Daily Current Affairs : October 13, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (October 10, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day for Disaster Reduction- October 13:
- International Day for Disaster Reduction is observed on October 13 every year since 1989. The day is celebrated to promote a Global Culture of risk-awareness and disaster reduction and also celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters.
- Theme: “Disaster Risk Governance”
AAI to Develop Greenfield Airport in Arunachal Pradesh’s Hollongi by November 2022:
- Airports Authority of India will develop a greenfield airport at Arunachal Pradesh’s Hollongi, near Itanagar. This airport is expected to be completed by November 2022.
- The estimated cost of the project is 650 crore rupees. It includes development work, construction of airport pavements, air side work, terminal Building and city side works.
- The new domestic airport, with an area of 4,100 square metres, the Hollongi Airport will be able to handle 200 passengers during peak hours. Equipped with eight check-in counters, the terminal building will have all modern passenger facilities.
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor: B.D. Mishra
Nirmala Sitharaman Announces ₹73,000 Crore Measures to Boost Consumer Demand by March 2021:
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman chaired the 43rd GST Council Meeting Virtually. India’s GDP (Gross Domestic Product) contracted a record 23.9 per cent in the April-June as the quarter fully captured the damage caused by the coronavirus pandemic-related restrictions, and is expected to shrink an overall 9.5 per cent in the current financial year by the Reserve Bank of India.
- Finance Minister announced several measures to boost capital expenditure and stimulate consumer demand in the economy, which are estimated to cost Rs 73,000 crore by 31 March 2021.
Goa government Partners with India Posts to Get Farmers Enrolled in PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Scheme:
- Goa Government has tied up with India Post to get 11,000 farmers enrolled in the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sanman Nidhi scheme. This is the first such exercise in India to enrol farmers in the PM Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme, whereby the postman will be utilised to benefit farmers.
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi is the scheme which farmers directly received direct benefit transfer of Rs 2,000 in three instalments every year.
- Chief Minister:Pramod Sawant
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari (Additional Charge)
Kerala Becomes First State in India to Make the Public Education Sector Completely Digital and Hi-tech classrooms:
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has declared the state public education sector completely digital as Kerala has become the first state in the country to have high-tech classrooms in all its public schools.
- The high-tech classroom project is being implemented by Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education (KITE) with financial assistance from Kerala Infrastructure and Technology for Education (KIIFB).
- Four missions have announced to rejuvenate public education. All missions were under local body governments. Over 3.74 lakh digital equipment’s were distributed in 16,027 schools for the smart classroom project.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Tamil Nadu signs 14 MoUs for the industrial investment of Rs 10,055 crore:
- Tamil Nadu government signed 14 MoUs for Industrial Investment worth Rs 10,055 crore with an employment potential of 7,000 persons. The MoUs were signed in the presence of Chief Minister K. Palaniswami at the state secretariat.
- JSW Renewable Energy Ltd plans to generate renewable energy in Thoothukudi, Tenkasi, Tirunelveli, Ramanadhapuram and Tirupur districts. Between April-September 2020, a total of 42 MoUs were signed involving an investment of Rs 31,464 crore.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit.
- National Park: Mukurthi NP, Guindy NP,Gulf of Mannar Marine NP, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) NP, Mudumalai NP.
Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad Virtually Host SCO Meeting of Law and Justice Ministers:
- Union Minister of Law and Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad will host the seventh meeting of Ministers of Justice of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO). India, Kazakhstan, China, Kyrgyz Republic, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan will participate in the meeting.
- Secretary of the Department of Legal Affairs (Law Secretary) Anoop Kumar Mendiratta will host the second meeting of the Experts Working Group.
16-year-old Aava Murto assumes Finland’s PM post for a day Under ‘Girls Takeover’ Programme:
- A 16-year-old girl ceremoniously assumed the post of Finnish prime minister for one day for the “Girls Takeover” program — part of the United Nations International Day of the Girl to raise more awareness of gender equality.
