Daily Current Affairs: April 29, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (April 29, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Girls in ICT Day – 28 April
- International Girls in Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Day is observed annually on the fourth Thursday in April to encourage equal participation in ICT technologies.
- This year (2022), observed on 28 April. This day aims to inspire a global movement to increase the representation of girls and women in technology.
- The theme for International Girls in ICT Day 2022 is ‘Access and safety’.
World Day for Safety and Health at Work – 28 April
- World Day for Safety and Health at Work is observed on 28 April every year to create awareness and prevent occupational disease in addition to accidents across the world.
- The International Labour Organisation (ILO) first began to observe World Day for Safety and Health at Work in the year 2003 to prevent accidents and diseases at work.
- The theme for World Day for Safety and Health at Work 2022 is ‘Act together to build a positive safety and health culture’.
Google signs an MoU with Telangana to bring benefits of the digital economy to youth and women entrepreneurs
- Google has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Telangana government to bring benefits of the digital economy to youth and women entrepreneurs.
- Under this new initiative, Google will collaborate with Telangana through its various arms to extend scholarships for Google Career Certificates to Telangana’s youth, support women entrepreneurs through digital, business and financial skills training and strengthen the government’s school modernisation efforts with digital teaching and learning tools and solutions.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Chief Minister: Chandrashekar Rao
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- National Parks: KasuBrahmananda Reddy National Park, Mahaveer Harina National Park, Mrugavani National Park
Maharashtra becomes India’s first state to develop a Migration Tracking System app for portability of the ICDS scheme
- Maharashtra became India’s first state to develop a website-based Migration Tracking System (MTS) application to track the movement of migrant workers through individual unique identity numbers.
- This MTS project aims to ensure the continuity of Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) for migrant beneficiaries, such as children under the age of 18, lactating mothers and pregnant women who are registered with Anganwadi centres.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- National Parks: Chandoli National Park, Gugamal National Park, Nawegaon National Park, Jawaharlal Nehru (Pench) National Park, Sanjay Gandhi (Borivilli) National Park, Tadoba National Park
India, Russia and China on US’ intellectual property protection ‘Priority Watch List’
- The United States has put India and six other countries including China and Russia on its annual ‘Priority Watch List’ for intellectual property protection and enforcement. Other countries on the watch list include Argentina, Chile, Indonesia and Venezuela.
- These countries will be the subject of particularly intense bilateral engagement during the coming year, said the Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR).
Banking and Economy
Pencilton introduces contactless RuPay card in the form of keychain
- A teen-focused fintech startup Pencilton has launched ‘PencilKey’ a National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) compliant RuPay contactless keychain in partnership with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and Transcorp.
- Users can activate and manage their PencilKey through the Pencilton app, which is also used to load money, check spends, block/unblock the account, set limits, etc.,
BoB launches new feature for seniors on a mobile banking platform
- Bank of Baroda (BoB) has launched a new feature on its mobile banking platform named ‘bob World Gold’ for senior citizens.
- This new feature on the Bank’s ‘bob World’ mobile banking platform has easy navigation, large fonts, sufficient spacing and clear menus with added features like a ready-to-assist voice-based search service.
Bank of Baroda (BOB)
- Headquarters: Baroda (Vadodara), Gujarat
- MD and CEO: Sanjiv Chadha
- Chairman: Hasmukh Adhia
- Tagline: India’s International Bank
Agreements and MoUs Signed
ONGC inks MoU with Norway’s energy giant Equinor ASA
- State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has signed a pact with Norwegian energy giant Equinor ASA for collaboration in oil and gas exploration and production as well as clean energy projects.
- This agreement aimed for collaboration and partnership in areas of upstream exploration and production, midstream, downstream and clean energy options including carbon capture utilisation and sequestration (CCUS).
NTPC inks an MoU with Energy Vault for gravity-based energy storage technology
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Energy Vault Holdings, Inc., a leader in sustainable, grid-scale energy storage solutions.
- The objective of this MoU is to collaborate and formalise a long-term strategic partnership for the deployment of Energy Vault’s EVx™, a gravity-based energy storage technology and software solutions based on the outcome of a joint feasibility study.
- This technology also offers beneficial utilisation of coal ash for the manufacturing of composite blocks.
Vijay Sampla was appointed as the Chairperson of NCSC for the second time
- Former Union minister Vijay Sampla was appointed as the Chairperson of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) for the second time.
- He was the Chairman of the Punjab Khadi Board from 2008 to 2012 and the Chairman of the Punjab State Forest Development Corporation in 2014.
- He was then elected to the Lok Sabha from Hoshiarpur and became a Union Minister in 2015.
Shivalik Small Finance Bank appoints former RBL bank retail Chief Anshul Swami as its MD and CEO
- Anshul Swami was appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Shivalik Small Finance Bank. He replaced Suveer Kumar Gupta.
- He had over 20 years of experience across various customer and geographic segments. He has worked across various customer segments like retail, MSME, microfinance and Agri.
Awards and Recognitions
Atal Tunnel receives ‘Best Infrastructure Project’ award
- Atal Tunnel has received the Indian Building Congress’ (IBC) ‘Best Infrastructure Project’ This Atal Tunnel was built in Rohtang in Himachal Pradesh by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
- This 02 km long Atal Tunnel is the longest highway tunnel globally and connects Manali to Lahaul-Spiti valley.
Ardeshir B. K. Dubash conferred a highest diplomatic award by the Government of Peru
- The former Honorary Consul of Peru in Mumbai, Ardeshir B. K. Dubash received the Order of ‘Merit in the Diplomatic Service of Peru José Gregorio Paz Soldán’, the highest distinction conferred by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Peru.
- This award is normally reserved for career diplomats, who have excelled in their work to promote the democratic, historical and institutional values of the Ministry, and who have made outstanding contributions to Peruvian foreign policy.
- Capital: Lima
- Currency: Peruvian Sol
- President: Jose Pedro Castillo Terrones
- Prime Minister: Walter Roger Martos Ruiz
Structural Biologist Mamannamana Vijayan passed away at 80
- Molecular biophysicist and structural biologist professor Mamannamana Vijayan passed away at the age of 80.
- He became a Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy in 1987 and was also a Fellow of other major Academies including The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS).
Former women’s hockey team captain Elvera Britto passed away at 81
- Former Indian women’s hockey team captain Elvera Britto passed away due to old age-related problems.
- She became only the second woman hockey player to be conferred with the Arjuna Award in 1965 after Anne Lumsden (1961).
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of April 22, 2022, now from the link given below.