DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : SEP 15, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (SEP 15 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day of Democracy- 15 September:
- The International Day of Democracy is celebrated around the world on 15 September every year. It was established through a resolution passed by the UN General Assembly in 2007, encouraging governments to strengthen and consolidate democracy.
National Engineer’s Day- September 15:
- India celebrated Engineer’s Day to mark the Birth Anniversary of the renowned Indian Engineer Bharat Ratna Mokshagundam Viseswaraya. He was the Chief Engineer of Krishna Raja Sagara dam in Mysuru and also designed a flood protection system for Hyderabad.
Union Minister Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurates Sangeet Sandhya as a part of 550th Birth Anniversary celebrations of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji:
- Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated Sangeet Sandhya programme as a part of the 550th Birth Anniversary celebrations of Sri Guru Nanak Dev. The Sangeet Sandhya was organised by the Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts under the aegis of Ministry of Culture.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches seven urban infrastructure projects in Bihar:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated seven urban infrastructure transformation projects in Bihar, which is scheduled to go to polls this year. Among the seven projects, six are under the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) scheme, while one is under the Namami Gange Mission.
- Capital: Patna
- Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar
- Governor: Fagu Chauhan
Maharashtra government accords ambulance status to vehicles carrying medical oxygen for one year:
- For an uninterrupted supply of oxygen, vehicles carrying oxygen cylinders for medical use will be treated at par with ambulances as emergency vehicles in Maharashtra for a period of 1 year. The notification was issued under Disaster Management Act, 2005.
Maharashtra CM announces ‘My Family-My Responsibility’ campaign to fight Covid-19:
- Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray announced the launch of ‘My family-My responsibility’ from September 15 to fight the pandemic.
- Under this campaign, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will reach out to every family residing in the financial capital and will provide medical help and guidance if needed.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
HIKAI Online academic classes inaugurated at Ramakrishna Mission Sec School in East Khasi Hills district, Meghalaya:
- Online academic classes of HIKAI (Hybrid Interactive Knowledge Assimilation Initiative) were inaugurated at Ramakrishna Mission Secondary School demonstrating the technological capability of conducting online classes in a no-internet zone by using intranet.
- Capital: Shillong
- Chief Minister: Conrad Sangma
- Governor: Satya Pal Malik
Government formed 16-Member Committee To Study Ancient Indian Culture; Prahlad Singh Patel:
- Central Government formed an expert committee for conducting a study on the origin and evolution of Indian culture 12,000 years ago. The 16-member committee will include KN Dikshit Chairman Indian Archaeological Society & former Joint Director General ASI, among others.
Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh virtually lays foundation stone of Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex in Jammu:
- Union Minister of State, Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh along with Youth Affairs & Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju and Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha laid the foundation stone for the construction of Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex at Hiranagar, in Kathua district of Jammu & Kashmir through video conferencing.
Jammu and Kashmir:
- Capital: Srinagar (summer), Jammu (winter)
- Lt Governor: Manoj Sinha
- National Parks: Hemis National Park, City Forest (Salim Ali) National Park, Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar National Park.
- Wildlife Sanctuaries: Changthang Cold Desert WLS, Gulmarg WLS, Jasrota WLS, Baltal-Thajwas WLS, Karakoram (Nubra Shyok) WLS.
Rajasthan government signs pact with SIDBI to develop MSME ecosystem:
- Rajasthan’s Department of Industries and SIDBI will work together to provide financial, technical, marketing and export support to MSMEs in the state, Industries Minister Parsadi Lal Meena.
- Chief Minister:Ashok Gehlot
- Governor:Kalraj Mishra
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI):
- Headquarters: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Chairman & Managing Director (MD): Mohammad Mustafa.
Tripura gets it’s first-ever Special Economic Zone (SEZ):
- First-ever Special Economic Zone (SEZ) was laid to foundation stone by the Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb at Sabroom which is the southernmost town of the state bordering Bangladesh. It is around 120 km from Agartala. The estimated investment in the project will be around Rs 1550 Crore.
- Capital: Agartala
- Chief Minister: Biplab Kumar Deb
- Governor: Ramesh Bais.
India beats China to become member of UN’s Commission on Status of Women:
- India is elected as a member of UN’s Commission on Status of Women, a body of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). India, Afghanistan and China had contested the elections. This year is 25th anniversary of the famous Beijing World Conference on Women. India is to be a member for four years from 2021 – 2025.
