Daily Current Affairs: June 29, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (June 29, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day of the Tropics – 29 June
- The International Day of the Tropics is observed annually on 29 June from 2014 to highlight opportunities, unique challenges faced by nations lying between the tropics and celebrates the diversity of the tropical regions.
- This day aims at promoting the tropical regions on the planet and raising awareness about conservation strategies.
- 2021 Theme: “The Digital Divide in the Tropics”
National Statistics Day – 29 June
- National Statistics Day is celebrated on 29 June to commemorate the birth anniversary of late Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis.
- This day marks the birth anniversary (29 June 1893) of the Father of Indian Statistics, Professor. PC Mahalanobis. This day is also celebrated in recognition of his invaluable contribution in establishing the National Statistical System
IBRD approves a $210 million loan for the implementation of SALT programme in Andhra Pradesh
- The lending arm of the World Bank Group, International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) has approved a $250 million loan for Andhra Pradesh Government to support the implementation of the Supporting Andhra’s Learning Transformation (SALT) programme in the next five years.
- The main objectives of the programme called Supporting Andhra’s Learning Transformation (SALT) are strengthening foundation schools and providing training and skill development to teachers.
International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD)
- Headquarters: Washington DC, USA
- Member Countries: 189
- Established: 1944
- Parent Organisation: World Bank Group
NTPC commissions 910 MW capacity at Barauni, Tanda
- NTPC Limited (National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) has declared the commercial operation of the second unit of 660 MW capacity at Tanda Super Thermal Power Station in Uttar Pradesh.
- Additionally, the second 250 MW unit at Barauni Thermal Power Station in Bihar has also completed the trial operation and is consequently included in the installed capacity of NTPC.
National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC)
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Chairman and Managing Director: Gurdeep Singh
- Founded: 1975
NTPC sets target to install 60 GW renewable energy capacity by 2032
- State-owned NTPC Limited (National Thermal Power Corporation Limited) has set a target to install 60 GW of renewable energy capacity by 2032. India’s largest power producer is also aiming at a 10% reduction in net energy intensity by 2032.
- NTPC became the first energy company in India to declare its energy compact goals as part of the UN High-level Dialogue on Energy (HLDE).
India and Bhutan review development cooperation and agree to implement new projects
- India and Bhutan reviewed the entire gamut of their development partnership, with both sides agreeing to implement some new projects in the Himalayan nation (Bhutan) across various sectors such as road infrastructure, water management and COVID-19 management.
- The Third India-Bhutan Development Cooperation talks were held virtually. The Indian delegation was led by Rahul Chhabra, Secretary (Economic Relations) of the Union Ministry of External Affairs and the Bhutanese delegation was led by Kinga Singye, the Foreign Secretary of Bhutan.
- Capital: Thimphu
- Currency: Ngultrum
- Prime Minister: Lotay Tshering
Ukraine and the US conduct “Sea Breeze” joint naval exercises in the Black Sea
- This exercise will involve around 5,000 military personnel from more than 30 countries.
- Capital: Kyiv
- Currency: Ukrainian Hryvnia
- President: Volodymyr Zelensky
World’s second-biggest hydropower dam in China starts making power
- World’s second-biggest hydropower station in China named Baihetan Hydropower Dam started its operation to generate power.
- The 289-metre (948 feet) high Baihetan Hydropower Station over the Yangtze River in southwest China is second in the world only to China’s Three Gorges Dam in terms of power generation, which began partial operation.
- Capital: Beijing
- President: Xi Jinping
- Currency: Renminbi
Banking and Economy
Mastercard partners with Instamojo to empower MSMEs and gig workers
- Mastercard has announced a strategic equity investment in Instamojo, a full-stack digital solutions provider to digitise and empower Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and gig workers by providing easy-to-use solutions.
- This investment will help customers to rapidly digitize, such as setting up online stores, equip the stores with digital payment acceptance capabilities and reach out to customers.
Twitter appoints California-based Jeremy Kessel as Grievance Officer for India
- Twitter has appointed California-based Jeremy Kessel as the new Grievance Officer for India, as required under the new Information Technology Rules, 2021.
- WhatsApp had recently named Paresh B Lal as its Grievance Officer for India and Facebook appointed Spoorthi Priya as its Grievance Officer for
Former Allahabad High Court judge Shambhu Nath Srivastava was appointed as the Chairman of the IFUNA
- Former judge of the Allahabad High Court Shambhu Nath Srivastava was appointed as the Chairman of the Indian Federation of United Nations Associations (IFUNA), a non-profit organisation to promote objectives of the United Nations and its specialised agencies.
- He is a former judge of the Allahabad High Court and the former Chief Lokayukta of Chhattisgarh.
Justice Ravi Vijaykumar Malimath was appointed as the Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Justice Ravi Vijaykumar Malimath as the next Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court. He succeeded Justice Lingappa Narayana Swamy.
