Daily Current Affairs : November 14, 15 & 16, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (November 14, 15 & 16, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 14, 15 & 16, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
World Diabetes Day- November 14:
- World Diabetes Day was created in 1991 by International Diabetes Federation (IDF) and WHO in response to growing concerns about escalating health threat posed by diabetes.
- Campaign is represented by a blue circle logo that was adopted in 2007 after passage of UN Resolution on diabetes.
- Theme: “The Nurse and Diabetes”
World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims- 15 November:
- World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims was started by Road Peace in 1993.
- On 26 October 2005, the UN-endorsed it as a global day to be observed every 3rd Sunday in November every year, making it a major advocacy day for road traffic injury prevention.
National Press Day- November 16:
- National Press Day is observed on November 16 every year to celebrate free and responsible press in India.
- On this day the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog to ensure that the press maintains high standards and is not constrained by any influence or threats.
- Theme: “Role of Media during the COVID-19 Pandemic and its Impact on Media”
International Day for Tolerance- November 16:
- International Day for Tolerance is observed every year on November 16.
- It is an annual observance day declared by UNESCO in 1995 to generate public awareness of the dangers of intolerance.
- This action came in the wake of the United Nations Year for Tolerance, 1995, proclaimed by the assembly in 1993.
Prime Minister Modi unveils ‘Statue of Peace’ to mark 151st birth anniversary of Jainacharya Vijay Vallabh in Rajasthan:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled the ‘Statue of Peace’ in Rajasthan’s Pali to mark the 151st Jayanti celebrations of Jainacharya Shree Vijay Vallabh Surishwer Ji Maharaj, via video conferencing.
- The 151-inch tall statue has been made from Ashtadhatu- 8 metals, with Copper being the major constituent, and is being installed at Vijay Vallabh Sadhana Kendra, Jetpura, in Pali, Rajasthan.
- Capital: Jaipur
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra.
Union Home Ministry amends Foreign Contribution Regulation Act rules, 2011:
- Ministry of Home Affairs has relaxed norms for farmer, student, religious & other groups who aren’t directly aligned to any political party to receive foreign funds if groups aren’t involved in active politics. Ministry notified new rules under FCRA, 2010. FCRA come into force from 29th April 2011.
- Under clause (b) of sub-section (4) of section 12 of the Act, The NGOs (Non-Government Organizations) that intend to receive foreign funding must have existed for at least three years and spent Rs 15 lakh in voluntary activities to be eligible to receive money from abroad.
Nitish Kumar to be sworn-in as Chief Minister of Bihar for 7th term
- Nitish Kumar has sworn-in as Chief Minister of Bihar for the seventh term. He was unanimously elected leader of the NDA at a meeting of its newly-elected MLAs in Patna. There will be one minister each from NDA allies.
- Tarkishore Prasad and Renu Devi were sworn-in as Deputy Chief Ministers. Renu Devi is the First Woman Deputy CM of Bihar.
- Capital: Patna.
- Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar.
- Deputy CM: Tarkishore Prasad and Renu Devi.
- Governor: Fagu Chauhan.
Sports Ministry announces new incentive structure to fund 500 private academies:
- In a first-ever move, the Sports Ministry has introduced a incentivisation structure to extend monetary support to 500 private academies, through the Khelo India Scheme over the next 4 years starting Financial Year 2020-21.
- In this model, private academies shall be graded into different categories based on quality achievement of players trained by the academy, level of coaches available at the academy, quality of Field of Play and allied infrastructure, availability of sports science facilities and staff.
L&T Emerges as Lowest Bidder for the country’s Longest River Bridge in Northeast:
- Infrastructure major Larsen & Toubro has emerged as the lowest bidder to construct a 20 km, 4-lane road bridge across the River Brahmaputra from Dhubri of Assam to Phulbair of Meghalaya, which will be the India’s longest bridge over a river in North-east.
- National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (NHIDCL) is the executing agency and is expected to be completed by 2026-27.
Survey of vulture habitats starts in Madhya Pradesh:
- Survey of vulture habitats has started in Madhya Pradesh for how many vultures are left and what measures should be taken for their protection. For this work, Van Vihar National Park of Bhopal has been made the nodal agency.
- Vultures have always been considered an important part of the Ecosystem. According to Wildlife Headquarters, after this survey, the vultures will be counted in the state.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Anandiben Patel (Additional Charge).
