DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: APRIL 28,29, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (April 28,29, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Government hikes customs duty on wheat to 40%:
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), through a notification, has hiked the basic customs duty (BCD) on wheat to 40 percent from 30 percent to curb imports and protect the domestic industry.
- The government wants to restrict overseas purchase so that domestic prices of wheat do not come under pressure as the country’s wheat output is expected to scale a record high this year.
RBI gets SC ultimatum on RTI Act disclosures:
- The Supreme Court bench headed by Justice L Nageswara Rao has ordered the Reserve Bank of India to disclose its annual inspection reports of banks, along with the list of wilful defaulters and information related to them under the Right to Information Act.
2nd Belt and Road Forum held in Beijing:
- The second edition of Belt and Road Forum (BRF) was held in Beijing, China.
- The theme of this event was “Belt and Road Cooperation: Shaping a Brighter Shared Future”. The Belt and Road Forum is a part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- European countries such as Italy (joined BRI in March 2019) and Luxembourg have joined the project. Italy and China signed an MoU with deals worth 2.5 billion euros including working together to develop Italy’s port infrastructure, transport and logistics. 13 EU member states are already part of BRI.
BANKING & BUSINESS
Canara Bank, Canara HSBC OBC Life launch ‘Webassurance’:
- Public sector lender Canara Bank and its life insurance partner Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance has announced the launch of ’Webassurance’.
- Four life insurance products of Canara HSBC OBC Life would be made available to customers of Canara Bank, covering the key needs of child future, savings and investments, retirement planning and protection.
- Canara HSBC OBC Life is jointly owned by two public sector banks Canara Bank (51 per cent) and Oriental Bank of Commerce (23 per cent) and HSBC Insurance (Asia Pacific) Holdings (26 per cent), the Asian insurance arm of banking and financial services groups HSBC.
FSS Launches ‘FSS Voice Commerce’: A Real Time Voice Banking Platform
- FSS has launched FSS Voice Commerce, a real-time voice banking platform that offers customers, meaningful, contextual and personalized banking interactions.
- Enabling banks to deepen customer engagement via conversation-led banking and deliver interactive service experiences to its customers, FSS Voice Commerce is set to take frictionless banking to the next level.
REPORTS/RANKINGS BY VARIOUS ORGANISATIONS
EIU set to lower India’s growth outlook for 2019-20:
- Indian economy will grow below its potential in 2019-20, said a report from the Hong Kong-based The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) while warning it is set to lower its own current estimate of 7.2 per cent for the country’s GDP growth rate in its next forecast round.
- Both Asian Development Bank (ADB) and Reserve Bank of India (RBI) earlier this month cut their 2019-20 growth projection for India to 2 per cent from 7.4 per cent earlier, blaming rising risks to global economic growth as well as weakening domestic investment activity.
India to install 54.7 GW wind capacity by 2022: Fitch Solutions
- India is likely to install 7 GW of wind capacity by 2022 against the 60-GW target set by the government, Fitch Solutions Macro Research has said in a report.
- The country has set an ambitious target of installing 175 GW of renewable energy capacity by the year 2022, which includes 100 GW from solar, 60 GW from wind, 10 GW from bio-power and 5 GW from small hydro-power.
- According to a year-end review released by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) in December 2018, the country seeks to tender a total 20 GW of wind capacity by March 2020.
IRDAI forms panel to review microinsurance framework:
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has set up a committee to review the regulatory framework on microinsurance and recommend measures to increase the demand for such products.
- With IRDAI Executive Director Suresh Mathur as the chairman, the 13-member panel has been tasked with suggesting product designs with customer-friendly underwriting, including easy premium payment methods and simple claims settlement procedures.
M S Yadav elected GS of newly formed AIFPTIEU:
- M S Yadav has been elected as General Secretary of the newly formed, All India Federation of PTI Employees’ Unions (AIFPTIEU) by the 45 elected council members from different centres of PTI (Press Trust of India) during the two days meeting in
- P C Maity was elected as treasurer. Md. Sallimuddin and O J Tomy were elected vice-presidents while M S Hasan and B T Mohan Rao were elected assistant general secretaries.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Ex-South Africa all-rounder Jacques Kallis receives Ikhamanga Award:
- Ex-South Africa all-rounder Jacques Kallis has been honoured with the Order of Ikhamanga in the Silver Division.
