Daily Current Affairs: April 23, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (April 23, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Book And Copyright Day – 23 April
- World Book And Copyright Day is observed globally on 23 April every year to promote and recognise the benefit of reading books, publishing and copyright.
- World Book Day is organised by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
- Guadalajara of Mexico was named World Book Capital for the year 2022. The city of Madrid (Spain) was the first city to be named World Book Capital in 2001.
UN English Language Day – 23 April
- UN English Language Day is observed to spread awareness and respect for the history, culture and achievements of each of the six UN working languages namely English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish and Russian.
- This day is also known for both the birthday and date of death of world-famous playwright William Shakespeare.
- This day was established by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 2010.
Apple announces a new partnership to protect mangroves in the Raigad district
- Apple has partnered with the Applied Environmental Research Foundation (AERF) and Conservation International to protect the mangrove ecosystem and the livelihoods that depend on it in the Raigad district of Maharashtra.
- Apple awarded a grant to the Applied Environmental Research Foundation (AERF) in 2021 to work with the local community to protect a 2,400-hectare mangrove forest in the region.
Banking and Economy
RBI launches the Business Sentiment Assessment Survey
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has launched the next round of the quarterly Industrial Outlook Survey (IOS) to assess business sentiment for the current quarter and expectations for the ensuing three-month period.
- This survey assesses business sentiment and expectations based on qualitative responses on a set of indicators pertaining to demand conditions, financial conditions, employment and the price situation.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Formation: 1 April 1935
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: K. Jain, M. D. Patra, M. Rajeshwar Rao and T. Rabi Sankar
- Subsidiaries: Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran Limited (BRBNML)
Agreements and MoUs Signed
APEDA signs MoU with NRDC to boost export value chain
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) for the implementation of the Agri Export Policy and to strengthen the export value chain.
- This MoU was inked for utilising both the organisations’ expertise by working together to synergise the activities in the interest of agriculture and allied sectors for bringing better value to the stakeholders.
- This MoU’s mandate is to infuse and disseminate technologies jointly with APEDA in the areas of climate-resilient agriculture related to zero car.
IIT Delhi signs an MoU with POSOCO for Research on India’s Power Sector and Strengthen Academia and Industry Interaction
- IIT Delhi has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO)-NRLDC to encourage research on issues relating to India’s power sector and strengthen collaboration between academia and industry.
- The goal of this partnership is to improve academia-industry interaction with the objective of knowledge sharing and capacity building through collaboration as well as to promote research on topics related to India’s power sector.
Science and Technology
OneWeb inks pact with New Space India Limited for launching satellites
- Bharti group-backed OneWeb has partnered with the New Space India Limited, the commercial arm of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to complete OneWeb’s satellite launch programme.
- The first launch with New Space India is expected in 2022 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC), Sriharikota.
Suman K. Bery was appointed as the new Vice-Chairman NITI Aayog
- Suman K. Bery was appointed the new Vice-Chairman of the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog. He succeeded Rajiv Kumar, who was serving as Vice-Chairman of the NITI Aayog since 2017.
- He previously served as a member of India’s Statistical Commission, Reserve Bank of India’s Technical Advisory Committee on Monetary Policy as well as the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council.
National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog)
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
- Chairperson: Suman K. Bery
- Vice Chairperson: Rajiv Kumar
Mathias Boe was re-appointed as Indian badminton doubles coach for Commonwealth Games and Asian Games
- Mathias Boe was re-appointed as Indian badminton doubles coach for Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. He previously coached India’s badminton doubles team.
- The Sports Authority of India’s (SAI) Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) approved monthly financial assistance of ₹ 7 lakh to re-hire Boe until the end of the Asian Games.
- The Mission Olympic Cell (MOC) approved key proposals from the Badminton Association of India (BAI) in addition to Boe’s appointment.
Awards and Recognitions
UNEP names David Attenborough Champion of The Earth Lifetime Achievement Award 2021
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has named wildlife filmmaker and zoologist, David Attenborough as the recipient of the Champions of the Earth Award 2021.
- He was awarded under the Lifetime Achievement category for his dedication to research, documentation and advocacy for the protection of nature and its restoration.
FINA Suspends Olympic Champion Evgeny Rylov for nine months
- Swimming’s world governing body Federation Internationale de Natation (FINA) had suspended Russian Olympic gold medallist Evgeny Rylov for nine months after he attended a rally in Moscow in support of Russia’s military campaign in Ukraine.
- He won gold in 100 and 200 metres backstroke events at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of April 22, 2022, now from the link given below.