on 31 May every year. The day aims to create awareness among people about the hazardous diseases that can be caused due to smoking. The day was created by World Health Organization (WHO) in 1987.
- 2021 Theme: “Commit to Quit”
Union Ministry of Education launches YUVA-PrimeMinister’s Scheme for Mentoring Young Authors
- The Union Ministry of Education has launched ‘YUVA-Prime Minister’s Scheme for Mentoring Young Authors’ − an author mentorship programme to train young and budding authors below the age of 30.
- The YUVA (Young, Upcoming and Versatile Authors) is aimed to encourage young writers to write about India’s freedom struggle.
Jammu & Kashmir becomes the first UT to provide relief to COVID-19 victims’ families under the Saksham scheme
- Jammu and Kashmir became the first Union Territory to provide relief to COVID-19 affected families under the Saksham scheme. The Saksham scheme was launched to provide special pensions and scholarships to COVID-19 victims’ families.
- Under the Saksham scheme, the surviving spouse and one eldest surviving member of the affected families will receive a special monthly pension of Rs. 1,000 through DBT (Direct Benefit Transfer).
Jammu and Kashmir
- Capital: Srinagar (Summer), Jammu (Winter)
- Lt. Governor: Manoj Sinha
- National Parks: Hemis National Park, City Forest (Salim Ali) National Park, Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar National Park
- Wildlife Sanctuaries: Changthang Cold Desert Wildlife Sanctuary, Gulmarg Wildlife Sanctuary, Jasrota Wildlife Sanctuary, Baltal-Thajwas Wildlife Sanctuary, Karakoram (Nubra Shyok) Wildlife Sanctuary
- Lakes: Mansar Lake, Nagin Lake, Wular Lake, Surinsar Lake, Dal Lake
Union Ministry of Education approves proposal to provide monetary assistance to students under mid-day meal scheme
- Union Minister for Education Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ approved the proposal to provide monetary assistance to 11.8 crore students (118 million students) through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) of the cooking cost component of the mid-day-meal scheme.
- All eligible children will get approximately 100 under the one-time welfare measure. The Union Government will provide additional funds of about Rs. 1200 crores to state governments and UT administrations for the mid-day meal scheme.
Mid-day Meal Scheme (MDM):
- The Mid-day Meal Scheme is a school meal programme in India designed to better the nutritional standing of school-age children nationwide. It was launched in 1995.
Tamil Nadu Government announces Rs. 5 lakh fixed deposit for children who lost parents to COVID-19
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin has announced that an amount of Rs. 5 lakhs would be deposited to the account of each orphaned child and would be given to the child with interest when the child attains 18 years of age.
- Children, who lost either parent due to COVID-19 will get a relief amount of Rs. 3 lakhs will be given to the living parent. The Tamil Nadu Government also plans to pay Rs. 3000 per month to the relatives who have custody of the orphaned children.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: MK Stalin
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
- National Parks: Mukurthi National Park, Guindy National Park, Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) National Park, Mudumalai National Park
NATO conducts war games ‘Steadfast Defender 21’
- NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) is conducting war games named ‘Steadfast Defender 21’ across the Black Sea region.
- The war games is conducted to improve the ability of the Allied forces to move quickly across the Atlantic and Europe to protect each other.
North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO)
- Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
- Secretary-General: Jens Stoltenberg
- Deputy Secretary-General: Mircea Geoană
Assimi Goita was appointed as the interim President of Mali
- Mali’s constitutional court has named colonel Assimi Goita as Mali’s new interim President. He has been serving as the leader of the National Committee for the Salvation of the People, who overthrew Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta in the 2020 Military coup.
- Capital: Bamako
- Currency: West African CFA Franc
- President (Interim): Assimi Goita
Banking and Economy
ZebPay launches first crypto-based lending platform in India
- ZebPay has set up a crypto-lending platform that will allow users to lend their coins to the cryptocurrency exchange. The platform is a first-of-its-kind crypto lending model in India and will allow users to lend their cryptocurrency to ZebPay and earn interest.
- The fixed-term plan will allow investors to lend their crypto for seven-day, 30-day, 60-day and 90-day periods, with the rate of return varying for each.
Canara Bank launches 3 loan schemes amid the fight against COVID-19
- Canara Bank announced three loan schemes as part of the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic under which it will offer healthcare credit, business and personal loans to individuals.
- The 3 loan schemes are the Canara Chikitsa healthcare credit facility, Canara Jeevanrekha healthcare business loan and Canara Suraksha personal loan scheme.
- The Canara Chikitsa healthcare credit facility will offer loans from over Rs. 10 lakhs to Rs. 50 crores to registered hospitals, nursing homes, medical practitioners, diagnostic centres, pathology labs and all other units engaged in the servicing healthcare infrastructure.
- The Canara Jeevanrekha healthcare business loan will offer loans up to Rs. 2 crores at a concessional interest rate for the manufacture and supply of healthcare products such as medical oxygen and oxygen cylinders.
