DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : SEP 2, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (SEP 02 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Coconut Day- September 2:
- The day of 2nd September is considered as World Coconut Day annually in order to create awareness about the importance of this crop in poverty reduction. This day also marks Asian Pacific Coconut Community (APCC)’s formation day.
India To Invest Over Rs 4 Lakh Crore To Achieve 100 Million Tonne Coal Gasification Target By 2030:
- India aims for 100 million tonne (MT) coal gasification by 2030 with investments worth over Rs 4 lakh crore, said Union Minister of Coal and Mines Prahlad Joshi.
- The webinar was organized by Ministry of Coal (MoC) in New Delhi for discussing the road map for achieving the target. The webinar was attended by around 700 delegates from government of India, Coal India Limited (CIL) and the coal sector.
Andhra Pradesh Government to launch two schemes for pregnant women on September 1:
- Andhra Padesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy will launch two new schemes for pregnant women. The schemes, “YSR Sampoorna Poshana” and “YSR Sampoorna Poshana Plus” to be launched on September 1, 2020 aim at providing nutritious food for pregnant women and lactating mothers along with children.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam.
- National Park: Sri Venkateswara National Park ,Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh Launched Life Insurance Scheme for More than 10,000 Cantonment Employees:
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched a life insurance scheme that will provide a cover of Rs 5 lakhs each to more than 10,000 employees working in cantonment areas across India.
- ‘Chhavni Covid: Yodha Sanrakshan Yojana’, a group life insurance scheme through the Life Insurance Corporation, was launched by Rajnath Singh during a webinar attended by presidents, vice-presidents and chief executive officers of all 62 cantonment boards.
Coal India to invest over Rs 1.22 lakh crore on 500 projects by 2023-24:
- Coal India to invest over Rs 1.22 lakh crore on development of 500 projects related to coal evacuation, infrastructure, exploration and clean coal technologies. It aims to make India self-reliant & achieve production target of 1 billion tonnes by 2023-24.
- Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa flagged off Roll-On/Roll-Off (RO-RO) train between Bengaluru (Nelamangala) to Solapur (Maharashtra) through video conferencing. CM Yediyurappa flagged off the RO-RO train from Nelamagala station on the outskirts of Bengaluru at 9.15 am.
- Explaining about the RO-RO service, the South Western Railway (SWR) stated it will have open flat wagon on which trucks with goods are loaded. The driver and cleaner of the lorries sit in their vehicles.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: B. S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
Odisha CM launched “Ama Sahar” and “Swachha Sahar Odisha” Mobile app on Local Self Government Day:
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched two citizen-centric mobile phone applications- AMA SAHAR and SWACHHA SAHAR ODISHA at the Lok Seva Bhawan here on the occasion of Local Self Government Day. With the launching of web app, the urban local bodies (ULBs) will be able to submit utilisation certificate online which will bring better fiscal management.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister:Naveen Patnaik
- Governor:Ganeshi Lal
Uttar Pradesh government decides to set up exclusive anti-electricity theft police stations in every district:
- Uttar Pradesh government decided to set up exclusive Anti-Electricity Theft police stations in every district of state to address the problem of frequent cases of power theft. One police station dedicated to deal with the issue of power theft to be opened.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan(Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
European Investment Bank To Invest €650 Million Into Kanpur’s First City Metro Line:
- European Investment Bank (EIB) is set to invest a total of €650 million into the construction of Kanpur city’s first metro line, marking its second-biggest operation outside the European Union.
- The 4 km urban rail line, with 18 elevated and 12 underground stations is EIB’s 2nd biggest operation outside the European Union(EU) till date. It is the 2nd metro rail project supported by the EIB in Uttar Pradesh(UP).
European Investment Bank (EIB):
- President: Werner Hoyer
India, Australia and Japan to launch resilient supply chains for Indo-Pacific Region:
- India, Australia and Japan agreed to launch an initiative to ensure the resilience of supply chains in the Indo-Pacific, with the move coming against the backdrop of tensions created by China’s aggressive actions across the region.
- The creation of the “Supply Chain Resilience Initiative” was mooted by Japan amid the Covid-19 crisis.
First ”historic” direct flight between Israel and UAE lands in Abu Dhabi:
- A chartered El Al airliner carrying Israeli and American diplomats landed in the United Arab Emirates, completing a symbolic first direct flight from Tel Aviv to Abu Dhabi.
