Daily Current Affairs : October 14 & 15, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (October 14 & 15, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – October 14 & 15, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
World Standards Day:
- World Standards Day also known as International Standards Day, is celebrated on October 14 every year. The day is marked to celebrate the contributions of experts and scientists across the world in developing voluntary standards within standards development organisation.
- Theme: “Protecting the planet with standards”.
International E-Waste Day- 14:
- International E-Waste Day has been developed by the WEEE Forum, an International Association of Electronic Waste Collection Schemes. It is used to highlight to consumers the importance of repairing or correctly disposing of used appliances with the aim to increase re-use, repair, recovery and recycling. This year will be third International E-Waste Day.
World Students Day- October15:
- World Students Day is celebrated on October 15 every year across the globe. The day is marked to celebrate the birth anniversary of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam. It was first celebrated in 2010 in United Nations on Dr APJ Abdul Kalam’s birthday when he was 79 years old.
International Day of Rural Women- October15:
- International Day of Rural Women is observed on October 15. The United Nations General Assembly established the day on 18 December 2007 and was observed for the first time in 2008.
- Theme: “Rural women and girls building resilience”
Global Handwashing Day- October 15:
- Global Handwashing Day is observed on October 15 every year. It is an international handwashing promotion campaign to motivate and mobilize people around the world to improve their handwashing habits. The first Global Handwashing Day was held in 2008.
- Theme: “Hand Hygiene for All”
PepsiCo to set up potato chips plant in Uttar Pradesh with 814 crore investment:
- Food processing industry in Uttar Pradesh is set to get a major boost with PepsiCo announcing Rs 814 crore green field project for production of potato chips in Mathura. The unit will be set up in Kosi area of the district and will start commercial production by the middle of 2021.
- The plant is being set up in Kosi, in Mathura district on a 35-acre plot which has been provided by the UP State Industrial Development Authority (UPSIDA). the plant will be providing direct and indirect employment to about 1,500 people.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
“Tech for Tribals” Initiative Launched by TRIFED, IIT Kanpur and Chhattisgarh MFP Federation:
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur and Chhattisgarh MFP (Minor Forest Produce) Federation virtually launched “Tech for Tribals”
- The initiative aims at the holistic development of tribals with a focus on entrepreneurship development, soft skills, IT, and business development through SHGs operating through Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (VDVKs).
- Capital: Raipur
- Chief Minister: Bhupesh Baghel
- Governor: Anusuiya Uikey
Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar launches a Water Testing Lab On Wheels:
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal launched a Mobile Water Testing Laboratory Van equipped with a multi-parameter system containing analysers, sensors, probes, and instruments based on Colorimentric, Electrochemistry.
- This initiative has been launched under the Jal Jeevan Mission for providing tap water connection to every rural household. The Water Quality in Haryana is mainly affected by constituents like total dissolved solids (TDS), Fluoride, nitrate, iron and
- Capital: Chandigarh
- Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
- National Parks(NP): Sultanpur NP, Kalesar NP
- Dance: Phag, Dhamal, Loor, Khoria.
NITI Aayog Announces Governing Structure of India Energy Modelling Forum:
- India Energy Modelling Forum (IEMF) is jointly launched by NITI Aayog and United States Agency for International Development (USAID). It is part of the Sustainable Growth pillar of the US–India Strategic Energy Partnership (SEP).
- IEMF aims to engage Indian researchers, knowledge partners, think tanks and national and international government agencies and departments for modelling and long-term energy planning.
Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath to launch Mission Shakti for women in Navratri:
- Uttar Pradesh government will dedicate the upcoming Navratri festival to women’s safety, dignity and empowerment by launching ‘Mission Shakti’. The initiative will begin in ‘Shardiya Navratri’ and will continue for the next six months till the ‘Chaitra Navratri’ in April.
- The various programmes will be organised from the Gram Panchayats to industrial units, school campuses to government offices, from the Durga Puja pandals to Ramlilas to reaffirm the faith and resolve towards the women power.