- Aava Murto from the small village of Vaaksy in southern Finland stepped into the shoes of Prime Minister Sanna Marin.
18-year-old Indian girl Chaitanya Venkateswaran becomes British High Commissioner for a day:
- Delhi girl Chaitanya Venkateswaran became the British high commissioner to India for a day. The 18-year-old won the ‘High Commissioner for the Day’ contest organised by the mission in the run-up to the International Day of the Girl Child (October 11).
- She also launched a study tracing the impact of British Council STEM scholarships on Indian women participants.
Exim Bank provides USD 310 million line of credit to Zimbabwe for thermal and river projects:
- Exim Bank has provided USD 42.5 million (about Rs 310 crore) line of credit (LOC) to Zimbabwe for upgradation of a thermal power plant and river project. Under the LOCs, the terminal utilization period is 60 months after the scheduled completion date of the project.
- An agreement had been signed between the governments of India and Zimbabwe in April 2019 for USD 23 million line of credit for financing renovation and upgradation of Bulawayo Thermal Power Plant at the revalidated/escalated project cost.
Banking and Economy
RBI to move Next Generation Treasury Application (NGTA) to manage Forex and Gold Reserves:
- RBI has decided to move towards the Next Generation Treasury Application(NGTA). This decision has been taken by the Reserve Bank of India for managing the country’s Foreign Exchange and Gold Reserves. The Next Generation Treasury Application (NGTA) application will help improve the functioning of the RBI.
- The objective of the proposed system includes dealing in various asset classes (like Fixed Income Securities, Forex, Money Market, Gold); portfolio management; workflow management; reserve management; integration with various third party and in-house systems; and dashboards, reports, widgets.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Amazon Pay join hands with Uber to push digital payment service system in India:
- Amazon Pay and Uber technology announced a partnership that will integrate the digital payment platform as a payment option on the ride-hailing service app. This partnership with Uber will allow customers to complete their transaction in a contactless manner, especially during the pandemic.
- The strategic association will also focus on providing users one-click payment experience with cashback offers to drive adoption and further strengthen the digital payments ecosystem.
- CEO: Dara Khosrowshahi
- Headquarters: California, United States
Science and Technology
IIT Guwahati sign MoU with C-DAC for supercomputing facility across India:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati has signed an MoU with the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), Pune to set up a Rs 17-crore supercomputing facility.
- The MoU was signed by IIT-G Director T G Sitharam and C-DAC Director General Hemant Darbari during a virtual event in the presence of Union ministers.
- The new supercomputer with “650 TFLOPS is more powerful and a technologically superior facility”, which will play an important role in the Field of Scientific and Engineering Applications.
Defence Research and Development Organisation launches Nirbhay Cruise Missile into Sea:
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) launched 800-km range Nirbhay cruise missile from Odisha’s test facility but aborted eight minutes later. Nirbhay is a subsonic missile, which can fly at a speed of 0.7 Mach, with capabilities to stay under enemy radar to avoid detection.
- The missile lunch, which was 10th by DRDO in 33 days, was fired into Bay of Bengal and aborted after a technical snag. DRDO is testing missile at an average of one missile every four days.
Rare day-flying moth “Achelura Bifasciata” sighted in Uttarakhand after over 125 years:
- A rare day-flying moth “Achelura bifasciata” was spotted in Uttarakhand’s Garhwal Himalayas.
- There are old records of the insect to have been spotted in Nainital by GF Hampson, a Britisher, who had compiled a book on moths in 1893.
- The experts also spotted a rare butterfly called “Tawny Rajah”.
Awards and Recognitions
Paul R. Milgrom and Robert B. Wilson Wins Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for their work on auction theory:
- U.S. economists Paul Milgrom and Robert Wilson won the Nobel Economics Prize for work on commercial auctions, including for goods and services difficult to sell in traditional ways such as radio frequencies.
