WEEKLY CA ONE LINERS : MAY 2ND WEEK : MAY 8-14
- Two Indian warships, INS Mumbai and INS Aditya visited Egypt on Indian Navy’s overseas deployment to the Mediterranean Sea and the west coast of Africa.
- PM Narendra Modi addressed an Indian heads of mission meet in New Delhi on foreign policy issues in India’s engagement with Pakistan and China.
- Odisha will introduce boat ambulance service in four districts, Koraput, Malkangiri, Kendrapara and Kalahandi as part of an MoU signed between State Government and Ziquitza Health Care.
- A five day cultural festival organized in Cairo Embassy of India in Cairo and Maulana Azad Centre to mark the 155th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore from May 8 to 12.
- Jharkhand government signed a MoU with US-based technology major Oracle to enhance its IT infrastructure delivery of services
- India has been unanimously elected as the president of the UN-Habitat, to promote sustainable human settlements across the globe. The theme is ‘Opportunities for effective implementation of the New Urban Agenda’.
- Industrial promotion body DIPP and the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) have joined hands to establish Technology and Innovation Support Centres in to boost generation and commercialization of intellectual properties.
- India has decided to replace the Maitri research station in Antarctica with a new one in the next three or four years – Madhavan Nair Rajeevan, Ministry of Earth Sciences Secretary
- IRCTC is now offering home delivery of rail tickets and will allow passengers to make payment through any payment mode, including cash.
- Narendra Modi launched the integrated case management system of the Supreme Court which helps litigant’s access data and retrieve information online.
- Presiding over a review meeting of the states affected by Left-Wing Extremism (LWE), Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh announced a new strategy against the Maoists-SAMADHAN.
The Income Tax department has launched a new e-facility to link Aadhaar with the Permanent Account Number, (incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in) a mandatory procedure for filing IT returns now.
- West Bengal decided to set up a state-of-the-art plant tissue culture laboratory at Kolkata Biotech Park to enhance production and quality of plants and vegetables.
- Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh launched the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) Mobile Application “BSFMyApp” for Grievance Redressal of the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) personnel.
- India test-fires ‘Spyder’ surface-to-air missile from Odisha test range to neutralise enemy targets up to a distance of 15 km and at heights between 20-9,000 metres.
- The government has exempted residents of Assam, Jammu & Kashmir, Meghalaya, non-resident Indians, foreigners or any citizen above 80 years of age from mandatory quoting of Aadhaar while filing income tax returns
- Telangana First state to have logo for vehicles driven by person with hearing impairment – “Driver is deaf — Please watch out”.
- The Election Commission of India has launched the National Contact Centre and also gives a toll-free number 1800111950. Public can make a call to this number to get any information or to complaints either in English or Hindi
- Andhra Pradesh Government and Singapore will enter into MoU to enhance cooperation between them and to create opportunities to invest in the new capital
- Jordan and the United States kicked off “Eager Lion” seventh military exercises, It would include border security, cyber defence, and “command and control”
- China proposed a four-point initiative to overcome differences and deepen relations with India which includes aligning its ‘One Belt One Road’project with India’s Act East Policy.
- India and Japan have affirmed plans to strengthen their defence cooperation amid rising tension in the Asian region
- Sachin Tendulkar welcomed an Indian naval frigate as it docked on the river Thames in London. INS Tarkash, to mark UK India Year of Culture 2017.
- Pakistan and Iranhave set up a joint commission to ensure better border management that it will hit terror “safe havens” in its neighbouring country.
- PM Narendra Modi in the International Vesak Day celebrations and announced Air India will operate direct flights between Colombo and Varanasi from August
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a Rs 150 crore super-speciality hospital in Srilanka built with India’s assistance in Dickoya,
- Nepal on signed up to China’s new Silk Road drive, One Belt, One Road Initiative(OBOR), a massive infrastructure project to expand its global influence.
- Brazil has declared an end for the Zika virus on, 18 months after a surge in cases and ban was lifted following the less cases of zika in the country.