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launches “Sujal Mission” to Provide Quality Drinking Water in Urban Areas:
- Odisha Chief minister Naveen Patnaik virtually launched the “Drink from the tap Mission Sujal”, an initiative under the 5T model of governance, that aimed to ensure 24×7 safe and Quality Drinking Water to the people in urban areas.
- The Project worth Rs 1300 crore will be spent by the Government to provide the drink directly from tap quality water to all households in urban areas over 15 lakh people in 15 towns.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Festivals: Dhanu Yatra, Budi Thakurani Yatra, Magha Saptami, Chhau, Dola Purnima.
- Folk Dances: Chhau, Gotipua, Ghumura, Ranappa, Chaiti Ghoda, Sambalpuri.
Government Sets Up a Panel of Secretaries Headed by Rajiv Gauba to Streamline Telecom Spectrum Allocation:
- Government has constituted a panel of secretaries under cabinet secretary Rajiv Gauba to streamline the Spectrum Allocation Process and examine the possibility of drawing up an annual calendar for auction of airwaves that will give a clear road map of the quantum as well as the Frequency of Spectrum on offer for commercial use.
- This step has been taken to help the telecom companies to get a clear road map of the quantum as well as the frequency of spectrum on offer for commercial use, following which they can then plan their strategies more efficiently.
Odisha government signs agreement with Rugby India to sponsor national team for 3 years:
- Odisha government signed an agreement with Indian Rugby Football Union (IRFU) to sponsor the Indian national rugby teams till 2023 and facilitate high-performance training and conditioning of the players. The agreement was signed at the Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- The Mou was signed by R Vineel Krishna, Director of Sports & Youth Services Department, Odisha and Maneck Unwala, President of IRFU.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Festivals: Dhanu Yatra, Budi Thakurani Yatra, Magha Saptami, Chhau, Dola Purnima.
- Folk Dances: Chhau, Gotipua, Ghumura, Ranappa, Chaiti Ghoda, Sambalpuri.
Exercise “Suraksha Kavach” a Joint Anti-Terrorist Exercise held between Indian Army and Maharashtra Police at Lullanagar Pune:
- Agnibaaz Division (41 Artillery Division) of the Indian Army has organized Exercise “Suraksha Kavach” (security shield), a joint exercise for both Maharashtra Police and Indian Army at Lullanagar Pune. The exercise was an opportunity for both the Indian Army and Maharashtra Police to cooperate, coordinate, co-opt and streamline their drills and procedures.
- The exercise also involved the participation of Quick Reaction Teams, Dog Squads and Bomb Disposal Teams of Army and Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and Quick Reaction Team of Maharashtra Police.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan launches second phase of “Thalassemia Bal Sewa Yojna” for Thalassemic patients.:
- Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan virtually launched the second phase of “Thalassemia Bal Sewa Yojna” for the underprivileged Thalassemic patients. The Minister said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had introduced the Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana for targeted populace.
- The Scheme has been extended to cover Aplastic Anaemia patients for a total of 200 such patients from this year. World Thalassaemia Day is observed on May 8 every year.
AICTE Constituted a Committee to Prepare the Professional Engineers Bill Headed by M.S Ananth:
- Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal has informed Somaprasad, MP, that the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has constituted a committee for preparing the Professional Engineers Bill.
- The committee will function under the chairmanship of S. Ananth, former director, IIT Mardas.
Atal Innovation Mission collaborates with CGI to promote innovation in schools across India:
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog has collaborated with CGI India which is one among the largest IT and business consulting services firms, for creating a successful and innovative workforce from the Atal Tinkering Lab, ATL schools. ATLs are accessed by over 5 million school kids in India.
- CGI will also conduct training workshops for teachers at select schools on topics such as design thinking, computational thinking, robotics and coding.
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM):
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Mission Director: Ramanan Ramanathan
NITI Aayog (National Institution for Transforming India):
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi.
- Vice Chairperson: Rajiv Kumar.