- The winners were announced in Stockholm by Goran Hansson, secretary-general of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, the award was established in 1969 and is now widely considered one of the Nobel prizes.
Prince William and Sir David Attenborough Launched “Earth shot Prize” to Support Climate Change:
- Prince William has joined with renowned British broadcaster and Naturalist David Attenborough to launch a new environmental award, “Earth shot Prize”, which has grand ambitions to incentivize change and help to repair our planet over the next 10 years. The prize comprises 5 prizes of 1 million pounds each.
- The prize inspiration from the Moonshot challenge that President John F. Kennedy set for the U.S. in 1961 to put a man on the moon by the end of the decade.
TCS surpasses Accenture to Become Most Valuable IT services Firm Globally:
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) became the most-valuable information technology (IT) company globally, surpassing rival Accenture for the first time.
- At the last closing price of Rs 2,825, TCS was valued at $144.73 billion (Rs 10.6 trillion).
- Accenture is currently valued at $142.4 billion, while IBM’s market cap is $110.5 billion.
East Bengal appoints Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler as head coach:
- Former England and Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler has been appointed the head coach of East Bengal for the next two years.
- He has been the third-highest goal scorer for the Reds where he played till 2001 before switching allegiance to arch-rivals Leeds United and then Manchester City.
India Ranks 129 in Oxfam’s CRI Index 2020; Norway Topped:
- India has been ranked 129 among 158 countries in Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index 2020. The 3rd edition of the index focuses on Fighting Inequality in the time of COVID-19.
- The index was released by the international charitable organisation ‘Oxfam International’ in partnership with Development Finance International and with inputs from independent experts.
- The index was topped by Norway followed by Denmark and Germany 2nd and 3rd Place respectively. South Sudan is the lowest ranking country in the index at 158th position.
Renowned Indian-origin South African human rights lawyer Priscilla Jana passes away at 76:
- Renowned Indian-origin South African human rights lawyer Priscilla Jana who represented many anti-apartheid political leaders, including Nelson Mandela, has passed away.
- Jana, who had played a significant role against apartheid, was the Deputy Chairperson of the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC).
Nagaland’s Environment Minister C M Chang passes away at 78:
- Nagaland’s environment minister,C M Chang passed away due to COVID-19. He was a retired IAS officer and former Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha (2009-13).
- He was elected to the Nagaland Legislative Assembly from 51 Noksen constituencies under Tuensang district in 2013 and later retained the same seat in 2018 on Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) ticket.
Former Karnataka Bank Chairman Ananthakrishna passes away at 74:
- Former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Karnataka Bank Limited Ananthakrishna passed away.
- He was the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the bank from 2000 to 2009 and thereafter had continued as Non-Executive Chairman of the Bank.
Former Odisha Assembly speaker Sarat Kumar Kar Passed away at 81:
- Former Odisha Assembly Speaker Sarat Kumar Kar passed away. He is a veteran leader and eminent writer.
- He was elected to State Legislative Assembly thrice from Mahanga. He was Speaker of Odisha Legislative Assembly from 2000 to 2004.
Los Angeles Lakers beat Miami Heat to clinch 17th Title in NBA finals 2020:
- Los Angeles Lakers defeated the Miami Heat to win the National Basketball Association (NBA) Championship 2020. This is the 17th NBA title win for LA Lakers and also their first since 2010, after late Kobe Bryant’s fifth and final title a decade ago.
- LeBron James of the Lakers’ was named the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player (MVP) for the fourth time in his career. He became the first player in league history to be named Finals MVP with three different franchises.
All India Football Federation announces ‘Indian Football – Forward Together’ as its new motto:
- All India Football Federation, the apex body for the sport of football in the country, announced the launch of their new motto ‘Indian Football- Forward Together’.
- The motto is based on the core belief of the Federation to promote, grow and develop the game of football throughout India with the support of the football community, and creates synergy with the core values of the organization – passion, respect, leadership, teamwork, integrity, professionalism and inclusivity.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 13, 2020 now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.