DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 9, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 9, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Migratory Bird Day is observed on 9 May:
- World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) is observed on 9th May in the year 2020.
- The day is globally observed on the second Saturday of May month.
- The day aims to bring attention to the threats faced by migratory birds, their ecological importance.
- The theme of 2020 World Migratory Bird Day is “Birds Connect Our World.”
Gujarat creates a fund of Rs 100 crore for COVID start-ups:
- The Gujarat government has announced to help the start-ups who would join the battle against Covid-19 with their knowledge and expertise by creating a fund of Rs 100 crore.
- As many as 31 such startups are supported by this fund.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Yogi Adityanath launches ‘Pravasi Raahat Mitra’ app for migrant Workers:
- Chief Minister Of Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adityanath launched the ‘Pravasi Raahat Mitra’ mobile application developed by the state revenue department in collaboration with United Nation Development Program to provide support for the migrant workers of Uttar Pradesh in other states to access the advantages of the government schemes.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
Uttar Pradesh becomes first state to provide facility of beds with ventilators in each district:
- Uttar Pradesh has become the first state in the country to provide the facility of beds with ventilators in hospitals of all 75 districts of state.
- In order to curb the spread of COVID-19 in every village through community surveillance, the government has constituted a Village Supervision Committee or Gram Nigrani Samiti.
ASHA workers to get Rs 50 lakh death cover amid Covid-19 outbreak in Chandigarh:
- Accredited social health activists (ASHA workers) families will receive Rs 50 lakh in case they succumb to Covid-19, announced the state health department. They will receive a monthly allowance of Rs 1,000 for performing their duties.
- They will get Rs 1,500 for conducting door-to-door survey.
Tiger population in Sunderbans rises to 96:
- The latest estimation of tiger numbers in the Indian Sunderbans indicates an increase in the population of big cats. According to the West Bengal Forest Department, the tiger count for the year 2019-20 rose to 96, from 88 in 2018-19.
- Sunderbans delta spread over India and Bangladesh.
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar.
TRIFED & Art of Living Foundation collaboration to provide Free Ration Kits to Needy Tribes India Artisans:
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India, TRIFED under Ministry of Tribal Affairs and Art Of Living, AOL Foundation have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to collaborate in programmes of each organisation for promoting Tribal Enterprises.
- The Art of Living Foundation has agreed to provide Free Ration Kits to Needy Tribes India Artisans.
Black panther spotted in Goa’s Netravali sanctuary:
- A Black panther was spotted in Goa’s Netravali sanctuary. While the area is a known habitat of tigers, this is for the first time a Black Panther has been captured in camera in Netravali sanctuary. Netravali is an important tributary of River Zuari.
- Chief Minister:Pramod Sawant
- Governor:Satya Pal Malik
Road construction worth Rs 15 lakh crore in next 2 years; Auto scrapping policy soon: Nitin Gadkari
- A focus on enhancing liquidity in auto business is required by exploring cheaper credits including foreign capital.
- During the meeting it was also informed that MoRTH officials are finalizing the scrappage policy for old vehicles as early as possible that will help in cost reduction.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurates 80 km link road for Kailash Mansarovar through video conferencing:
- Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh has inaugurated 80km strategically crucial road link connecting Lipulekh pass (China Border) with Dharchula in Uttarakhand through video conferencing .
- It will help pilgrims visiting Kailash Mansarovar in Tibet as it is around 90 kms from the Lipulekh pass.
Ministry of Defence:
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Minister of State: Subhash Bhamre
Giriraj Singh awards Startup India-Animal Husbandry Grand Challenge winners:
- Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Giriraj Singh awarded the winners of “Startup India-Animal Husbandry Grand Challenge”.
- The Animal Husbandry Startup Grand Challenge was launched by the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, in partnership with Startup India.
AIIB grants $500 mn loan to India to deal with coronavirus disaster:
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved a loan worth of $500 million for India’s ‘COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project’ to assist nation’s efforts to stop the risk posed by coronavirus (Covid-19).
- Co-financed by the World Bank (WB), the loan will help India to scale up efforts to restrict the transmission of instances, strengthen the public health system.
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB):
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Membership: 78 Members
- President: Jin Liqun
Acquisition and Mergers
Tata Consumer Products ties up with Domino’s Pizza, Zomato to deliver essential goods:
- Tata Consumer Products (TCPL) has partnered with food delivery platforms like Domino’s Pizza and Zomato to strengthen its direct distribution model and ensure steady supply of its essential products. They aim to safeguard people’s health.
ICMR partners India Post for delivery of COVID-19 testing kits to labs:
- India Post has entered into a tie-up with the ICMR for delivery of its COVID-19 testing kits to 200 additional labs designated for coronavirus testing across the country.
- ICMR has set a target of carrying out around 1 lakh tests across the country per day.
- Communications and IT Minister: Ravi Shankar Prasad.
FHRAI collaborates with FSSAI to train hospitality professionals:
- Industry body Federation of Hotel & Restaurant Associations of India (FHRAI) said it has initiated a training programme on COVID-19 preparedness in collaboration with food safety regulator FSSAI for hospitality professionals across the country.
- FSSAI & FHRAI are headquartered in New Delhi.
Volvo partners with Luminar for LiDAR tech; plans to sell self-driving cars by 2022:
- Volvo company is partnering with tech firm Luminar to make use of their LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) & perception technology for the next generation of Volvo cars.
- Next-generation of cars will be built on the SPA 2 modular vehicle architecture that goes into production in 2022.
Science and Technology
Selco launches solar-powered mobile swab collection units:
- Selco Solar Light Pvt Ltd launched a solar-powered solution to help the frontline healthcare workers in rural areas.
- It has installed a solar panel in a mobile swab collection van for the benefit of healthcare workers from Kundapur taluk of Udupi district.
Former Greek health minister, cardiologist Kremastinos passes away:
- Greece’s former health minister, cardiologist and university professor Dimitris Kremastinos, has passed away because of the new coronavirus. He was 78.
- Kremastinos, who was currently serving as parliament vice-president and was a member of the center-left KINAL party.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.