Exim Bank extends USD 400 million soft loan to Maldives for financing connectivity project:
- Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) on behalf of the Government of India has extended a USD 400 million (about Rs 2,932 crore) soft loan to Maldives through the Exim Bank to finance a connectivity project in the nation of islands.
- The loan agreement was inked in Male between Exim Bank General Manager Nirmit Ved and Maldives” Finance Minister Ibrahim Ameer. Exim Bank has till date extended three LoCs worth a cumulative USD 1.2 billion to Maldives.
India and Taiwan Think Tanks join hands for Indo-Pacific Cooperation:
- Taiwan Asia Exchange Foundation (TAEF), a leading think tank from Taiwan has signed a memorandum with India’s National Maritime Foundation (NMF) in order to foster cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region as part of Taiwan’s South bound policy.
- The two groups will set up a joint task force to deepen bilateral dialogue. The memorandum’s aim is to conduct joint research and expand cooperation.
- Capital: Taipei
- Currency: Taiwan dollar
- President: Tsai Ing-wen
World Economic Forum shifts annual meeting 2021 from Davos to Lucerne:
- World Economic Forum (WEF) will hold its Annual Meeting 2021 in Lucerne-Burgenstock, Switzerland, from May 18 to 21, as against the traditional venue of ski resort town Davos in January 2021. The theme “The Great Reset”, it will be held both in physical and digital modes.
World Economic Forum (WEF):
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- Founder & Executive Chairman: Kalus Schwab
- President: Borge Brende.
Pakistan and Nepal re-elected to UN Human Rights Council:
- Pakistan and Nepal have been re-elected to the UN Human Rights Council, while China won a seat by the smallest margin showing a drastic drop in standing.
- Established by the UN General Assembly in 2006 as the principal United Nations entity dealing with human rights, the Human Rights Council consists of 47 elected Member.
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Napalese Rupee
- Prime Minister: KP Sharma Oli
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
World Bank approves USD 12 billion to help developing countries finance coronavirus vaccines:
- World Bank has approved USD 12 billion in financing to help developing countries buy and distribute coronavirus vaccines, tests, and treatments, aiming to support the vaccination of up to 1 billion The USD 12 billion “Envelop” is part of a wider World Bank Group package of up to USD 160 billion to help developing countries fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The funding is meant to also help countries access tests and treatments and to support management of supply chains and other logistics for vaccinations in developing countries.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- President: David Malpass.
India and France re-elected as President and Co-President of International Solar Alliance:
- India and France were re-elected as the President and Co-President of the International Solar Alliance (ISA), for a term of two years at the virtual meeting of the Third Assembly, informed the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- Four new Vice-Presidents were also chosen to represent the four regions of ISA. The representatives of Fiji & Nauru for Asia Pacific Region; Mauritius & Niger for Africa Region; UK & Netherlands for Europe and others Region, and Cuba and Guyana for Latin America and Caribbean Region assumed the vice presidency.
- Capital: Paris
- Currency: Euro
- President: Emmanuel Macron
- Prime Minister: Jean Castex
India signed MoU with Australia to promote cooperation in sustainable groundwater management:
- Union Cabinet approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Australia to promote cooperation in surface and groundwater training, education and research to achieve water security for agricultural, urban, industrial and environmental purposes.
- The MoU was signed between Central Ground Water Board (CGWB), Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga rejuvenation, India and Managing Aquifer Recharge and Sustaining Groundwater use through village-level intervention (MARVI) PARTNERS,
- Capital: Canberra
- Currency: Australian dollar
- Prime Minister: Scott Morrison
6th Edition of Joint Commission meeting held between India and Norway to establish global facility ‘COVAX’ to combat COVID-19:
- India and Norway held a virtual joint commission. The Indian delegation was led by Jaishankar, External Affairs Minister of India and the Norwegian delegation was led by Ine Eriksen Soreide, Foreign Minister of Norway. Both countries decided to hold the next round of Joint Commission Meeting in Oslo, Norway.