IRCTC Bharat Darshan Yatra from December 12, 2020:
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) will organize ‘Bharat Darshan–Dakshin Bharat Yatra’ from Hyderabad and Secunderabad from December 12 to 18, 2020.
- The theme of the yatra is able to cowl Sri Rangam (Ranganathaswamy temple), Brihadeswara temple at Thanjavur, Rameswaram, Madurai Meenakshi and Kanyakumari, is to ‘Show India to Indians’.
Lonar Lake in Buldana district of Maharashtra declared as a wetland area under ‘Ramsar Convention’:
- Lonar crater Lake in Buldhana district of Maharashtra was formed by a meteorite impact about 50,000 years ago, has been declared as a wetland area under ‘Ramsar Convention’.
- It has been declared as the 41st place in the country and second ‘Ramsar site’ in Maharashtra.
Keetham lake in Uttar Pradesh added to Ramsar sites:
- The Keetham lake, also known as Sur Sarovar, in Agra of Uttar Pradesh has been added to the list of Ramsar sites. More than 106 species of migratory bird’s rest in Sur Sarovar lake. The water of the lake is obtained from Agra Canal. The canal originates from Okhla barrage on River Yamuna in Delhi.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
Retail inflation inches up to 7.61% in October on rising food prices:
- Driven by rising food prices, retail inflation inched up to 7.61 per cent in October, remaining above the comfort level of the Reserve Bank.
- According to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) data released by government inflation stood at 7.27 percent in September 2020. It was 4.62 percent in October 2019.
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar represents India at 15th East Asia Summit (EAS) 2020:
- External Affairs Minister Dr S. Jaishankar has represented India at the 15th East Asia Summit (EAS) on behalf of PM Modi.
- The Summit was chaired by the Prime Minister of Vietnam Nguyen Xuan Phuc because Vietnam is ASEAN Chair in 2020 (ASEAN holds the central role and leadership in the forum).
- All the 18 EAS countries participated in the virtual Summit.
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan attends 8th BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Ministerial Meet:
- The 8th BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Ministerial meeting was through a virtual platform for Science and Technology cooperation among the member countries, which are Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- The meeting was held under the Chairmanship of Russian Federation. (Russia is the Chair for 12th BRICS Summit). Union Minister of Science and Technology, Dr Harsh Vardhan represented the Indian delegation at the meeting.
Banking and Economy:
GDP shrank 8.6% in Q2 pushing Indian economy into recession:
- India’s economy rebounded sharply in the wake of the reopening from lockdowns, slowing the pace of its contraction to 8.6% in the second quarter, a ‘Nowcast’ in the RBI’s monthly bulletin showed.
- India will enter into a recession for 1st time in history in 1st half of this fiscal with 2 successive quarters of negative growth due to COVID-19 pandemic.
SBM Bank India Partnered with PayNearby to Launch a Neo Banking Platform ‘Nivesh’:
- Wholly-owned subsidiary of State Bank of Mauritius SBM Bank India has partnered with Fintech PayNearby to launch a neo banking platform.
- It aims to build an “Open Banking” network towards delivering basic banking solutions as well as advanced financial services, to their customers.
- The neo banking service launched is called ‘Nivesh’ and is a unique Goal Based Recurring Deposit Platform.
- SBM Bank India was the first foreign bank in India to obtain a banking licence from the Reserve Bank of India to operate as a Wholly Owned Subsidiary in January 2019.
HDFC Bank and IndusInd in ‘red flag’ list on nearing foreign investment Cap-Business Journal:
- HDFC Bank and IndusInd Bank have been put in ‘red flag’ list, a system used for monitoring Foreign Portfolio Investor (FPI) limits.
- A listed company enters the list when the available legroom for overseas investment is less than 3% of the permissible limit. FPIs can invest up to 74% in both HDFC Bank and IndusInd Bank.
RBI imposes Rs 1 crore penalty on Punjab National Bank:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed ₹1 crore penalty for contravention of nature referred in Section 26(6) of Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007.
- RBI observed that PNB was operating a bilateral ATM sharing arrangement with Druk PNB Bank, Bhutan, without prior approval from RBI. Payment & Settlement Systems Act commenced on 12th August 2008.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
- Embassy Group has signed an MoU with the Government of Karnataka, Department of Education for improvement of Government Schools in Bangalore.
- MoU is to provide educational resources, infrastructural support, and holistic health programs for 20 Government Schools at a cost of Rs 15 crores.