Union Government extends Attorney General KK Venugopal’s tenure by one year
- The Union Government has extended senior advocate and renowned constitutional expert KK Venugopal’s tenure as the Attorney General for India till 30 June 2022.
- He was first appointed as the Attorney General on 30 June 2017 for a three-year term after the then Attorney General Mukul Rohtagi resigned from office.
Usha Natesan was appointed as the Director of the National Institute of Technical Teachers’ Training & Research (NITTTR)
- Anna University Professor Usha Natesan was appointed as the Director of the National Institute of Technical Teachers’ Training & Research (NITTTR), Chennai, for a period of five years.
WhatsApp appoints Manesh Mahatme to lead India Payments Business
- Facebook-owned messaging platform WhatsApp has appointed former Amazon executive Manesh Mahatme as the head of its payments business in India.
- Mahatme has over 17 years of experience in digital financial services and payments across Citibank, Airtel Money and Amazon Pay.
Awards and Recognitions
Journalist P Sainath was awarded Japan’s Fukuoka Grand Prize for 2021
- Renowned journalist and founder of PARI (People’s Archive of Rural India) P Sainath was awarded the Fukuoka Grand Prize for 2021 of Japan.
- He will receive the ‘Grand Prize’ of the 2021 Fukuoka Grand Prize, while the Academic Prize and the Prize for ‘Arts and Culture’ will go to Kishimoto Mio of Japan and filmmaker Prabda Yoon of Thailand, respectively.
Delhi Metro wins ‘Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement Award’ for 2020 from JSCE
- Japan Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE) has awarded the Delhi Metro’s Phase I, II, and III projects with the prestigious ‘Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement Award’ for 2020.
- The Delhi Metro project was dubbed a “High-Quality Infrastructure Development Project” by the JSCE.
BCCI confirms ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 to be held in UAE
- Earlier, the event was scheduled to be held in India in October–November 2021. The second part of the Indian Premier League (IPL) is also being planned to be held in the UAE in September–October 2021.
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- President Sourav Ganguly
- Secretary: Jay Shah
- CEO(Interim): Hemang Amin
International Cricket Council (ICC)
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Chief Executive Officer: Manu Sawhney
- Chairman: Greg Barclay
- Motto: “Cricket for Good”
Madhya Pradesh allrounder Anshula Rao becomes the first woman cricketer to fail a dope test
- Madhya Pradesh allrounder Anshula Rao was handed a four-year ban by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) for failing a dope test, backdated to July 2020.
- She became the first woman cricketer to have been punished for doping. She is a registered cricketer with the BCCI and has taken part in several domestic tournaments.
India’s Rahi Sarnobat wins gold medal in women’s 25 metres pistol event at the 2021 ISSF World Cup
- Indian shooter Rahi Sarnobat won a gold medal in the women’s 25 metres pistol event at the ISSF World Cup 2021 held in Osijek, Croatia.
- Mathilde Lamolle of France shot 31 in the final to win silver, while Russia’s Vitalina Batsarashkina took home bronze with a total of 28.
International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF)
- Headquarters: Munich, Germany
- President: Vladimir Lisin
- Founded: 1907
Daily CA June 29 One-liner:
|1. International Day of the Tropics – 29 June|
|2. National Statistics Day – 29 June|
|3. IBRD approves $210 million loan for the implementation of SALT programme in Andhra Pradesh|
|4. NTPC commissions 910 MW capacity at Barauni, Tanda|
|5. NTPC sets target to install 60 GW renewable energy capacity by 2032|
|6. India and Bhutan review development cooperation and agree to implement new projects|
|7. Ukraine and the US conduct “Sea Breeze” joint naval exercises in the Black Sea|
|8. World’s second-biggest hydropower dam in China starts making power|
|9. Mastercard partners with Instamojo to empower MSMEs and gig workers|
|10. Twitter appoints California-based Jeremy Kessel as Grievance Officer for India|
|11. Former Allahabad High Court judge Shambhu Nath Srivastava was appointed as the Chairman of the IFUNA|
|12. Justice Ravi Vijaykumar Malimath was appointed as the Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court|
|13. Union Government extends Attorney General KK Venugopal’s tenure by one year|
|14. Usha Natesan was appointed as the Director of the National Institute of Technical Teachers’ Training & Research (NITTTR)|
|15. WhatsApp appoints Manesh Mahatme to lead India Payments Business|
|16. Journalist P Sainath was awarded Japan’s Fukuoka Grand Prize for 2021|
|17. Delhi Metro wins ‘Outstanding Civil Engineering Achievement Award’ for 2020 from JSCE|
|18. BCCI confirms ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 to be held in UAE|
|19. Madhya Pradesh allrounder Anshula Rao becomes the first woman cricketer to fail a dope test|
|20. India’s Rahi Sarnobat wins gold medal in women’s 25 metres pistol event at the 2021 ISSF World Cup|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of June 29, 2021, now from the link given below.