Daily Current Affairs: September 16, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (September 16, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Ozone Day – 16 September
- World Ozone Day, also known as International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer, is observed on 16 September every year to focus global attention and action on vital environmental issues regarding ozone.
- Theme 2021: ‘Montreal Protocol – keeping us, our food and vaccines cool’.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Vice President Venkaiah Naidu launch Sansad TV
- The Vice President of India M. Venkaiah Naidu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla jointly launched the Sansad TV on the occasion of ‘International Day of Democracy’ to play a bridge to connect the Parliament and the people.
- Sansad TV was launched after merging the Lok Sabha TV and Rajya Sabha TV channels.
India chairs the meeting of BRICS heads of tax authorities
- India chaired the virtual meeting of the heads of tax authorities of the BRICS countries and discussed challenges faced by tax administrations of the member countries in the digital era and in the situation created by the COVID-19 pandemic.
NITI Aayog launches ‘Shoonya’ programme to promote zero pollution delivery vehicles
- NITI Aayog, in association with Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI), launched an initiative ‘Shoonya’ programme to accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) in the urban deliveries segment and create consumer awareness about the benefits of zero-pollution delivery.
Nitin Gadkari launches an AI-powered road safety project to reduce accidents by 50%
- Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari launched an Artificial Intelligence-powered project, ‘iRASTE’, on a pilot basis in Nagpur, Maharashtra, with the aim of reducing accidents by 50 per cent.
The UK, US and Australia announce a trilateral security partnership named AUKUS
- The US, UK and Australia have announced a new trilateral security alliance named ‘AUKUS’ for the Indo-Pacific to deepen diplomatic, security and defence cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region.
India’s largest floating solar energy power plant was commissioned in Andhra Pradesh
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has successfully commissioned India’s largest 25 MW floating solar PV system at NTPC Simhadri in Andhra Pradesh which covers an area of 100 acres.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
- Folk Dances: Kuchipudi, Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam
- National Parks: Sri Venkateswara National Park, Rajiv Gandhi National Park, Papikonda National Park
Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Founded: 1964
Banking & Economy
UNCTAD projects India’s economic growth at 7.2% for 2021
- India’s economic growth rate is expected to approach a four-year high of 7.2 per cent in 2021 from a decline of 7 per cent in 2020, according to the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded: 1964
Power Finance Corporation issue India’s first-ever Euro Green Bonds
- Power Finance Corporation Limited (PFC) has successfully issued its maiden €300 million 7- year Euro bond issuance, which is the first-ever Euro-denominated Green Bond issuance from India.
Amit Narang was appointed as the Ambassador of India to Oman
- The incumbent joint secretary in the Union Ministry of External Affairs, Amit Narang, was appointed as the Ambassador of India to the Sultanate of Oman.
- He succeeded Munu Mahawar.
Munu Mahawar was appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Maldives
- The incumbent Ambassador of India to the Oman Munu Mahawar was appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Maldives.
Liz Truss was appointed as the Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom
- Liz Truss was appointed as the new Foreign Secretary, Commonwealth and Development Affairs and also Minister for Women and Equalities of the United Kingdom.
- She replaced Dominic Raab.
Awards & Recognitions
Rajbhasha Keerthi Puraskar Award was presented to National Mineral Development Limited
- The most prestigious ‘Rajbhasha Keerthi Puraskar’ Award was presented to National Mineral Development Limited (NMDC) under the Union Ministry of Steel during the Rajbhasha Diwas Samaroh in New Delhi.
UNESCO King Sejong Literacy Prize 2021 was awarded to NIOS for innovation in education
- The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) was awarded the UNESCO King Sejong Literacy Prize 2021 for its programme on ‘Enabling education of persons with disabilities (PWDs) through technology-enabled inclusive learning material with a specific focus on Indian Sign Language (ISL) based content’ at an event organised in New Delhi.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Mamata Banerjee are among the TIME’s 100 Most Influential People List
- TIME magazine has listed Prime Minister Narendra Modi, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Serum Institute of India CEO Adar Poonawalla among the 100 most influential people in the world for 2021.
- The US President Joe Biden and the US Vice-President Kamala Harris were among the others on the list.
Agreements and MoUs signed
Meenakshi Lekhi signs an agreement on labour mobility and facilitating recruitment of Indian citizens in Portugal
- During the visit to Portugal, Union Minister of State (MoS) for External Affairs Meenakshi Lekhi met with Secretary of State for International Affairs and Cooperation of Portugal Francisco Andre and signed a labour mobility agreement to make it easier for the recruitment of Indian residents to work in Portugal.
India participates in SCO counter-terror military exercise in Russia
- An Indian military force took part in the sixth edition of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) ‘Peaceful Mission’ 2021 exercise, which aimed to strengthen ties between the SCO member states in Orenburg, Russia, from 13–25 September.
Daily CA- 17 September one liners
|World Ozone Day – 16 September|
|Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Vice President Venkaiah Naidu launch Sansad TV|
|India chairs the meeting of BRICS heads of tax authorities|
|NITI Aayog launches ‘Shoonya’ programme to promote zero pollution delivery vehicles|
|Nitin Gadkari launches an AI-powered road safety project to reduce accidents by 50%|
|The UK, US and Australia announce a trilateral security partnership named AUKUS|
|India’s largest floating solar energy power plant was commissioned in Andhra Pradesh|
|UNCTAD projects India’s economic growth at 7.2% for 2021|
|Power Finance Corporation issue India’s first-ever Euro Green Bonds|
|Amit Narang was appointed as the Ambassador of India to Oman|
|Munu Mahawar was appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Maldives|
|Liz Truss was appointed as the Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom|
|Rajbhasha Keerthi Puraskar Award was presented to National Mineral Development Limited|
|UNESCO King Sejong Literacy Prize 2021 was awarded to NIOS for innovation in education|
|Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Mamata Banerjee are among the TIME’s 100 Most Influential People List|
|Meenakshi Lekhi signs an agreement on labour mobility and facilitating recruitment of Indian citizens in Portugal|
|India participates in SCO counter-terror military exercise in Russia|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of September 16, 2021, now from the link given below.