- Both countries reiterated their commitment to combating the pandemic by the establishment of the global facility ‘COVAX’ and to secure fair global access to vaccines and expressed their mutual commitment to the bilateral cooperation on maternal and child health.
- Capital: Oslo
- Currency: Norwegian krone
- Prime Minister: Erna Solberg.
Banking and Economy
International Monetary Fund projects India’s GDP to contract 10.3% in 2020:
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) projected India’s gross domestic product (GDP) to plunge in FY21 by 3%, from its earlier prediction of 4.5% drop, reflecting a severe-than-anticipated contraction in economic activities in the first quarter as a result of the nationwide lockdown as well as the rapidly spreading pandemic.
- IMF estimates the GDP of India to grow at 8 per cent in 2021-22, as compared to 6 per cent predicted earlier.
International Monetary Fund (IMF):
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C. U.S.
- Managing Director: Kristalina Georgieva
- Chief Economist: Gita Gopinath
RBI Increases Banks Aggregate Exposure Limit for Small Businesses to Rs 7.5 crore:
- Reserve Bank (RBI) has raised the banks’ maximum aggregate retail exposure limit to entities with turnover up to Rs 50 crore to Rs 7.5 crore. Earlier this limit was Rs 5 crore.
- The decision has been taken to increase credit flow to small businesses. RBI has also decided to extend the existing enhanced Held to Maturity (HTM) limit of 22 percent for SLR securities acquired between September 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021, up to March 31, 2022.
Axis Bank collaborates with Google Pay and Visa to launch a new ACE Credit card:
- Axis Bank launches ACE Credit Card in India in collaboration with Google Pay and Visa. The card meant to help with digital payments. From application to issuance, with the entire user journey for the credit card application will be done digitally.
- The company is also offering 4 per cent to 5 per cent cashback for expenses on food ordering, online grocery delivery, cab rides for transactions made on partner merchant platforms such as Swiggy, Zomato, BigBasket, Grofers and Ola.
Acquisitions and Mergers
EarlySalary Launches ”Salary Card” a Zero-Touch Digital card Powered by RuPay:
- India’s largest consumer lending platform EarlySalary launches ‘Salary Card’ a zero-touch digital card that provides instant access for salaried professionals, enabling them to make instant purchases across thousands of merchants across India.
- The card was Powered by RuPay comes with a unique feature that allows consumers the flexibility of setting up a dynamic credit limit to suit that shopping, medical, travel, entertainment and other needs.
CCI Approves Acquisition of Shares and Solar Energy in CG Power and Adani Green Energy Ten Limited:
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the acquisition of shares in CG Power and Industrial Solutions by Tube Investment India (TII). Under the Swiss Challenge method, the company did not find any new suitors until the deadline. As a result, TII remained the sole bidder.
- TII approved an additional investment of 100 crores into CG Power and Industrial Solutions. Adani Green Energy Ten Limited will acquire 100% of the share capital of the targeted companies.
Gujarat government partnered with Hindustan Zinc to set up world’s biggest Zinc Smelter project in Dosawada:
- Vedanta Group firm Hindustan Zinc Ltd (HZL) has signed a pact with Gujarat government to set up a greenfield zinc smelter in the state. The project will entail an investment of up to Rs 10,000 crore.
- This new zinc smelter project with a generation capacity of 300 kilo tonnes per annum (KTPA) will accelerate the economic and industrial development of the state. It will generate direct employment for over 5,000 people. The project with its scope for setting up ancillary facilities in and around the region will help the livelihood of around 25,000 people, the government claimed.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- National Park: Blackbuck NP, Vansda NP, Gir Forest NP, Marine NP, Gulf of Kutch.
Microsoft Partners with AICTE to skill students and educators in next generation technologies:
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has partnered with Microsoft to provide uninterrupted online learning to millions of students across the country and empower learners and educators in new-age technologies, including Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), data science, and cloud computing.
- As part of the partnership, over 1,500 course modules from Microsoft will be made available to students and educators free of cost through AICTE’s e-learning portal ELIS.