- The national honour is bestowed by the President of South Africa on citizens who have made significant contributions to arts, literature, music, journalism, culture and sports.
Sharath Kamal wins sportsperson of year award:
- Ace table tennis player A Sharath Kamal was honoured with the Sportsperson of the Year Award at the annual awards and scholarships function organised by the Tamil Nadu Sports Journalists’ Association (TNSJA) and the India Cements.
- TNSJA Lifetime Achievement awardees: Vijay Amritraj (Indian tennis player), V V Kumar (former India leg-spinner), R Gnanasekaran (Asian Games gold medallist (200m). Coach of the year: R B Ramesh (chess coach)
- TNSJA Team of the year 2018-19: Tamil Nadu Women’s Football team.
- TNSJA Young Achiever of the year 2018-19: P M Tabitha (athlete)
- TNSJA Young Achiever of the year 2018-19: D.Gukesh (world’s second youngest Grand Master).
ISSF Rifle/Pistol World Cup 2019: India finishes top of medal tally with four medals
- India drew blank on the final day but still topped the chart for the second consecutive ISSF World Cup, third time in two years, by bagging three gold and a silver at the Beijing edition of the Rifle/Pistol event.
- India topped the medals tally ahead of hosts China (2 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze), who won five medals in total.
- Anjum Moudgil and young Divyansh Singh Panwar – Gold in the 10m Air Rifle Mixed Team competition.
- Teenaged pair of Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary- Gold in the 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team Pistol event.
- Abhishek Verma – Gold in men’s 10m Air Pistol event.
- Divyansh – Won India’s first individual medal by clinching a silver in the men’s 10m Air Rifle.
Thiem Sprints Past Medvedev To Clinch Barcelona Title:
- Dominic Thiem overpowered Daniil Medvedev to win the Barcelona Open title, boosting his credentials as a potential Roland Garros champion. He is also the first Austrian to take the Barcelona title since Thomas Muster in 1996.
2019 Badminton Asia Championships:
- The 2019 Badminton Asia Championships, is a badminton tournament which took place at Wuhan Sports Center Gymnasium in China. The 2019 Badminton Asia Championships was the 39th edition of the Badminton Asia Championships.This tournament was hosted by the Chinese Badminton Association.
Here is the complete list of winners of 2019 Badminton Asia Championships:
|Men’s singles||Kento Momota (Japan)|
|Women’s singles||Akane Yamaguchi (Japan)|
|Men’s doubles||Hiroyuki Endo and Yuta Watanabe (Japan)|
|Women’s doubles||Chen Qingchen and Jia Yifan (China)|
Wang Yilü and Huang Dongping (China)
Australia’s Claire Polosak set to become first woman umpire to stand in men’s ODI:
- Australia’s Claire Polosak will create history as the first woman umpire ever to stand in a men’s One-Day International when she takes the field in the final of the ICC World Cricket League Division 2.
Stuttgart Open: Petra Kvitova triumphs to win second singles title of 2019
- Petra Kvitova has become the first player to win two WTA singles titles this year after beating Anett Kontaveit in the Stuttgart’s Porsche Tennis Grand Prix final.
IMPORTANT EVENTS OF THE DAY
International Dance Day: April 29th
- International Dance Day is a global celebration of dance, created by the Dance Committee of the International Theatre Institute (ITI), the main partner for the performing arts of UNESCO. The event takes place every year on 29th April, the anniversary of the birth of Jean-Georges Noverre (1727–1810), the creator of modern ballet.
Former Ethiopian president Negasso Gidada dies aged 75:
- Germany – Former Ethiopian president Negasso Gidada has died in Germany where he was undergoing medical treatment for an unspecified illness.
- Negasso, who was 75, was president between 1995 and 2001 and was the first head of state after Ethiopia adopted a new constitution transforming the country into a federal state, with increased autonomy given to the different regions.
Aspirants can BUY the LIC AAO 2019 – Online Prelims Exam Package from our Bankersdaily Store which is provided in the link.
If you have any doubts regarding the CWC – Junior Superintendent – Online Prelims Exam Test Series 2019 , kindly contact us @ store[at]therace.in