CURRENT AFFAIRS JANUARY 11, 2018
CURRENT AFFAIRS JANUARY 11, 2018
PM to commence Barmer refinery project
- Prime Minister would announce construction of a refinery at Barmer in Rajasthan.
- The project will be started at an estimated cost of Rs. 43,129 crore project.
- It will be located in Pachpadra, Barmer, Rajasthan.
- The project will be completed by 2022-23.
- The equity share of HPCL is 74% and Government of Rajasthan is 26%.
Chief Minister: Vasundhara Raje
Governor: Kalyan Singh
President to inaugurate International Dharma Dhamma conference
- President Ram Nath Kovind to inaugurate 4th International Dharma-Dhamma Conference on the theme”State and Social Order in Dharma-Dhamma Traditions” at Rajgir in Nalanda district, Bihar.
- The conference has been jointly organised by India Foundation, Nalanda University, Ministry of External Affairs, Asean-India and Vietnamese Buddhist Sangha.
- It is aimed to facilitate share ideas, values and foster harmony at the global level.
- The event is being organised as part of the commemorative events to celebrate the Silver Jubilee year of ASEAN-India Dialogue Partnership.
Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar
Governor: Satya Pal Malik
UIDAI Introduces ‘Virtual ID’ for Aadhaar Data
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has introduced a concept of ‘Virtual ID’
- It aims to strengthen privacy and security of Aadhaar number.
- The adhaar holder can generate from UIDAI website and give for various purposes, including SIM verification, instead of sharing the actual 12-digit biometric ID.
- The Virtual ID will be a temporary 16 digit random number mapped to a person’s Aadhaar number.
- From June 1, 2018 it will be compulsory for all agencies that undertake authentication to accept the Virtual ID from their users
Headquarters: New Delhi
UIDAI Chief Executive Officer(CEO): Ajay Bhushan Pandey
World’s largest solar thermal plant to be built in South Australia
- The world’s largest solar-thermal power plant has been given development approval by the South Australian government.
- It is a 150-megawatt Aurora plant and it will be built by utility-scale solar power company SolarReserve.
- It will be started in 2018 at an estimated cost of $509 million.
- It would create 650 construction jobs and 50 ongoing positions when completed.
- South Australia’s acting energy minister: Chris Picton
K Sivan appointed as new ISRO Chairman
- K Sivan has been appointed as the new Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- He is at present Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre in Thiruvananthapuram.
- He would replace current ISRO chief AS Kiran Kumar and will have a tenure of three years.
- Sivan’s appointment was approved by Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- The Headquarters of ISRO is located at Bengaluru.
Harjinder Singh appointed as Chef de Mission for Winter Olympics
- The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has appointed Harjinder Singh as the Chef De Mission for the 23rd Winter Olympic Games.
- The 23rd winter olympics will be held in February 2018 in Pyeongchang. Pyeongchang is in Gangwon province a region in South Korea.
- It was announced IOA President Narinder Dhruv Batra.
- He currently holds the post of General Secretary in the Ice Hockey Association of India.
Indian Olympic Association
Headquarters: New Delhi, India
Secretary General: Mr. Rajeev Mehta
Indian-origin businessman appointed WBCSD Chairman
- Singapore-based Indian-origin businessman Sunny Verghese has been appointed as the Chairman of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development.
- He is the Co-Founder and the CEO of Singapore’s agri-business group Olam International Limited.
- He succeeded Paul Polman, the CEO of Unilever and will serve a two-year term.
- The World Business Council for Sustainable Development is a global advocacy association of some 200 international companies dealing exclusively with business and sustainable development.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Amazon’s Jeff Bezos becomes richest person in history
- According to Bloomberg’s billionaire tracker, Amazon’s Chief Operating officer Jeff Bezos is now the richest person in history with net worth more than Bill Gates.
- He has net worth of $105.1 billion and surpassed Bill Gates with net worth of $93.3 billion
- Warren Buffett who has net worth $87.3 billion was third on the list. Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg was fourth in the list with a net worth of $77.3 billion.
Paytm Launches new Investment Arm
- One97 Communications Ltd, that runs Paytm, has set up a new entity called Paytm Money Ltd.
- The new company will be headed by Pravin Jadhav as senior vice-president.
- It will offer investment and wealth management products and it will invest nearly $10 million in the new entity.
- Paytm Money is the fourth product from One97’s stable after Paytm Mall, Paytm Payments Bank and Paytm wallet.
- It will be available as a separate mobile application to users.
CEO of One97 Communications Ltd: Vijay Shekar Sharma
Anchal Thakur Bags bronze Medal in Skiing
- Aanchal Thakur wins bronze medal in Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup in Turkey.
- She is the first Indian to win a medal at an international skiing event.
- She won the medal in the slalom race category.
- The Championship was organized by the Federation Internationale de Ski (skiing’s international governing body) in Erzurum, Turkey.
Aditya Mehta Wins Kolkata Open 2018
- Aditya Mehta clinched the Kolkata Open International Invitation Snooker Championship at the Hindustan Club in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- He defeated Englishman Professional Player Alfie Burden to clinch the title.
CHECK YOUR KNOWLEDGE HERE: DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS QUIZ : JANUARY 11, 2018