Mastercard partners with Indian start-up Signzy for global rollout of Video KYC:
- Mastercard, a global technology company in the payments industry, has partnered with Signzy, a RegTech startup based in India, for global rollout of Signzy’s video-based KYC (Know Your Customer) solution for its banking customers.
- Mastercard customers will benefit from a completely paperless, remote and secure onboarding solution for end-users. It may be recalled that Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had in January this year amended its KYC norms allowing banks and other lending institutions regulated by it to use Video based Customer Identification Process (V-CIP), a move which will help them onboard customers.
Science and Technology
NASA to Launch three Nano Satellite Developed by Tamil Nadu Students into Sub-orbit:
- An experimental satellite by three students from Tamil Nadu’s Karur district will be launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Agency into the sub orbit in June 2021. The three students Adnaan of Thanthonrimalai, M. Kesavan of Nagampalli and V. Arun of Thennilai started with their experimental model when they were in their high school.
- This satellite model has outnumbered many other satellites designed as part of the global competition conducted by the Cubes in Space, a programme of Idoodledu Inc in association with NASA.
NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration):
- Headquarters– Washington, D.C., United States
- Administrator– Jim Bridenstine.
IIT Madras researchers develop sustainable antimicrobial food wrapper:
- IIT Madras claims to have developed a Sustainable Antimicrobial Wrapping Material that can prevent packaged food contamination by bacteria and is biodegradable. The wrapper’s anti-bacterial compound has been approved by authorities and doesn’t cause any toxicity.
- The films developed by an IIT team were made with polymeric blends containing starch, polyvinyl alcohol, cyclic beta glycans. It also recently won the ‘SITARE- Gandhian Young Technological Innovation (GYTI) Appreciation 2020’.
India Meteorological Department Launches Impact-Based Cyclone Warning System:
- India Meteorological Department (IMD) has launched a dynamic, impact-based cyclone warning system aimed at minimising economic losses and damage to property from cyclones that hit the country’s coasts every year. The system will help minimise economic losses and damages due to property in the intense weather system.
- National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) under the project, entitled National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP) is developing a Web-based Dynamic Composite Risk Atlas (Web-DCRA) in collaboration with IMD and state Governments of coastal states.
Karnataka Bank appoints former RBI Executive Director Uma Shankar as additional director:
- Private Sector lender Karnataka Bank Limited has appointed Uma Shankar as Additional Director (Non-Executive, Independent) and the appointment will be effective from November 1, 2020.
- She is a former Executive Director of Reserve Bank of India. She was with RBI for over 37 years in different capacities. Her core competence is in the financial sector supervision but she has also been responsible for currency management, foreign exchange and the internal accounting and administration.
- Headquarters: Mangalore
- CEO: Mahabaleshwara M. S
- Tagline: “Your Family Bank Across India”
Constantina Dita Named Ambassador for World Athletics Half Marathon Championships Gdynia, Poland 2020:
- Romania’s 2008 Olympic champion Constantina Dita has been named an ambassador for the World Athletics Half Marathon Championships Gdynia, Poland 2020.
- She won the 2004 Chicago Marathon and came second in the 2005 Chicago Marathon (major City Marathons). Her double victory in Edmonton in 2005, taking individual and team gold medals, remains one of the highlights of her career.
- Capital: Warsaw.
- Currency: Złoty.
- President: Andrzej Duda
- Prime Minister: Mateusz Morawiecki
Cello Group signs Amitabh Bachchan as brand ambassador:
- A household product manufacturer Cello Group has roped in Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan as its brand ambassador. Bachchan will endorse the brand’s range of products across social media platforms.
Pradeep Kumar Rawat Appointed as Next Ambassador of India to Kingdom of Netherlands:
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) appointed Pradeep Kumar Rawat as the next Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Netherlands. Pradeep Kumar Rawat was a Indian Foreign Service in 1990 Batch. He is the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Indonesia.