- The MoU was be signed for a period of two years.
IRDAI gives final nod for merger of HDFC ERGO Health with HDFC ERGO General Insurance:
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has given the final nod for the merger of HDFC ERGO Health Insurance with HDFC ERGO General Insurance. As per the scheme of amalgamation through a share swap deal, there will be dissolution of HDFC ERGO Health without winding up.
- National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) has sanctioned the scheme of amalgamation between HDFC ERGO Health Insurance (formerly Apollo Munich Health Insurance Co Ltd) and HDFC ERGO General Insurance Co Ltd (HDFC ERGO) on September 30, 2020.
Science and Technology:
India successfully test-fires Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile system in Odisha:
- India successfully test-fired the all-weather Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QRSAM) system at an integrated test range in Chandipur off the Odisha coast.
- QRSAM is capable of providing air defence on the move and has a range of 30 km.
Enforcement Directorate (ED) Director S K Mishra’s tenure extended by one year:
- Union government has extended the tenure of Enforcement Directorate (ED) Director Sanjay Kumar Mishra by a year after modifying his appointment order that was issued in 2018.
- His tenure was to end next week as the ED director’s post comes with a fixed term of two years.
Myanmar’s Chief Aung San Suu Kyi wins landslide victory in Parliamentary election 2020:
- Myanmar’s ruling National League for Democracy (NLD) party leader Aung San Suu Kyi has claimed landslide victory in the 2020 Parliamentary election to form the next government.
- The NLD secured 346 seats, which is more than the 322 seats needed to form the next government.
- President: Win Myint.
- State Counsellor: Aung San Suu Kyi.
- Capital: Naypyitaw.
- Currency: Burmese Kyat.
Awards and Recognitions:
Bangladeshi teen Sadat Rahman wins International Children’s Peace Prize 2020 for Fighting Cyberbullying:
- A 17-year-old Bangladeshi boy Sadat Rahman has won this year’s International Children’s Peace Prize 2020 for his work to fight cyberbullying in his country.
- He was awarded the prize for his involvement in setting up his social organization and mobile app ‘Cyber Teens’ to stop cyberbullying. The award was given away by the Nobel Peace Prize laureate Malala Yousafzai during a ceremony in the Netherlands.
Nobel laureate physicist Masatoshi Koshiba passed away at 94:
- Professor Masatoshi Koshiba, one of Japan’s most eminent scientists, died at the age of 94. He shared 2002 Nobel prize for the detection of cosmic neutrinos. Koshiba’s most famous work involved detecting neutrinos from a distant supernova explosion using a vast detector based in a mine in central Japan.
Haryana’s First Woman MP and Former Puducherry LG Chandrawati passed away at 92:
- Haryana’s first woman MP and former Puducherry Lt Governor Chandrawati passed away. She has a number of 1st to her credit as she was the 1st Member of Parliament (1977), the 1st MLA, 1st minister (1964-66 and 1972-74) & 1st leader of Opposition in the Haryana assembly (1982-85).
Renowned Sculptor and Padma Shri Awardee Arjun Prajapati Passed Away at 64:
- Renowned Sculptor and Padma shri awardee Arjun Prajapati from Rajasthan passed away. He was popularly known as the “Maharathi of Cloning” – master of cloning, since he has cloned celebrities like Prince Charles of Britain, former US President Bill Clinton, Padmashree Pandit Vishwamohan Bhatt.
Noted journalist and writer Ravi Belagere passes away at 62:
- Noted journalist and writer Ravi Belagere passed away due to heart attack. He was from Karnataka. He was famous for writings on the crime world and his column ‘Paapigala Lokadalli’ was very popular.
Former President of Ghana Jerry Rawlings Passed Away at 73:
- Jerry John Rawlings, former president of Ghana passed away due to short illness. He is the First president of the 4th republic of Ghana. He is the founder of National Democratic Congress (NDC). He is a former air force officer and military leader.
Lewis Hamilton wins Turkish GP to clinch record-equalling seventh F1 title:
- Lewis Hamilton won Turkish Grand Prix to win F1 2020 world championship. With this, he equalled Michael Schumacher’s record of winning seven F1 world titles. Hamilton also extended his record of winning most races in F1 history to 94 with win in Istanbul.
- Sergio Perez (Racing Point-BWT- Mexico) secured second position and Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari finished third.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of November 14, 15 & 16, 2020 now from the link given below.
Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 14, 15 & 16, 2020
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.