- This would pave the way for formal diplomatic and commercial ties and might inspire other Arab nations to follow suit in normalizing relations with the Jewish state.
United Arab Emirates (UAE):
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- President: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
- Prime Minister: Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Banking and Economy
India’s real GDP may decline by 10.9% in FY21; SBI Ecowrap:
- After a worse-than-expected 9 per cent decline in GDP in the June quarter, the top economist at State Bank of India expects a steeper decline in FY21.
- Soumya Kanti Ghosh, Group Chief Economic Adviser, State Bank of India, now expects FY21 real GDP growth to decline by 9 per cent, compared to a previous estimate of 6.8 per cent.
State Bank of India (SBI):
- Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman– Rajnish Kumar.
- Tagline: The Banker to Every Indian
IRDAI sets up panel to study index-linked products for Life Insurance Company:
- IRDAI constituted a 6-member working group headed by Dinesh Pant to examine various aspects for allowing life insurance companies to offer index-linked products. The current regulations do not specifically permit insurers to sell index-linked products.
IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority):
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Chairman: Subhash Chandra Khuntia.
ICICI Prudential Life Insurance introduces AI-powered voice chatbot “LiGo” on Google Assistant:
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance launched an AI-powered voice chatbot, “LiGo” on Google Assistant as part of its customer service initiative. This new option will enable the policyholders to have their queries addressed by simple voice commands.
- Customers can use commands such as “Ok Google, I want to speak to ICICI Prudential Life LiGo” or “May I talk to ICICI Prudential Life LiGo”.
Central Board of Direct Taxes Chairman Pramod Chandra Mody Gets 6-Month Extension:
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved extension in the re-appointment of Pramod Chandra Mody as Chairman, Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) for a period of six months. The CBDT is headed by a chairman and can have a maximum of six members. It frames policy for the Income-Tax Department.
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT):
- Chairman: Pramod Chandra Mody
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
Hemant Khatri takes over as CMD of Hindustan Shipyard:
- Hemant Khatri succeeds Rear Admiral L V Sarat Babu (Retd) and assumed charge as the Chairman and Managing director(CMD) of Hindustan Shipyard limited(HSL), Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, is a Miniratna public sector undertaking (PSU) of the Ministry of Defence. Previously he was serving as the Director of Strategic Projects HSL.
M V Raja Sekhar takes charge as Director (R&D) of Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL):
- M V Raja Sekhar took charge as Director (R&D) of Navratna Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Ltd. He was a Chief Scientist of BELs Central Research Laboratory-Bangalore & Officer on Special Duty at BELs corporate office. He joined BELs Ghaziabad Unit in 1985.
Charu Sinha becomes first woman IG to lead CRPF in Kashmir:
- IPS officer Charu Sinha has become the first woman commander to head the Central Reserve Police Force formation in Kashmir. She is appointed as the IG of CRPF’s Srinagar sector that oversees the deployment of the paramilitary forces’ battalions in Srinagar.
Vice Admiral S R Sarma assumes charge as Chief of Materiel of the Indian Navy:
- Vice Admiral SR Sarma assumed charge as Chief of Materiel of the Indian Navy. In recognition of his distinguished services, the Admiral was awarded Ati Vishisht Seva Medal and Vishisht Seva Medal. He is also a recipient of Lt VK Jain Gold Medal in 1994.
Books and Authors
Karan Johar writes his first children’s book “The Big Thoughts of Little Luv”:
- Bollywood Filmmaker Karan Johar authored a children’s picture book titled “The Big Thoughts of Little Luv” inspired by his Twins Yash and Roohi. The book will be published by Juggernaut Books.
- The director had released his autobiography named An Unsuitable Boy back in 2017.
Elon Musk becomes world’s third richest man; Bloomberg Billionaires Index:
- Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has surpassed Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg’s net worth to become the third richest person in the world.
- Musk, 49, saw his wealth increase by over $11.7 billion in a single day after Tesla Inc stocks continued to surge, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires The Tesla boss is now worth Rs 115.4 billion, nearly $5 billion more than Zuckerberg’s $111 billion.
Sumit Nagal is first Indian in seven years to win main draw match at a Grand Slam:
- Sumit Nagal became the first Indian to win a round at a Grand Slam in 7 years when he downed Bradley Klahn in his US Open first round, setting up a contest against Dominic Thiem. Somdev Devavarman was the last Indian to win a main draw match at a major.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.