- The US State Department has approved the possible sale of 160 missilesto the United Arab Emirates for an estimated $2.0 billion as per pentagon report
BANKING & BUSINESS:
- India’s growth is expected to rebound to 2 per cent in the 2017-18 fiscal and 7.7 per cent in 2018-19 – IMF
- Bharti Airtel is partnering with taxi aggregator Ola to offer a range of digital services and to deliver enhanced convenience for customers
- Cash back portal com has tied up with YES Bank to launch card-linked offers as part of its loyalty programme for both offline and online shoppers.
- US tech giant Apple has acquired an app and sleep monitoring device,. Beddit an app designed to monitor daily sleep habits through the iPhone.
- The highest net NPA ratio was reported by Indian Overseas Bank(IOB) at 32%, followed by Dena Bank at 10.66% and United Bank of India at 10.62%
- Finance Secretary Ashok Lavasa announced that India can clock a GDP growth of over 5 per cent in the fiscal 2017-18
- Pro-European centrist leader Emmanuel Macron has been elected as President of France. Who becomes the youngest President and occupant of the Élysée Palace.
- Sunil Mehta,who was recently appointed as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of Punjab National Bank (PNB), Previously, Mehta was Executive Director of Corporation Bank
- US President Donald Trumphas appointed Neil Chatterjee to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, which oversees electricity, natural gas and oil at the national level.
- Press Secretary to President Pranab Mukherjee and senior diplomat Venu Rajamony has been appointed India’s Ambassador to the Netherlands.
- Moon Jae-in was sworn in as the President of South Korea after winning a landslide
- Senior railway official Anil Kumar Gupta has been appointed as the general manager of Western Railway (WR).
- The Indian cricketer, Sachin Tendulkar was awarded The Fellowship Award at the Asian Awards in London
- Three Indian-origin scientists;Krishna Chatterjee, Yadvinder Malhi and Subhash Khot known for their expertise in genetics, computers and ecology have been elected fellows of the Royal Society
- Mogul Yusuff Alimanaging director of Lulu Group International and Pepsico executive Sanjeev Chadha are among the top 100 Indian business leaders in the Arab World 2017, according to a Forbes ranking for the Middle East.
- May 8: World Red Cross day. Birthday anniversary of Henry Dunant, founder of the International Committee of Red Cross.
- May 11- National Technology Day. Theme of 2017 is ‘Technology for inclusive and sustainable growth’.
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaikun veiled the logo and mascot of the Asian athletics championship, ‘Olly the turtle’ to be held in July.
- India Women pacer Jhulan Goswami became the all-time leading wicket-taker in ODIs, overtaking former Australia pacer Cathryn Fitzpatrick’s tally of 180.
- Sachin Tendulkar to become the new owners of the four new Pro Kabaddi League (PKL)teams in the fifth season of the tournament, to be played from July to October.
- Asian Wrestling Championships: Sakshi Malik, Vinesh Phogat clinch silver; Ritu wins bronze
- Bajrang Puniawon India’s gold medal on the Asian Wrestling Championship, in the men’s 65kg freestyle category at the Indira Gandhi Sports Complex.
- Maruti Suzuki India’s one of its independent directors Amal Ganguli79, passed away after a prolonged illness.
- Nepal’s 86-year-old mountaineer Min Bahadur Sherchan, who was once the oldest climber to scale the Mount Everest, died
- Stanley Weston, inventor of the I. Joe action figureand a pioneer of the licensing business, died in Los Angeles.
- Michael Parks, a prolific character actor has died. He was 77.
- Himachal Pradesh Ayurveda and Cooperative Affairs Minister Karan Singhfrom Congress passed away in AIIMS, New Delhi.
- Former Principal Information Officer to the Government of India, Ramamohan Rao passed away. Mr. Rao, was also media adviser to four former Prime Ministers — Rajiv Gandhi, V.P. Singh, Chandrashekhar and P.V. Narasimha Rao.