- Capital: Amsterdam
- Currency: Euro
- Prime Minister: Mark Rutte
Awards and Recognitions
Bank of Ghana Named Central Bank of the Year 2020:
- Bank of Ghana has been recognised by the Central Banking Awards as the Central Bank of the Year 2020 following measures it pursued in a bid to ensure a strong financial sector via a raft of reforms implemented over the past two years. Bank of Ghana takes over from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) which was last year’s overall winner.
- And also, Governor of the Bank of England Mark Carney has won the Governor of the year at the Central bank of the year award 2020.
- Capital: Accra
- Currency: Ghanaian cedi
- President: Nana Akufo Addo
Indian-origin philanthropist Harish Kotecha wins lifetime achievement award in US:
- Indian-origin philanthropist Harish Kotecha has been awarded the prestigious Sandra Neese Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his work in the US for meeting the needs of children and youth experiencing homelessness.
- The lifetime achievement award from the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY) was presented to Kotecha, who is founder and president of Hindu Charities for America (HC4A), at its 32nd annual conference.
India ranks 58th in Global Passport Index report by Arton Capital’s Passport Index; New Zealand Topped:
- India has been ranked 58th in the list of World’s Most Powerful Passports by Arton Capital’s Passport Index. New Zealand was the strongest passport in the world followed by Japan, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Ireland, South Korea and Australia. The US passport ranked 21.
- The passport index lists the power of passports in terms of real-time, visa restrictions, factoring in legislative changes and entry requirements.
- Capital: Wellington
- Currency: New Zealand dollar
- Prime Minister: Jacinda Ardern
Books and Authors:
PM Narendra Modi releases a Book titled ‘Deh Vechava Karani’ autobiography of Balasaheb Vikhe Patil:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi released the autobiography of late multiple term Lok Sabha MP Dr Balasaheb Vikhe Patil. The autobiography is titled ‘Deh Vechava Karani’ means dedicating one’s life for a noble cause.
- The prime minister also renamed the Pravara Rural Education Society to ‘Loknete Dr Balasaheb Vikhe Patil Pravara Rural Education Society.’ The society was established in Ahmednagar’s Loni district to provide a world-class education to rural masses and empower the girl child.
Nightingale of Gujarat’ Kaumudi Munshi passes away at 93:
- Leading singer of Gujarati Sugam Sangeet Kaumudi Munshi, known as the “Nightingale of Gujarat”, passed away. She was trained under legendary thumri exponent, Siddheshwari Devi. For 5 years, she trained for ghazals under Taj Khan.
Bihar Minister Vinod Kumar Singh passes away at 50:
- Minister for Backward and Extremely Backward Classes in Bihar, Vinod Kumar Singh passed away due to COVID-19. He was a BJP MLA from Pranpur Assembly constituency of Katihar district in northeast Bihar and has been elected MLA thrice from the constituency.
Former 400m Hurdles Olympic Champion Charlie Moore passed away at 91:
- American Athlete Charlie Moore, 1952 Olympic 400 metre(m) Hurdles Champion passed away due to pancreatic cancer at the age of 91. He was born in August 1929 in Pennsylvania, United States of America(USA).
Former New Zealand all-rounder John R Reid passes away at 92:
- John Richard Reid, former New Zealand great and their oldest surviving Test player, has died at the age of 92 in Auckland. he scored 3428 runs in 58 Test matches with an average of 33.28, hitting 22 half-centuries and six centuries in a career that spanned over 16 years. His maiden Test century, a knock of 135, came against South Africa in Cape Town in 1954.
Padma Shri awardee and renowned Kuchipudi dancer Shobha Naidu passes away at 64:
- Padma Shri awardee and renowned Kuchipudi dancer Shobha Naidu passes away due to prolonged illness. She extensively toured the US, UK, Dubai, Turley, Hongkong, Mexico, Venezuela and Cuba to give stage performances of Kuchipudi dance. She won Padma Shri in 2001 and Sangeet Natak Akademi in 1991.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 14 & 15, 2020 now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.