India is second-fastest-growing freelance market in the world:
- India is the second-fastest-growing freelance market in the world with a massive increase in the number of freelancers this year, according to a report on ‘Freelancing in 2020: An Abundance of Opportunities’ by Payoneer.
Banking and Economy:
ICICI Lombard announces bancassurance tie-up with Yes Bank:
- India’s leading private sector non-life insurance company ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited has entered into a Bancassurance tie-up with Yes Bank. The partnership will provide the Bank’s diverse customer base access to the insurer’s portfolio and make insurance more accessible to its customers across India.
ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India):
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD and CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi
- Tagline: Hum Hai Na, Khyal Apka.
- CEO: Prashant Kumar
- Founder: Rana Kapoor
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Tagline: “Experience our Expertise”.
S&P Global Ratings Projects India’s GDP at -9% in FY21 & 6% in FY22:
- S&P Global Ratings has projected the GDP of India to contract by 9% in the fiscal year 2020-21 (FY21), as against its previous estimate of a 5% contraction, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. For the FY-22 (2021-22), S&P expects GDP growth of 6%. For the FY-23 (2022-23), GDP is projected at 2%.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
International Financial Services Centre Authority Inks Mou With India Gold Policy Centre Of IIM Ahmedabad:
- International Financial Services Centre Authority (IFSCA) and India Gold Policy Centre (IGPC) – IIM Ahmedabad signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) at the IFSCA, GIFT City Gandhinagar, Gujarat for providing consulting to facilitate the establishment of International Bullion Exchange in India.
Infosys to acquire Europe-based GuideVision for €30 million:
- IT major Infosys has signed a definitive agreement to acquire European consultancy firm GuideVision for up to Euro 30 million (approximately $35 million). GuideVision is one of the largest Service Now Elite Partners in Europe, specialized in offering strategic advisory, consulting, implementations, training and support.
Yoshihide Suga elected as Prime Minister of Japan, to succeed PM Shinzo Abe:
- Yoshihide Suga has been elected leader of Japan’s governing Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), paving the way for him to become the country’s next prime minister. Suga won internal vote to pick a successor to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who announced in August that he would step down due to health problems. Suga is currently the chief Cabinet secretary of Abe’s government.
Haryana IAS officer Rajesh Khullar appointed executive director of World Bank:
- Principal Secretary to Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar and Senior Haryana IAS officer Rajesh Khullar has been appointed executive director of the World Bank in Washington DC for three years. As executive director, Khullar will represent India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka in the World Bank.
Sameer Kumar Khare appointed Executive Director at Asian Development Bank:
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Sameer Kumar Khare as new Executive Director of Asian Development Bank (ADB), Manila. Khare is a 1989-batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Assam cadre.
- He is currently serving as Additional Secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs under Ministry of Finance.
Harivansh Narayan Singh re-elected as Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha:
- NDA candidate Harivansh Narayan Singh has been re-elected as the Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha. This would be Harivansh’s second innings as the Deputy Chairman of the Upper House. Deputy Chairman presides over the proceedings in the absence of the chairman. Harivansh will be the 12th Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
Awards and Recognitions:
Aditya Puri conferred Lifetime Achievement Award by Euromoney Awards of Excellence 2020:
- Managing Director of HDFC Bank Aditya Puri has been conferred the Lifetime Achievement Award by Euromoney Awards of Excellence 2020. He has been awarded for his skills in building a world-class bank in India at a time where there were no similar institutions in existence.
Books and Authors:
A Book titled “The End of an Era; India Exits Tibet” authored by Claude Arpi:
- Claude Arpi’s four volumes on Tibet’s relations with India show how China developed its Tibet playbook that includes encroachment, occupation, and the spinning of a narrative of false claims. The last book in the series focuses on the last five years of India’s diplomatic presence in Tibet.
Gauri Khan announces her debut book ‘My Life in Design’:
- Interior designer, Gauri Khan has authored her first book titled “My Life In Design”, which will be published by Penguin Random House India in 2021. It is a coffee-table book, in which Gauri has written about her journey as a designer.
Former Chhattisgarh Minister Chanesh Ram Rathiya passes away at 78:
- Veteran Congress leader and former Chhattisgarh minister Chanesh Ram Rathiya has passed away due to COVID-19. He was 78. He had served as animal husbandry minister in the Digvijay Singh led-Congress government in erstwhile Madhya Pradesh.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.