Mission Fingerling: Enhance the fisheries production from 10.79 mmt (2014-15) to 15 mmt
Enhance the fisheries production from 10.79 mmt (2014-15) to 15 mmt by 2020-21
- The Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare on 11 March 2017 launched Mission Fingerling.
- This is a programme aimed at achieving the Blue Revolution by enabling holistic development and management of fisheries.
- The main motive behind this programme is to enhance the fisheries production from 10.79 mmt (2014-15) to 15 mmt by 2020-21.
- To spur development in the fisheries sector, the Union Government envisaged a program named Blue Revolution.
- The Blue Revolution focuses on an enabling environment for an integrated and holistic development and management of fisheries for the socio economic development of fish farmers.
- This program with a total expenditure of around INR 52000 lakh will facilitate the establishment of hatcheries and Fingerling rearing pond to ensure the fish production of 426 crores Mission Fingerling.
- Around 25.50 crores Post Larvae of shrimp and crab in the country will also be covered.
- This will converge in the production of 20 lakh tonnes of fish annually and will benefit about 4 million families.
- It lays greater emphasis on infrastructure with an equally strong focus on management and conservation of the resources through technology transfer.
- Productivity enhancement will also be targeted through integration of various production oriented activities.
- This includes production of quality fish seeds, cost effective feed and adoption of technology etc.
- Fish Fingerling production is the single most important critical mission visualised to achieve fish production targets under the Blue Revolution.
- Use of high yielding verities of brooders is another significant aspect to be addressed on priority.
- The Union Agricultural Ministry identified 20 States based on their potential and other relevant factors to strengthen the Fish Seed infrastructure in the country.