- The Canara Suraksha personal loan scheme will offer loans from Rs. 25,000 – Rs. 5 lakhs as immediate financial assistance to customers for COVID-19 treatment during admission or post-discharge.
Science and Technology
IIT Guwahati researchers design “smart windows” to cut carbon emissions
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati researchers have developed smart window materials for automatic climate control of buildings. Such smart window materials would help to develop efficient automatic climate control systems in buildings. The smart window ‘glasses’ were designed by using noble metals.
Bellatrix Aerospace successfully tests India’s first privately built hall thruster
- Bengaluru-based space-tech startup Bellatrix Aerospace has successfully tested India’s first privately built Hall Thruster. Hall Thruster is a highly efficient electric propulsion system for satellites weighing 50 to 500 kg.
- The hall thruster test was carried out at the spacecraft propulsion research laboratory in the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru.
The Indian Broadcasting Foundation appoints former Justice Vikramjit Sen as its Chairman
- Former Supreme Court Judge, Justice Vikramjit Sen was appointed as the Chairman of the newly formed self-regulatory body Digital Media Content Regulatory Council (DMCRC) for digital OTT (over-the-top) platforms. It was formed by the Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF).
- The apex body of broadcasters, the Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF) is to be renamed as the Indian Broadcasting & Digital Foundation (IBDF).
Awards and Recognitions
Hong Kong mountaineer Tsang Yin-hung becomes the fastest woman to scale Mount Everest
- The 44-year-old Former Hong Kong school teacher Tsang Yin-hung scaled Mount Everest (8,848.86 m) in 25 hours and 50 minutes. She became the fastest woman mountaineer to climb Mount Everest.
- The 75-year-old Arthur Muir became the oldest American to climb the world’s highest peak (Mount Everest) at 8,848.86 metres (29,031 feet).
Jordan Clarkson wins 2020–21 Kia NBA Sixth Man Award
- Jazz guard Jordan Clarkson was named the 2020–21 Kia NBA Sixth Man of the Year award. This is the first Sixth Man honour for Clarkson, who becomes the first player to win the annual award with the Jazz.
Books and Authors
A new book titled “Savarkar: A Contested Legacy (1924–1966)” was authored by Vikram Sampath
- A new book titled “Savarkar: A Contested Legacy (1924–1966)” was authored by Vikram Sampath. The book was published by Penguin Random House India.
Ravi Shastri’s debut book titled ‘Stargazing: The Players in My Life’ to be released in June 2021
- Cricket commentator and Indian cricket team coach, Ravi Shastri has penned a book titled ‘Stargazing: The Players in My Life’. The book will be published by HarperCollins India on 27 May 2021.
Padma Shri awardee and former Anna University Vice-Chancellor M Anandakrishnan passed away at 93
- Renowned educationist M Anandakrishnan passed away at the age of 93. He served as Vice-Chancellor of Anna University and was Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
- He was honoured with Padma Shri in 2002. He also served as Chief Science Officer in the United Nations in New York.
Former Denmark Prime Minister Poul Schlueter passed away at 92
- Former Denmark’s Prime Minister Poul Schlueter, who negotiated exemptions for his country to a key European Union treaty after Danes rejected the initial text in a referendum, passed away. He served as the Prime Minister of Denmark from 1982 to 1993.
Daily CA May 30 and 31 One-liner:
|1. World No Tobacco Day –31 May|
|2. Union Ministry of Education launches YUVA-PrimeMinister’s Scheme for Mentoring Young Authors|
|3. Jammu & Kashmir becomes the first UT to provide relief to COVID-19 victims’ families under the Saksham scheme|
|4. Union Ministry of Education approves proposal to provide monetary assistance to students under mid-day meal scheme|
|5. Tamil Nadu Government announces Rs. 5 lakh fixed deposit for children who lost parents to COVID-19|
|6. NATO conducts war games ‘Steadfast Defender 21’|
|7. Assimi Goita was appointed as the interim President of Mali|
|8. ZebPay launches first crypto-based lending platform in India|
|9. Canara Bank launches 3 loan schemes amid the fight against COVID-19|
|10.IIT Guwahati researchers design “smart windows” to cut carbon emissions|
|11.Bellatrix Aerospace successfully tests India’s first privately built hall thruster|
|12.The Indian Broadcasting Foundation appoints former Justice Vikramjit Sen as its Chairman|
|13.Hong Kong mountaineer Tsang Yin-hung becomes the fastest woman to scale Mount Everest|
|14.Jordan Clarkson wins 2020–21 Kia NBA Sixth Man Award|
|15.A new book titled “Savarkar: A Contested Legacy (1924–1966)” was authored by Vikram Sampath|
|16.Ravi Shastri’s debut book titled ‘Stargazing: The Players in My Life’ to be released in June 2021|
|17.Padma Shri awardee and former Anna University Vice-Chancellor M Anandakrishnan passed away at 93|
|18.Former Denmark Prime Minister Poul Schlueter passed away at 92|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of May 30 & 31, 2021, now from the link given below.